For some men the change makes them feel sluggish, easily fatigued and with reducedlibido. For others, exercise gains dont come as easily as they used to. All of these are symptoms of aging common to both sexes. But an entire industry has grown around convincing men that these changes aredue to low testosterone levels andthat they can be prevented by taking hormone supplements. But studies havent reliably shown that testosterone therapy combats these symptoms. And a new set of studies echo earlier concerns that testosterone treatments might actuallyworsen heart disease.
Men lose some testosterone production as they age througha process called andropause. Testosterone is a sex hormone made in the testicles. This hormonal shift is much more subtle than menopause that dramatic drop in estrogen production that causes women to lose fertility around age 50. Men lose somewhere around 1 percent of their testosterone production each year after age 30, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Unsurprisingly the range in testosterone levels in young men varies wildly, from 300 to 950 ng/dL. Somewhere around 10 percent of boys and men do develop hypogonadism, a significant drop in testosterone production caused by damage to the testes or the biomechansims that simulate the testicles. Experts agree that hypogonadism should be treated with testosterone.
But the age-related testosterone decline known as low T is more subtle. The T Trials are a set of large NIH-funded clinical studies that aimed to measure how testosterone therapy affected a slew of age-related health symptoms and how safe the treatment was. From Richard Hodes the Director of the National Institute of Aging:
Many of these men also have problems that could be related to low testosterone, including impaired cognition, anemia, cardiovascular disease, diminished sexual function, decreased mobility and fatigue. The T Trials were designed to determine if testosterone treatment might help alleviate these symptoms and conditions while monitoring for adverse effects.
Results from the trials were published in February 2017 in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). Testosterone therapy increased bone density in men, which is thought to protect people from fall-related injuries. The therapy didnt have an affect on anemia. Testosterone-treated men had the same levels of red blood cells as the control group. Anemia is often related to feelings of fatigue. And there was no difference in cognitive functioning and memory tests when men used testosterone supplementation or didnt.
But the study results that really made headlines was the discovery that the men who received testosterone had increased signs of heart disease. Doctors measured the thickness of plaque in the coronary artery before treatment and after a year. The men who used testosterone saw their coronary artery plaque increase about 47 cubic millimeters compared to the control group. From ARS Technica:
But for cardiovascular health, there was an effecta bad one. Over the year,plaque buildup in the coronary arterywhich is a risk factor for heart diseaseincreased in 73 men on testosterone compared with 65 on placebo. However, other studies have found mixed results on this. Longer, bigger trials will be needed to sort out the risks.
The T trials add to a growing body of evidence suggestingtestosterone treatment may worsen or advance cardiovascular disease. Critics could argue that measuring arterial plaque isnt as effective at measuring heart disease as counting the number of heart attacks and strokes. But other studies go back and forth, showingprotective or detrimental effects for testosterone treatment on heart disease. But heart disease is the most common cause of death for men in the age group that seekstestosterone treatment. Thats potentially concerning.
Testosterone treatment is also definitively linked to prostate cancer. In fact, many men with the cancer use androgen deprivation therapy, essentially giving themselves low T to help slow tumor growth and prevent the formation of new ones.
Hodes, from the NIA, cautioned in a press release that testosterone treatments should be individualized to take into account personal risk factors. The evidence suggests it would be unwise for men with existing heart disease or prostate cancer to use testosterone therapy. The evidence on prostate cancer isstrong enough thatmen at high risk for the cancer should probably stay away from it.
And while studies proving effectiveness and safety are likely to continuerolling in, there is argument among physicians about whether low T actually exists at all. From the Atlantic:
According to British Medical Journal (BMJ), the European Male Ageing Study has provided the best estimate of the prevalence of low T defined as a combination of sexual symptoms and measured testosterone level finding that only 0.1 percent of men in their forties, 0.6 percent in their fifties, 3.2 percent in their sixties, and 5.1 percent of men in their seventies would meet the criteria for the diagnosis.
And there are causality questions surrounding some of the conditions that have been linked to low T.Obesity for example, could cause the decline in testosterone rather than testosterone decline causing obesity. Also from the Atlantic:
Dr. Kathleen Wyne [an endocrinologist said] although she has seen an increase in male patients asking about low testosterone, she hasnt seen an actual increase in the condition itself. I do see an increase in guys who are fatter, she said. The question is whether, if you lose 15 or 20 pounds, your testosterone would revert [to normal]. We know that even 15 pounds makes a huge difference to their level. Most of these guys actually have 50 pounds to lose.
Androgen and other formulas of synthetic testosterone are available by physician prescription. But many people, especially within the body-building community, use high doses of the drug without physical supervision. These young men, without underlying testosterone deficiency sometimes report side effects like irritability and mood swings. One Florida man even used testosterone-induced-insanity as a defense strategy in the 2013 murder of his wife. It didnt work. He was found guilty and is serving a life sentence.
Besides the cheesy advertisements and ridiculous television adds, there is a great deal to be skeptical about when it comes to treating low T. Its a decision that should be discussed with the doctor. And for men with heart disease or a family history of prostate cancer, the known risks should probably outweigh the benefits. For everyone else, low T treatments maybe just a costly placebo.
Meredith Knight is a frequent contributor to the Genetic Literacy Project and freelance science and health writer based in Austin, Texas. Follow her @meremereknight.
For more background on the Genetic Literacy Project, read GLP on Wikipedia
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017
- 9 Surprising Facts About Your Sex Drive (and Your Partner's!) - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 30th, 2017
- Male Menopause: The Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Dr. Paul Clayton, SSO of Gencor and Researcher of Testofen, is Interviewed on FiveHundo.com - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2017
- Is male menopause real? Low testosterone level signs and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - April 24th, 2017