As the nation has been told to stay home during the coronavirus, with only one outing a day for exercise initially, many dieters have had to put their weight loss goals on hold. However, though the lockdown could mean a lot of Britons are moving less - and perhaps even eating more as theyre tempted by the fridge - one slimmer has defied the odds. The Dumfries-based woman has now lost over seven stone, and said the lockdown gave her the final push she needed.
Wilma Woodgate, 55, moved to Dumfries in June 2018 and wanted a new life and a new start - plus a new body.
Weighing 20st 11lbs, Wilma said she was squeezing into a size 24 dress at the time and felt horrible.
I was struggling to walk any distance, admitted Wilma.
Climbing stairs was a chore, not having the energy to play with my grandchildren who are nine and six was heart-breaking, but the last straw for me was going to a theme park with the family, being really excited to go on a ride, but the belt DIDNT fasten, and I had to leave the ride.
I was humiliated and it was then that I decided enough was enough.
Wilma decided to join WW (Weight Watchers re-imagined) on June 6, 2018.
READ MORE:Alison Hammond weight loss: Diet plan star used after hitting 20st
My daughter Sarah was getting married in Antigua in August 2019 and I didnt want to be the fat mother of the bride and hate the pictures, so I wanted to lose five stone for her big day, said Wilma.
Wilma said she was incredibly nervous before her first session at the slimming club.
I was very nervous to step through the doors to Irene Notmans workshop in Lochvale House, and felt sick at the thought of standing on the scales, especially in a new and very unfamiliar place. But I need not have worried, Irene was amazing and made me feel very much at ease - more than can be said for the scales.
Despite being a technophobe, Wilma said she soon got to grips with the smart points plan and the online app.
DON'T MISS:Weight loss: Man shed 9st in just 12 months with this diet plan [PICTURES]Keto diet plan: Best foods to lose belly fat in just 2 weeks [COMMENT]Weight loss: EastEnders Jessie Wallace lost three stone[INSIGHT]
Wilma has four daughters, including 29-year-old triplets, and revealed her weight loss journey wasnt easy.
There were weeks when I felt really down, and thought I had such a huge mountain to climb and would I ever get there, but I never ever thought about giving up. I didn't want to embarrass myself or my daughter on her wedding day, said Wilma.
Wilma changed her diet, cooking recipes from the WW plan for herself and her husband, as well as replacing snacks with healthier choices.
There were obstacles in my way like having my grandsons staying over on weekends for movie nights, and the popcorn, crisps, chocolate and takeaways were part of the fun - but I started to substitute my snacks with WW chocolate bars and crisps, explained Wilma.
Wilma has now dropped from a size 24 to a much slimmer size 14, but shes still getting used to shopping for her new figure.
Being quite tall and a size 24 made it difficult shopping for clothes, I hated it! said Wilma. Trying to convince myself I could squeeze into an 18, it was soul destroying! Even now when I go shopping (even though I'm a size 14) I still take the size 24 into the changing room with me just in case... it's crazy.
However, when lockdown hit, Wilma was worried she wasnt going to reach her goal weight - but a new job gave her the help she needed to slim down.
Wilma got a new job at Tesco, working for the online team to help make up the orders for online customers - which means plenty of moving around.
I love it, because now I need to walk and be active, and do at least 10,000 steps a shift! revealed Wilma.
I have the step app on my phone, and love to record the activity on my fitness section on the WW app.
Wilma said she can now run around and play with the grandkids, walk up the stairs without getting out of breath, and has more confidence as a result.
The happy slimmer also said the diet was made easier by the fact she didnt have to cut anything out.
The WW plan means no food is off limits, but is counted up with a points system with a set number of points allowed per day depending on what youre trying to achieve.
Even restaurants were on the menu, as before lockdown Wilma would save up a few points by eating light beforehand so that she could choose whatever she liked when she went out for the evening.
My eating has changed so much for the better. I used to eat large breakfasts to feed two people, takeaways, pizzas, lots of chocolate bars, and I was a constant snacker, but now I still constantly snack but on fresh fruit, homemade soups, salads; and I love to cook now, something I never did before, Wilma added.
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- Breast cancer treatment may be less effective in obese women - TheHealthSite - July 7th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: The refreshing drink proven to stabilise blood sugar levels - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Five at-home exercises for ripped abs, according to a personal trainer - Daily Star - July 7th, 2020
- New national study into long-term health impacts of COVID-19 launched - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- 7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard - June 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of David Dobrik, Who is Skipping Workouts and Eating Watermelon Sandwiches - GQ - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The urinary tract - Loma Linda University Health - June 22nd, 2020