Weight loss: 6 strategies for success
Follow these proven strategies to reduce your weight and boost your health.
Hundreds of fad diets, weight-loss programs and outright scams promise quick and easy weight loss. However, the foundation of successful weight loss remains a healthy, calorie-controlled diet combined with increased physical activity. For successful, long-term weight loss, you must make permanent changes in your lifestyle and health habits.
How do you make those permanent changes? Consider following these six strategies for weight-loss success.
Long-term weight loss takes time and effort and a long-term commitment. Make sure that you're ready to make permanent changes and that you do so for the right reasons.
To stay committed to your weight loss, you need to be focused. It takes a lot of mental and physical energy to change your habits.
So as you're planning new weight-loss-related lifestyle changes, make a plan to address other stresses in your life first, such as financial problems or relationship conflicts. While these stresses may never go away completely, managing them better should improve your ability to focus on achieving a healthier lifestyle. Once you're ready to launch your weight-loss plan, set a start date and then start.
No one else can make you lose weight. You must undertake diet and exercise changes to please yourself. What's going to give you the burning drive to stick to your weight-loss plan?
Make a list of what's important to you to help stay motivated and focused, whether it's an upcoming beach vacation or better overall health. Then find a way to make sure that you can call on your motivational factors during moments of temptation. Perhaps you want to post an encouraging note to yourself on the pantry door, for instance.
While you have to take responsibility for your own behavior for successful weight loss, it helps to have support of the right kind. Pick people to support you who will encourage you in positive ways, without shame, embarrassment or sabotage.
Ideally, find people who will listen to your concerns and feelings, spend time exercising with you or creating healthy menus, and who will share the priority you've placed on developing a healthier lifestyle. Your support group can also offer accountability, which can be a strong motivation to stick to your weight-loss goals.
If you prefer to keep your weight-loss plans private, be accountable to yourself by having regular weigh-ins, recording your diet and exercise progress in a journal, or tracking your progress using digital tools.
It may seem obvious to set realistic weight-loss goals. But do you really know what's realistic? Over the long term, it's best to aim for losing 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week. Generally to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day, through a lower calorie diet and regular physical activity.
Depending on your weight, 5 percent of your current weight may be a realistic goal. Even this level of weight loss can help lower your risk for chronic health problems, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes. If you're 180 pounds (82 kilograms), that's 9 pounds (4 kilograms).
When you're setting goals, think about both process and outcome goals. "Walk every day for 30 minutes" is an example of a process goal. "Lose 10 pounds" is an example of an outcome goal. It isn't essential that you have an outcome goal, but you should set process goals because changing your habits is a key to weight loss.
Adopting a new eating style that promotes weight loss must include lowering your total calorie intake. But decreasing calories need not mean giving up taste, satisfaction or even ease of meal preparation.
One way you can lower your calorie intake is by eating more plant-based foods fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Strive for variety to help you achieve your goals without giving up taste or nutrition.
Get your weight loss started with these tips:
While you can lose weight without exercise, regular physical activity plus calorie restriction can help give you the weight-loss edge. Exercise can help burn off the excess calories you can't cut through diet alone.
Exercise also offers numerous health benefits, including boosting your mood, strengthening your cardiovascular system and reducing your blood pressure. Exercise can also help in maintaining weight loss. Studies show that people who maintain their weight loss over the long term get regular physical activity.
How many calories you burn depends on the frequency, duration and intensity of your activities. One of the best ways to lose body fat is through steady aerobic exercise such as brisk walking for at least 30 minutes most days of the week. Some people may require more physical activity than this to lose weight and maintain that weight loss.
Any extra movement helps burn calories. Think about ways you can increase your physical activity throughout the day if you can't fit in formal exercise on a given day. For example, make several trips up and down stairs instead of using the elevator, or park at the far end of the lot when shopping.
It's not enough to eat healthy foods and exercise for only a few weeks or even months if you want long-term, successful weight loss. These habits must become a way of life. Lifestyle changes start with taking an honest look at your eating patterns and daily routine.
After assessing your personal challenges to weight loss, try working out a strategy to gradually change habits and attitudes that have sabotaged your past efforts. And you have to move beyond simply recognizing your challenges you have to plan for how you'll deal with them if you're going to succeed in losing weight once and for all.
You likely will have an occasional setback. But instead of giving up entirely after a setback, simply start fresh the next day. Remember that you're planning to change your life. It won't happen all at once. Stick to your healthy lifestyle and the results will be worth it.
Go here to read the rest:
Weight loss: 6 strategies for success - Mayo Clinic
- Losing weight can help you lose the pain, too - Harvard Health - January 25th, 2020
- The Mediterranean diet is the healthiest way to lose weight long-term - Metro.co.uk - January 25th, 2020
- PERRY BUCHANAN: How to make your New Year's resolutions stick this time - The Albany Herald - January 25th, 2020
- Don't Give In: Use Noom to Keep Your New Year's Resolution to Lose Weight - Men's Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This guy lost 24 kilos in just 6 months by doing cardio! Here's how he did it - Times of India - January 25th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: burn fat and reveal your abs in 2020 with these 5 techniques - T3 - January 25th, 2020
- Local TOPS Club offers five reasons to forgo fad diets - Hornell Evening Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- If your goal is losing weight, get on your feet - STLtoday.com - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: I was a size 24 but lost 10 stone to halve my body weight in a YEAR after I couldnt fit into my - The Sun - January 25th, 2020
- How to do the Nuut diet Save Money Lose Weights 1-2-3 method explained! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - January 25th, 2020
- The real reason Rebel Wilson is losing weight - Nicki Swift - January 25th, 2020
- One in five Millennials has changed their diet to reduce their impact on the planet - YouGov US - January 25th, 2020
- 'Obese' bear removed from Pennsylvania club after living in poor conditions for 'possibly decades': report - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Wheatgrass to Lose Weight (Watch Video) - LatestLY - January 25th, 2020
- Woman loses eight stone in a year with Slimming World - Falmouth Packet - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight like this guy who lost 58 kgs by following this diverse yet sustainable routine - GQ India - January 25th, 2020
- 6 weight loss strategies that'll get you closer to your #BodyGoals - Health24 - January 25th, 2020
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020
- 22 Ways to Lose Weight Without Breaking a Sweat - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Woodlands business owner aims to teach proper dieting for weight loss - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2020
- What 10 Obesity Experts Wish You Knew About Weight Loss - Prevention.com - January 15th, 2020
- Truth About Kate Middleton Starving Herself, Losing Weight While Trying To Get Pregnant - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online - January 15th, 2020
- How To Lose Belly Fat: Avoid One Drink Regarded By Many As Healthy - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- Mum thought diet was making her lose weight - but it was breast cancer - Derbyshire Live - January 15th, 2020
- Is it your New Year's Resolution to lose weight, and lead a healthier lifestyle? - Leyton Orient FC - January 15th, 2020
- What is the DASH Diet? Guidelines for Losing Weight on the DASH Diet - Parade - January 15th, 2020
- Best breakfast for easy weight loss - eat this protein-fuelled food to lose weight fast - Express - January 15th, 2020
- How to lose weight in 6 months, according to this guy who lost 30 kgs by following this healthy plan - GQ India - January 15th, 2020
- Len Romes Local Health: Are you keeping to your resolution? - WYTV - January 15th, 2020
- 'I Counted Calories And Stuck To The 80-20 Rule To Lose WeightAnd I've Lost Over 150 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 4th, 2020
- Healthy Actions: Lets start the new year off on the right exercise foot - Akron Beacon Journal - January 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: What is the best way to slim down? Expert reveals top tips - Express - January 4th, 2020
- Blown your resolutions already? Tips for getting what you really want. - Seattle Times - January 4th, 2020
- Simon Cowell delighted with appearance following 20lbs weight loss - ABC FOX Montana - January 4th, 2020
- Tennis ace Jelena Dokic shows off incredible weight loss transformation after losing 53kg in 18 months - New Idea - January 4th, 2020
- How Keto and Walking Helped This Guy Lose Nearly 90 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Could this be the last diet you'll ever need to do? - The Times - January 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Matcha Tea to Lose Weight - LatestLY - January 4th, 2020