If you arent losing weight on the keto diet, you may not be following it correctly.
Most people who do the keto diet will lose weight, but you have to follow it strictly and be in a calorie deficit to make it work.
Over time, you may hit a keto plateau where you will stop losing weight, even while following the same diet.
Even if you dont lose weight, a slightly higher number on the scale may not always be a bad sign if you are gaining muscle.
This article was reviewed bySamantha Cassetty, MS, RD, nutrition and wellness expert with a private practice based in New York City.
Visit Insiders homepage for more stories.
The keto diet is a popular way to lose weight and improve health. But not everyone loses weight on keto, and some stop losing weight after a few months.
If you arent meeting your weight goals on the ketogenic diet, you may need to make some adjustments or talk with a registered dietitian. Here are some reasons why you might not be losing weight on keto.
The main purpose of the ketogenic diet is to send your body into ketosis. Ketosis is a state where your metabolism shifts from burning carbohydrates for fuel to fat cells, instead.
However, it can take a lot of careful planning to put your body into ketosis. And it wont happen immediately. It can take anywhere from two to seven days of extreme carb restriction to reach ketosis.
You can check to see if you are really in ketosis using at-home urine test strips. These strips detect ketones, substances your liver creates when processing fat.
However, being in ketosis is not going to make you lose weight if you are still taking in too many calories, says Scott Keatley, RD, a dietitian at Keatley Medical Nutrition Therapy.
Losing weight on the keto diet is like losing weight on any diet you need to burn more calories in the day than you consume.
The restriction does not need to be extreme, but you should be at a caloric deficit.
Being in ketosis makes this a little easier since with the right foods it can reduce your appetite so youre less hungry and therefore, less likely to overeat.
Some foods to eat on keto that will help you feel full are:
Fiber-rich, low-carb vegetables like leafy greens, broccoli, and asparagus
Lean, protein-packed meat like seafood and poultry.
Healthy fatty foods like avocados, nuts, and seeds.
However, if youre still having trouble controlling your caloric intake, here are some tips:
Replace any sugary drinks you might have with flavored water.
Measure out snacks beforehand so you dont unconsciously consume too much.
Track your calories with one of Insider Reviews best weight loss apps.
If you restrict calories too much to less than 1,200 per day for the average adult this can also slow your weight loss goals. Because when you dont eat enough it can send your body into starvation mode, where your metabolism slows down and you may stop losing weight.
Numerous studies indicate a strong link between stress and obesity. Part of the reason could be related to the fact that stress increases levels of the stress hormone cortisol in your body, which leads to enhanced appetite and potentially overeating and subsequent weight gain.
Some simple ways to relieve stress include:
Getting more sleep
Connecting with loved ones
The Department of Health and Human Services recommends adults complete at least 150-300 minutes of moderate exercise per week. Physical activity is important for many reasons, including maintaining a healthy weight.
Regular exercise can also help reduce stress levels, boosting your chances of appetite control and weight loss. Some tips to maintaining a regular workout routine include:
Choose a workout regimen you enjoy.
Find a workout partner(s) to hold you accountable.
Make long-term goals to work toward.
Even if you are keeping your metabolism up, your weight loss may still slow down over time. As you cut calories and lose weight, your body will adapt to the change and start needing fewer calories to keep itself going, says Keatley. In other words, people tend to hit a weight loss plateau.
However, Keatley says that you should not use the scale as your only measure of progress. Lean muscle is denser than fat, so burning fat and building muscle can actually lead to a slight weight increase. The scale may freak you out when the change happening is positive, Keatley says.
There are certain medical conditions that are associated with weight gain, making it exceptionally difficult to lose weight. Many of these conditions are hormonal disorders like Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), diabetes, Cushings syndrome, and hypothyroidism.
Cutting carbs on the keto diet can lead to rapid weight loss. But if youre not losing weight, make sure youre in ketosis, not eating too many calories, and are controlling your stress levels.
If youre considering trying the keto diet to lose weight, Keatley says, I would advise anyone thinking of a keto diet to talk to their doctor and a dietitian before, during, and after.
Read the original article on Insider
Read this article:
Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Report Door
- Gaining weight can be difficult but here are the safest ways to do it - The Conversation UK - November 27th, 2020
- 7 Low-Carb Diet Foods That Can Help You Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 27th, 2020
- Health tips for men: Lifestyle changes that will help you lose weight and improve your overall health - fingerlakes1.com - November 27th, 2020
- Age No Barrier to Weight Loss in Those With Morbid Obesity - Medscape - November 27th, 2020
- Age Doesn't Matter When It Comes to Losing Weight, Study - Science Times - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I have a hot cup of amla jeera water every morning - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss: "My IT career made me pile on 25 kilos! Here is how I lost it and became a bodybuilder" - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- 3 inspiring tips that helped this woman lose 95 kilograms - 7NEWS.com.au - November 27th, 2020
- Jeff Dana of Prolean Wellness will show you how to lose weight during the holidays - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- 5 Smoothie Rules You Must Follow to Lose Weight - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 27th, 2020
- "I Will Never Stress You About Losing Weight" - Actress Nazo Ekezie Vows As She Begs For A Relationship With Don Jazzy - GH Gossip - November 27th, 2020
- NY COVID hospitalizations top 3,000 for first time in months - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - November 27th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet - November 9th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020