THOMAS SAMSONGetty Images
Much has been spoken of Henry Cavills punishing diet and exercise regimes, unsurprisingly for someone synonymous with Superman, with real-life comic-book good looks. Since taking on the role of genetically enhanced monster slayer Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher workout (involving daily fasting, cardio and weights session) has become a big search term, while his intense dehydration diet employed for shirtless scenes went viral. But behind the cape or leather armour donned for his characters, the British actor has some relatable rituals that non-superstars (or superheroes) can easily employ.
Cavill confirms there's a lot of gym work in his weekly schedule. When hes shooting a movie or series, to make sure that I can survive it, he trains twice a day.
Yes, its definitely for aesthetic reasons, he admits, but its also for the ability to actually manage an arduous shoot for seven to eight months or whatever it may be. Working 14-hour days does take its toll.
Regardless, his ethos is about trying to stay as healthy as possible. That means clean eating, too.
The most important thing for diet is knowledge and preparation, he tells us. And its very difficult for us as people who are busy running around doing our jobs to gain all that knowledge. His solution? If you can find a person or company who can do the knowledge part for you, so you know what your goals are, they can at least give you the information so you can do food prep, for example. This is is enormously helpful, Cavill says, allowing you to be in control of your nutrition.
I have found food prep to be a massive saving grace for me, time-wise and health-wise
I have found food prep to be a massive saving grace for me, time-wise and health-wise, because then I know what Im having and when. Therefore, he can eat as cleanly as possible when working, and then once a week Ill have a meal that I really want to have and thatll be off-diet.
Cavill will suffer for his art, but he knows its just that. On The Graham Norton Show he recently revealed how he would limit his water intake when filming for The Witcher. On the first day youll have a litre and a half, and the second day half a litre, and then the third day, no water, and youll shoot on the fourth [day], he explained.
Will this be a repeat performance? When it comes to shirtless stuff I would absolutely do it again, he says. But I do not recommend it: its not healthy. It doesnt feel good but it does look good! He tells us he only does the the light version of it, (apparently bodybuilders go hard). But for me, if it sells a character to an audience then yes absolutely Ill do it, but if its going to be a risk to my health, then no.
The actor knows that he has a professional trainer observing him, making sure that Im okay and that I have all the right things going into my system. For us mere mortals, its the opposite of what hed recommend.
Dehydration diets aside, Cavill is water obsessed. I was looking to start my own water [brand], he tells us, I was researching various springs around the UK; I wanted it to be environmentally responsible and ethical. He then met David and Bonita Spencer-Percival, founders of No1 Botanicals, who extract the compounds out of herbs and make pure botanical drinks with them.
Cavills now partnered with the couple, enabling him to drink a lot of the No1 Rosemary Water. It completely replaces my regular water intake, he reveals. I love the stuff. The only time I dont [drink it] is when Im in the gym because then I have electrolytes.
This completely replaces my regular water intake
To grasp the botanical science behind it, Cavill made a short documentary in Acciaroli, Italy, to see why the villagers are living long, happy, healthy lives. Indeed, they consume heaps of rosemary, but he assures us theres heavyweight science beneath the romantic concept.
Indeed, Cavill feels it himself. I realised quite quickly that my body was craving it. It really wanted it, and I started to feel better when I was drinking it. I noticed a massive difference when I was working on The Witcher - in prep when I had a window to do all my work for the day I was drinking this stuff and instantly felt sharper. The brain just started firing and it really, really helped.
The tangible health benefits of ancient herbal wisdom is becoming apparent to Cavill.
While he wasnt conscious to include herbs in his diet before, now that Im learning about super herbs, and they are important to include he feels. Especially if you want to live your life to the fullest; if you want to take full advantage of everything the body and mind is keyed to do. So, we can all play Superman?
Its as simple that, he adds. If you start putting this stuff in your body, it works better and more efficiently.
Like this article? Sign up to our new newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
- Tips on using diet and exercise to prevent heart disease - WISHTV.com - February 19th, 2020
- Exercise Makes It Easier To Maintain A Healthy Diet, Doesnt Cause Increased Appetite - Study Finds - February 19th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet scores another win for longevity by improving microbiome - KTVZ - February 19th, 2020
- As Wave of Baby Boomers Enter Retirement, Journey Capital and SilverPoint Senior Living Team Up to Build Modern Senior Living Communities - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2020
- Personal trainers given tools to spot 'red flags' of eating disorders - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 19th, 2020
- How to eat, sleep, train and boost your mood during your menstrual cycle - Telegraph.co.uk - February 19th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to combine intermittent fasting & keto to lose weight, as per this guy who lost 33 kg - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- Joel Reece encourages students to know their eating habits and avoid excessive refined carbohydrates - Ke Alakai - February 15th, 2020
- What Really Happens to Your Body When You Lose 10 Pounds - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 15th, 2020
- Gearing up for my annual battle with cabin fever - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - February 15th, 2020
- Various classes offer students and community opportunities to practice mindfulness - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 15th, 2020
- Using the bodys natural cycle to improve shift workers health - Medical News Today - February 15th, 2020
- Disordered Eating and Compulsive Exercise in Collegiate Athletes: Applications for Sport and Research - United States Sports Academy Sports Journal - February 15th, 2020
- Springfield Hospital Looks To Sever Ties With Clinics In Bankruptcy Plan - Vermont Public Radio - February 15th, 2020
- Following a keto diet could weaken your bones and increase your risk of injury - Luton Today - February 15th, 2020
- Start your Health Journey with Live Well Exercise Clinic - North Shore News - February 15th, 2020
- NewsRadio 1120 KMOX Released an Interview With STL Beds Owners and Family Members Dave and Doug Belleville - PR Web - February 15th, 2020
- Leg Cramps on Keto: Causes, Treatment, and More - Healthline - February 15th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for February 14 - Mumbai Mirror - February 15th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani Reveals 15 Things She Does To Look So Young - TheThings - February 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about carbs - 9Honey - February 15th, 2020
- The Best Diet And Fitness Tips Kate Middleton Swears By - Women's Health - February 12th, 2020
- Is there a connection between diabetes and heart health? - Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- FHN News: 20 tips for a healthy heart this Valentines Day - Freeport Journal-Standard - February 12th, 2020
- Bob Roper | The fires of California: Past the tipping point? - YubaNet - February 12th, 2020
- This Research-Backed Trick Can Help Healthy Eating Stick - Runner's World - February 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: Do this much exercise each week to increase your life expectancy - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Steps to Improve and Maintain Your Heart Health - DeKalb Daily Chronicle - February 12th, 2020
- This Man Lost 82 Pounds Through Fasting and Tackling the Carnivore Diet - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Reducing the Risks - outsmartmagazine.com - February 12th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting is the best diet for weight loss, but the Mediterranean diet is easier to stick to and healthier overall, study finds - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- What is the alkaline diet and can it lead to weight loss? - ABC News - February 12th, 2020
- Embracing Your Postpartum Body And Ignoring The Pressure To "Bounce Back" - GirlTalkHQ - February 12th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield fitness: This Morning presenter reveals how he stays in shape - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Diabetes support group's good start The Voice - The Spalding and South Holland Voice - February 12th, 2020
- Lifestyle secrets of some of the worlds oldest people - Daily Nation - February 12th, 2020
- Executives reveal which fad diets actually work - The Australian Financial Review - February 12th, 2020
- A Cigarette in One Hand and a Fitbit on the Other - Medscape - February 12th, 2020
- These 4 Industries Trending for Growth This Year - Small Business Trends - February 9th, 2020
- Beyond Drug Therapy: Comprehensive lung cancer treatment approach at Ohio State integrates diet, exercise, physical therapy and relaxation techniques... - February 9th, 2020
- The power of aerobic exercise - The New Times - February 9th, 2020
- Lose visceral fat: How to get rid of the dangerous belly fat - four steps to follow - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Expert reveals fat-busting diet plan - what can you eat? - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Happy Meals: Making Positive Change To Diet Also Helps Ward Off Depression - Study Finds - February 9th, 2020
- What is the effect of optimism on diet quality? - Medical News Bulletin - February 9th, 2020
- Lifestyle secrets of some of the world's oldest people - nation.co.ke - February 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What parents should know and do - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - February 9th, 2020
- Psychiatric practice opened in The Mill - observer-me.com - February 9th, 2020
- Add Fat to Diet the Healthy Way by Avoiding These Common Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 9th, 2020
- Save Money: Lose Weight: Are the Eat Yourself Healthy and Pegan diet easy to follow? - Express - February 9th, 2020
- The art of ageing gracefully - Daily Pioneer - February 9th, 2020
- Compare popular diets in one place with the help of a nutritionist - ABC News - February 9th, 2020
- Taylor Swift And The Gray Area Of Disordered Eating - BuzzFeed News - February 9th, 2020
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 20 kg with the help of this diet & CrossFit routine - GQ India - February 9th, 2020
- Charlize Theron Credits Pilates And A Plant-Based Diet For Her Oscar-Worthy Physique - Women's Health - February 9th, 2020
- Changing Careers Later in Life By Furthering Your Education and Wellness - FE News - February 9th, 2020
- Vitagene DNA will give you a diet plan genetically tailored to you - Deseret News - January 29th, 2020
- Charlize Theron Losing Weight From Diet & Exercise Routine - Radar Online - January 29th, 2020
- How to lower blood pressure with a heart-healthy diet and exercise - INSIDER - January 29th, 2020
- The benefits of including dairy in your diet - Thecountypress - January 29th, 2020
- Lorraine Kelly weight loss: ITV star used one trick to drop two dress sizes - what was it? - Express - January 29th, 2020
- Charlize Theron Losing Weight From Diet & Exercise Routine - The Bulletin Time - January 29th, 2020
- Sleep and Muscle Growth: Why You Need Sleep to Get Fit - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 29th, 2020
- Universal Kidney Arteriosclerosis Screenings Critically Important for People with Lupus Nephritis - Lupus Foundation of America - January 29th, 2020
- How to improve your mental health with proper diet and yoga - News Landed - January 29th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Lilly's Blood Sugar Combo Pill Approved - PharmaLive - January 29th, 2020
- Socialise your way to good health - The New Indian Express - January 29th, 2020
- Four In Ten Have Suffered From Work Burnout - Spin1038 - January 29th, 2020
- 'Meal Prepping And Discovering CrossFit Helped Me Escape A Vicious Cycle Of Emotional Eating' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- This is how Yale researchers say to approach the Keto diet - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Dementia care: Drinking this fruit juice may reduce your risk of developing the condition - Express - January 29th, 2020
- Diet Demand Analyzes Weight Loss Surgery: List of Pros and Cons - Yahoo Finance - January 28th, 2020
- Improve Brain Health with Diet, Exercise and Less Stress - EVENT NEWS - January 28th, 2020
- Keep it simple: 4 small lifestyle changes that will improve your health - KSL.com - January 28th, 2020
- Which exercises help sculpt your abs, and how to do them at home - INSIDER - January 28th, 2020
- Drs. Oz & Roizen:Treating chronic dry mouth; the relationship between exercise and lower cancer risk - The Union Leader - January 28th, 2020
- Jobs leaving half of workers too tired to exercise - Irish Examiner - January 28th, 2020
- 'The Biggest Loser' is back on TV. Get ready for ramped-up fat-shaming and dangerous diets. - NBCNews.com - January 28th, 2020
- From headaches to heart disease: How your diet can improve your health - Global News - January 28th, 2020
- Study Sees Rise in Lonely Americans, and the Workplace Might Play a Part - Occupational Health and Safety - January 28th, 2020