Keto diet for diabetics: Diet low in carbs can be helpful for people with type 2 diabetes
If you are diabetic, can you or can you not follow the very famous keto diet for weight loss? Let's find out. Type 2 diabetes is a condition which affects blood sugar levels. A healthy lifestyle is the most effective way to reverse type 2 diabetes. A type 2 diabetic is required to eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, quit smoking and alcohol, sleep well and take less stress to deal with effectively. Weight loss and weight management is also required and keto diet is extremely popular for this.
A keto diet is a low-carb, high fat and moderate protein diet. While the American Diabetes Association recommends no single diet over another for people with diabetes, keto diet can help in controlling blood sugar levels as it involves extremely low carb intake.
Also read:5 Food Swaps To Satisfy Your Carb Cravings And Add Some Fun To Your Weight Loss Regime
Nutritionist Dr Rupali Dutta says that keto diet is safe for diabetics, but only when followed under strict professional guidance. "Diabetics do need a diet low in carbs. But when it comes to keto, they should not follow it for too long," says Dr Rupali.
Diabetics can also do with making better choices of carbs too keep their blood sugar levels under control and get other nutrients too from their diet, she adds.
Foods containing carbs such as pasta, bread, rice, fried food, fruits are actually the main source of energy for the body. When you are eating carbs, the body uses insulin to bring glucose from the blood into the cells for energy. But, people with diabetes either lack of insulin or have insulin that does not work properly for the body.
Also read:Restore Hormonal Balance With These 5 Keto-Friendly Foods
Eating foods that are high in carbs can lead to blood sugar spikes, this where keto diet's benefits step in. This however, is vastly going to be different for every individual. In order to prevent any side effects, it is recommended that you take expert advice before taking up keto diet in case of type 2 diabetes.
Living a healthy lifestyle can help in controlling diabetesPhoto Credit: iStock
A 2018 study found that keto diet can help in controlling levels of HbA1c - which refers to amount of glucose travelling with haemoglobin in blood over about 3 months.
Keto diet can help in maintaining glucose levels at a low but healthy level. Lower intake of carbs in diet can reduce blood sugar spikes and reduce the need for insulin.
Also read: Missing Rotis On Keto Diet? Try These Protein-Rich Low-Carb Rotis For Quick Weight Loss
What's more is that this diet aids weight loss, which further supports glycemic control and improve overall well-being.
So if you are a diabetic, you can try the keto diet for effective results. But, don't forget to consult your doctor before going ahead with it and follow it for a limited time span only.
(Dr Rupali Dutta is consultant nutritionist at Fortis Escorts)
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections. Election results will be out on May 23.
See original here:Keto Diet For Quick Weight Loss: Is Keto Diet Safe For ...
The rest is here:
Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5
- Denver's 13th Avenue will see a bike lane replace one travel lane typically used for cars - Denverite - July 30th, 2020
- The lowdown on the low-FODMAP diet - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - July 30th, 2020
- The Great Escape: Travelers Turn To Summer Road Trips During COVID-19 - Here And Now - July 30th, 2020
- Affects of Food on Mood: Good food is reciprocal to bad mood - Asian Image - July 30th, 2020
- Elephant Tourism Is Way More Complex Than You'd Imagine: The Thailand Example - Fodor's Travel - July 30th, 2020
- The Safest, Easiest Way to Get Started With Intermittent Fasting, According to the Latest Research - Inc. - July 26th, 2020
- Russell Wilson Has Already Embraced the NFL's Idea That JJ Watt Hates - Sportscasting - July 26th, 2020
- Sleeping in the heat - Sherwood Park News - July 25th, 2020
- Five Great Ways To Repurpose Parking Lots During the Pandemic - Streetsblog New York - July 25th, 2020
- Important to know difference in types of COVID-19 tests - The Robesonian - July 25th, 2020
- Heading back to the gym? Five ways to avoid injury when returning this weekend - Daily Star - July 25th, 2020
- For the birds: Once regionally extinct, loons are making a modest comeback in southeastern New England, with scientists help - The Providence Journal - July 25th, 2020
- What is the OMAD diet and is it safe? - BEAUTYcrew - July 24th, 2020
- 6 Fruits That Are Safe To Consume For People With Diabetes - MissMalini - July 24th, 2020
- How to stay safe as gyms reopen this weekend - Metro.co.uk - July 24th, 2020
- Harmful foods that you can eat in moderation every day - The Saxon - July 24th, 2020
- UK-based in-depth study of early COVID-19 detection - Lab News - July 24th, 2020
- Heroes of the pandemic Save the Children Australia - Save The Children Australia - July 24th, 2020
- Colin Montgomerie, 57, shows off incredible body transformation as he loses 40lbs with diet and pilates - Brinkwire - July 24th, 2020
- How to know if you should take statins to lower your cholesterol and whether they are safe and effective - Business Insider Australia - July 24th, 2020
- University of Cambridge researchers and Huma begin in-depth study of early detection of COVID-19 infection - Yahoo Finance - July 24th, 2020
- Voices: COVID-19 and the concern of chronic disease in the church - Baptist Standard - July 7th, 2020
- #10 Tips to Stay Healthy During the Self-isolation Days of Covid19 - Entrepreneur - July 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Poll finds 81% of Canadians think Canada-U.S. border should stay closed - The Globe and Mail - July 7th, 2020
- Meat Industry Overfeeds Antibiotics to Cows, and We Get Sicker - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Two major cities are getting another grocery delivery option in the pandemic - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 7th, 2020
- HOW TO LIVE IN THE FACE OF FEAR - Manila Bulletin - July 6th, 2020
- Simple and Fastic Apps: Why Do I Keep Seeing Intermittent Fasting Ads on Social Media? - VICE UK - July 6th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Zimbabwe Daily - July 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Raw Broccoli? Benefits and Downsides - Healthline - July 4th, 2020
- Fish: Which Ones To Eat & Which Ones To Avoid During Pregnancy - BabyGaga - July 4th, 2020
- Fireworks Can Trigger PTSD. Heres How to Be Considerate While Celebrating July 4th at Home - EcoWatch - July 4th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Herald - July 4th, 2020
- Why You Should Bet Against Joey Chestnut In The Hot Dog Eating Contest - PlayUSA - July 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Confirmed cases in 40 states on the rise in the U.S. ahead of Fourth of July weekend - The Globe and Mail - July 4th, 2020
- Top Reasons Why Spinach Is One Of The Healthiest Leafy Greens - Doctor NDTV - July 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Part 1: How It Helps You Lose Weight and What are the Different Ways to Do It - News18 - July 3rd, 2020
- Six small things we're looking forward to on Super Saturday - Telegraph.co.uk - July 3rd, 2020
- Stop worrying about bread, nutritionists say the toppings you put on your carbs are more likely to influence - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- The COVID-19 threat is here for the foreseeable future. As cities reopen, protecting passengers on public tran - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Integrity is everything - The Bookseller - July 1st, 2020
- Wellbeing Wednesdays Podcast: What are the Social Determinants of Health? - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - July 1st, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - The Auto Channel - July 1st, 2020
- Kindness of others inspires woman to lose nine stone in just two years - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss here's what the research says - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman shrunk from a size 16 to a size 12 in lockdown following this easy diet - Express - June 30th, 2020
- 12 Tips For Fasting Diets - How To Do Intermittent Fasting ... - June 30th, 2020
- What's Chlorella? 10 Health Benefits, How to Use It & More - Greatist - June 30th, 2020
- Fans stunned by UFC legend Frankie Edgars body transformation as he shows off ripped physique with just 1 - talkSPORT.com - June 30th, 2020
- 5 precautions you should take when waxing your pubic hair, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible' - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Are you getting enough protein and fibre? - Australian Hospital + Healthcare Bulletin - June 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Air Canada cutting 30 domestic routes and closing operations at eight regional airports - The Globe and Mail - June 30th, 2020
- Nutrition for eye health - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - June 30th, 2020
- 'Our Time of Personal Responsibility': In Today's Media Availability, Public Health Officer Talks About California's Case Spike, COVID in Kids and... - June 30th, 2020
- Continuing the fascinating story of Bettys War as husband Harry returns safely - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 30th, 2020
- La Septima Caf Adapts With Family Meals And A Thriving To-Go Business - Osprey Observer - June 30th, 2020
- Dr Punam Krishan: Here are my tips on how to keep safe in the summer sun summer - Glasgow Times - June 30th, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - PerishableNews - June 30th, 2020
- How the explosive YouTube war between James Charles and Tati Westbrook brought the value of vitamin supplement - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Bomb squad raid in Bingley linked to toxic diet pill - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - June 30th, 2020
- Study: Women Are Less Attracted to Men Who Have Cats In Their Dating Profile Pics - Mental Floss - June 30th, 2020
- We Need A COVID Reality Check: An MD Shares His 5 Reasons Why - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- How To Safely Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Your Baby - BabyGaga - June 25th, 2020
- Feed higher levels of Irish cereals with XL Grain - Agriland - June 25th, 2020
- Vegetarianism: Tapping Into the Meatless Revolution - Visual Capitalist - June 25th, 2020
- Lotus Flower Plague-Repellent Pills and Other Gifts From China - The New York Times - June 25th, 2020
- Best educational toys for kids aged 1 to 5 - goodtoknow - June 25th, 2020
- Living with stones in my body - The Citizen - June 25th, 2020
- Is it safer to fly or drive? 5 health experts weigh in - IOL - June 21st, 2020
- Plant-based nutrition as an alternative to meat - Food Dive - June 21st, 2020
- The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just 1 Week? - June 20th, 2020
- Great white shark diet surprises scientists - News - The University of Sydney - June 20th, 2020
- 30 Healthyish Sips, Snacks, And Sauces To Stock Up On This Summer - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Experts on what the health risks of flying on a plane right now are - Insider - INSIDER - June 20th, 2020
- Shock as children find python abandoned in woodland - The Northern Echo - June 20th, 2020
- How to Maximise your Performance, Recovery and Health by Optimising your Gut Health - BOXROX - June 20th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Rent an Airbnb or Vacation Home Right Now? - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting and exercise: How to do it safely - Medical News Today - June 11th, 2020
- Lifestyle: Easing back into the real world - Worcester Mag - June 11th, 2020
- How to Be Safe at Work - WTOP - June 11th, 2020