Name: Heather GomezAge: 40Occupation: Defense ConsultantHometown: San Diego, California
Start Weight: 270 poundsEnd Weight: 150 poundsTime Running: 3 years, 6 months
Prior to age 36, I had never attempted to lose weight. I had completely turned a blind eye to how unhealthy I was. My life was just going to and from the office, eating take out for almost every meal, and watching TV until it was time to go to bed. My back and knees were in constant pain, I couldnt tie my shoes without losing my breath, and I had zero energy for anything. That was my life for many years.
Around the beginning of 2017, my close friend invited me to an OrangeTheory workout class. I had never taken any group exercise class before, but it sounded intriguing. For 60 excruciating minutes, was put through the wringer. I walked out nauseous and vowed to never return.
But a fire was sparked, and I knew something needed to change in my life. Thanks to Facebook algorithms, ads for a popular kickboxing gym near me called 9 Round Kickboxing started popping up on my feed. I tried a free workout, and within four months, I was hooked! But I was looking for more to challenge me.
Sign up for Runners World+ to read more stories how running changes lives
That inspired me to running in January 2017. I decided to train with a friend who was doing a 5K later that month, and even though I had minimal training, I loved the feeling of crossing the finish line and getting a medal.
From there, I was addicted. I started using the Couch-to-5K running app, and ended up starting and stopping multiple times. But I kept trying. I was running one- to two- mile increments twice a week, and I started signing up for more local 5K races to keep me on track. In April 2017, I finally ran the entire 5K distance without stopping. When I crossed the finish line, I cried. I was becoming a runner.
From there, I kept going farther. In December 2017, I ran my first half marathon. I just kept building every year since then, and in October 2018, I became a marathoner at the Long Beach Marathon in 7:59. In June 2019, I became an ultrarunner, finishing the Black Mountain Trail 50K in 9:55:05.
And in January 2020, I ran my first 50-mile trail race at the San Diego 50 in 13:32:13. I cried again at the end because I knew I had come so far in my running journey.
[Discover how to run 10, 50, or even 100 pounds off with Run to Lose.]
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, and gyms and trails were closed, I had to do something to keep myself focused. I started running virtual ultramarathons in my neighborhood, and eventually hosted my own virtual 50K and had 12 other runners participate in their own neighborhood on the same day.
In May 2020, I had extended abdominoplasty surgery to remove excess skin from my belly and took a running hiatus. I have been slowly building back my endurance and have taken up hiking, which is lower impact than trail running. I plan to summit Mount Whitney (14,505 feet) in October 2020 with an experienced crew.
Along with running, I also adjusted my diet. I started eating more at home (less takeout), but I wasnt measuring or tracking. I focused on eating more vegetables, protein, and complex carbs, and also tried to minimize processed foods.
Once I decided to run an ultra marathon, I hired a local ultrarunner/coach who taught me a lot about macros, gut-healthy foods, and low-sensitivity foods. It completely changed how I viewed food because I understood how it worked in my body.
That being said, my primary goal has always been to live a sustainable life with food. I still eat pizza, tacos, and apple fritters. I just consume them less often, which makes me savor them that much more when I incorporate them into my food plan that day.
Doing all of this, I have successfully dropped 120 pounds during a 3.5-year time span and have kept the weight off. I am in the best shape Ive ever been in my entire life. I feel great, and I look at life completely differently now.
The physical changes have been successful because Ive been working on my mental and emotional health. We have to be honest with ourselves about what we want, what is holding us back, and how important the change is to us.
My journey isnt over yet. Im always a work in progress. But I absolutely enjoy the process. Thats the biggest piece of the puzzle: to fall in love with the process.
To do this, I had to find the best way to stay disciplined. A lot of people rely on motivation. Motivation is fickle. I rely heavily on my discipline. I make a routinesomething sustainableand stick to it. It eventually becomes a habit that you look forward to. This included finding my crew. Find people who aspire to do big things in their life. People who are nonjudgmental, who show up for you, and make you want to show up for them. That has been critical in my journey. I couldnt have done half of the stuff Ive done without them.
We want to hear how running changed you! Send your story and submit your photos to us via this web form. Well pick one each week to highlight on the site.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- How to lose those last few kilos the healthy way - Who - October 13th, 2020
- Active-living passions draw family doctor... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - October 13th, 2020
- Burn belly fat and get in shape fast by adding these workouts to your routine - TheHealthSite - October 13th, 2020
- Oregon nose tackle Jordon Scott never wavered from 2020 vision of playing for Ducks - The Register-Guard - October 13th, 2020
- Piers Morgan bashes Meghan Markle over her belief of being the most trolled person - The News International - October 13th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever in pyjamas after 3st weight loss in Happy Monday snap - The Irish Sun - October 13th, 2020
- From keto to intermittent diets: All you need to know - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Could eating more be the key to losing more weight? Here's why - Times of India - October 9th, 2020
- 6 Things you need to do every day to lose the extra kilos - PINKVILLA - October 9th, 2020
- The #1 Best Thing to Drink If You're Trying to Lose Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 9th, 2020
- Most Ridiculous Diets That People Actually Try and the Reality Behind Them - Flux Magazine - October 9th, 2020
- This Berlin-based startup will help you lose weight via healthy intermittent fasting; raises 4.2M - Silicon Canals - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Report Door - October 9th, 2020
- Fit and fabulous after 50 | Features | wfmz.com - 69News WFMZ-TV - October 9th, 2020
- Avoiding the temptation of unhealthy food Click Liverpool - Click Liverpool - October 9th, 2020
- How Cycling Helped This Man Recover From Open-Heart Surgery - Bicycling - October 9th, 2020
- What is keto diet, how does it impact your body? Is it risky? - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- American lost 55 kilograms and shared her secret of losing weight - The Times Hub - October 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Burn Some Calories With This Advanced Cardio Workout That Can Pump You Up Instantly! - NDTV - October 9th, 2020
- Do chia seeds really help with weight loss? Health benefits, nutrition facts and ways to include them in diet - Times Now - October 9th, 2020
- Dietitian, breast cancer survivor focuses on ways to avoid recurrence - Huntington Herald Dispatch - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Business Insider India - October 4th, 2020
- Losing weight through dieting, exercising or combination methods - San Marcos Daily Record - October 4th, 2020
- College 101: 5 Health Reasons to Lose Weight - Daily Cardinal - October 4th, 2020