Written by Surbhi Gupta, Edited by Explained Desk | New Delhi | Updated: October 8, 2020 7:41:44 amIn the past five years, the keto diet found popularity after a lot of celebrities endorsed it.
Actor Mishti Mukherjee, 27, who had worked in Bangla, Telugu and some Hindi films, died on October 2 in a hospital in Bengaluru. Her family said Mukherjee suffered from kidney failure as she had been following a ketogenic diet.
What is a ketogenic, or keto diet, and when can it turn unhealthy?
The ketogenic diet is one of the most popular weight loss diets the world over. It is a high-fat, moderate-protein and low-carb diet that helps in weight loss by achieving ketosis a metabolic state where the liver burns body fat and provides fuel for the body, as there is limited access to glucose.
What constitutes a keto diet?
A classic keto requires that 90 per cent of a persons calories come from fat, six per cent from protein and four per cent from carbs. But there are many versions doing the round, since this one was designed for children suffering from epilepsy to gain control over their seizures. Typically, popular ketogenic diets suggest an average of 70-80 per cent fat, 5-10 per cent carbohydrate, and 10-20 per cent protein, explains nutritionist Ruchi Sharma, founder of EAT.FIT.REPEAT.
Many versions of ketogenic diets exist, but all ban carb-rich foods. In the beginning, it may seem easier to follow a keto diet as theres no need to count calories and the rules are very simple, but eventually adherence becomes very difficult, she says.
What are the food items that make the diet?
One can have eggs, chicken and turkey in poultry, fatty fish like salmon and mackerel, full-fat dairy, nuts and seeds like Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts and flaxseeds.
There is also nut butter like natural peanut, almond and cashew butters. It also consists of healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut butter and sesame oil. There are Avocados, and non-starchy vegetables like the greens, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers.
How does keto impact the body?
If you starve the body of carbohydrate, after burning out the glucose, the liver starts breaking down fats for energy. Ketosis is common in all kinds of fasting, but in a keto diet, when one is feeding it by giving a lot of fats from outside without carbs, it can become mildly toxic, says endocrinologist Dr Ambrish Mithal, Chairman and Head of Endocrinology and Diabetes at Max Healthcare Pan Max, Saket, New Delhi.
It may lead to many nutrient deficiencies such as carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins (especially vitamin A, D, E, & K) and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, sodium. These are essential food groups, and their absence in the diet can be the cause of numerous deficiency diseases, says Sharma.
Extreme carbohydrate restriction can lead to hunger, fatigue, low mood, irritability, constipation, headaches, and brain fog, which may last days to weeks
Even the moderate increase in protein needs to be carefully monitored, especially in those who are already suffering from a chronic kidney disease, as it could lead to kidney failure, Sharma says, adding that one should get a thorough assessment and make sure they have normal kidney function before choosing this diet.
This diet could lead to increased stress on the kidneys and result in kidney stones, as they are made to work overtime, says Dr Rushi Deshpande, Director Nephrology, Academic at Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre, Mumbai. If a person has died while on a keto diet, its likely that there was some underlying kidney disease, adds Dr Mithal.
Also in Explained | Mondays Covid cases were lowest in six weeks. But there is more to it
How did the Keto diet become popular?
Keto had become popular as a therapy for pediatric epilepsy in the 1920s and 30s. But it gained considerable attention as a potential weight loss strategy when the low-carb diet craze started in the 1970s with the Atkins diet (a very low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet, which was a commercial success and popularised low-carb diets to a new level), says Sharma.
In the past five years, the keto diet found more popularity after a lot of celebrities, including Halle Berry, Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow, started endorsing it. In India, it made news after comedian Tanmay Bhat was learnt to have undertaken the diet to lose weight.
Why is it so popular?
Because it has turned out to be one of the quickest ways of losing weight. In the first few days after starting the diet, one experiences a significant loss of water weight, and to the average person, the diet appears to be working, says Sharma.
Everyone these days is looking for quick fixes. Many have failed on conventional diets, and want something extreme. Like with most fad diets, you can quickly lose weight on keto, but it is hard to maintain as the compliance is very low, says Sharma.
A ketogenic diet may be an option for people who have had difficulty losing weight with other methods. But in my opinion, if you are looking to lose weight with keto, drop the idea. This urgency or desperation to lose in four to eight weeks weight youve been piling on for months and years can turn fatal, says Sharma.
I do not advise my patients to undergo keto, but if they insist, I tell them they can try it for four to eight weeks, at the most three months. But Ive noticed that most patients cant sustain it, says Dr Mithal.
Express Explainedis now onTelegram. Clickhere to join our channel (@ieexplained)and stay updated with the latest
Should one undertake keto without medical supervision?
It is advised that a person undergoes the diet under strict monitoring of a nutritionist or dietician. A health care provider or a nutritionist can assess ones needs and can guide about clean keto vs whatever is available on the internet. Clean keto focuses on whole, nutrient-dense foods and puts more emphasis on food quality. Dirty keto is also called lazy keto, as it allows for highly processed and packaged foods, says Sharma.
Resorting to Google and starting the diet on your own. While one can technically attain ketosis and garner some of the benefits using this approach, one may miss out on several key nutrients and increase the risk of disease. By choosing processed foods over nutritious, whole foods, you may become deficient in micronutrients like calcium, magnesium, zinc, folic acid, and vitamins C, D, and K, says Dr Mithal, adding that a number of keto supplements and alternatives like keto coffee, keto chocolates available in the market are unreliable.
What are the precautions one should take?
Doctors suggest that one should increase the intake of water if one is undergoing keto. They should make sure that they remain under medical supervision to check if any side effects come up.
One should see how ones adherence is towards extreme diets, and remember that yo-yo diets that lead to rapid weight loss fluctuation are associated with increased mortality. Instead of engaging in the next popular diet, one should embrace a diet that is sustainable over the long term, says Sharma.
She adds that a balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water is a better idea.
Most of the modern weight loss diets are low on carbohydrates, but the distinction there is that some of them are low only in refined carbohydrates, and high in protein.
But in keto, the carbs are below 10 per cent, which discourages you from having fruits and vegetables, says Dr Mithal. When following a low carb diet, its common to increase your intake of protein, healthy fats, and vegetables to replace the carbs and promote fullness. By restricting carbs, you eliminate many high calorie foods from your diet. All these factors may work together to reduce your overall calorie intake and promote weight loss.
A low-carb diet has been linked to several health benefits in people with diabetes, including weight loss and improved blood sugar control and cardiovascular risk factors. Whereas when following a keto diet, the goal is to reach nutritional ketosis. This is achieved by consuming fewer than 50 grams of carbs per day while keeping protein intake moderate and increasing fat intake drastically, explains Sharma.
The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest Explained News, download Indian Express App.
The Indian Express (P) Ltd
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet - November 9th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020