Dubai: Unlike women who undergo bodily changes due to drop in hormone production at a certain age, it is not clear when men start undergoing the change in their lives.
In men it is not certain when it starts, but anytime from the 50s men begin experiencing the symptoms. People are shy to talk about it and we have to prod into the [medical] history to find out, says Dr Samir Shirodkar, specialist urologist at Mediclinic Welcare Hospital.
The reason why men are hesitant to talk about the changes they undergo is because one of the symptoms is a loss of libido.
The changes that occur in men are also hormonal related and said to be due to a drop in testosterone. This change in a mans life is termed as andropause and doctors also term it as androgen (testosterone) deficiency.
There is a loss of vitality, vigour, a feeling of fatigue and tiredness. You start to complain of vague aches and pains that you cannot explain. You are not as enthusiastic to do the routine things as you were doing earlier. There is a decreased ability to perform in bed, says the doctor.
The symptoms are very much like depression and the doctor has to make sure that there is no other illness that can be attributed to such a change that occurs slowly and not as well-defined as in women in menopause.
One has to accept that you are progressing in age, says Dr Shirodkar. But he notes that, If you are young at heart, you are always going to be young. There are also ways to put off the symptoms or to curb such changes.
While ageing reduces the production of testosterone, serious diseases such as diabetes could also lower the hormonal levels.
The testosterone levels (T Level) in men decline by around 1 to 2 per cent every year from the age of 40 years. But bad lifestyle choices are also responsible for the symptoms mentioned. These may be due to relationships issues also such separation or divorce or money issues.
Most men may suffer from a mid-life crisis that can also trigger such symptoms. During this phase in life some men believe that half their life has passed by and they either do something outrageous or go into depression. At this time drinking would exasperate the problem.
Diagnosing male menopause
The doctor will first do a physical examination and order a blood test that will measure the testosterone level.
While testosterone levels may be low as men age, the testes do not run out of the substance to make the hormone. Men can continue to make sperm into their 80s or longer, unlike women when the production of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone comes to a halt.
To help curb the changes, the doctor says testosterone supplements are given to boost the hormone levels. The supplements come in tablets, gels and some are even injected.
Dieticians will also tell you at this point to reinforce your diet with foods rich in zinc. They will advise that foods such as oysters, or herbs and nuts help increase the testosterone in the body.
Diets that are rich in mono-saturated fats, found in avocados and nuts help boost the hormone. Dark chocolate is also recommended.
The doctor cautions however, that like most supplements, testosterone supplements could have side-effects. Some of the risks involved include skin reactions, enlarged breasts, and may stimulate non-cancerous growth of the prostate, and it is essential the supplements are taken under a doctors supervision.
Doctor Shirodkar says that while the UAEs population is relatively young there is a significant number of expatriates who are growing older. There are people who have been living here for 10 or 20 years and time catches up with you, he says. Still, he believes that you will only be as old you feel. If you are mentally young at heart, you dont age as fast, he says.
There are other ways that one can slowdown ageing and delay the onset of andropause. Make lifestyle changes and maintain a good diet, he says.
Besides other environmental factors, smoking worsens your (sexual) performance, he says. Many lifestyle issues need to be corrected as a whole, he says.
To keep yourself fit, do 30 minutes of exercise, five days a week, the doctor recommends. Avoid junk food, reduce your salt intake and drink adequate amounts of water.
Doctor Shirodkar says that generally men do not take care of their health, but people have to be aware that there are medications they can access and that there is professional medical help available.
Read the original here:
Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com
- Do you have symptoms of low testosterone? - KTAR.com - December 18th, 2020
- Phoenix Hormone Replacement Therapy Mental Wellness Anxiety Relief Launched - Newswire - November 30th, 2020
- The Movember Series: Must make safe spaces for men to talk about their health: Nivendra Uduman - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 28th, 2020
- Understanding the andropause. - High50 - November 28th, 2020
- Irish men urged not to ignore andropause symptoms - Agriland - November 16th, 2020
- Andropause: Not the same as menopause but needs to be addressed - The Star Online - October 30th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017