Intermittent fasting is one of the top lifestyle trends this year not only because we came out of COVID-19 looking a little chubbier and tubbier, but also because it has proven results with (relatively) little effort required. Nevertheless, as with all diets (and diet fads), its important to be properly informed before embarking on a journey of changing your eating habits.
Here, Dr Priya Khorana gives us the ultimate low-down on intermittent fasting, from the perspective of someone who really knows a thing or two about this stuff. Read on, take note, and decide for yourself if youre ready to (stomach) rumble.
Intermittent fasting (IF) is not a diet. It is a timed approach to eating, and unlike a restricted fad diet, it does not specify what foods a person should eat or avoid. To put simply; IF does not change what you eat, it changes when you eat.
It may have some health benefits, including weight loss and improved insulin sensitivity, but it is not suitable for everyone and should be done with careful consideration. People with advanced diabetes or who are on medications for diabetes, people with a history of eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia, and pregnant or breastfeeding women should not attempt intermittent fasting unless under the close supervision of a physician who can monitor them.
Having said that, there are some evidence-based benefits of IF. In men, it has shown to reduce insulin resistance and lower blood sugar levels (and thereby reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes). It has also been shown to reduce oxidative damage and inflammation, thereby slowing down the effects of ageing. Lastly, the insulin levels drop human growth hormone (HGH) increases, which helps facilitate fat burning and muscle gain.
Depending on your IF approach, youre either shortening the eating window each day or engaging in 24-hour fasts one or more times a week. One of the most popular approaches is the 16:8 method, which is when you fast for an eight-hour window this is often the approach I go for. It is vital to stress that folks use an eating approach that works and is sustainable to them.
The 16:8 MethodThis is also called the Leangains Protocol and involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, such as 1-9:00 pm. Then you fast for 16 hours in between.
The Eat-Stop-EatThis involves fasting for 24 hours, once or twice a week. For example, you may not eat from dinner one day until dinner the next day.
The 5:2 DietWith this method, you consume only 500-600 calories on two non-consecutive days of the week but eat normally the other 5 days.
As a doctor of nutrition, I will always recommend foods for improved health, including high-fibre, unprocessed, whole foods in all colours and varieties. A mostly plant-based Mediterranean-style diet has been linked to improved health benefits, and in this case, I will suggest this way of life even whilst fasting. Making sure you are nourishing your body as effectively prior to starting your fast will help prevent any feelings of being hangry during the fast.
It is also vital for me to suggest that if you are embarking on an IF journey, staying hydrated is key. Fasting can come with some initial side effects, such as increased hunger, low blood sugar, headache, irritability, dizziness, and fatigue so please embark with caution.
Limiting your dining window does not give you an excuse to binge eat especially on unhealthy foods because you will not see the benefits. Eating unwholesome (read: junk) food in a shortened feeding window on the IF diet may also put you at risk of deficiencies in key nutrients such as calcium, iron, protein, and fibre, all of which are essential for normal biological function.
What you need to do is consume a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, whole-grains, and sufficient lean protein and healthy fat boosting important antioxidants and nutrients which all result in an increased lifespan and reduces the risks of developing lifestyle-related chronic diseases.
What is important to emphasise is that the goal of IF is to maintain a healthy amount of calories for your body during the fast so you do not rebound eat.
For those starting out, I suggest implementing a 12-hour fasting/12-hour eating window and building up from there, eventually finding a schedule that works best for you. The most important thing is breaking your fast with fresh, unprocessed, nutrient-dense whole foods, prioritising healthy sources of protein and good fats, all while limiting junk foods that negate any benefits of IF.
For more super-nutritious advice and information, be sure to follow the fabulous Priya over onInstagramandFacebook.
Featured and hero image: Courtesy Malvestida Magazine/Unsplash
This story first appeared on Lifestyle Asia Bangkok.
- '90 Day Fiance': What is Stephanie Davison's job and net worth? Truth behind 80 pounds weight loss from inject - MEAWW - January 3rd, 2021
- The Most Effective Growth Hormone Protocol for Fat Loss ... - October 31st, 2020
- Weight loss supplements: Are they effective? - Science World Report - October 28th, 2020
- 'The weight of The Game is heavy': Experience aids Massillon's Moore, McKinley's Wattley - Massillon Independent - October 3rd, 2020
- Why Celebs and Athletes Are Embracing Blood Flow Restriction Training - menshealth.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How Much Time Will HGH Takes to Work in Your Body - Newswire - July 30th, 2020
- Nutrionist Non-Confidential: what to actually eat while intermittent fasting - Lifestyle Asia - July 4th, 2020
- Cung Le looks back on drug-testing fiasco with UFC: They threw me under the bus - BJPENN.COM - June 20th, 2020
- Reasons Those Last Five Pounds Are So Hard to Lose - Gilmore Health News - June 20th, 2020
- The Basics of Intermittent Fasting - YouBeauty - June 2nd, 2020
- Why you Should Buy Clen and Kickstart your Weight Loss - The African Exponent - May 24th, 2020
- Hrithik Roshan fasted for 23 hours; here are its health benefits - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- HGH Replacement Clinics of Florida: Choose Only the Best - South Florida Reporter - May 7th, 2020
- 3 Hormones That Can Help Speed-Up Your Weight-Loss - Men's health UK - May 6th, 2020
- Growth hormones have their use, but theyre no fountain of youth - ZME Science - April 30th, 2020
- Is HGH is Beneficial for Weight Loss? - April 22nd, 2020
- Can Growth Hormone (HGH) Make You Lose Weight? (FAQ ... - March 22nd, 2020
- Growth Hormone Benefits: Should You Take HGH Injections to Build Muscles and Lose Weight? - Globe Stats - March 9th, 2020
- Health Supplements Still Popular Even With Controversy - Gilmore Health News - February 29th, 2020
- Steroids? Cheds Love Island journey already has fans chins wagging on Twitter - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 6th, 2020
- Want your kids to grow tall? Feed them with these foods - Pulse Nigeria - January 10th, 2020
- HGH A Natural Cure for Boomer Belly and Reversal of Somatopause - Fitcommerce - December 9th, 2019
- HGH Dosage For Weight Loss & Bodybuilding | HGH Vallarta - November 11th, 2019
- HGH For Weight Loss Cycle - Before And After | HGH.to - September 10th, 2019
- HGH For Weight Loss | HGH Injections For Sale In Vallarta - July 11th, 2019
- HGH for Weight Loss: How to Use It? | WorldHGH.com - May 3rd, 2019
- 9 Benefits of Human Growth Hormone (Along with Side ... - April 30th, 2019
- Infrared Sauna Weight Loss - What's the Skinny? | Jacuzzi ... - April 26th, 2019
- HGH for Weight Loss - hcgplatinum.com - April 15th, 2019
- HGH Weight Loss: Reviews, Deals, Discounts & Where to Buy. - March 12th, 2019
- HGH Weight Loss Package - 3 Month Supply - hgh.com - February 20th, 2019
- Soma Spray For Long Term Weight Loss | HGH.com - February 7th, 2019
- Does SeroVital hGH Work? A Sales-Free Review (Updated for ... - February 1st, 2019
- Weight Loss Supplements - Fat Blockers | HGH.com - December 26th, 2018
- Truth About Rapid Weight Loss - hgh.com - December 22nd, 2018
- HGH - Human Growth Hormone For Weight Loss And Muscle ... - November 27th, 2018
- HGH 30000 Nanos Spray For Long Term Weight Loss | HGH.com - November 11th, 2018
- Are HGH Side Effects As Serious As Diabetes, Cancer And ... - May 11th, 2018
- HGH for Weight Loss: How to Use It? | Jintropin.US - December 26th, 2017
- HGH Injections for Weight Loss in Women - Wellness MGT - December 26th, 2017
- How to Naturally Raise Your HGH Levels - mensfitness.com - November 27th, 2017
- Hydrox Slim For Rapid And Healthy Weight Loss | HGH.com - November 27th, 2017
- Help Me Lose Weight - HGH Doctors Prescribe HGH ... - November 2nd, 2017
- How Long Does It Take to Lose Weight on HGH - November 2nd, 2017
- HGH Benefits: Can HGH make You Lose Weight And Look Younger? - November 2nd, 2017
- HGH Weight Loss: The Shocking Truth Fullerton Personal ... - August 28th, 2017
- Seven Reasons To Engage In HIIT Workout - Guardian (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Samuel Sanchez positive for hGH-stimulating peptide - VeloNews - August 17th, 2017
- Proventil inhaler coupon - Ventolin weight loss dosage - Bournville Village - August 17th, 2017
- 3 Week Rapid Weight Loss - HGH.com - August 1st, 2017
- HGH.com - Natural Human Growth Hormone Supplements - August 1st, 2017
- Charlie King on the hottest workout of the moment and why you should be doing it - Gay Times Magazine - August 1st, 2017
- Health & Wellness: 3 no-nonsense ways to kickstart a fitness routine ... - Williston Daily Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Weight Loss Patch, Burn Body Fat Patch, HGH ... - AgeForce - July 9th, 2017