Keto diet for diabetics: Diet low in carbs can be helpful for people with type 2 diabetes
If you are diabetic, can you or can you not follow the very famous keto diet for weight loss? Let's find out. Type 2 diabetes is a condition which affects blood sugar levels. A healthy lifestyle is the most effective way to reverse type 2 diabetes. A type 2 diabetic is required to eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, quit smoking and alcohol, sleep well and take less stress to deal with effectively. Weight loss and weight management is also required and keto diet is extremely popular for this.
A keto diet is a low-carb, high fat and moderate protein diet. While the American Diabetes Association recommends no single diet over another for people with diabetes, keto diet can help in controlling blood sugar levels as it involves extremely low carb intake.
Also read:5 Food Swaps To Satisfy Your Carb Cravings And Add Some Fun To Your Weight Loss Regime
Nutritionist Dr Rupali Dutta says that keto diet is safe for diabetics, but only when followed under strict professional guidance. "Diabetics do need a diet low in carbs. But when it comes to keto, they should not follow it for too long," says Dr Rupali.
Diabetics can also do with making better choices of carbs too keep their blood sugar levels under control and get other nutrients too from their diet, she adds.
Foods containing carbs such as pasta, bread, rice, fried food, fruits are actually the main source of energy for the body. When you are eating carbs, the body uses insulin to bring glucose from the blood into the cells for energy. But, people with diabetes either lack of insulin or have insulin that does not work properly for the body.
Also read:Restore Hormonal Balance With These 5 Keto-Friendly Foods
Eating foods that are high in carbs can lead to blood sugar spikes, this where keto diet's benefits step in. This however, is vastly going to be different for every individual. In order to prevent any side effects, it is recommended that you take expert advice before taking up keto diet in case of type 2 diabetes.
Living a healthy lifestyle can help in controlling diabetesPhoto Credit: iStock
A 2018 study found that keto diet can help in controlling levels of HbA1c - which refers to amount of glucose travelling with haemoglobin in blood over about 3 months.
Keto diet can help in maintaining glucose levels at a low but healthy level. Lower intake of carbs in diet can reduce blood sugar spikes and reduce the need for insulin.
Also read: Missing Rotis On Keto Diet? Try These Protein-Rich Low-Carb Rotis For Quick Weight Loss
What's more is that this diet aids weight loss, which further supports glycemic control and improve overall well-being.
So if you are a diabetic, you can try the keto diet for effective results. But, don't forget to consult your doctor before going ahead with it and follow it for a limited time span only.
(Dr Rupali Dutta is consultant nutritionist at Fortis Escorts)
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections. Election results will be out on May 23.
See original here:Keto Diet For Quick Weight Loss: Is Keto Diet Safe For ...
The rest is here:
Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5
- Is plastic a threat to your health? - Harvard Health - December 5th, 2019
- Allergies to lasix - Lasik eye surgery lincoln ne cost - Elevated bun and creatinine and lasix - Laughlin Entertainer - December 5th, 2019
- Is HIIT The Best Way To Lose Weight? We Asked Experts To Weigh In - mindbodygreen.com - December 5th, 2019
- Diet Plan For Kareena's Recent Look Revealed By Her Nutritionist - NDTV News - December 3rd, 2019
- As Aspen ski icon Klaus Obermeyer turns 100, he reflects on how he stays so fit and positive - The Colorado Sun - December 3rd, 2019
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency Can Be Avoided By Eating These Five Foods Regularly - International Business Times - December 3rd, 2019
- Brain Receptor That Regulates Body Heat May Also Help Accelerate Weight Loss - University Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- Brony names in the workplace, and more advice from Dear Prudence. - Slate - December 2nd, 2019
- The Top Products of 2019 - Pet Business Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- How Vaping Could Create a Bigger Health Risk - The National Interest Online - November 29th, 2019
- Constipation in breastfeeding babies: Treatments and causes - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2019
- Looking for healthy eating options in Bengaluru? This might just be the cafe you're looking for - The New Indian Express - November 29th, 2019
- A trip through parts of Ky. and Ohio - Ledger Independent - November 29th, 2019
- What Blood Tests You Should Ask For Based On Your Family History - mindbodygreen.com - November 29th, 2019
- Opinion | From cataracts to macular degeneration: Age-related eye problems and how to treat them - Toronto.com - November 29th, 2019
- Vitamin E and vaping injuries: What's safe in your diet is rarely safe in your lungs - The Conversation US - November 29th, 2019
- Try Not To Poison Yourself This Thanksgiving - LAist - November 29th, 2019
- 5 seemingly unhealthy foods that are actually good for you - NBC News - November 29th, 2019
- Steak and chips, fish dinner and beans on toast as youve never seen them before: The food bringing dignity to the elderly - The Telegraph - November 29th, 2019
- Diabetes Prevention plan: Start eating avocadoes from today - TheHealthSite - November 29th, 2019
- Everything You Need to Know About Several Common Enzymes - PharmiWeb.com - November 29th, 2019
- Tate & Lyle explores the relationship between nutritious ingredients and the glycemic response - NutraIngredients-Latam - November 29th, 2019
- Cease the grease by properly disposing of fryer oil and cooking grease - Journalscene.com - November 29th, 2019
- Plagued by unsightly whiteheads? 5 home remedies to get rid of them - TheHealthSite - November 29th, 2019
- Question about keto and metformin? MyFitnessPal.com - October 4th, 2019
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - Mayo Clinic - September 12th, 2019
- How Long Can Your Body Stay in Ketosis Safely? - September 12th, 2019
- How to diet - NHS - September 7th, 2019
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life ... - September 6th, 2019
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017