Tis the season for wishful thinking. The start of a new year often sparks new eating habits, well-intentioned gym memberships and the shedding of vices. Its also all about advertising for things to help you with these ambitions and, lately, a weight-loss app called Noom is everywhere we look. Its on every TV channel and our Facebook and Instagram feeds; it has forged a partnership with Novo Nordisks Saxenda and collaborated with Eversana to branch out of weight loss and into chronic disease management.
So we drank the green juice Kool-Aid and signed up. And what we found is that theres actually a ton that life science marketers can learn from the app thats been dubbed Weight Watchers for Millennials.
Developed with behavioral psychology principles in mind, Noom is all about conquering the mental side of weight loss. The apps ability to do this both in the way its program is set up and how it keeps dieters engaged has led to the companys increasing prominence. Since its relaunch in December 2017, over 45 million people have joined Noom. In an independent study, 77% reported achieving their weight-loss goals after nine months.
So what exactly does Noom do thats so darn smart? And how can the healthcare industry repurpose these moves in the realms of disease education, treatment adherence and lifestyle management?
From the beginning, Noom makes it clear that it is focused on you, the person. Its website only offers one action on its homepage: An invitation to start answering questions about yourself.
After you emerge from Nooms extensive questionnaire, you have three things to show for your online confessional:
Nooms focus on personalization doesnt stop at plan development. The app consistently weaves your questionnaire responses into its communications. It asks new questions each day to enhance your experience and results (more on this later) and even pairs you with a personal coach who checks in and offers tips via the apps messaging system.
Borrow this: Noom proves that the sign-up/info-gathering experience for a program cannot be underestimated. Going deep with questions indicates a more personal experience is forthcoming, and the added data creates a wealth of possibilities for both engagement and segmentation.
So dont hold back on those symptom screeners, newsletter sign-ups and adherence programs. Emulate Nooms human approach to getting to know someone beyond his or her gender and age range. Whats holding them back? What motivates them? Where are they looking for extra support?
And dont forget to deliver against that additional info. Encourage physicians to engage the non-symptom topics on your symptom screener, pull through the personalization by sending them relevant content and build behavioral motivators into your adherence program.
Noom is proud to be nerdy so much so that, in its daily communications to users, it concludes many of its scientific proclamations with #nerd. This orientation works especially well for Nooms premise, which is to educate users about the psychological traps and triggers that thwart most diets.
For example, each Noom user receives a daily to-do list containing a bite-sized health lesson and a quiz or questionnaire. Here, Noom shows off its nerdiness by using fun, swipeable cards to educate and test users on otherwise snoozy subjects such as caloric density and psychological behavior chains. Noom enthusiasts rave about all the a-ha! moments that are prompted by these lessons.
Noom also knows that dieters start strong and motivated, only to fade after the first few signs of hardship. They pace their lessons accordingly: a slow-drip of content that is easily consumed while brushing your teeth versus a library full of resources accessible on day one. This pace cleverly keeps users tied to Noom as the teacher and creates constant curiosity of what insights could be waiting in the next days lesson. Isnt it just like a diet app to always leave you a little hungry?
Borrow this: Dont be afraid to blind users with science. Health info-seekers are hungry for answers and often on a personal mission to become as educated as their healthcare providers. Become their one-stop shop by putting more thought and effort into disease education. And for those with chronic conditions, a moderately-paced educational journey may be more engaging and enticing than an info dump.
Chances are that Noom doesnt represent most users first attempt at weight loss. Its likely not even their second or third attempt, which means quitting the program and relapsing on bad habits is a distinct possibility with Noom as well.
Noom knows all of this, partly because you told them about your past failures in the sign-up process. In each communication, it acknowledges the desires you may be feeling to deviate or quit. And then Noom delivers accountability solutions to keep you on track and motivated, whether via periodic check-ins from your coach or pairing you with a virtual support group of Noomers.
Borrow this: Changing a health behavior is hard. Whether vis--vis medication adherence or lifestyle changes, its not reasonable to think theres only a one-way, one-track approach to success. Keep your audience engaged and on-track by acknowledging that there will be stalls, setbacks, and side excursions along the way, and provide support for those moments.
Lisa Varshney is EVP, strategic capabilities at Heartbeat
- Why Is Weight Loss Still Part of Workplace Wellness? - Rewire.org - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Market by Type and Distribution Channel: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020-2025 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Promising Growth Opportunities & Forecast 2018 to 2027 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Nothing Deceptive With Diet Drinks, Says the Ninth Circuit - Lexology - February 27th, 2020
- Heres Why Intermittent Fasting Is Suddenly So Popular in Philly, According to Nutrition Pros - phillymag.com - February 27th, 2020
- VMX features second well-being study | American Veterinary Medical Association - American Veterinary Medical Association - February 27th, 2020
- Market Intelligence Platform, Sensor Tower, Reveals the Top Performing Fitness, Nutrition and Health Apps in January 2020 - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Europe Weight Management Market Key Players, Applications, Outlook, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market is expected to double its Market size in Upcoming Years | Kellogg, Body-Solid, Atkins... - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market by Growth, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2027 - The Cloud Tribune - February 27th, 2020
- Latest Research on the Report of Weight Loss Management Market by Growth, Future Business Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Jewish Life News - February 27th, 2020
- Ulcerative colitis linked to missing gut microbes - Hospital Healthcare Europe - February 27th, 2020
- Healthy Breakfast: 5 Diet Tips To Have A Calcium Rich Breakfast - NDTV Food - February 27th, 2020
- West Sussex mum who lost 11st and kept it off named Slimming Worlds Top Target Consultant 2020 - Worthing Herald - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2018 to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Oatmeal Nutrition and Health Benefits - Is Oatmeal Healthy? - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 24th, 2020
- COLUMN: Has your new years weight loss plan crashed? This could get you back on track. - ThoroldNews.com - February 24th, 2020
- A local dietician explains why you should drop the guilt when it comes to eating - SooToday - February 24th, 2020
- Two-thirds of adults in north-east overweight or obese - Aberdeen Evening Express - February 24th, 2020
- Pros and cons of the 'No Waste' diet trend - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - February 18th, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: How It Works, Conditions, and More - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Weight Management Market 2020 by following top Manufacturers Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - February 18th, 2020
- Keto Diet and IBS: Can This Diet Help Treat Symptoms? - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Hughes to appeal three-day ban after disqualified winner at Carlisle - Racing TV - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is anticipated to grow at higher rate in near future - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss: This Lip-Smacking Prawn Recipe Will Surely Add Taste To Your Lunch Diet - NDTV Food - February 18th, 2020
- How to count calories for weight loss and health - CNET - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- The One Slow Cooker Recipe You Should Try This Week To Speed Up Weight Loss - SheFinds - February 17th, 2020
- Digital diabetes prevention program use tied to weight reduction among low-income patients with prediabetes - MobiHealthNews - February 17th, 2020
- What is refeeding and how is it better than cheat days? - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Friendships, pets, money, weight loss ... what makes you feel happier? - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Valuable Growth And Future Scenario Forecast 2020 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 17th, 2020
- Eating your way to an early grave - Jamaica Observer - February 17th, 2020
- The Continuing Growth Story of Weight Loss Management Market? - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Drinking Lemon Water For Weight Loss And Other Myths Debunked - Medical Daily - February 12th, 2020
- Analysis: Why Digital Health Investors are Falling in Love with Femtech - HIT Consultant - February 12th, 2020
- Debating Diets: What is the DASH diet? - Baylor College of Medicine News - February 12th, 2020
- Boost Metabolism with These Safe Tips - Chicago Health - February 12th, 2020
- Mon Health diabetes prevention class aims to teach strategies on avoiding type 2 diabetes - WBOY.com - February 12th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Europe Weight Management Market Predicted Over The Forecast Periods 2007 2015 - TechNews.mobi - February 12th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs: These 3 Stocks Are Poised to Soar by at Least 15% - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- How nutrition education can make a difference to people with HIV in Nigeria - The Conversation Africa - February 12th, 2020
- Waist circumference is vital sign of health, experts say - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian vs. Nutritionist: What's the Difference? - Healthline - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends, Revenue, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2029 - Sound... - February 12th, 2020
- What's the Mediterranean diet and how can it help me lose weight and feel better - ABC Life - February 12th, 2020
- Nutritionists Weigh in on How Drinking Green Tea Could Help with Weight Loss - FOX10 News - February 12th, 2020
- The good news is it's entirely possible to stop hating your body - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Use of the Word Diet to Describe Soft Drinks Would Not Mislead Reasonable Consumer - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- How To Apply The 80-20 Rule To Weight Loss, According To Doctors - Women's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Sugar addict mum reveals incredible 6.5st weight loss WITHOUT giving up her fave treats - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- 13 Types of Beans - Different Kind of Beans List - Country Living - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Research, Opportunities, Emerging Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts 2020-2026 - Instant... - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Alton Telegraph - February 8th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2024 - Galus Australis - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - TechNews.mobi - February 8th, 2020
- This Guy Dropped 80 Pounds by Sleeping More and Stressing Less - menshealth.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rapid response improves the recovery of scouring calves - Agriland - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Thehour.com - February 6th, 2020
- French Biotech TargEDys Announces Positive Results of Its Clinical Trial With Its Probiotic Strain Hafnia alvei HA4597 on the Weight Loss Thanks to... - February 6th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Weight Management Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth by 2025 - Technology Magazine - February 6th, 2020
- 16 Tips For Losing Weight After 40, According To Experts - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Size and Share over the forecast period 2019-2024 - Jewish Life News - February 6th, 2020
- Tracking Weight Loss on the OMAD Diet with a Withings Smart Scale - A Sweet Life - February 6th, 2020
- Shapa Health Partnering With a Large Healthcare Insurance Provider to Launch Cost-Effective Solution for Virtual Outpatient Weight Monitoring and... - February 6th, 2020
- 'When I Got Into Intermittent Fasting And Jump Rope Workouts, I Lost 83 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Wrestlers cut and maintain weight in a healthy fashion - The Reflector Online - February 6th, 2020
- Type 2 Diabetes Apps Help With Modest Weight Loss, Review Finds - Everyday Health - February 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Liver Disease 'an Epidemic of the 21st Century' - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- I gave up Diet Coke for a month to see how it affected my body - Insider - INSIDER - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market 2020: Which region will witness robust growth? - Weekly Wall - February 6th, 2020
- Celeb Nutritionist Shares Easy Breakfast Recipes That May Help Shed Kilos - NDTV Food - February 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - February 6th, 2020
- Worried About High BP? Mind Your Stress And Weight - Forbes India - February 6th, 2020
- Looking for a new diet in 2020? Check out these trendy and traditional choices - The Oakland Press - January 31st, 2020
- Science backing weight management ingredients promising but not overwhelming, panel participants agree - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 31st, 2020
- In the news: Shilpa Malhotra - BayStateBanner - January 31st, 2020