Everyone is confused about carbs That's the conclusion of keto thought-leader and best-selling author, Dr. EricWestman,who has written a book to clear up our misconceptions about how to lose weight and still eat carbs:End Your Carb Confusion: A Simple Guide to Customize Your Carb Intake For OptimalHealth(coming out December 15th). He teamed up with Amy Berger CNS to teach ushow to use carbs to fuel our healthy bodies and reach our weight loss goals, without having to worry about ketones.
Dr. Westman is an obesity doctor and expert who has helped patients lose over 26,000 pounds, at his Keto Medicine Clinic at Duke University and helped patients reverse conditions like type 2 diabetes, PCOS, high blood pressure, and more. He shares his advice here, and it's super simple. We each have an individual tolerance for carbs, but everyone should give up sugar.
"Each individualhas a carb threshold," explains Dr. Westman. It's knowing yours that is the key to unlocking your healthy weight loss as you allow healthy whole-grain carbs into your diet," he says. He adds that the keto diet is not unhealthy in itself, it's how you go keto that poses a potential healthrisk. "Eating carbs, in the form of vegetables and fruits, is actually healthy for you and allows you to get essential nutrients your body needs," Dr. Westman explains. "When the keto diet really took hold, there was a wave of information and, sadly, misinformation out there, and folks got confused and stopped eating carbs."
No need.The aim of Dr.Westman's new book is to put to bed the confusionabout carb consumption and how to eat carbs the right way. InEnd Your Carb Confusion, the authors share atime-tested & science-backed strategy where they explain how to find the levelof carbohydrate intake that's right for each individual.
"I've been known for my work in low-carb diets and was actually one of the early researchers who started working with Dr. Atkins when he was first studying the best way to help people lose weight, even before the Atkins Diet was published. We published it and then I taught in 18 countries. I have also studied a low-glycemic diet and a low-fat diet. It's great to see keto become so popular. The whole low-fat tend made a lot of things worse, since we now know that it's not fat that's the problem, it's sugar.
So basically everyone got the message that carbs are bad.But how low on the spectrum do you have to go?If your metabolism is okay, you can eat more carbs, or if you're young and super active and don't have a case of diabetes, high blood sugar, or metabolic syndrome, you can tolerate carbs. These areconditions keto is great for.
But there is going to be a limited audience for those who even consider doing keto.We wanted to take a broader audience who might not want to do keto because they have to give up bread and pasta etc. Instead, I want to teach them that carbs are not the bad guy, Sugar is the bad guy.The other common-sense thing to realize is that we are all different when it comes to what works. Think about it: We all have relatives and friends whocan eat carbs, so why is that. So hopefully it will explain the obvious that there are a lot of people eating carbs and they're healthy.
"I don't think everyone has to do keto to lose weight," said Dr. Westman, "but here is the knowledge Ihave from decades of doing research on the commonality of all diets that are healthy: You want to eliminate refined sugar or refined starches like bread, pasta, white rice, and all processed foods. You want to eliminate things made in a factory: like Cheetos and candy bars." Other than that, individuals have to find their own tolerance for the whole-food carbs they eat, especially when it comes to fruit and vegetables, he adds.
Dr. Westman offersguidelines to proceed with caution toward whole foods that drive up insulin. "I don't push fruits or some vegetables (like potatoes), and that has been a cause for some consternation among those who are looking for a low fat, healthy diet. You get all the nutrients you need on a low-carb diet. You can eat any kind of plant-based diet and have high fiber foods, but watch how much high-glycemic fruit you are eating in a day.
What I can give is the perspective from years of research is that ahealthy diet is one where you keep sugar low. Eating an apple is fine, as long as your metabolism is normal. My brother can eat a lot of fruit, but I can't. What I have seen it in my clinic is that the diet that works for one person is not great for another. You will get some natural sugar in an apple, but keep in mind that a medium-sized apple has about20 grams of sugar, so you may not want to eat five apples a day.
"We look at the context of an entire dietary pattern, exclusive of sugar, refined carbs or candy. But then you meet someone who can eat all carbs they want and stay slim.There are a lot of individual differences and the optimal diet for your health will depend upon matching the carbohydrate level to your metabolism. Now people think you have to moderate carbs more than you do fats, but that is a new view.
"The other part of the book is to make it simple, sowe don't ask people to count the fiber grams and the sugars and the fat grams. I don't think there is a science to say you need to do that. There are a lot of ways to eat healthily and lose weight.
"Sugar addiction is real. A lot of people can eat sugar and drink alcohol but others can't," he explains."I follow a low-carb diet because it's tasty and it works. The research showed me this. I have found that for some people it's harder to give up carbs than cigarettes. Sometimes I wish that sugar was smelly because that would up the pressure to not have it.
"I have seen people get bariatric surgery because they can't get rid of the sugar. I want people to get the message that losing weight is not about the fat you eat, it's about the carbs you eat. You don't have to do keto to be healthy in general. You just have to quit sugar."
Read the original here:
You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020