THOMAS SAMSONGetty Images
Much has been spoken of Henry Cavills punishing diet and exercise regimes, unsurprisingly for someone synonymous with Superman, with real-life comic-book good looks. Since taking on the role of genetically enhanced monster slayer Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher workout (involving daily fasting, cardio and weights session) has become a big search term, while his intense dehydration diet employed for shirtless scenes went viral. But behind the cape or leather armour donned for his characters, the British actor has some relatable rituals that non-superstars (or superheroes) can easily employ.
Cavill confirms there's a lot of gym work in his weekly schedule. When hes shooting a movie or series, to make sure that I can survive it, he trains twice a day.
Yes, its definitely for aesthetic reasons, he admits, but its also for the ability to actually manage an arduous shoot for seven to eight months or whatever it may be. Working 14-hour days does take its toll.
Regardless, his ethos is about trying to stay as healthy as possible. That means clean eating, too.
The most important thing for diet is knowledge and preparation, he tells us. And its very difficult for us as people who are busy running around doing our jobs to gain all that knowledge. His solution? If you can find a person or company who can do the knowledge part for you, so you know what your goals are, they can at least give you the information so you can do food prep, for example. This is is enormously helpful, Cavill says, allowing you to be in control of your nutrition.
I have found food prep to be a massive saving grace for me, time-wise and health-wise
I have found food prep to be a massive saving grace for me, time-wise and health-wise, because then I know what Im having and when. Therefore, he can eat as cleanly as possible when working, and then once a week Ill have a meal that I really want to have and thatll be off-diet.
Cavill will suffer for his art, but he knows its just that. On The Graham Norton Show he recently revealed how he would limit his water intake when filming for The Witcher. On the first day youll have a litre and a half, and the second day half a litre, and then the third day, no water, and youll shoot on the fourth [day], he explained.
Will this be a repeat performance? When it comes to shirtless stuff I would absolutely do it again, he says. But I do not recommend it: its not healthy. It doesnt feel good but it does look good! He tells us he only does the the light version of it, (apparently bodybuilders go hard). But for me, if it sells a character to an audience then yes absolutely Ill do it, but if its going to be a risk to my health, then no.
The actor knows that he has a professional trainer observing him, making sure that Im okay and that I have all the right things going into my system. For us mere mortals, its the opposite of what hed recommend.
Dehydration diets aside, Cavill is water obsessed. I was looking to start my own water [brand], he tells us, I was researching various springs around the UK; I wanted it to be environmentally responsible and ethical. He then met David and Bonita Spencer-Percival, founders of No1 Botanicals, who extract the compounds out of herbs and make pure botanical drinks with them.
Cavills now partnered with the couple, enabling him to drink a lot of the No1 Rosemary Water. It completely replaces my regular water intake, he reveals. I love the stuff. The only time I dont [drink it] is when Im in the gym because then I have electrolytes.
This completely replaces my regular water intake
To grasp the botanical science behind it, Cavill made a short documentary in Acciaroli, Italy, to see why the villagers are living long, happy, healthy lives. Indeed, they consume heaps of rosemary, but he assures us theres heavyweight science beneath the romantic concept.
Indeed, Cavill feels it himself. I realised quite quickly that my body was craving it. It really wanted it, and I started to feel better when I was drinking it. I noticed a massive difference when I was working on The Witcher - in prep when I had a window to do all my work for the day I was drinking this stuff and instantly felt sharper. The brain just started firing and it really, really helped.
The tangible health benefits of ancient herbal wisdom is becoming apparent to Cavill.
While he wasnt conscious to include herbs in his diet before, now that Im learning about super herbs, and they are important to include he feels. Especially if you want to live your life to the fullest; if you want to take full advantage of everything the body and mind is keyed to do. So, we can all play Superman?
Its as simple that, he adds. If you start putting this stuff in your body, it works better and more efficiently.
Like this article? Sign up to our new newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
- The OMAD diet for weight loss: Everything you need to know - 7NEWS.com.au - September 28th, 2020
- 8 Foods and Beverages to Avoid with Arthritis - Healthline - September 28th, 2020
- PCOS And Infertility: Here's What You Need To Know - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- Victoria Beckham: Everything I do in a day from my skincare regime to my diet and exercise - Telegraph.co.uk - September 28th, 2020
- Four Women Reveal Their Horror Stories of Teddi Mellencamp's 'All In by Teddi' Diet - The Daily Beast - September 28th, 2020
- Dieting: Weighing the good and bad - The New Times - September 28th, 2020
- The Future of Cancer Treatment - NewsPatrolling - September 28th, 2020
- The breakfast snack to help you live longer and avoid heart disease symptoms - Express - September 28th, 2020
- SRMC doctor offers suggestions for Women's Health Day - The-review - September 25th, 2020
- Keeping COVID at bay - Mountain Xpress - September 25th, 2020
- Can You Boost Your Metabolism? Here's What the Science Says - Discover Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Cracking the code to live your best life: Canadian DNA testing companies, dnaPower and Inagene, partner to unlock true personalized health through... - September 25th, 2020
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja calls PCOS the bane of my life, shares 3 tips with fans on how to combat it in... - Hindustan Times - September 25th, 2020
- Try this diet combination with side planks, it will reduce belly fat fast - Pledge Times - Pledge Times - September 25th, 2020
- 17 Best Protein Powders of 2020: Whey, Casein, and Plant-Based - Greatist - September 25th, 2020
- Morning vs. Evening: Whats a better time to exercise to lose weight? - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- A man in the US dies of consuming excessive mulethi (licorine). Know how much is too much - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- Dr. Anthony Fauci addresses why COVID-19 has severely hurt the... - Hays Free Press - September 25th, 2020
- What is the Dukan diet: the extreme diet Kate Middleton followed to lose weight before her wedding - RSVP Live - September 25th, 2020
- Dietitian reveals how to naturally detox your body - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- Menopause Diet Tips: Know What To Eat And Avoid To Reduce Symptoms - NDTV Doctor - September 25th, 2020
- The vegetable you should AVOID or risk deadly high blood pressure - are you at risk? - Express - September 25th, 2020
- Immunity Tips: 5 Simple Tips To Strengthen Your Immune Function - NDTV - September 25th, 2020
- Three of the best exercises to lower your risk of a deadly heart attack - Express - September 25th, 2020
- The strange case of the man who died after eating too much licorice - East Idaho News - September 25th, 2020
- Omarion Reveals What He Eats in a Day to Stay Shredded - menshealth.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How to live longer: The lifestyle habits that may add at least six years to your life - Express - September 23rd, 2020
- Heres how healthy behaviour, diet and exercise in one partner affects healthy habits of other partner... - Hindustan Times - September 23rd, 2020
- Struggling To Lose Weight? This MD Says Knowing Your "Weight Loss Type" Will Help - mindbodygreen.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Luxor Sayville on the CICO Diet and if It Can Work for You - Long Island, NY Patch - Patch.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Belly fat linked to early death, study finds - ABC17News.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How to get rid of visceral fat: Including a certain exercise in your day may burn the fat - Express - September 23rd, 2020
- Dear Dietitian: Examining the connection between syndrome and diabetes - Nueces County Record Star - September 23rd, 2020
- Local Doctors Using Breakthrough Treatments, Pain Management Education to Help Chronic Pain Sufferers Through the Pandemic - Woodlands Online - September 23rd, 2020
- Dr. DeAun Nelson Wants to Change How We Think About Weight and Health Care - Willamette Week - September 23rd, 2020
- How to Create and Maintain Good Habits Even When You Lose Motivation - WTNZ - September 23rd, 2020
- Excellent sources of protein for those on a vegan diet - The Indian Express - September 23rd, 2020
- This Is the Weight-Loss Program That Actually Worked for LIVESTRONG.com Readers Across the Country - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 23rd, 2020
- Reduce the Risk of Developing Dementia - City News Group, Inc - September 23rd, 2020
- Hot baths and saunas: Beneficial for your heart? - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Did you know? 5 surprising things that can trigger a heart attack; steps to keep you fit and healthy - Times Now - September 23rd, 2020
- VIDEO: Three simple steps to better digestive health that you can take today - Press and Journal - September 23rd, 2020
- Why you should not take whey protein at night? - TheHealthSite - September 23rd, 2020
- Study: Twist On Traditional Mediterranean Diet May Be Ideal For Cardiovascular Health - CBS Miami - September 20th, 2020
- Exercise and diet are more important than ever with the coronavirus at large - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - September 20th, 2020
- 7 Heart Healthy Tips for Your 30s to Prevent High Blood Pressure - Healthline - September 20th, 2020
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Teddi Gets Emotional Talking Diet Plan Backlash - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Dr. Fauci: 3 everyday things you can do to help boost your immune system - CNBC - September 20th, 2020
- Colon and Rectal Cancer Can Be a Reality For Gen-X, Millennials, and Gen-Z - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2020
- Briana and Ryan Culberson Have Lost 150 Pounds on the Keto Diet - Bravo - September 20th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Be aware of the salty six if you want to lower your reading - Express - September 20th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of having pulses in your daily diet - NEWS HEADS - September 20th, 2020
- Metabolic syndrome, which increases the risk of heart disease, affects one in two seniors here - The Straits Times - September 20th, 2020
- Fitness secrets from Ayurveda - Times of India - September 8th, 2020
- How Halle Berry Is More Fit and Stunning Than Ever: Her Diet, Fitness, Beauty Tips and Tricks! - KVUE.com - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer - the very best exercise to add years onto your lifespan - Express - September 8th, 2020
- A doctor's open apology to those fighting overweight and obesity - The Wilton Bulletin - September 8th, 2020
- Plant-based diets shine when looking at the gut microbiome - Contemporary Pediatrics - September 8th, 2020
- The Long Con: Martin Wachter on how he got in shape through diet and exercise - CalvinAyre.com - September 8th, 2020
- Why the first three weeks of a diet are crucial, according to new study - 9Coach - September 8th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for September 09 - Mumbai Mirror - September 8th, 2020
- The secret to Randy Arozarenas rise with Rays? Chicken and rice - Tampa Bay Times - September 8th, 2020
- The Worst Ab Workout Mistakes and How to Fix Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Heart attack prevention: The best lifestyle to reduce your risk of a heart attack - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Surviving COVID-19 Together - Pain News Network - September 8th, 2020
- Best supplements for high blood pressure - the 99p capsules to avoid deadly hypertension - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman's death is tragic. Here's what you need to know about colon cancer. - Big Think - September 8th, 2020
- Here are five foods that can help regulate blood sugar or prevent type 2 diabetes - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Lose weight with the worlds top 10 diets from keto to Slimming World - The Sun - September 8th, 2020
- Lifestyle choices can reduce the risk of chronic kidney disease - Tennis World USA - September 8th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week 2020: 8 simple tips to stay healthy and fit - The Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- How to take the best poop, according to science - Business Insider - Business Insider - September 8th, 2020
- Watch What Happened When This Guy Followed LeBrons Diet and Workout for a Day - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 6th, 2020
- What is Ayurveda? - Science Times - September 6th, 2020
- Tony Gonzalez Thinks Sleep Is the Fountain of Youth - GQ - September 6th, 2020
- Miley Cyrus Reveals She Quit Her Vegan Diet For Health Reasons, Was 'Running On Empty' - Women's Health - September 6th, 2020
- 'I kept asking, they said I was too young' | The risks of colon cancer - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - September 6th, 2020
- Cant Stick To A Healthy Diet For Long? Try These Easy Ways For Better Results This Time - MensXP.com - September 6th, 2020
- Online event on importance of balanced diet - The Tribune India - September 6th, 2020
- Meet slimmer Vicki who lost more than 3st after changing her diet and taking up Thai boxing - Stoke-on-Trent Live - September 6th, 2020