Weight loss advice is constantly coming at youwhether you ask for it or not. You might hear about it via the latest wacky plan some influencer tweets out, a buzzy bestselling book, or your judgey sister-in-law who has been eyeballing your body at every family gathering since your brother first brought her home. There is certainly no shortage of tips on how best to slim down.
The problem is, of course, that most of them are (low-fat) baloney, and wont result in long-term, lasting weight loss. Research shows that almost half of all Americans have tried to lose weight within the last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and many succeed. Its keeping it off thats a heck of a lot harder: A meta-analysis of 29 long-term studies showed that more than half the weight people lost had been regained at the two year mark, and by five years, folks had put 80% back on, according to a 2018 article in Medical Clinics of North America.
So Prevention asked 10 top weight loss and obesity clinicians from around the countrypeople who are up on the latest science and whose main motivation is to help their patients be healthier, if not radically sveltefor their perspectives. Heres what they would like you to know.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
1"Know your why."
People who have a good reason to lose weight are more likely to get it off and keep it off. For example, if someone wants to look great for her daughter's wedding, she is very likely to be successfulbut to regain the weight after the wedding. If a person wants to lose in order to have less knee pain or better control over their diabetes, these reasons will persist after weight loss, and support keeping the weight off permanently. Ethan Lazarus, M.D., FOMA, obesity medicine physician at Clinical Nutrition Center in Greenwood Village, CO, and president-elect of the Obesity Medicine Association
RELATED: Hey, Let's Talk About Why You Want to Lose Weight
2"You are not a number."
People always ask me, 'What should I weigh?? As if we could just program ourselves like robots! The answer depends on what you want. If thats improved health, less pain, prevention of diabetes and other diseases, theres strong evidence that quite small weight loss5-10% or sois often sufficient, even if you end up nowhere near what the ideal weight tables suggest. Many people think they need 10 times more weight lossbut once they make some small changes and lose a few pounds, they often feel so much better than they expected. Scott Kahan, M.D., M.P.H., director of the National Center for Weight and Wellness. He also serves on the faculties of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the George Washington University School of Medicine, and the George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services.
3"Pick a routine you can stick with."
Determine an eating routine of planned portions of plants and protein every three to four hours. Pick a routine you can stick with 80% of the time. Angela Fitch, M.D., FACP, FOMA, associate director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Center and an assistant professor of medicine at the Harvard Medical School; She is also Vice President of the Obesity Medicine Association.
4"One size does not fit all."
Know yourself. One size does not fit all when it comes to a weight loss plan. Ive developed a short quiz that people can take to quickly identify which lifestyle factors have been tripping them up and getting in the way of successful weight loss, which includes questions about when you tend to eat, how much you exercise and the role food and body image plays in your life. Knowing what to focus on can make changing the way you approach weight loss feel less overwhelming. Robert Kushner, M.D., medical director of the Center for Lifestyle Medicine at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago, and Professor of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. His new book is Six Factors to Fit: Weight Loss that Works for You!.
5"Movement is everything."
The best predictor of successful weight loss maintenance is the amount of physical activity you are doing. Long-term successful weight loss maintainers are doing LOTS of physical activity...about one hour of moderate activity, 6 days a week. Donna H. Ryan, M.D., professor emeritus at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, LA. She served as associate executive director at Pennington Biomedical for 34 years where she was active in research, teaching, and administration.
6"Start before it becomes a disease."
Start working on it immediately when you begin gaining weightbuilding muscle through strength training, doing cardio, and stop eating processed foods, which we think is causing inflammation. You want to reduce inflammation by healthy eating and exercise so that the disease of obesity wont take hold In your bodyonce it becomes a disease, diet and exercise alone wont work. Caroline Apovian, M.D., professor of medicine and pediatrics in the Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition at Boston University School of Medicine. She is also director of the Center for Nutrition and Weight Management at Boston Medical Center.
7"Obesity is complicated."
I'm often asked, I dont eat that much, so why am I not losing weight? I tell patients that obesity is a complex disease and typically there is not a simple solution. It may not be the quantity of the food you eat, rather it may be the quality. In addition, it may be more related to other lifestyle factors, like sleep or stress. These may directly or indirectly influence eating behaviors and food intake. Some people are on medications that promote weight gain and impair their ability to lose weight. In the end, its important for clinical providers to understand the multitude of potential contributors in order to assist patients in treating their obesity. W. Scott Butsch, M.D., director of obesity medicine in the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute at the Cleveland Clinic.
8"A plateau is normal."
I wish everyone understood that all weight loss efforts end with a plateauno one should be disappointed or surprised if the treatment plan results in limited or no weight loss at some point. That is the natural adaptation of the body to the changes you've made. Rather than throwing in the towel and feeling resigned that your plan is not working, people can choose to work on maintaining the weight lost or modify the treatment plan if more weight loss is desired. This is especially important if your goal is to lose more than 10% of your initial weight. Jamy Ard, M.D., associate professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Prevention and the Department of Medicine at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. He is also co-director of the Wake Forest Baptist Health Weight Management Center.
9"Adherence is more important than speed."
The most common question I am asked by new patients is What should I expect my rate of weight loss to be? There is no right answer to this question, and there are many factors that determine the answer. The key concept is to be focused on adherence to your plan. And dont compare yourself to others. Be content with your results, whatever they are, knowing that you are doing all you can do to lose weight. Wickham Simonds, M.D., FOMA, founder of Dr. Simonds Metabolics & Weight Loss in Raleigh and Durham, NC, and a trustee of the Obesity Medicine Association
10"You need a backup plan."
The body fights back against weight lossit does this in many ways that were very productive 150+ years ago when food was scarce, but which are maladaptive today. You have to plan for this to happen and have a backup plan when it does. See an obesity medicine trained provider who can help you determine the best ways to deal with this challengethe the provider has medicines, diets and counseling, techniques and tools that you do not have access to by just reading a book or using an app. Remember, we are all a bit different so that what works for one person may not work for you. Craig Primack, M.D., president of the Obesity Medicine Association and co-founder of the Scottsdale Weight Loss Center in Scottsdale, AZ..
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020
- Mum's amazing transformation after shedding half her body weight in just a year - Stoke-on-Trent Live - February 9th, 2020
- 'Losing 7.5 stone has made me a new man' - Councillor from Fulwood tells of a pivotal year shedding weight - Lancashire Post - February 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting A Trendy New Way To Diet, But Researchers Say More Studies Need To Be Done - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- The Truth About Losing Weight With Weed - VICE - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy, effective way - Insider - INSIDER - February 8th, 2020
- Health experts weigh in on cutting weight for sports - WTOL - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This teacher lost more than 20 kilos in just 6 months! Heres how she did it - Times of India - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight on a budget 5 simple tips to help shed the pounds without spending them - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- You CAN eat pizza and lose weight, expert says the 8 best options from Wetherspoons to Dominos if youre on - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Scientific weight loss study by CSIRO reveals key to losing weight and keeping it off - Have a Go News - February 8th, 2020
- How Running Helped This Guy Get Sober and Drop 50 Pounds - Men's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Is cardio the best way to lose weight? Personal trainers bust the myth - Irish Examiner - February 8th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Travis works hard to lose weight to fulfill his goal of giving his wife a real wedding - MEAWW - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss: Increasing this one thing is the key to burning belly fat, says expert - Express - February 8th, 2020
- Desperate bridesmaid asks how to lose 1.5st just weeks before the wedding because its too late to get a d - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Obese man mocked and 'judged' in McDonald's loses half his body weight - Liverpool Echo - February 8th, 2020
- Hamilton gran who struggled to put on her own socks loses over five stone - Daily Record - February 8th, 2020
- VA Department and Virta Health Focus On Reversing Diabetes with Keto Diet - Myhealthyclick - February 8th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the keto diet - ABC Local - February 8th, 2020
- Make the Lose Weight and Get Fit Chicken pancakes: Tom Kerridge reinvents a favourite! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, according to experts - Health24 - February 8th, 2020
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020