We all know that sleep is the glue that holds us together, but what happens when you start waking up at the same time every night? Its annoying to say the least, and can seriously disrupt our day-to-day lives, particularly if you arent getting the recommended seven to nine hours over a 24-hour period.
There are lots of reasons this happens, but often waking at the same time every night can be solved with your diet. We asked a nutritionist to explain
Nutritionist and health expert Libby Limon explains that there are a number of reasons why we could be waking up at the same time every night including circadian rhythms, sleep cycles or even something loud waking you up.
None of these are really a problem unless you are then not able to get back to sleep easily or you are waking up not feeling refreshed, says Libby.
Another more disturbing reason, which may mean you cant back to sleep or wake up feeling exhausting, is imbalance of hormones, particularly your stress hormone cortisol and sleep hormone melatonin.
Libby explains that cortisol is our stress hormone. Stress is a common factor that could cause you to wake up.
It can be stimulated by any kind of stress, emotional or physical like exercise or illness. It is also a circadian hormone that should be low at night before bed and then rise over night to help you wake naturally in the morning refreshed. If it is overstimulated you can become tired and wired.
Think about ways to de-stress and restore some calm into your life. Libby explains: This could be spending less time on social media (especially before bed) and making more time to read or practicing mindfulness. Or if you are being disturbed in the night, try sleeping with earplugs and an eye mask to see if you wake up less. There are some great apps that can help you get back to sleep too.
Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. If your melatonin levels are low you could be waking you up at night. This can happen if you dont get enough day light or dont make enough serotonin, a neurotransmitter, which is also the precursor to melatonin.
Finally, ensuring your circadian rhythm is in check can be a key help.
A circadian rhythm is a natural, internal process that regulates the sleep-wake cycle and repeats roughly every 24 hours. These 24-hour rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and they have been widely observed in all living organisms. The circadian clock is internally set in our bodies but is driven by external cues such as light, temperature, meal times and redox cycles, explains Libby.
Libby explains that diet can impact our sleep and help stop you waking at the same time every night: If youre unable to get quality or refreshing amounts of sleep, then this is when it would be advised to make some diet and lifestyle changes to help or get some professional health.
Libby goes on to explain that low levels of certain micronutrients are also needed for sleep and relaxation, and we may find that we are low in these nutrients.
Magnesium is commonly insufficient in the western diet yet it plays a role in supporting deep, restorative sleep by maintaining healthy levels of GABA, a neurotransmitter that promotes sleep. It could make a huge amount of difference to your sleep by taking a supplement to top up your levels, says Libby.
SHOP NOW: Magnesium by Link Nutrition (15.95 for 30 capsules, linkNutrition.com).
Libby adds: Equally, high blood sugar can lead to an overproduction of cortisol, so make sure you have regular balanced meals, which include protein, healthy fats, fibres and complex carbohydrates.
Reduce refined carbs in the form of sugars and white grains and eat tryptophan-rich foods. Tryptophan is an amino acid that is a precursor to melatonin (sleep hormone) and can be found in high levels in poultry, cheese, fish and eggs as well as peanuts and pumpkin seeds.
Nutritionist Shona Wilkinson also adds that you could try taking a herbal supplement designed to enhance sleep.
We love Unbeelievable Healths Bee Rested (12.99 for 20 capsules, Holland & Barrett)
SHOP NOW: Unbeelievable Healths Bee Rested (12.99 for 20 capsules, Holland & Barrett)
It contains nine therapeutic ingredients to help you rest and sleep, even when your brain is buzzing. Lavender helps you to find better sleep while chamomile contributes to relaxation and helps to maintain sleep, griffonia seed extract which provides 5- HTP; a substance which converts into serotonin and then melatonin the sleep hormone, says Shona.
Libby does add that if you feel that waking at the same time every night and poor sleep is affecting your mood or physical health then it could be a contributor to other health issues.
Equally there are some conditions in which insomnia is a symptom, so if it is suddenly a severe problem out of the blue it is advised to seek medical advice, she says.
- There's evidence that exercise after consuming olive oil could trigger changes linked to longevity - Insider - INSIDER - February 27th, 2020
- Sen. Markey Encourages National Health Institute To Study Impact of Technology on Children - framinghamsource.com - February 27th, 2020
- How to be an ally to those with eating disorders - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 27th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Shake Shacks Executive Chef, Who Taste-Tests Burgers Between Marathons - GQ - February 27th, 2020
- At Eagles Trace, Relationships Thrive Through Connection - Patch.com - February 27th, 2020
- Simple Diet Changes Helped This Guy Build Muscle and Get Shredded in 6 Weeks - menshealth.com - February 27th, 2020
- Researchers found a cure for diabetes (in lab mice) - The Next Web - February 27th, 2020
- I ate like a toddler for a week, and it transformed my relationship with breakfast - Insider - INSIDER - February 27th, 2020
- After Sharing Struggles With Infertility, the Food Network's Katie Lee Has a Baby on the Way! - POPSUGAR - February 27th, 2020
- 5 reasons you are exercising and still not losing weight - Pulse Live Kenya - February 27th, 2020
- 5 Lifestyle Tweaks That Will Dramatically Improve One's Wellbeing, with Tomomi Tsuchio and Dr. William Seeds - Thrive Global - February 27th, 2020
- Trumps Doctor Thought He Had a Ticket to Congress. It Hasnt Been So Easy. - The New York Times - February 27th, 2020
- Health-benefits Of Human Anatomy From Science Exercise Routine - My Duhawk - February 27th, 2020
- Lose up to two stone in ten weeks - Galway Advertiser - February 27th, 2020
- Lifestyle Choices and Prostate Cancer - Cancer Therapy Advisor - February 27th, 2020
- 5 Effects of High Blood Pressure on Your Body - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 27th, 2020
- Former White House physician hid cauliflower in Trumps mashed potatoes to improve his diet - AlterNet - February 27th, 2020
- Baboons captured after running loose in Sydney's inner west - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 27th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This guy followed the Keto diet and lost 11 kilos in just 2 months! This is his diet - Times of India - February 24th, 2020
- Five ways to improve flexibility - The Guardian - February 24th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 6 easy ways to burn visceral fat, feel fitter and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - February 24th, 2020
- The importance of checking your blood pressure regularly - FOX 31 Denver - February 24th, 2020
- Staying heart healthy: What you need to know at the end of Heart Health Month - KRDO - February 24th, 2020
- Two Million People Could Be Diabetic In The Next 5 Years: Know The Best Preventive Tips For Keeping Type 2 Diabetes Away - Doctor NDTV - February 24th, 2020
- Signs Of Heart Disease When There Are No Obvious Symptoms - KERA News - February 24th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet scores another win for longevity by improving microbiome - CNN - February 24th, 2020
- The Sirtfood Diet: The 411 On Adeles Weight Loss Method - Momtastic - February 24th, 2020
- Signal of high blood pressure that you can find surprisingly in your hair - NewsDio - February 24th, 2020
- Prevention is key to maintaining a healthy heart - centraljersey.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Human Condition: When that long walk for exercise takes you to the ice cream parlor - The Advocate - February 22nd, 2020
- The Old Guy: Loving support for a partner with health concerns - SILive.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Foods That Help Ease Menopausal Symptoms - Everyday Health - February 22nd, 2020
- The Full List of Foods You Can Eat on the Noom Diet - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Kelly Ripa, 49, Quit Drinking and Eats an Alkaline Diet to Look and Feel Her Best - Prevention.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Mark Spitz: The Real-Life Diet of the Legendary Swimmer Who Still Does Imaginary Races Against Michael Phelps - GQ - February 22nd, 2020
- Father Forced His 9-Year-Old Daughter to Adopt Strict Diet and Exercise Regimen - Distractify - February 22nd, 2020
- Looking to Build a Stronger Butt? Here Are 5 Foods to Eat (and 2 to Avoid) - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 22nd, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: The alternative exercise proven to reduce harmful belly fat - Express - February 22nd, 2020
- Fad of Matching Diet to DNA Ineffective, New Study Shows - The Great Courses Daily News - February 22nd, 2020
- Chin up vs pull up: what's the difference, muscles worked and WHAT IS THE BEST ONE? - T3 - February 22nd, 2020
- Flexitarian diet: All you need to know about this balanced diet option - Republic World - Republic World - February 22nd, 2020
- The Irish Times view on the Mediterranean diet: good for the gut - The Irish Times - February 22nd, 2020
- Benefits, fun can be found by getting fit in a group - The Robesonian - February 22nd, 2020
- DNA Diet Hailed as Key to Weight Loss, But Don't Bet Your Genes On It - Celebrity Health & Fitness - February 22nd, 2020
- Tips on using diet and exercise to prevent heart disease - WISHTV.com - February 19th, 2020
- Exercise Makes It Easier To Maintain A Healthy Diet, Doesnt Cause Increased Appetite - Study Finds - February 19th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet scores another win for longevity by improving microbiome - KTVZ - February 19th, 2020
- As Wave of Baby Boomers Enter Retirement, Journey Capital and SilverPoint Senior Living Team Up to Build Modern Senior Living Communities - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2020
- Personal trainers given tools to spot 'red flags' of eating disorders - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 19th, 2020
- How to eat, sleep, train and boost your mood during your menstrual cycle - Telegraph.co.uk - February 19th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to combine intermittent fasting & keto to lose weight, as per this guy who lost 33 kg - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- Joel Reece encourages students to know their eating habits and avoid excessive refined carbohydrates - Ke Alakai - February 15th, 2020
- What Really Happens to Your Body When You Lose 10 Pounds - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 15th, 2020
- Gearing up for my annual battle with cabin fever - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - February 15th, 2020
- Various classes offer students and community opportunities to practice mindfulness - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 15th, 2020
- What we can all learn from Henry Cavill's health and wellbeing rituals - harpersbazaar.com - February 15th, 2020
- Using the bodys natural cycle to improve shift workers health - Medical News Today - February 15th, 2020
- Disordered Eating and Compulsive Exercise in Collegiate Athletes: Applications for Sport and Research - United States Sports Academy Sports Journal - February 15th, 2020
- Springfield Hospital Looks To Sever Ties With Clinics In Bankruptcy Plan - Vermont Public Radio - February 15th, 2020
- Following a keto diet could weaken your bones and increase your risk of injury - Luton Today - February 15th, 2020
- Start your Health Journey with Live Well Exercise Clinic - North Shore News - February 15th, 2020
- NewsRadio 1120 KMOX Released an Interview With STL Beds Owners and Family Members Dave and Doug Belleville - PR Web - February 15th, 2020
- Leg Cramps on Keto: Causes, Treatment, and More - Healthline - February 15th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for February 14 - Mumbai Mirror - February 15th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani Reveals 15 Things She Does To Look So Young - TheThings - February 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about carbs - 9Honey - February 15th, 2020
- The Best Diet And Fitness Tips Kate Middleton Swears By - Women's Health - February 12th, 2020
- Is there a connection between diabetes and heart health? - Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- FHN News: 20 tips for a healthy heart this Valentines Day - Freeport Journal-Standard - February 12th, 2020
- Bob Roper | The fires of California: Past the tipping point? - YubaNet - February 12th, 2020
- This Research-Backed Trick Can Help Healthy Eating Stick - Runner's World - February 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: Do this much exercise each week to increase your life expectancy - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Steps to Improve and Maintain Your Heart Health - DeKalb Daily Chronicle - February 12th, 2020
- This Man Lost 82 Pounds Through Fasting and Tackling the Carnivore Diet - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Reducing the Risks - outsmartmagazine.com - February 12th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting is the best diet for weight loss, but the Mediterranean diet is easier to stick to and healthier overall, study finds - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- What is the alkaline diet and can it lead to weight loss? - ABC News - February 12th, 2020
- Embracing Your Postpartum Body And Ignoring The Pressure To "Bounce Back" - GirlTalkHQ - February 12th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield fitness: This Morning presenter reveals how he stays in shape - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Diabetes support group's good start The Voice - The Spalding and South Holland Voice - February 12th, 2020