Arielle Chen | Daily Trojan
With the transition into the new year, pervasive talk of weight loss and diet culture are in full swing. While many see the new year as an opportunity to make resolutions for weight loss and unnecessary body alterations, the danger that these efforts may pose both emotionally and physically, especially to college students, is often overlooked.
It seems that young people already have a more exacerbated concern over their weight and body image than other age groups. With fears of gaining the Freshman 15 to comparisons on social media or pressures to look the same as one may have looked after leaving home, college-aged people face a unique set of challenges fueling weight loss and body image insecurities.
Talk of counting calories, diets and food regimens like intermittent fasting run rampant through campus. Unfortunately, few students are aware that there is little evidence even supporting a 15-pound weight gain in their freshman year; nor is there much evidence supporting the benefits of restrictive fad dieting.
Several studies have been conducted debunking the myths associated with a 15-pound weight gain.
A 2008 study conducted by the University of Utah indicated that college freshman experienced only an average 2.7-pound weight gain. Meanwhile, a 2011 study conducted at Boston University found that only 10% of college students actually gain 15 pounds, yet this was associated with binge drinking. The same study also found that a quarter of freshmen actually end up losing weight in their first year.
Jay Zagorsky, a researcher behind the 2011 study, said that most people gain weight as they get older, but it is not attributed to college but instead to simply becoming a young adult.
Along with the lack of evidence proving a substantial weight gain in college, students may also find themselves believing many of the false promises made by the powerful dieting industry.
A National Institute of Health study found that 80% of obese people who lose weight on a diet will end up gaining it back. In the same study, the NIH observed that even people who are not obese but lose weight on a diet will gain back two to four pounds a year to make up for it.
Weight gain after dieting is the result of a slowed metabolism, which is prompted by restriction. Once a body returns to more normalized eating patterns, it takes time for its metabolism to adjust, subsequently resulting in weight gain.
Despite the evidence against diets effectiveness, the weight-loss industry has continued to flourish, projecting to reach a market value of $278.95 billion in 2023, up from its 2016 value of $168.95 billion. Instead of helping those in need of weight loss though, the industry seems to capitalize on the fears and insecurities of consumers.
Utilizing social media as a way to market their products, through influencers to promote toning, slimming and fat-burning products, the diet industry sends messages that exploit insecurities rather than those that empower and uplift. This methodology of marketing tends to target college-aged students, as their age group is the most active on these platforms.
It is important to consider the psychological implications of engagement with diet culture. Diet culture messages not only reinforce poor self-esteem and body image dissatisfaction, but it may contribute to the normalization of disordered eating.
At a time when young people show increasing concerns over their mental health and well-being, it is ever more important to be critical of the harmful effects of trends and fads, like weight-loss resolutions.
While the trend of losing weight and restricting or changing ones body may continue even beyond the new year, young people ought to be mindful of the ways in which such practices might only further the strains placed on their emotional and mental well-being.
On a campus filled with students capable of making well-informed decisions, perhaps new resolutions should shift away from following industry-produced regiments and diets, and instead move toward other avenues of self-improvement.
See original here:
We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020
- Mum's amazing transformation after shedding half her body weight in just a year - Stoke-on-Trent Live - February 9th, 2020
- 'Losing 7.5 stone has made me a new man' - Councillor from Fulwood tells of a pivotal year shedding weight - Lancashire Post - February 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting A Trendy New Way To Diet, But Researchers Say More Studies Need To Be Done - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- The Truth About Losing Weight With Weed - VICE - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy, effective way - Insider - INSIDER - February 8th, 2020
- Health experts weigh in on cutting weight for sports - WTOL - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This teacher lost more than 20 kilos in just 6 months! Heres how she did it - Times of India - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight on a budget 5 simple tips to help shed the pounds without spending them - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- You CAN eat pizza and lose weight, expert says the 8 best options from Wetherspoons to Dominos if youre on - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Scientific weight loss study by CSIRO reveals key to losing weight and keeping it off - Have a Go News - February 8th, 2020
- How Running Helped This Guy Get Sober and Drop 50 Pounds - Men's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Is cardio the best way to lose weight? Personal trainers bust the myth - Irish Examiner - February 8th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Travis works hard to lose weight to fulfill his goal of giving his wife a real wedding - MEAWW - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss: Increasing this one thing is the key to burning belly fat, says expert - Express - February 8th, 2020
- Desperate bridesmaid asks how to lose 1.5st just weeks before the wedding because its too late to get a d - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Obese man mocked and 'judged' in McDonald's loses half his body weight - Liverpool Echo - February 8th, 2020
- Hamilton gran who struggled to put on her own socks loses over five stone - Daily Record - February 8th, 2020
- VA Department and Virta Health Focus On Reversing Diabetes with Keto Diet - Myhealthyclick - February 8th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the keto diet - ABC Local - February 8th, 2020
- Make the Lose Weight and Get Fit Chicken pancakes: Tom Kerridge reinvents a favourite! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, according to experts - Health24 - February 8th, 2020
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020