The DASH diet, now regularly recommended by doctors, was founded in the 1990sbut this diet wasnt created with the goal of weight loss. DASH was actually based on research funded by the National Institute of Health with the goal of determining which lifestyle choices were most effective in reducing high blood pressure. Originally, it was high in carbohydrates, with an emphasis on eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and only lean meats. Since it was first developed, it has been adjusted to take into account newer research on eating the right carbs, meats and healthy fats.
Read on for everything you need to know about the DASH diet.
The DASH diet is an acronym that stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It was created with a specific group of individuals in mindthose who need to lower their blood pressurebut has also been shown to help with weight loss.
Individuals on the DASH diet will be instructed to eat plenty of vegetables and fruit. Theyre also encouraged to eat whole grains, lean meats, and some healthy fats. Since its conception, the DASH diet has been adjusted to allow individuals to pursue weight loss and reduce blood pressure at the same time.
Related: What Is Whole30 and Should You Try It?
The most obvious benefit of the DASH diet is its ability to reduce hypertension significantly. It has been found to reduce blood pressure by eight to 14 points. That isnt all this diet can do, it has also been found to improve the health of individuals with type 2 diabetes and chronic heart disease.
Additionally, since the meal plans have been adjusted, individuals on this diet may lose weight. The increased protein intake along with the replacement of processed carbohydrates with whole grains has been associated with weight loss while maintaining lean muscle mass, according to the DASH website.
Dont use scrubs or brushes to treat arm bumps. Those tiny pimple-like bumps are called keratosis, and its totally harmless and super common. Treat it with over-the-counter products that contain ceramides, urea, or ammonium lactate.
The DASH diet is a well-balanced diet that focuses on helping individuals eat the right amount of each food group. At its core, it isnt focused on weight loss and so it may be possible to follow it without the negative consequences associated with low-calorie, restrictive, weight loss diets.
The only known risk of the DASH diet is too little sodium. The human body does need sodium for healthy functioning, and it isnt recommended that individuals adopt the extreme restriction of this mineral. Instead, theyre encouraged to reduce their sodium intake to a moderate amount, between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams a day.
There are different types of DASH diets that were created to address certain goals and lifestyle choices. For example, their website provides meal plans for vegetarians who wish to glean the benefits of the diet without eating meat. There are also specific plans for individuals who want to lose weight and there is a cookbook that combines the principles of the Mediterranean diet with the principles of the DASH diet since the two share many similarities.
Related: 26 Things You Should Know Before Starting an Anti-Inflammatory Diet
On the DASH diet, you are instructed to eat the most servings of fruits and vegetables. The recommended amounts are five servings of vegetables and five servings of fruit each day. Beyond that, carbohydrates are fully embraced on this plan and seven servings of whole grains are recommended each day. Meat is eaten in moderation, with lean options suggested two times a day and low-fat dairy is the same. Nuts and seeds are recommended, but only two to three times a week.
While the serving suggestions are pretty specific, there is actually a lot of flexibility once youve grown accustomed to monitoring your servings of each food group. With a good cookbook, youll quickly learn that meat and dairy play second fiddle to the many delicious produce and whole-grain options you can cook with each day.
All protein should be lean, so stick to white-meat chicken, turkey, and fish while youre shopping. Other appropriate sources of protein could include low-fat yogurts and legumes.
The great news about cooking on the DASH diet is that many recipes can be adjusted to fit within the guidelines. For instance, a salad recipe featuring a creamy dressing could be changed to a low-fat dressing instead. Some of our favorite recipes are featured on Parade.com, and include a Mediterranean Chicken Salad with a lemon and olive oil dressing and Vegetarian Chili. We also have a creative and nutritious Raspberry-Ginger Stir Fry made with chicken breasts and fresh vegetables.
If youre accustomed to reaching for potato chips or a candy bar when youre craving a snack, it might feel difficult at first to adjust your munching to the DASH guidelines. With enough creativity, youll soon discover there are plenty of delicious options for addressing hunger between meals.
Fresh vegetables and a tasty dip are a great way to squeeze in extra vegetable servings each day and one of our favorite dips is a red pepper dip made with light sour cream. Low-fat yogurt topped with fruit and granola is a good option any day and can be adjusted to fit your tastes or to add variety each day.
Instead of focusing on what is off-limits, breakfast is a great time to think of ways to eat more of the good stuff. For example, vegetables can be difficult to squeeze in at breakfast time but these eggs in pepper cups make sneaking in a serving a delight. For an easy on-the-go recipe, that will keep you clear of the drive-thru line, keep some basic breakfast muffins on hand.
Theres no reason to worry if you have a sweet tooth, desserts are totally allowed on the DASH diet. When selecting desserts, be careful about what fats are in the ingredient list, so many are made with full-fat milk and butter. For a quick and easy dessert, we love this creamy grape and marshmallow dessert made with just a few, simple ingredients. For dieters looking for a high protein dessert, this Cranberry Banana Parfait is made with low-fat Greek yogurt.
Learn more about how you can lower your blood pressure
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020
- Mum's amazing transformation after shedding half her body weight in just a year - Stoke-on-Trent Live - February 9th, 2020
- 'Losing 7.5 stone has made me a new man' - Councillor from Fulwood tells of a pivotal year shedding weight - Lancashire Post - February 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting A Trendy New Way To Diet, But Researchers Say More Studies Need To Be Done - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- The Truth About Losing Weight With Weed - VICE - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy, effective way - Insider - INSIDER - February 8th, 2020
- Health experts weigh in on cutting weight for sports - WTOL - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This teacher lost more than 20 kilos in just 6 months! Heres how she did it - Times of India - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight on a budget 5 simple tips to help shed the pounds without spending them - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- You CAN eat pizza and lose weight, expert says the 8 best options from Wetherspoons to Dominos if youre on - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Scientific weight loss study by CSIRO reveals key to losing weight and keeping it off - Have a Go News - February 8th, 2020
- How Running Helped This Guy Get Sober and Drop 50 Pounds - Men's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Is cardio the best way to lose weight? Personal trainers bust the myth - Irish Examiner - February 8th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Travis works hard to lose weight to fulfill his goal of giving his wife a real wedding - MEAWW - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss: Increasing this one thing is the key to burning belly fat, says expert - Express - February 8th, 2020
- Desperate bridesmaid asks how to lose 1.5st just weeks before the wedding because its too late to get a d - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Obese man mocked and 'judged' in McDonald's loses half his body weight - Liverpool Echo - February 8th, 2020
- Hamilton gran who struggled to put on her own socks loses over five stone - Daily Record - February 8th, 2020
- VA Department and Virta Health Focus On Reversing Diabetes with Keto Diet - Myhealthyclick - February 8th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the keto diet - ABC Local - February 8th, 2020
- Make the Lose Weight and Get Fit Chicken pancakes: Tom Kerridge reinvents a favourite! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, according to experts - Health24 - February 8th, 2020
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020