Ischemic heart disease, also known as coronary artery disease, is the most common type of heart disease. It affects about 18 million adults over age 20 in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Here's what you need to know about the different types of ischemic heart disease, common symptoms, and the biggest risk factors.
What is ischemic heart disease
Ischemic heart disease (IHD) refers to heart problems caused by narrowed heart arteries. This is commonly the result of plaque build-up in the arteries, resulting in a reduction of blood flow to the heart, which can cause a heart attack.
IHD can also contribute to abnormal and potentially dangerous heart rhythm problems, says Scott Maffett, MD, a cardiologist at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
There are three main types of ischemic heart disease:
Symptoms of IHD vary, but the most common are chest discomfort, typically in the center or left side of the chest that may feel like squeezing or pressure and worsens with exertion, Maffett says. Some people may also experience shortness of breath, pain in their jaw, or excessive sweating.
These are similar to the symptoms of a heart attack, and if you are experiencing persistent or severe chest pain, you should seek immediate medical treatment.
While most people with IHD do exhibit symptoms, it is possible for some people to experience a heart attack and not feel it, Maffet says. This is known as silent ischemia, or a silent heart attack, and can result in heart failure since the person experiencing the heart attack isn't aware and doesn't seek treatment.
People who have had a previous heart attack are especially at risk for silent ischemia as well as people with diabetes, since diabetes can cause nerve disease, decreasing the diabetic patient's ability to feel the pain from a heart attack. Undergoing an exercise stress test can help diagnose silent ischemia.
There are also many signs that can indicate an increased risk for any type of IHD. Maffett says the most common risk factors include smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a family history of heart disease, poor diet, and lack of exercise.
All of these factors contribute to the buildup of plaque in your arteries, which can result in a decrease in blood flow and oxygen to the heart. But there are ways to reverse plaque buildup and restore a healthier heart.
Maffett says most types of IHD are treatable with lifestyle modifications, medications, or sometimes a pacemaker, which is a small device placed in your chest to help control your heartbeat.
Lifestyle changes to treat IHD include quitting smoking, increasing physical activity, losing weight, and reducing stress. Medications commonly include aspirin, statins, beta-blockers, and ACE inhibitors.
If you have several blocked arteries or your left main coronary artery is severely narrowed, you may require coronary bypass surgery to redirect blood flow around the blocked or damaged arteries.
To learn more about ischemic heart disease, also known as coronary artery disease, read our article, "What causes coronary artery disease? Who's most at risk and treatment."
Read the original here:
What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER
- Is it easier to burn off a big breakfast than a big dinner? - NHS Website - February 20th, 2020
- When the time is right to lose weight - News & Star - February 20th, 2020
- How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science - February 20th, 2020
- What Is Muscle Confusion and Can It Help You Lose Weight? - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 20th, 2020
- How This Reader Lost 5 Stone and Built a Midlife Six-Pack - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Woman who used food to fill a void after losing twins starts weight loss journey so she can have IVF - Daily Post - February 20th, 2020
- It's Mother's Time to Shine - Jezebel - February 20th, 2020
- Reducing premature death from heart disease requires a broad approach - The Spokesman-Review - February 20th, 2020
- Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Everything you need to know before doing intermittent fasting while pregnant - Health24 - February 20th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast and Transform your Body - BOXROX - February 20th, 2020
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist - GQ - February 20th, 2020
- How to do intermittent fasting safely - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Polar Bears Losing Weight, Having Fewer Cubs Due to Retreating Sea-Ice - The Weather Channel - February 19th, 2020
- The 5 food tweaks to slash hundreds of calories from your diet and boost weight loss - The Sun - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- 'I Do Keto, Intermittent Fasting, And Tae Bo WorkoutsAnd I've Lost 135 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 19th, 2020
- Sivakov pays the price for losing weight too quickly - Cyclingnews.com - February 19th, 2020
- Points for losing weight and winning games in new Lincoln football league - The Lincolnite - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off - Better Homes and Gardens - February 19th, 2020
- Proof of Weight Loss Surgery Benefits Continues to Grow with Breathing Study, says Beverly Hills Physicians - Benzinga - February 19th, 2020
- This SAS workout will make your body and mind stronger - T3 - February 19th, 2020
- DNA tests may soon reveal the optimal diet for your body down to the variety of lettuce you should be eating - MarketWatch - February 19th, 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. back to basics on the football field, drops weight for return - WBN - World Boxing News - February 19th, 2020
- Rakul Preet Singh refuses to put on weight for role: Wont do anything that harms my health - Hindustan Times - February 19th, 2020
- Westmeath mother of seven shares secret to incredible 9st weight loss - RSVP Live - February 19th, 2020
- Dr. Mitch Shulman: Heart disease in women not the same as in men - The Suburban Newspaper - February 19th, 2020
- Worried about your ageing parents? Here are 8 health signs to look out for - The Star Online - February 19th, 2020
- Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Health | gmtoday.com - Greater Milwaukee Today - February 19th, 2020
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020