Welcome to January. Or, welcome to an entire month of fitness routines, 30 day challenges, and restrictive quick fix eating plans. Same thing, really.
With the New Year comes new challenges, new achievements, and new ways of living. It can also come with new diets, new strict workout plans, and new ways of feeling bad about yourself.
Enter 'intuitive eating': the anti-diet plan that's recently seen a significant resurgence on social media - and it may just have come at the perfect time.
A framework that has been around since the '90s, the term was introduced by dietician Evelyn Tribole and nutritional therapist Elyse Resch.
Both experienced in working with eating disorder patients and both familiar with the feelings of guilt and stress that can come alongside food, the pair wanted to devise a means of achieving mental and physical health, without succumbing to restrictive eating and a focus on weight loss.
Nutritional therapist and co-founder of Intuitive Eating Ireland, Sinead Crowe, says that intuitive eating is less about what you're eating (or what you're not eating), and more about building a healthy relationship with food.
Its a framework of self care," she tells Her. "You draw on your instinct, your emotions, and your rational thinking. We were designed to know when were hungry and when we need to feed ourselves.
"With diet culture, were following so many rules. We dont know if were doing it right or wrong, were looking at what we should and shouldnt be eating. Weve come away from that intuition over time, we need to tap back into it and see what feels good in our bodies."
Unlike dieting, intuitive eating doesn't involve following a strict set of rules or organised steps in order to reach a goal. Rather it's comprised of 10 core principals, each of them interlinked, none more or less important than the other. Except for maybe the first one: Rejecting the diet mentality.
A refusal to restrict food, a commitment to listen to the body, an acknowledgment that a fad is not going to change your life. Rejecting the diet mentality is challenging, of course it is - because diet culture is everywhere.
"I spent two decades dieting, always on that hamster wheel of trying to lose weight," says Sinead. "I was obsessing about food, eating way past fullness and not feeling comfortable in myself. Then I realised diets just werent working for me.
"Its a big step. Its quite radical to say Im done with diets.' But only when you opt out of diet culture, can you start the other principals."
Ranging from 'honouring your eating' to 'respecting your body,' intuitive eating's principals vary but the central tenet remains the same: reframe they way you think about food and your body will thank you for it.
The framework urges people to challenge the "food police," become more aware of the signs of fullness, and to tackle internalised criticism of the body.
Intuitive eating does not work for everyone in the same way, says Sinead. Nor is it a quick fix to achieve confidence and self love. But if practised, it is a means to learn how to be healthy, both mentally and physically.
So, if dieting is so toxic, that what else is left? According to Sinead, well... everything. Exercising for the right reasons, keeping up a nutrition dense diet, and having a body that feels energised and, most importantly, full.
Ive got my own fitness goals and they have nothing to do with weight loss," she says. "Goals should work with what your body needs. Its not about doing rigorous exercise, but moving with a purpose.
"I also had to work on repairing my relationship with food. Your body wants to feel energised and comfortable. You want to sleep well, move well, think straight. We dont get this when were dieting.
"Weight cycling is hugely problematic for peoples health. A person could be spending years gaining and losing weight and that has an impact on your physical health."
Unlike the classic quick fix fad diet, intuitive eating takes more than 30 days to see results. In fact, it can take a person an average of two years to fully repair their relationship with food. When you're in it, says Sinead, you're in it for the long haul - but she's adamant that the results are worth it.
I was so consumed by dieting when I was younger," she says. "I just keep thinking: imagine if I had something like this back then."
- Don't Give Up: 9 Ways to Reinvent Your 2021 Diet, Fitness Resolutions - Healthline - January 12th, 2021
- How to Lose Belly Fat | Belly Fat Exercises and Diet - esquire.com - January 12th, 2021
- Kate Middleton's diet and exercise: her fitness secrets revealed - New Idea - January 12th, 2021
- 5 Diet Pill Ingredients That Actually Work For Weight Loss - South Florida Caribbean News - January 12th, 2021
- The best esports exercise and diet plan by the Head of Performance at EXCEL ESPORTS - T3 - January 12th, 2021
- Low-carb, no sugar, no fat: the fad diets popular in the 20th century - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- Robert Pattinson 'Batman' Workout and Diet Plan - Men's health UK - January 12th, 2021
- 7 At-Home Exercises You Need To Add In Your Journey From FAT-TO-FIT - Tech Geeked - January 12th, 2021
- Actor Ethan Suplee, on His Abs, Weight Loss, and Mental Strength - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2021
- Skip the diet and dating goals? You should make this your New Year's resolution - USA TODAY - January 12th, 2021
- Ingenuine workout and diet plans have made fitness freak Vaughn Cohen the best fitness trainer in Marbella, Europe. - Datasource Hub - January 12th, 2021
- Weight loss: "I climbed 60 flights of stairs regularly and got in shape" - Times of India - January 12th, 2021
- The 17 Best Longevity Tips Experts Taught Us in 2020 - Well+Good - January 12th, 2021
- Improve HDL and LDL with TLC - Bel Marra Health - January 12th, 2021
- 'I've Maintained My 61-Pound Weight Loss For 8 Years By Setting These S.M.A.R.T. Goals' - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 9th, 2021
- New Year, New Wellness Goals - UPMC - January 9th, 2021
- COVID keeping you from the gym? No problem - Indianapolis Recorder - January 9th, 2021
- Stay Fit in Your 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and Beyond - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - January 9th, 2021
- 806 Health Tip: A Few Diets To Try In The New Year - mix941kmxj.com - January 9th, 2021
- Nutrition and mental health: Is there a link? - Medical News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Ensure Healthy Thyroid Function With These Expert Recommended Diet Tips - NDTV - January 9th, 2021
- How to get fit: Get fit for 2021 with the best workouts and diet tips - T3 - January 9th, 2021
- One 5-Minute Workout Can Melt Belly Fat, Says Study - Eat This, Not That - January 9th, 2021
- Meet the bacteria that might help treat diabetes - Medical News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Make These Changes In Your Diet And Lifestyle To Fight Symptoms Effectively - NDTV - January 9th, 2021
- Diabetes + Obesity = Diabesity: All You Need To Know About This Metabolic Dysfunction - India.com - January 9th, 2021
- Make these diet and lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of cancer - TheHealthSite - January 9th, 2021
- The Diet Plans To Suit All Shapes And Sizes, From 5/2 To Fasting Via Veganism - The Sportsman - January 9th, 2021
- 'After Starting A Low-Carb, High-Protein Diet, I Lost 85 Pounds And Got Rid Of So Many Cravings' - Women's Health - January 5th, 2021
- The One Test to Get If You're Worried About Your Heart Health - The Beet - January 5th, 2021
- US News ranks the best diets for weight loss, other health benefits for 2021 - WTOP - January 5th, 2021
- Health and fitness essentials to help you tackle your New Year's resolution - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- On Waitlist for Liver Transplants, Women Die More Often Than Men - HealthDay News - January 5th, 2021
- Five experts, five tips: GPs on keeping well mentally and physically - The Irish Times - January 5th, 2021
- This Guy Followed a Plant-Based Diet and Lost 180 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 5th, 2021
- Weight management goals to set this year - The Citizen - January 5th, 2021
- High-Calorie Food In Winters: Why To Avoid It And Expert-Suggested Alternatives - NDTV Food - January 5th, 2021
- Could a supplement be as effective as exercise at protecting health? - Medical News Today - January 3rd, 2021
- Diet & exercise should be on your New Year's Resolution list - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- The Case for Keto review why a full-fat diet should be on the menu - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- Aussie fitness guru Tiffiny Hall reveals how to lose that final five kilos - 9Coach - January 3rd, 2021
- In Exercised, Harvard professor Daniel Lieberman looks at why exercise, despite its aggravations, is worth it - The Boston Globe - January 3rd, 2021
- Cold weather or winter headaches - What causes them? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- Jessica Alba Swears by Pilates, HIIT, and Hot Yoga for Strong, Sculpted Abs at 39 - Prevention.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Looking to Be Healthier in the New Year? These Tips Will Help - South Florida Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Zion Williamson Changed His Diet After a Disappointing Rookie Year: All the Sauce, the Bacon, That StuffHe Cant Have That - Sportscasting - January 3rd, 2021
- Belfast weight-loss expert offers five top tips for fitness and diet in 2021 - Belfast Live - January 3rd, 2021
- Resolutions: Small, steady change to lifestyle is better than dieting, expert says - The Augusta Chronicle - January 3rd, 2021
- How to boost your immune system in weeks and maintain it long-term - BusinessGhana - January 3rd, 2021
- Dementia: Weight training exercises could help protect the brain against Alzheimers - TechnoCodex - January 3rd, 2021
- 5 New Year's Resolutions for Better Gut Health - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 3rd, 2021
- 5 ways to get fitter than ever, include exercise in 2021 - Times Now - January 3rd, 2021
- The dangers of obesity in pets - Kathorus Mail - January 3rd, 2021
- 7-day bodybuilding meal plan: Benefits, nutrition, and grocery list - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Skipping These Foods Can Be Dangerous for Your Mental Health, Study Says - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- The warrior diet: Pros, cons, how to follow it, and example meal plan - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Ray Wetterlund III : You're only one workout away from a good mood - Thrive Global - December 27th, 2020
- The Biking Workout That Hit 10,000 Miles in a Year - The Wall Street Journal - December 27th, 2020
- What is the best diet for women? Options and research - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Cut back on meat for a week with this 7-day vegetarian meal plan recommended by a registered dietitian - Business Insider India - December 27th, 2020
- The 6 Best Diets That Will Make You Live Longer, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- The best nutrition to start 2021 - Sportstar - December 27th, 2020
- How to boost your immune system in weeks and maintain it long-term - Insider - INSIDER - December 27th, 2020
- Drew Barrymores Fitness Routine Isnt Perfect, but This Was Still a Really Healthy Year - Prevention.com - December 27th, 2020
- Bloated, full, sluggish: Is fasting the answer to festive feasting? - Sydney Morning Herald - December 27th, 2020
- Follow These Home Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation - TechnoCodex - December 27th, 2020
- Best way to create healthy New Year's Resolution for 2021 - Mumbai Live - December 27th, 2020
- The best diet is the diet you can stick to - Seacoastonline.com - December 27th, 2020
- How what you are eating is affecting how you sleep - The Irish Times - December 27th, 2020
- Soda Habits That Are Shortening Your Life, According to Science - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- How to live longer: Walking pace may influence your life expectancy - how fast to walk - Express - December 27th, 2020
- The pillars of mental health: Good sleep, exercise, and healthy diet - Yahoo News UK - December 20th, 2020
- Weight loss: "I had dalia every night for dinner and got my pre-pregnancy body back" - Times of India - December 20th, 2020
- What a cutting diet is and how to follow it - Medical News Today - December 20th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise is key in easing joint pain - IOL - December 20th, 2020
- Americans promise to eat healthier 4 times a month but never follow through - Study Finds - December 20th, 2020
- Sabudana health benefits: 8 compelling reasons why you must include Sabudana (Sago) in your diet - Times of India - December 20th, 2020
- Winter Health Tips: Add Onion And Garlic To Your Diet To Prevent Cough And Cold, Says Nmami Agarwal - NDTV Doctor - December 20th, 2020
- A 20-Minute Workout to Sculpt Your Arms and Chest (See Ya, Armpit Fat) - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 20th, 2020
- Sleep, food, or exercise: Which has the biggest impact on mental health? - Stuff.co.nz - December 13th, 2020