MANY people dread the winter months - when the days are shorter, the air is colder and somehow your jeans become that little bit more snug.
However, the festive season doesn't need to be synonymous with weight gain.
Clinical dietitian Leanne Ward has shared six simple tricks to speed up weight loss before Christmas to make sure you still fit into your winter glad rags.
Leanne, from Queensland, Australia, emphasises that it's all about getting your portion sizes right and not fearing carbs.
She says: "The first thing that's important to remember is that fat loss andweight loss are really different.
"Many people lose a large amount of weight, say three to five kilos, in the first week and think that's really good - but this is often water or muscle weight and not true fat loss."
Instead, Leanne urges slimmers to make it their goal to maintain muscle mass while only losing weight from your fat stores.
Speaking on her podcast, Leanne Ward Nutrition, she added: "Healthy eating is a long-term gain, and the slower you lose fat stores, the more likely they are to stay lost."
With this in mind, here, she takes us through her top tips to maximise weight loss this winter...
Leanne emphasises the importance of incorporating healthy unsaturated fats like nuts, avocado and salmon into your daily diet.
These fats are an important part of a healthy diet, and help reduce the risk of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels.
She says:"Unsaturated fats have been proven to decrease inflammation and are important for active individuals because exercise can be a stress on the body."
Unsaturated fats have been proven to decrease inflammation and are important for active individuals because exercise can be a stress on the body
Despite this, Leanne saysit's worth being mindful of just how much fat you add to your plate and snacks, as it's a very energy-dense food source.
She adds: "I like to add a thumb-sized portion of unsaturated fat to my meals and snacks throughout the day.
"If you're going to eat a whole avocado along with feta and eggs at breakfast, you can easily gain weight despite it being through healthy foods."
They're often deemed the enemy when it comes to weight loss but it seems as though carbs actually have an unnecessary rep.
Our bodies need carbs to function, in fact when it comes to long-term sustainable weight loss, evidence suggests carbs may indeed be your friend.
Leanne says: "Schedule your carbs to around your workout and use them to fuel your training.
BEST PORTION SIZES
PROTEIN - try to aim for proteins to cover around a quarter of your plate at every meal - and the same goes for snacks
CARBS - aim for another quarter of your plate, and opt for carby snacks before exercise
VEGGIES - half your plate needs to be covered in different veg, or salad
UNSATURATED FAT - try to include a thumb-size amount in every meal
"The body uses carbohydrates as the easiest fuel source, so why would you eat fat or protein before a workout and make your body have to work harder?"
It comes following new research from Slimming World has found that low-carb diets are "damaging the nations health" by confusing dieters about the important role carbs play in nutrition.
It may seem a bit contradictory, but one of thebest ways to lose water weight is to actually drink more water.
That's because if you're constantly dehydrated, your body tends to retain more water in an attempt to prevent its water levels getting too low.
Water also boosts your metabolism, cleanses your body of waste and acts as an appetite suppressant, experts say.
When it comes to the amount of water you should be drinking, Leanne says: "Drink one to two glasses with every meal and snack for optimum hydration."
You can usually use your urine colour as an indicator of hydration - if it's light yellow or fairly clear then you're well hydrated.
When it's dark yellow or amber then you need to be drinking more water.
How often do you spend quite a bit of time making your dinner, only to wolf it down in five minutes?
When you eat fast, your belly can't register how full it is - so you go back for second helpings or puddings when actually, you've eaten enough already.
Leanne recommends slowing down and really taking the time to chew every mouthful, so you'll give your body a chance to register how much it's taken on.
Leanne says: "Try chewing slowly and finish every mouthful before taking the next. Don't just shovel food in."
Cravings are not true hunger, so learn to differentiate between the two
She also said it's sometimes worth waiting until you're hungry to eat, as you don't have to avoid hunger entirely.
She adds: "Cravings are not true hunger, so learn to differentiate between the two."
If you think you're full, you don't have to finish everything on your plate. Instead, wait for 10-20 minutes, have a glass of water and go back only if you certainly are.
"Try going back for veggies," Leanne said.
"If you're going back for garlic bread, the chances are you don't actually need it."
Body-builders and gym fanatics yap on about protein all the time, but what you might not know is how vital it is to split your intake throughout the day.
"Many of us tend to get enough protein at lunch and dinner, but we fail to get enough of it at breakfast and in our snacks," Leanne said.
"Protein is especially important at breakfast, as if you don't get enough, you're likely to overeat carbs and cr**py foods later on because you won't feel satisfied."
Leanne pointed out that research has shown that an "even spread" of protein throughout the day is best for fat loss, while eating too much at one meal isn't actually helpful.
"Aim for 25-30 grams of protein at every meal and snack," she said.
This equates to about a quarter of a plate of protein, which should never be "back-ended" at the end of a day.
It sounds simple but Leanne has emphasised just how important it is to get enough fruit and veg in your daily diet.
"A serve of vegetables is 75 grams, which is about a cup of salad leaves or half a cup of cooked, non-starchy vegetables," she said.
DAD BOD TO BUFF I lost 8st to renew my wedding vows - and now I look like Mr Incredible
FEEL THE BURN Top tips to reset your diet and boost fat burn before Christmas
NO WEIGH World's fattest man who weighed 93 STONE can walk again after shedding 52st
SLIDING SCALES I lost 10st after getting so fat I got wedged in a seat on the Tube to work
walsh happening? X Factor's Louis Walsh shows off impressive weight loss ahead of final
TASTE THE RAINBOW Healthiest diets are all the colours of the rainbow, experts say
BANANARAMA Eating banana SKINS helps you shed pounds, beat the bloat & sleep, expert says
NO WEIGH I got a boyfriend and let myself go but lost 3st by ditching booze & takeaways
WEIGHT OF THE WORLD My ex-wife saved me from suicide after getting so fat left me depressed
Starchy vegetables such as corn, potatoes and sweet potatoes do not count here, because they are carbohydrates.
Leanne urges slimmers to have at least half a plate of veg at meal-times with foods such as broccoli, spinach, cabbage and zucchini.
And you should also not fear the sugar or fructose in fruit - as Leanne said "you are never going to get fat from eating fruit".
- Avoid These Food Mistakes If Youre Trying to Lose Weight - Lifehacker Australia - July 30th, 2020
- Obesity: Doctor's tips to lose weight as Boris Johnson urges Brits to improve health - Mirror Online - July 30th, 2020
- How couple turned losing their income from Covid-19 to losing weight and setting up business - Nottinghamshire Live - July 30th, 2020
- Weight loss calculator works out exactly how much you need to lose to get healthy BMI - The Sun - July 30th, 2020
- The Reason Kevin Smith Decided To Lose Weight | TheThings - TheThings - July 30th, 2020
- Losing weight without dieting, according to science: 11 tricks that experts recommend - Checkersaga - July 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight and keep it off for life? Focus on these 6 things - Yahoo! Voices - July 30th, 2020
- The Chase star Mark Labbett proudly shows off impressive weight loss - Heart - July 30th, 2020
- HEALTH: Seven weight-loss myths you need to stop believing - Leitrim Observer - July 30th, 2020
- Cynthia Wells Update on My 600-lb Life: Where is She Today? - Heavy.com - July 30th, 2020
- Andy Robertson recalls the impact losing a relative had on his career - Yahoo Sports - July 30th, 2020
- How to lose weight easily in line with the new government obesity strategy - Daily Star - July 30th, 2020
- Jaw-dropping Slimming World weight loss transformations of Plymouth women - Plymouth Live - July 30th, 2020
- Get outdoors and improve the health of all the family - Derry Now - July 30th, 2020
- What are the health benefits of losing weight? - Brinkwire - July 30th, 2020
- Border residents with diabetes, hypertension losing lives to COVID-19 - KGET 17 - July 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight? Removing one thing from your diet will definitely help - T3 - July 26th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This girl lost 30 kilos in one year WITHOUT extreme dieting! Here's how she did it - Times of India - July 26th, 2020
- Fight Coronavirus With Miracle Pill Of Bicycling To Work, Boris Johnson To Tell Brits - Forbes - July 26th, 2020
- New Obesity Strategy unveiled as country urged to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS - GOV.UK - July 26th, 2020
- How Man v Fat is helping men lose more weight than they ever have before - Telegraph.co.uk - July 26th, 2020
- Losing weight, finding the world - Livemint - July 26th, 2020
- 'It is a mistaken belief that having a smaller appetite and losing weight is a normal part of ageing' - The Westmorland Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- Over time, food has become language of love in life - Beauregard Daily News - July 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Major activity to skip at breakfast time if you want to lose weight - Express - July 26th, 2020
- 'Before I Could Lose 100 Pounds, I First Had To Work On My Mental Health And Sobriety' - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 26th, 2020
- Gianficaro: Readers weigh in with weight-loss journeys - Burlington County Times - July 25th, 2020
- Action Bronson Talks Losing Weight and Mac Miller With Zane Lowe - Complex - July 25th, 2020
- D.J. Fluker running sprints, eating salads and losing weight - NBC Sports - NFL - July 25th, 2020
- Colin Montgomerie, 57, shows off incredible body transformation as he loses 40lbs with diet and pilates - The Sun - July 25th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From not being able to tie my shoelaces to becoming a model, here is how I lost 20 ki - Times of India - July 25th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One ingredient youre better off without to shed the belly fat - Express - July 25th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here Are 5 Drinks to Enjoy and 2 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: From losing weight to becoming a plant parent, they developed new good habits during the circuit breaker - The Straits Times - July 25th, 2020
- Named unexpected symptom of type 2 diabetes associated with weight loss - The Saxon - July 25th, 2020
- Live it. Feel it. Believe it. - TAPinto.net - July 25th, 2020
- Amy Schumer Has An Issue With Celebrities Talking About Losing Weight After Giving Birth - BuzzFeed - July 25th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: The do's and don'ts of riding high during COVID-19 - Agassiz-Harrison Observer - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson says 'we get things wrong' but worst will be over by 'middle of next year' - Sky News - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus Global Updates, July 25: Brazil President Bolsonaro says he tested negative - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Five years after Justin Wilson's death, IndyCar's aeroscreen protects drivers at Iowa - IndyStar - July 25th, 2020
- How quarantine, meal prepping helped this busy stylist shed nearly 50 pounds - Houston Chronicle - July 25th, 2020
- Mayo Clinic Q And A: What to drink to stay hydrated - Greater Milwaukee Today - July 25th, 2020
- This is where losing weight really begins - KGUN - July 7th, 2020
- The 15 Best Expert Tips to Succeed at Your Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Lose weight: Three health hacks to help you lose belly fat after lockdown - T3 - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World champion lifts the lid on losing weight in lockdown - Nottinghamshire Live - July 7th, 2020
- 'With Intermittent Fasting And The CICO Diet, I Lost Over 100 Pounds In 14 Months' - Women's Health - July 7th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever as she models new PJ collection after three stone weight loss - The Sun - July 7th, 2020
- Former NFL Linemen Reveal The Surprising Struggles Of Losing Weight After Spending Years Getting Paid To Be A Massive Human - BroBible - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: Add this spice to your diet daily to help burn belly fat fast - Express - July 7th, 2020
- 5ive's Abz Love looks incredible after losing weight and feels younger than ever - Mirror Online - July 7th, 2020
- Five months after final game, Joe Staley says he's lost tremendous amount of weight - KNBR - July 7th, 2020
- Removing food delivery apps helped with my weight loss: Simon K King - The Hindu - July 7th, 2020
- Dom Sibley Reveals The Time He Felt The Need To Lose His Weight - Cricket Addictor - July 7th, 2020
- Amazing Slimming World weight loss transformations in June - Plymouth Live - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World groups in Trowbridge take District of the Year title - This Is Wiltshire - July 7th, 2020
- Dublin woman shares how she lost 3st - and continued to lose weight during lockdown - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One of the best exercises to help burn belly fat - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Strict exercise regime without correct diet is unhel..ace mayonnaise, eight other foods for fast weight loss - Firstpost - July 7th, 2020
- Survey reveals stress, anxiety, tiredness and boredom are the main causes of unhealthy eating habits in lockdown - Leamington Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Galway PT shares tips for fussy eaters who want to change diet and lose weight - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- Super slimmer mum loses seven stone in incredible transformation after simple boost of confidence - Birmingham Live - July 7th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: From an overweight kid to a fitness blogger, this guy's weight loss journey is incredible! - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Trying to shed extra kilos? Include these 6 snacks to achieve your goals - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- This Guy Shared What He Has Learned After Doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 Years - Men's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss: how the Remarkable Places to Eat chef shed 12st - The Scottish Sun - June 30th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight in a healthy way? Try these desi weight loss breakfast recipes - India TV News - June 30th, 2020
- Yo Gotti Reveals A Massive Weight Loss Of 40 Pounds - Celebrity Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss: Here's how I lost 10 kilos in 3 months post my C-sec delivery - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Film Study: Why Skinny Jokic Should Thrive, Not Struggle In Nuggets Return - Forbes - June 30th, 2020
- Understanding The Link Between Hypertension And Obesity: Know How To Regulate Your Blood Pressure Numbers - NDTV Doctor - June 30th, 2020
- Should You Exercise On An Empty Stomach? Here's What The Experts Say - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Bad For You? Dangers Of The Low-Carb Diet - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rob Kardashian's Body Evolution Through the Years - MSN Money - June 30th, 2020
- Were all big guys: To hit their weight goals without provided meals, BSU football linemen had to adapt - The Star Press - June 30th, 2020
- Sixers' Zhaire Smith will miss Orlando restart with knee injury - PhillyVoice.com - June 30th, 2020
- First-person account: I got COVID in Boise. I'm fine, but here's what I went through - boisedev.com - June 30th, 2020
- Cork couple tell of simple tips that saw them lose five stone during lockdown - Irish Mirror - June 30th, 2020
- What Is The Mayr Method Diet Rebel Wilson Is Using To Lose Weight? - Women's Health - June 26th, 2020