Want to experience serious information overload? Google male menopause.
Within seconds, youll be faced with reams of advice, from acupuncturists to news outlets. As you dig deeper, you might learn that male menopause is quite controversial. Commentators argue about every aspect of the condition, from what it is, to what to call it, to whether it exists at all.
So what is male menopause? And if it does exist, how can you tell if you have it?
Some people use the term male menopause to refer to hormonal changes that some men experience as they get older.
As men age, their testosterone levels tend to decrease. According to the Mayo Clinic, most mens testosterone levels peak in adolescence and early adulthood. After age 30 or 40, those levels tend to decline by about 1 percent per year. By age 70, your testosterone level might reach closer to 50 percent of your peak level.
This hormonal shift can cause physical, emotional, and cognitive changes.
So why is there a controversy? In truth, male menopause differs substantially from female menopause. While female menopause is a natural part of aging, some older men never develop low testosterone beyond what is considered naturally acceptable.
Female menopause also sets in quite quickly, while low T can develop over decades.
According to the Endocrine Society, morning testosterone levels below 300 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL) are typically considered low. Dr. Ciril Godec, chief urologist at Downstate Long Island College Hospital, notes that hes seen someone in his 80s with [a level of] 600 ng/dL, and someone in his 30s with [a level of] 150 ng/dL.
Due to these differences, many doctors prefer the terms andropause, androgen deficiency of the aging male, or late-onset hypogonadism to describe this condition.
By any name, low T can be troublesome. According to researchers in the International Journal of Clinical Practice, it can cause a variety of symptoms and complications.
For example, its been linked to reduced sex drive, erectile dysfunction (weaker erections), loss of muscle mass, increased fat accumulation, low bone mass, fatigue, sleep problems, and depression.
Testosterone plays a vital role in maintaining your sex drive and function. If your libido is lower than usual, it might be a sign of low T caused by andropause or another condition.
Low T can also lead to erectile dysfunction. This happens when you have trouble getting or maintaining an erection. It can also cause your sperm count to decline.
Testosterone helps regulate your mood. If your testosterone level drops, you might become depressed.
Common symptoms of depression include persistent feelings of sadness, emptiness, anxiety, irritability, or anger. You struggle to concentrate or remember things, lose interest in things you once enjoyed, or develop suicidal thoughts.
Those who are close to you may notice your depressed behavior before you even realize it. Depression due to any cause can be a hard thing to accept, and it may affect those around you.
In some cases, depression may be the first symptom of low T that you notice. In fact, Godec notes that many men in andropause go to psychiatrists before they think to get their testosterone checked.
Testosterone helps your body maintain healthy energy levels. If youre experiencing andropause, you might feel fatigued. You might struggle to find the energy to participate in your normal activities.
Low T can also contribute to sleep problems. Testosterone plays an important role in regulating your sleep patterns. If your testosterone level declines, you might experience insomnia and disturbed sleep.
Symptoms of insomnia include difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. It can then lead to daytime sleepiness, trouble focusing, irritability, and being easily angered.
Testosterone helps your body maintain your bone density. If you develop andropause, your bones may become less dense. This can lead to osteoporosis, a condition in which your bones become brittle and fragile, fracturing more easily.
In many cases, osteoporosis doesnt cause noticeable symptoms. You might not learn you have the condition until you sustain an unusual bone fracture or undergo a routine screening test. If your doctor suspects you have it, they may order a bone density test. They may also order a blood test to check your testosterone levels.
Excess abdominal fat can be both a cause and an effect of low testosterone.
Testosterone helps slow your bodys buildup of belly fat. If your testosterone level drops, you may accumulate more fat around your middle. In turn, an enzyme in your fat tissue converts testosterone to estrogen. This can cause your testosterone level to drop even more.
Other potential symptoms of andropause include:
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, make an appointment with your doctor.
If youre experiencing symptoms of low T or suspect you might be experiencing andropause, visit your doctor. They should be able to help you identify and address the cause of your symptoms.
To treat andropause, your doctor might recommend testosterone replacement therapy or other treatments.
Lifestyle changes may also help. According to Godec, a healthy lifestyle is the best guarantor that your testosterone will remain at a healthy level as you age. Make sure to exercise, eat a healthy diet, and maintain a healthy weight.
Read the original here:
Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk?
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017