Basic Homemade Bread Recipe
Click to expand
You wouldn't know it from all the recent sourdough bread-baking, but bread is considered the enemy in certain low-carb quarters. Its "unhealthy" reputation stems from the low-carb diet myth that all carbohydrates are inherently bad. Although it's true that heavily processed, refined carbohydrates and sugary foods lack nutrients, not all types of carbs or bread fall into this category, says Malina Malkani, RDN, a registered dietitian nutritionist in Westchester, New York. It's possible for bread to be part of a healthy diet.
In fact, depending on the loaf, bread can be packed with nutrients. Whole grain bread, for instance, is a good source of B vitamins, including folic acid, iron, magnesium, selenium, and dietary fiber, according to the American Heart Association.
Another common belief about bread is that it causes weight gain. Research in the Journal of Nutrition, however, found that weight gainand increases in abdominal fat over timeis lower in people who consume more whole grain foods such as whole grain bread.
One thing that Lisa DeFazio, RDN, a registered dietitian nutritionist in Los Angeles, looks for is whole wheat or whole oats as the first ingredient on the list. "Be careful," she says. "Wheat bread or multi-grain is not always a whole grain product." That's why it's important to look at the ingredients list instead of whatever the brand packaging says. (Here's the real difference between whole grain and whole wheat.)
Look for a short list of recognizable or pronounceable ingredients, Malkani recommends. Again, check that whole grains or sprouted flours are the first ingredients because the list is in descending order of predominance by weight.
Next, check out the nutrition label. The healthiest breads are higher in protein (about 3 to 6 grams per slice) and fiber (roughly 3 to 5 grams per slice) and lower in added sugar (less than 4 grams per slice), Malkani says.
When buying healthy bread, keep in mind:The color of the bread is almost meaningless.Sure, whole grain bread is darker than white bread. But manufacturers may add food coloring to give their processed bread a darker appearance and trick nutrition-savvy shoppers who want healthy wheat bread, according to DeFazio. Again, make sure to check the ingredients label.
DeFazio and Malkani have a few favorite healthy bread brands. Those include: Food for Life Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain Breads, Daves Killer Breads, Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Sourdough, Alvarado Street Bakery, Angelic Bakehouse, Vermont Bread Company, and Franz Bakery.
Whole wheat is the first type of healthy bread that typically comes to mind. The flour used to make 100 percent whole wheat bread is less processed and retains both the bran and germ of the wheat grain, according to Malkani. Whole grains, including whole wheat, have been linked to a range of health benefits, including decreased risk fortype 2 diabetes, heart disease, and weight gain, according to the review of studies in the Journal of Nutrition.
Sprouted bread is made from whole grains that have sprouted from exposure to heat and moisture, says DeFazio. This process increases the grains' antioxidants. Malkani adds that the sprouted grains in sprouted grain bread have a higher enzyme content, too. (Read about foods high in antioxidants.)
According to Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, these grainscontain more protein and more bioavailable, high-quality nutrients than other grains, andmay be easier to digest. Most sprouted breads are high in fiber and protein, per research in the journal Nutrients. So swapping out your white bread for sprouted whole grain is a simple way to get more fiber in your diet.
The benefits of sprouted whole grain bread may also extend to weight loss due to its lower carb count. According to a study in the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, sprouted grain bread has fewer carbs, with 34 grams in a four-ounce serving, compared to 44 grams in 12-grain bread.
The sprouting process allows the grains to absorb more water, lowering the carb content. "Sprouting breaks down the starch in grains and reduces the carb content," DeFazio says. As a result, "sprouted grains do not spike blood sugar like white bread."
This bread is easier to digest than others, thanks to theprebiotics and probiotics created during the fermentation process, according to DeFazio.The fermentation process that's used to make whole wheat sourdough bread helps reduce the number of phytates that bind to certain minerals and impair their absorption in the body, according to a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. As a result, Malkani says that whole wheat sourdough bread is digested more slowly in the body,helping stabilize post-meal blood sugar levels.
Flax bread uses whole grain flours and flaxseeds, according to DeFazio. "Flax bread contains omega-3 fatty acids that are good for heart health," she says. Bread made with flaxseeds is an especially great bread option for vegans who need more healthy fatty acids in their diet. (Read more about the health benefits of flaxseeds.)
These superseeds are also a good source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants. One study in the Journal of Food Science and Technology found that eating flaxseed bread and other flax foods may benefit digestion-related health issues.
Rye looks like wheat bread, but is darker and denser. Research in Nutrition Journal found that rye may be healthier in terms of making you feel fuller while not affecting blood sugar.Much like sprouted whole grain bread, sprouted rye is a good source of fiber, especially in comparison to regular rye bread. "Sprouted rye bread is high in soluble fiber, which slows your digestion of carbs and decreases the insulin response," DeFazio says.
One of the newest types of healthy bread on the grocery store scene is oat bread, which includes both oats and whole wheat flour as the primary ingredients. If cauliflower can turn into a pizza, then your favorite breakfast food can absolutely turn into bread.
The best part is that there are already plenty of benefits of eating oatmeal.Oats are high in nutrients like magnesium, zinc, and iron. Plus, the high fiber content may help lower cholesterol levels and decrease high blood pressure, according to research in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Vascular Health and Risk Management.
Gluten-free bread doesn't have grains like wheat, rye, or barley, according to DeFazio. Instead, gluten-free bread is a mix of gluten-free flours such as brown rice, almond, coconut, tapioca, potato, or corn flours. Gluten-free bread is good for people who need to avoid gluten, like those with signs of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
When manufacturers remove gluten, they add other ingredients to compensate because they need the bread to be chewy and have texture, DeFazio explains. So gluten-free bread often has refined flours, added sugars, gums, and tapioca starch that can cause gas, bloating, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal issues.
DeFazio urges those without celiac and or gluten allergies to opt for regular bread. Some people without these health issues mistakenly think if they avoid gluten, they will lose weight, she says. Keep in mind that avoiding gluten will not automatically result in weight loss, nor is it necessarily healthier than other types of bread.
Bread is not the enemy."Find a bread you enjoy that is also healthy," suggests DeFazio. If you hate the taste and texture of one type of bread, move on and find another.
The healthiest bread option for you really depends on a few factors. Bread made with 100 percent whole grains is less processed and offers more health-promoting nutrients per calorie than bread made with refined flours. That alone makes it the best healthy bread option for most people, according to Malkani. Sprouted grain bread and whole grain sourdough are good choices for those with digestive concerns, she adds.
Look for bread that features whole grains and is high in fiber, but low in sugar. If you use the tips from Malkani and Defazio and choose a loaf from one of the healthiest bread brands, you'll make a foolproof, tasty choice every time.
The post What Is the Healthiest Bread? appeared first on The Healthy.
Read the original here:
What Is the Healthiest Bread? - msnNOW
- The biggest weight loss transformations of 2020 - Fox News - December 31st, 2020
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Insider - INSIDER - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- 12 Side Effects of Eating Oatmeal, Say Dietitians | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 31st, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market insights from profiling key companies based on financial position, product portfolio, and... - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Top Leading Companies, Consumption, Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends Forecast to 2027|- Ajinomoto Co,... - December 31st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Johnson Health Tech,... - December 31st, 2020
- Upgrade your weight loss plan by adding these winter foods to your diet - Times Now - December 22nd, 2020
- Balance by BistroMD review: Pros and cons - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Shows Boosted Growth Rate in Forecast to 2026 | Coherent Market Insights - The Monitor - December 22nd, 2020
- Keto Weight Loss: What to Expect After 1 Week - Healthline - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Global Status and Business Outlook 2020 to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 20th, 2020
- Talking to Kids about Weight: What the Internet Says and Why Researchers Are Wary - DrexelNow - Drexel Now - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Per - GroundAlerts.com - December 20th, 2020
- Intellihealth: Integrates Population Management with Primary Care to Enhance Weight Loss Outcomes - MedicalResearch.com - December 20th, 2020
- The Healthiest Diets of 2020, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 | (COVID 19 Analysis) Offered In New Most recent Research Report with... - December 20th, 2020
- MannKind and Vertice to Co-Promote Thyquidity (levothyroxine sodium) Oral Solution - GlobeNewswire - December 20th, 2020
- Associations of time-restricted eating with health-related quality of life and sleep in adults: a secondary analysis of two pre-post pilot studies -... - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Market Feed - November 27th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Weight Watchers,... - November 27th, 2020
- 3 Important Things to Lower Weight Loss Surgery Risks - TheHealthMania - November 27th, 2020
- 12 Ways To Prevent Holiday Weight Gain This December - Longevity LIVE - November 27th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Egg White Powder Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Grade, Distribution Channel, and... - November 27th, 2020
- SWIFt Study: Weight-loss strategy aims to prioritise the 'health' of our healthcare workers - Monash Lens - November 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- Stress Weight Loss: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention - Greatist - November 25th, 2020
- Age is not a barrier to losing weight, study finds - Atlanta Journal Constitution - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research... - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - November 25th, 2020
- Add more plant-based options to your diet with this healthy 7-day flexitarian meal plan - Insider - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of Covid-19 On Women Weight Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 25th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Health and Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Weight... - November 25th, 2020
- SavvyWP.com Highlights the Importance of Weight Management Over the Holiday Season - The News Front - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Khabar South Asia - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2018 to 2028 - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Collagen Market Worth $7.53 billion by 2027- Exclusive Report Covering Pre and Post COVID-19 Market Analysis by Meticulous Research - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Devices Market Report 2020 Significant Trends and Factors Driving the Market Development Forecast to 2027 - ICOTodayMagazine - November 24th, 2020
- Weight Management Market With Top Countries data : Evolving Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis 2026 | Herbalife International Inc., NutriSystem... - November 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: I gave up my biggest addiction Maggi and lost 20 kilos in 5 months with diet control and workout! - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- High-protein total replacement diet helps burn fat: Here's how you can switch to it for effective weight loss - Times Now - November 24th, 2020
- Advances in the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease - The BMJ - November 24th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR by 2026 : Weight Watchers, Abbott Nutrition, The Coca-Cola, Pepsico,... - November 24th, 2020
- Could people achieve remission of type 2 diabetes without needing to lose weight? - On Medicine - BMC Blogs Network - November 24th, 2020
- Online Weight Loss Programs Market will surge to the highest levels By 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 24th, 2020
- Kaleb Wesson: 'I can operate the pick-and-pop at the highest level' - Hoops Hype - November 24th, 2020
- Winning isn't always about taking first, sometimes it's about being there at all - Williston Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- 5 Tips to work your way out of a food rut - TheHealthSite - November 5th, 2020
- Menopause Weight Gain: Is It Inevitable? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 5th, 2020
- Innerme's Organic Plant-Based Sports Nutrition Supplements Debuted This Month at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports... - October 22nd, 2020
- Trends Of Weight Management Packaged Foods Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- INNOVIOM Debuted Tranquini and Wowie Relaxation Beverages at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports Nutrition Program for... - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market to 2026: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - News by Decresearch - October 22nd, 2020
- There's a New Reason You Can't Lose Weight, According to Science - Best Life - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market 2020-2026 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights. -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected To Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 22nd, 2020
- Bongmi Group launches InFasting App - A Powerful and Effective New Digital Intermittent Fasting Tool - PRNewswire - October 22nd, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Aerobic Vs. Anaerobic: Which Is Better For Weight Loss And Performance? - generationiron.com - October 21st, 2020
- This Weight Loss Method Could Add Years to Your Life, New Study Finds - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss & Weight Management Market 2020 Size, Share, Regional Growth, Trends, Methods, Applications, Equipment vendors, Business Prospects and... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Management Supplements Market by Industry Trends, Statistics, key Companies Growth and Regional Forecast by 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Growth And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Companies, Types,... - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market to Register Steady Growth During 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Forecasts To 2027: Global Industry Growth, Share, Size, Trends And Segmentation Report - Stock Market Vista - October 21st, 2020
- The best time to walk for weight loss - Times of India - October 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman loses 5st and credits belly fat loss to this simple diet - Express - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market at a Rapid Growth Pace Until 2027 With Top Companies to Watch Out in COVID 19: Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - October 16th, 2020
- Pain Management, Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Drinking Less Alcohol - News18 - October 16th, 2020
- Doing This Each Morning Is The Key To Weight Loss - KYR News - October 16th, 2020
- How Weight Management Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - October 16th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Yale Clinical and Translational Research Accelerator collaborate to explore potential benefits of digital health technologies... - October 16th, 2020
- Livongo to Release Results for the Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2020 - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Walking At This Time Can Help You Lose More Weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Products Market Overview and Scope 2020 to 2025 | FinancialContent Business Page - Financial Content - October 16th, 2020
- Global Mobile Weight Loss Market Report 2020: Digital Solutions Transform the Weight Loss Industry and Chronic Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 16th, 2020