Forget the days when questioning your testosterone levels only belonged to males over the age of 40. Thanks to developments in the medical community, we now understand that testosterone plays a significant role in everyones bodies (male and female). The hormone is responsible for the characteristics most attributed to the former, but it also promotes muscle growth in both genders.
If you are curious about how your testosterone contributes to your ability to lose weight, continue reading to find out everything you need to know about the hormone and role it plays in your body.
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the primary male hormone involved in sex. It regulates male fertility, muscle mass, fat distribution, and red blood cell production. While testosterone levels tend to drop as the body ages, many males are experiencing low levels early-on. When levels decline, you may experience leaner muscle mass and a decline in bone density levels. This combination can affect your physical health, sexual function, and mental health.
How Does Testosterone Contribute to Weight Gain?
Since testosterone plays a major role in your hormone levels, it also significantly contributes to your ability to lose weight and gain muscle. In healthy men, testosterone is a wonderful tool your body uses for fat loss. Testosterone helps build muscle, ramps up your insulin sensitivity, maintains your metabolism, and can impact other health-inducing benefits.
One of the symptoms of low testosterone (low T) is decreased muscle and bone mass, fatigue, and reduced energy, as well as, increased body fat. Men with levels of low testosterone may experience extreme fatigue and a decrease in energy levels. Not only does that keep you in a less-active state but can make it difficult to push yourself to do activities that help with weight loss.
Testosterone also plays a role in building muscle and strengthening bone. Those experiencing low T will notice a decrease in their muscle mass and have lower bone volume. They can also develop gynecomastia or enlarged breast tissue and an increase in body fat. This may explain why obese men have 30% lower testosterone levels than those who are average weight.
All in all, its clear that increased testosterone levels can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight and body fat percentage.
How Can You Increase Testosterone?
Research shows that using Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) in the management of weight loss and obesity in men with testosterone deficiency sustains weight loss without recidivism while other alternative approaches didnt.
This 56-week study in 100 obese men on a reduced-calorie diet found that injections improved weight loss by over six pounds compared to those who didnt receive TRT treatment. While both groups lost muscle mass as well as fat mass on a low-calorie diet, testosterone caused significant muscle growth during the weight maintenance period. The reason why testosterone therapy promoted weight loss is that it significantly helped in the ability to gain muscle which led to an increase in the number of calories burned.
These findings strongly suggest that your testosterone levels greatly contribute to your ability to lose weight and fat.
To learn more about how testosterone contributes to weight management make an appointment with our testosterone specialist, Dr. Ross VanAntwerp.
Here is the original post:
Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? - Men's Journal - January 20th, 2020
- Testosterone deficiency in men with Type 2 diabetes: pathophysiology and treatment. - UroToday - January 20th, 2020
- What women should know about their reproductive system as they age - ABC News - January 20th, 2020
- In case you are shedding your sexual want, it can be as a result of those causes - Health Writeups - January 20th, 2020
- 7 Things That Happen to Our Skin, Bodies and Hair During Menopause - NewBeauty Magazine - January 15th, 2020
- Fasting and Breakfast - Is Eating in the Morning Good - Men's Health - January 15th, 2020
- How your height can predict your risk of cancer and heart disease - The Irish News - January 10th, 2020
- The best workout to do depending on what time of day it is - cosmopolitan.com - January 10th, 2020
- 9 Exercise Myths That Have Been Debunked by Science - Interesting Engineering - January 9th, 2020
- 10 Realistic Fitness Goals for 2020, And How to Actually Meet Them - InsideHook - January 8th, 2020
- 7 ways sleep deprivation is killing your health and career - Ladders - January 6th, 2020
- ANTONIA HOYLE reveals everything DOES go wrong at 40 but heres how you can fight back - Herald Publicist - December 16th, 2019
- Effects of Over-exercising on your body and brain. - Business Insider India - December 16th, 2019
- Just 30 Minutes of Exercise Could Be As Beneficial as an Hour, New Research Finds - Men's health UK - December 14th, 2019
- 5 healthy drinks to consume in the winter time | Latest world and US news and updates with bytebell.com - Byte Bell - December 11th, 2019
- Cryotherapy arrives in Sonoma - Sonoma Index-Tribune - December 8th, 2019
- What Causes Belly Fat and How to Get Rid of It - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 7th, 2019
- Diabetes may cause infertility in men; here are some precautionary measures - Business Standard - December 1st, 2019
- I can go for more than five months without my periods. Is it normal? - nation.co.ke - December 1st, 2019
- Ottawa Marathon third-place finisher provisionally suspended for EPO - Canadian Running Magazine - November 27th, 2019
- Teen Mom star Mackenzie McKee talks dramatic weight loss - Monsters and Critics - November 17th, 2019
- Dr. Wayne Bardin, 85, Innovative Researcher on Birth Control, Dies - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- Foods that flop your show in the bedroom - Jamaica Observer - November 17th, 2019
- Investigation on Oregon project following report of abuse - News Landed - November 17th, 2019
- Powerbuilding Basics How To Get Big And Strong At The Same Time - FitnessVolt.com - November 17th, 2019
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - October 20th, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019
- Testosterone Weight Loss Case Study: 20 # Lost with ... - March 6th, 2019
- How Increasing Testosterone Helps Weight Loss In Men Over 40 - November 23rd, 2018
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017
- Weight and cancer risk - MyDaytonDailyNews - September 6th, 2017
- How to ensure your body gets the right balance of hormones - Economic Times - September 6th, 2017
- Day or night ... why anytime is the right time for getting a good workout - Belfast Telegraph - September 6th, 2017
- Chemotherapy drugs for colon cancer - Clenbuterol cycle for female weight loss - Magnetic Media (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Five ways to overcome testosterone decline - The Sport Review - September 3rd, 2017
- polycystic ovarian syndrome: A common cause of female infertility - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- How obesity can lead to erectile dysfunction - TheHealthSite - September 2nd, 2017
- A story of 'enduranz' - Business Mirror - August 31st, 2017
- Why you need to go off keto - Mumbai Mirror - August 28th, 2017
- Here Are The Answers To The Most Asked Question About Bodybuilding Steroids - MensXP.com - August 25th, 2017
- Obesity and its implications on sexual heath - The Navhind Times - August 25th, 2017
- How food can help, harm fertility - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - August 25th, 2017
- Male hair loss: Three ways to reduce YOUR risk of going bald - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Bigelow Center presents free talk by Dr. Woznitzer - Fairfield Sun - August 24th, 2017
- Real Men Wear Gowns: Why men aren't taking their health seriously - KARE - August 18th, 2017
- SEXUAL HEALTH: It's no laughing matter - Daily Nation - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain - New York Times - August 11th, 2017
- Top health benefits of green chillies - The Statesman - August 11th, 2017
- The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India - August 11th, 2017
- The best time of the day for your team to be productive - Human Resources Online - August 11th, 2017
- Man flu is real, but women get more autoimmune diseases and allergies - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Albuterol sulfate overdose treatment - How fast does albuterol work for weight loss - Hayati Magazine (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Myth 1: Weightlifting Makes You Bulk Up - POPSUGAR Australia - August 2nd, 2017
- Fitness trends - Daily News & Analysis - August 2nd, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about your diet - Independent Online - August 2nd, 2017
- FINA Announces Three Doping Suspensions - SwimSwam - July 31st, 2017
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? | Men's Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about what you're eating - Stuff.co.nz - July 31st, 2017
- AbbVie Ordered to Pay $150 Million Damages in 'Low-T' Trial - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- What military recruiters aren't telling women: You'll face disproportionate health risks - Los Angeles Times - July 31st, 2017
- The Top 5 Myths About Weightlifting That Need to Be Busted - POPSUGAR - July 31st, 2017
- 7 Beets Benefits For Your Health, From Losing Weight To Better Sex - Medical Daily - July 31st, 2017
- What Men should Know About Testosterone and Weight Loss - July 10th, 2017
- 5 'No Brainer' Rules Of Starting A Weight Loss Journey For Beginners - MensXP.com - July 10th, 2017
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Belly Fat? Here Are 7 Reasons - Huffington Post Australia - July 10th, 2017
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Men - Reports Healthcare - July 8th, 2017
- Amazing Weight Loss & Wellness - Flower Mound, TX | (972 ... - July 8th, 2017
- Does when we eat matter - Independent.ie - July 8th, 2017