Atkins, Keto, Dukan, the Vogue White Wine Diet we could go on. When it comes to staying trim, the A-list dont mess about with their diet regimes. But do they really work and are they actually good for you? We asked clinical nutritionist Suzie Sawyer to debunk eight of the most popular celebrity diets. Heres what she had to say
Fast becoming one of the celeb go-to diets of modern times, intermittent fasting is to the 2020s what Atkins was to the 1990s. The idea is that you fast for a strict given period; e.g. either from 8pm-12noon or restrict your calorie intake significantly two days per week and eat relatively normally the other five. The usual routine is to skip breakfast and eat one meal around 1pm and another around 8pm. This means the body is then fasting for 16 hours straight, allowing it to burn fat when its in the post-absorptive phase of digestion.
What does it look like? Eggs, smoked salmon and avocado for the first meal and chicken, broccoli and quinoa for dinner.
Who does it? Kourtney Kardashian and Jennifer Lopez.Verdict: There are many health benefits to this diet especially relating to heart disease and inflammatory issues. However, it may be low in antioxidants, which can affect the immune system because theres less opportunity for food intake overall. This one needs to be strictly followed to stand any chance of the body getting what it needs.
The crux of this one is super-low carbs with high fat, pushing the body into ketosis; when the body is forced into breaking down fat for fuel. Whilst theres certainly merit in keeping a diet low in carbs overall, which reduces the release of the fat-storing hormone insulin, following the Keto for a prolonged period can lead to acidosis (when the body contains too much acid) or at the very least mood swings, constipation and energy lows.
However, its certainly very effective for weight loss and you can choose the rate at which you want to lose weight by closely monitoring the total number of calories youre eating on a daily basis. For example, if you want to lose a kilo per week (a sensible approach), an average-sized woman would need to eat around 1,500 calories daily. Around 65% of those calories would come from fat.
What does it look like? Eggs and bacon for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch and steamed fish with mixed vegetables for dinner.
Who does it? Halle Berry and Adriana Lima.
Verdict: Weight loss can be achieved quickly, and with around 30% of calories coming from protein, the body wont lose muscle mass, which frequently happens on weight loss plans. However, youll likely to have quite a few nutrient deficiencies, especially calcium, as the diet contains no dairy or other calcium-rich foods such as soya milk.
The vegan diet contains no foods from animal sources at all, therefore it will naturally contain lots of nutrient-rich fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes. Another positive of the diet is that since our food chain is far from perfect with tonnes of animal products being pumped full of chemicals and antibiotics, youll be escaping their onslaught.
What does it look like? Homemade beans on wholegrain toast for breakfast, chunky vegetable soup with barley and tofu for lunch and vegetarian goulash with whole grain brown rice for dinner.
Who does it? Venus Williams and Ariana Grande.
Verdict: The vegan diet is generally nutrient-dense with good levels of lots of key trace minerals such as magnesium, potassium and calcium. However, vegans can sometimes miss out on some vitamins, especially vitamin B12. Interestingly, tempeh is taking over from tofu in terms of popularity as a vegan protein source. Tempeh contains probiotics, which naturally encourage the bodys production of vitamin B12, so this could help to plug some of the gaps. However, taking a daily multivitamin can also do the job.
This one has been around for many years and is still very popular with celebs. Its based on being In the Zone where your body better manages the insulin response and has more control of inflammatory issues. The diet requires a balance of 1/3 protein and 2/3 carbohydrates with just a small amount of monounsaturated fats from avocado, olive oil and nut butter. The great news about this diet is that it includes plenty of colourful foods every day and is much more likely to give the body the nutrients it needs; richly coloured fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
However, its lacking in essential polyunsaturated omega-3 fats found in oily fish, nut and seeds. These fats are needed for hormone balance, glowing skin, healthy eyes, heart and brain.
What does it look like? Egg white omelette with spinach and mushrooms for breakfast, chicken salad with avocado for lunch and roasted cod with veggies for dinner.
Who does it? Jennifer Aniston.
Verdict: The diet will naturally contain loads of antioxidants because theres plenty of fruits and vegetables included, although starchy veg and highly sugary fruits such as bananas should be avoided. Its low in essential omegas, plus its difficult to get the ratios exactly right which may deflect from its effectiveness.
Quite possibly the most ridiculous diet weve ever heard off, the original plan was published in the 1977Vogue Beauty & Body Book and provided very little variety other than eggs, wine and steak.
What does it look like? Just that one hard-boiled egg for breakfast, a glass of white wine (dry and preferably Chablis) and a black coffee. The same again for lunch but bumped up to two eggs and two wines and dinner serves up a 5oz steak with black pepper and lemon juice, plus the remainder of the white wine (youre allowed one bottle per day).
Who does it? Hopefully no one has done this since 1977.
Verdict: Whilst initially, consuming a bottle of white wine a day might put a smile on your face, it will quickly turn to tears and tantrums on this diet. Youll lose weight because there are so few calories, but it will seriously affect your emotional wellbeing, not to mention digestion. Avoid at all costs.
One of the most famous fad diets out there, first devised by Robert Atkins, it became a dedicated eating plan of many celebrities over the years. The idea is that by subscribing to a low carbohydrate intake, it could lead to weight loss.
What does it look like? Meat and full fat dairy. Beef, pork, lamb and chicken are encouraged, as are fatty fish like salmon and sardines. Low-carb veggies such as kale, spinach, broccoli and asparagus (think the greener the better) are welcomed, as are butter, cheese and cream.
Who does it? Kim Kardashian
Verdict: The Atkins diet contains high protein and fat, both of which will keep you feeling satiated. Whilst it lacks antioxidants and some nutrients, its fine for a relatively short period and will certainly help stop Type 2 diabetes in its tracks, if thats where youre heading.
A bit like Atkins, the Dukan Diet was created by Dr Pierre Dukan, a French practitioner who specialised in weight management. Its all about high-protein, low-carbs.
What does it look like? Alternating days of lean meats and vegetables beef, pork, poultry and eggs one day, followed by a day of veggies the next.
Who does it? Kate Middleton
Verdict: This diet is very balanced as it contains 100 different foods, its high in low-fat protein and theres some really tasty meal options. However, the lack of carbs might affect mood after a while.
This diet is basically a throw-back to caveman times based on meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds. Out go dairy, sugar, grains, legumes and beans.
The good news is that since its based on healthy eating principles, with foods that are not processed or pumped full of hormones, its certainly not in fad territory, unlike some other celebrity diets.What does it look like? Spinach, mushroom and tomato omelette to start the day (look for omega-3 enriched eggs), wild salmon salad for lunch and organic roasted chicken with mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli and peas for dinner. Its not going to be cheap.
Who does it? Miley Cyrus and Matthew McConaughey.
Verdict: Your diet will be very clean with no refined foods allowed. It naturally follows that youll be getting a great range of nutrients. However, the Paleo Diet could lead to deficiencies in the mineral iodine, since dairy is one of the main sources. We know that 17% of women of child-bearing age are iodine-deficient and iodine is key for growth and brain development during pregnancy.
The alkaline diet is based on the idea that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods can improve your health and is thought by some to fight off serious diseases such as cancer.
What does it look like? Raw fruit and vegetable, seeds and nuts, legumes and soy are all in but eggs, meat, alcohol and caffeine are all out.
Who does it? Victoria Beckham and Sam Smith are said to be fans.
Verdict: The body strictly maintains its slightly alkaline state as a normal part of its daily work. However, by eating plenty of green leafy and root vegetables and lemons which are all alkaline, youll notice joints will run smoother, hair and skin will shine and glow, and youll also lose some weight.
Any changes in eating regimes, including these diets or even if you are trying to cut down (or cut out) food groups such as dairy, red meat and carbohydrates will have an effect on your nutritional balance. Suzie says, I always recommend taking a good quality daily multivitamin to top up on all the essential vitamins and minerals like The Alive! Ultra Wholefood Plus range.
Suzie Sawyer is a Clinical Nutritionist for http://www.feelaliveuk.com
See the article here:
We Asked A Nutritionist To Debunk These Celebrity Diets - The Handbook
- Why Is Weight Loss Still Part of Workplace Wellness? - Rewire.org - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Market by Type and Distribution Channel: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020-2025 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Promising Growth Opportunities & Forecast 2018 to 2027 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Nothing Deceptive With Diet Drinks, Says the Ninth Circuit - Lexology - February 27th, 2020
- Heres Why Intermittent Fasting Is Suddenly So Popular in Philly, According to Nutrition Pros - phillymag.com - February 27th, 2020
- VMX features second well-being study | American Veterinary Medical Association - American Veterinary Medical Association - February 27th, 2020
- Market Intelligence Platform, Sensor Tower, Reveals the Top Performing Fitness, Nutrition and Health Apps in January 2020 - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Europe Weight Management Market Key Players, Applications, Outlook, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market is expected to double its Market size in Upcoming Years | Kellogg, Body-Solid, Atkins... - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market by Growth, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2027 - The Cloud Tribune - February 27th, 2020
- Latest Research on the Report of Weight Loss Management Market by Growth, Future Business Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Jewish Life News - February 27th, 2020
- Ulcerative colitis linked to missing gut microbes - Hospital Healthcare Europe - February 27th, 2020
- Healthy Breakfast: 5 Diet Tips To Have A Calcium Rich Breakfast - NDTV Food - February 27th, 2020
- West Sussex mum who lost 11st and kept it off named Slimming Worlds Top Target Consultant 2020 - Worthing Herald - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2018 to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Oatmeal Nutrition and Health Benefits - Is Oatmeal Healthy? - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 24th, 2020
- COLUMN: Has your new years weight loss plan crashed? This could get you back on track. - ThoroldNews.com - February 24th, 2020
- A local dietician explains why you should drop the guilt when it comes to eating - SooToday - February 24th, 2020
- Two-thirds of adults in north-east overweight or obese - Aberdeen Evening Express - February 24th, 2020
- Pros and cons of the 'No Waste' diet trend - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - February 18th, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: How It Works, Conditions, and More - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Weight Management Market 2020 by following top Manufacturers Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - February 18th, 2020
- Keto Diet and IBS: Can This Diet Help Treat Symptoms? - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Hughes to appeal three-day ban after disqualified winner at Carlisle - Racing TV - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is anticipated to grow at higher rate in near future - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss: This Lip-Smacking Prawn Recipe Will Surely Add Taste To Your Lunch Diet - NDTV Food - February 18th, 2020
- How to count calories for weight loss and health - CNET - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- The One Slow Cooker Recipe You Should Try This Week To Speed Up Weight Loss - SheFinds - February 17th, 2020
- Digital diabetes prevention program use tied to weight reduction among low-income patients with prediabetes - MobiHealthNews - February 17th, 2020
- What is refeeding and how is it better than cheat days? - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Friendships, pets, money, weight loss ... what makes you feel happier? - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Valuable Growth And Future Scenario Forecast 2020 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 17th, 2020
- Eating your way to an early grave - Jamaica Observer - February 17th, 2020
- The Continuing Growth Story of Weight Loss Management Market? - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Drinking Lemon Water For Weight Loss And Other Myths Debunked - Medical Daily - February 12th, 2020
- Analysis: Why Digital Health Investors are Falling in Love with Femtech - HIT Consultant - February 12th, 2020
- Debating Diets: What is the DASH diet? - Baylor College of Medicine News - February 12th, 2020
- Boost Metabolism with These Safe Tips - Chicago Health - February 12th, 2020
- Mon Health diabetes prevention class aims to teach strategies on avoiding type 2 diabetes - WBOY.com - February 12th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Europe Weight Management Market Predicted Over The Forecast Periods 2007 2015 - TechNews.mobi - February 12th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs: These 3 Stocks Are Poised to Soar by at Least 15% - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- How nutrition education can make a difference to people with HIV in Nigeria - The Conversation Africa - February 12th, 2020
- Waist circumference is vital sign of health, experts say - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian vs. Nutritionist: What's the Difference? - Healthline - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends, Revenue, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2029 - Sound... - February 12th, 2020
- What's the Mediterranean diet and how can it help me lose weight and feel better - ABC Life - February 12th, 2020
- Nutritionists Weigh in on How Drinking Green Tea Could Help with Weight Loss - FOX10 News - February 12th, 2020
- The good news is it's entirely possible to stop hating your body - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Use of the Word Diet to Describe Soft Drinks Would Not Mislead Reasonable Consumer - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- How To Apply The 80-20 Rule To Weight Loss, According To Doctors - Women's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Sugar addict mum reveals incredible 6.5st weight loss WITHOUT giving up her fave treats - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- 13 Types of Beans - Different Kind of Beans List - Country Living - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Research, Opportunities, Emerging Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts 2020-2026 - Instant... - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Alton Telegraph - February 8th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2024 - Galus Australis - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - TechNews.mobi - February 8th, 2020
- This Guy Dropped 80 Pounds by Sleeping More and Stressing Less - menshealth.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rapid response improves the recovery of scouring calves - Agriland - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Thehour.com - February 6th, 2020
- French Biotech TargEDys Announces Positive Results of Its Clinical Trial With Its Probiotic Strain Hafnia alvei HA4597 on the Weight Loss Thanks to... - February 6th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Weight Management Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth by 2025 - Technology Magazine - February 6th, 2020
- 16 Tips For Losing Weight After 40, According To Experts - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Size and Share over the forecast period 2019-2024 - Jewish Life News - February 6th, 2020
- Tracking Weight Loss on the OMAD Diet with a Withings Smart Scale - A Sweet Life - February 6th, 2020
- Shapa Health Partnering With a Large Healthcare Insurance Provider to Launch Cost-Effective Solution for Virtual Outpatient Weight Monitoring and... - February 6th, 2020
- 'When I Got Into Intermittent Fasting And Jump Rope Workouts, I Lost 83 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Wrestlers cut and maintain weight in a healthy fashion - The Reflector Online - February 6th, 2020
- Type 2 Diabetes Apps Help With Modest Weight Loss, Review Finds - Everyday Health - February 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Liver Disease 'an Epidemic of the 21st Century' - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- I gave up Diet Coke for a month to see how it affected my body - Insider - INSIDER - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market 2020: Which region will witness robust growth? - Weekly Wall - February 6th, 2020
- Celeb Nutritionist Shares Easy Breakfast Recipes That May Help Shed Kilos - NDTV Food - February 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - February 6th, 2020
- Worried About High BP? Mind Your Stress And Weight - Forbes India - February 6th, 2020
- Looking for a new diet in 2020? Check out these trendy and traditional choices - The Oakland Press - January 31st, 2020
- Science backing weight management ingredients promising but not overwhelming, panel participants agree - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 31st, 2020
- In the news: Shilpa Malhotra - BayStateBanner - January 31st, 2020