Although we're basically more advanced as a society now than ever before, some people believe that reverting back to certain ways of our ancient ancestors can result in healthier lives. Enter: The Paleo diet.
The Paleo diet is a modern diet that's supposed to be based on the way our ancient human ancestors ate during the Paleolithic Era, also known as the Old Stone Age, which began over 2 million years ago. These early humans were hunter-gatherers, eating what they could find and hunt in their surroundings.
So, the Paleo diet in a way is eating like certain cavemen and women may have eaten. But whether, or not, that will actually help you lead a healthier life is up for debate. Here's what you need to know about the Paleo diet.
Gastroenterologist Walter Voegtlin introduced the Paleo diet in the 1970s as a way for humans to eat better. He believed that modern humans could learn how to eat healthier by following suit of our Paleolithic ancestors hence the name Paleo diet.
But it wasn't until the early 2000s when the diet really took off in popularity, largely thanks to Loren Cordain and his book The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat. In his book, Cordain lays out the guidelines of the paleo diet, as we know it today.
Mainly, the focus is on nutrient-rich plants and protein-rich lean meats and, of course, no processed foods, something that certainly wasn't around back then.
According to Mayo Clinic, the main staples of the diet are:
As for what to avoid, processed foods like potato chips and candy bars are an obvious no-no. But anything related to agriculture is also off-limits since the Paleolithic Era was before the time humans invented farming, 10,000 to 12,000 years ago. That means grains and dairy are out.
The diet also limits starchy foods like tubers such as potatoes and jicama and legumes like lentils, beans, and peanuts.
Unlike some diets, the paleo diet doesn't require you to follow a specific daily caloric intake. But it's likely that you'll consume fewer calories if you're sticking to it, since you're cutting out so many high-calorie foods, whether it's processed junk food, pizza and other fast foods, or high-sugar foods and drinks.
When you're cutting out entire food groups from your diet like grains and dairy you have to consider the fact that you'll be missing out on the nutrients and health benefits of those food groups.
"There are certain things like brown rice or whole grains that are great for your diet they help lower cholesterol and give you increased fiber so you may want to just take a closer look and see whether or not it's really worth giving that up," says Leah Kaufman, MS, CDE, and RD at NYU Langone Health's Weight Management Program.
Kaufman also urges people to be careful not to become calcium deficient when giving up dairy. Eating chia seeds, almonds, and sardines are all good sources of calcium within the paleo diet. But Kaufman says if you are deficient, the best way to get sufficient calcium can be through a supplement.
To be safe, you may want to meet with a registered dietitian who can help you plan your paleo diet to make sure that you're meeting your nutrition needs.
If you're interested in going paleo but are worried about the risks and restrictions that may come along with cutting out certain food groups, you can try out a modified paleo diet, where the diet serves as a guideline for eating but isn't followed so strictly. For example, you can include some whole grains or legumes if you want more flexibility and added nutrition.
The Paleo diet may be effective for people who want to lose weight, as you will replace any processed foods which are linked with weight gain with whole and minimally processed foods like fiber- and water-rich vegetables.
However, there are no studies investigating whether, or not, the Paleo diet can help you lose weight and keep it off long-term. Nor are there long-term studies to suggest whether this diet can lower the risk of common health problems like heart disease.
The studies that do exist, suggest that the diet shows promise over short periods of time.
For example, a 2015 study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that the paleo diet resulted in short term improvement in metabolic syndrome conditions that increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes when compared with a control group.
Other small-scale, older studies such as one published in 2008 in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that the paleo diet can reduce BMI, weight, and waist circumference over a period of three weeks.
Most of these studies have been done with small sample groups, so research is still needed on larger groups for longer periods of time as well as with comparison diets to better understand the effects of the Paleo diet.
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2018 to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Oatmeal Nutrition and Health Benefits - Is Oatmeal Healthy? - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 24th, 2020
- COLUMN: Has your new years weight loss plan crashed? This could get you back on track. - ThoroldNews.com - February 24th, 2020
- A local dietician explains why you should drop the guilt when it comes to eating - SooToday - February 24th, 2020
- Two-thirds of adults in north-east overweight or obese - Aberdeen Evening Express - February 24th, 2020
- Pros and cons of the 'No Waste' diet trend - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - February 18th, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: How It Works, Conditions, and More - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Weight Management Market 2020 by following top Manufacturers Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - February 18th, 2020
- Keto Diet and IBS: Can This Diet Help Treat Symptoms? - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Hughes to appeal three-day ban after disqualified winner at Carlisle - Racing TV - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is anticipated to grow at higher rate in near future - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss: This Lip-Smacking Prawn Recipe Will Surely Add Taste To Your Lunch Diet - NDTV Food - February 18th, 2020
- How to count calories for weight loss and health - CNET - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- The One Slow Cooker Recipe You Should Try This Week To Speed Up Weight Loss - SheFinds - February 17th, 2020
- Digital diabetes prevention program use tied to weight reduction among low-income patients with prediabetes - MobiHealthNews - February 17th, 2020
- What is refeeding and how is it better than cheat days? - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Friendships, pets, money, weight loss ... what makes you feel happier? - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Valuable Growth And Future Scenario Forecast 2020 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 17th, 2020
- Eating your way to an early grave - Jamaica Observer - February 17th, 2020
- The Continuing Growth Story of Weight Loss Management Market? - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Drinking Lemon Water For Weight Loss And Other Myths Debunked - Medical Daily - February 12th, 2020
- Analysis: Why Digital Health Investors are Falling in Love with Femtech - HIT Consultant - February 12th, 2020
- Debating Diets: What is the DASH diet? - Baylor College of Medicine News - February 12th, 2020
- Boost Metabolism with These Safe Tips - Chicago Health - February 12th, 2020
- Mon Health diabetes prevention class aims to teach strategies on avoiding type 2 diabetes - WBOY.com - February 12th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Europe Weight Management Market Predicted Over The Forecast Periods 2007 2015 - TechNews.mobi - February 12th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs: These 3 Stocks Are Poised to Soar by at Least 15% - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- How nutrition education can make a difference to people with HIV in Nigeria - The Conversation Africa - February 12th, 2020
- Waist circumference is vital sign of health, experts say - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian vs. Nutritionist: What's the Difference? - Healthline - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends, Revenue, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2029 - Sound... - February 12th, 2020
- What's the Mediterranean diet and how can it help me lose weight and feel better - ABC Life - February 12th, 2020
- Nutritionists Weigh in on How Drinking Green Tea Could Help with Weight Loss - FOX10 News - February 12th, 2020
- The good news is it's entirely possible to stop hating your body - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Use of the Word Diet to Describe Soft Drinks Would Not Mislead Reasonable Consumer - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- How To Apply The 80-20 Rule To Weight Loss, According To Doctors - Women's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Sugar addict mum reveals incredible 6.5st weight loss WITHOUT giving up her fave treats - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- 13 Types of Beans - Different Kind of Beans List - Country Living - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Research, Opportunities, Emerging Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts 2020-2026 - Instant... - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Alton Telegraph - February 8th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2024 - Galus Australis - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - TechNews.mobi - February 8th, 2020
- This Guy Dropped 80 Pounds by Sleeping More and Stressing Less - menshealth.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rapid response improves the recovery of scouring calves - Agriland - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Thehour.com - February 6th, 2020
- French Biotech TargEDys Announces Positive Results of Its Clinical Trial With Its Probiotic Strain Hafnia alvei HA4597 on the Weight Loss Thanks to... - February 6th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Weight Management Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth by 2025 - Technology Magazine - February 6th, 2020
- 16 Tips For Losing Weight After 40, According To Experts - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Size and Share over the forecast period 2019-2024 - Jewish Life News - February 6th, 2020
- Tracking Weight Loss on the OMAD Diet with a Withings Smart Scale - A Sweet Life - February 6th, 2020
- Shapa Health Partnering With a Large Healthcare Insurance Provider to Launch Cost-Effective Solution for Virtual Outpatient Weight Monitoring and... - February 6th, 2020
- 'When I Got Into Intermittent Fasting And Jump Rope Workouts, I Lost 83 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Wrestlers cut and maintain weight in a healthy fashion - The Reflector Online - February 6th, 2020
- Type 2 Diabetes Apps Help With Modest Weight Loss, Review Finds - Everyday Health - February 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Liver Disease 'an Epidemic of the 21st Century' - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- I gave up Diet Coke for a month to see how it affected my body - Insider - INSIDER - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market 2020: Which region will witness robust growth? - Weekly Wall - February 6th, 2020
- Celeb Nutritionist Shares Easy Breakfast Recipes That May Help Shed Kilos - NDTV Food - February 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - February 6th, 2020
- Worried About High BP? Mind Your Stress And Weight - Forbes India - February 6th, 2020
- Looking for a new diet in 2020? Check out these trendy and traditional choices - The Oakland Press - January 31st, 2020
- Science backing weight management ingredients promising but not overwhelming, panel participants agree - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 31st, 2020
- In the news: Shilpa Malhotra - BayStateBanner - January 31st, 2020
- Diet Demand Addresses Emotional Eating as Underlying Cause of Weight Gain - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2025 - Science of Change - January 31st, 2020
- Astonishing Growth of Weight Management Supplements Market 2020 | Latest Trends, Demand, Growth, Opportunities & Outlook Till 2027| Nutrisystem,... - January 31st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Technology... - January 31st, 2020
- How much weight can you expect to lose in a week according to experts - The Sun - January 31st, 2020
- Eat your dinner on time for health benefits and weight-loss - The Statesman - January 31st, 2020
- These Are the Best Walking Workouts, According to Fitness Experts - msnNOW - January 31st, 2020
- OptiBiotix Health and partner Agropur announce launch of SlimBiome in North American market - Proactive Investors UK - January 31st, 2020
- Maintaining weight loss is possible with the right strategies, experts say - ConsumerAffairs - January 29th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market : Opportunities and Forecast Assessment, 2018 to 2027 - Melanian News - January 29th, 2020
- Research Says These 3 Things Are Needed To Maintain Weight Loss - mindbodygreen.com - January 29th, 2020
- Do low-calorie sweeteners make you fat? Controversy and confusion over the role of high-intensity - FoodNavigator.com - January 29th, 2020
- Slimming Weight Management Market By Product, By Application, By Segment, By Region Global Forecast To 2024 - Expedition 99 - January 29th, 2020
- Want to lose weight and keep it off? Three things to add to your daily routine now - The Sun - January 29th, 2020