Arielle Chen | Daily Trojan
With the transition into the new year, pervasive talk of weight loss and diet culture are in full swing. While many see the new year as an opportunity to make resolutions for weight loss and unnecessary body alterations, the danger that these efforts may pose both emotionally and physically, especially to college students, is often overlooked.
It seems that young people already have a more exacerbated concern over their weight and body image than other age groups. With fears of gaining the Freshman 15 to comparisons on social media or pressures to look the same as one may have looked after leaving home, college-aged people face a unique set of challenges fueling weight loss and body image insecurities.
Talk of counting calories, diets and food regimens like intermittent fasting run rampant through campus. Unfortunately, few students are aware that there is little evidence even supporting a 15-pound weight gain in their freshman year; nor is there much evidence supporting the benefits of restrictive fad dieting.
Several studies have been conducted debunking the myths associated with a 15-pound weight gain.
A 2008 study conducted by the University of Utah indicated that college freshman experienced only an average 2.7-pound weight gain. Meanwhile, a 2011 study conducted at Boston University found that only 10% of college students actually gain 15 pounds, yet this was associated with binge drinking. The same study also found that a quarter of freshmen actually end up losing weight in their first year.
Jay Zagorsky, a researcher behind the 2011 study, said that most people gain weight as they get older, but it is not attributed to college but instead to simply becoming a young adult.
Along with the lack of evidence proving a substantial weight gain in college, students may also find themselves believing many of the false promises made by the powerful dieting industry.
A National Institute of Health study found that 80% of obese people who lose weight on a diet will end up gaining it back. In the same study, the NIH observed that even people who are not obese but lose weight on a diet will gain back two to four pounds a year to make up for it.
Weight gain after dieting is the result of a slowed metabolism, which is prompted by restriction. Once a body returns to more normalized eating patterns, it takes time for its metabolism to adjust, subsequently resulting in weight gain.
Despite the evidence against diets effectiveness, the weight-loss industry has continued to flourish, projecting to reach a market value of $278.95 billion in 2023, up from its 2016 value of $168.95 billion. Instead of helping those in need of weight loss though, the industry seems to capitalize on the fears and insecurities of consumers.
Utilizing social media as a way to market their products, through influencers to promote toning, slimming and fat-burning products, the diet industry sends messages that exploit insecurities rather than those that empower and uplift. This methodology of marketing tends to target college-aged students, as their age group is the most active on these platforms.
It is important to consider the psychological implications of engagement with diet culture. Diet culture messages not only reinforce poor self-esteem and body image dissatisfaction, but it may contribute to the normalization of disordered eating.
At a time when young people show increasing concerns over their mental health and well-being, it is ever more important to be critical of the harmful effects of trends and fads, like weight-loss resolutions.
While the trend of losing weight and restricting or changing ones body may continue even beyond the new year, young people ought to be mindful of the ways in which such practices might only further the strains placed on their emotional and mental well-being.
On a campus filled with students capable of making well-informed decisions, perhaps new resolutions should shift away from following industry-produced regiments and diets, and instead move toward other avenues of self-improvement.
See original here:
We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020
- Woman who lost four stone to get healthy found out she had a rare form of cancer - Belfast Live - September 5th, 2020
- I thought battling an eating disorder during an election year was tough. I had no idea how grueling recovery during a pandemic would be - CNN - September 5th, 2020
- Some of the worst nursing homes in the country are waitlisted for extra oversight - WKYT - September 5th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman Gave 'Thoughtful Response' About Weight Loss Without Revealing Cancer Battle - International Business Times - September 3rd, 2020
- Heres how can you eat carbs and still lose weight - PINKVILLA - September 3rd, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in sexy $1,700 Gucci dress - The Sun - September 3rd, 2020
- Size 22 woman told she was too fat to conceive now has two kids - Metro.co.uk - September 3rd, 2020
- Secret weapon for dieters: Consuming your own fecal microbiome may help keep off the pounds - Study Finds - September 3rd, 2020
- You've heard of dieting, but what about reverse dieting? - The Independent - September 3rd, 2020
- The danger of obesity and coronavirus - centraljersey.com - September 3rd, 2020