BULLHEAD CITY Western Arizona Regional Medical Center has been highlighting Heart Month.
Staff has presented informational events about heart health in February.
On Tuesday at WARMC is the Rocking the Red Heart Health Fair.
From 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. will be the free blood pressure checks, free blood tests to determine ones fasting glucose and lipids, and a variety of heart health information displays. Staff will be taking peoples blood pressure and a pharmacist will be on hand to help attendees review their medications. People getting blood tests will need to fast beforehand. There will be a complimentary breakfast included.
From 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., there will be a free heart-health event requiring anyone planning on attending to RSVP at WARMC.com/classes. Scheduled for this hour will be an introduction to the cath lab and hands-only CPR training.
People attending either event are highly encouraged to wear red in support of heart disease awareness. Doctors and staff at the hospital have been wearing the color at times as well this month.
Health care professionals at Thursdays general medical staff meeting took a moment to pose for a picture to promote Rock The Red and the importance of heart care.
Cardiology Interventionist Dr. Malik Rahim, of Western Arizona Interventional Cardiology, talked about congestive heart failure to the people at the meeting.
He made a less technical version of the presentation to WARMCs Senior Circle earlier in the month. This is a portion of the earlier presentation.
Rahim explained that congestive heart failure happens when blood backs up or congests into the liver, abdomen or lungs.
This typically happens when the heart muscle is damaged, weakened, stiffened and/or enlarged, Rahim noted.
One may notice swelling of their legs or ankles, or even the whole body if the condition is left untreated.
Risk factors for congestive heart failure include coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, damaged heart muscle, history of heart attack, faulty heart valves, congenital heart defects, poor diet and lack of exercise.
Symptoms are swelling, sudden weight gain, fatigue, shortness of breath, coughing and palpitations.
People diagnosed with this condition can prevent flare-ups by keeping to a low-sodium, low-fat diet; losing weight; staying physically active; reducing or eliminating alcohol and caffeine; and quitting smoking.
The idea is to control the persons blood pressure, reduce the strain extra weight can put on ones heart and lower ones stress.
Rahim also noted that consumption of alcohol and caffeine can weaken a heart thats already damaged while smoking can damage blood vessels and make the heart beat faster.
Moderate physical activity can help the heart grow stronger. Short walks are a good start. Finding an activity you enjoy will make it easier to do regularly.
He also warned that too much physical activity can be a bad thing and that its important to follow the doctors guidelines. Watch for shortness of breath, cough, chest discomfort, pain, dizziness, fast heartbeat and extreme weakness. If any of these symptoms occur, stop and rest.
Rahim emphasized that if the symptoms dont go away after some rest, call your doctor or go to the emergency room.
Something to remember in the Tri-state: Try to avoid activities in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
Rahim also talked about the importance of following directions for using prescribed medications and the purpose of commonly described types of pills for congestive heart failure patients.
Go here to see the original:
WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News
- Strength Training is a Healthy Hearts BFF - BELatina - February 24th, 2020
- The dark side of slimming teas | The New Times | Rwanda - The New Times - February 24th, 2020
- Greta Thunberg's mother speaks out on daughter's autism and past eating disorder: 'She was slowly disappearing' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 24th, 2020
- Record two million people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes - expressandstar.com - February 24th, 2020
- She learned to love eating -- and herself -- despite a lifetime of fat shaming - CNN - February 24th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Journey - Wyoming Tribune - February 24th, 2020
- Influencer's advice to give up drinking water is 'warped' - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Skipton station worker on mission to lose 10 stone - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - February 24th, 2020
- How to do the metabolism diet from Save Money: Lose Weight detox your body in 4 weeks! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 21st, 2020
- Want to lose more weight? Intensive therapy from dietitians can help older adults, study finds - CNN - February 21st, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: The one food you should eat more of to help burn belly fat fast - Express - February 21st, 2020
- Walking Your Way to Weight Loss? Here's How Many Minutes You Should Log on the Treadmill - msnNOW - February 21st, 2020
- 'I Started Eating 90 Percent Keto And Doing Tae BoAnd I Lost 6 Lbs. In The First Week Alone' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 21st, 2020
- 15 Celeb Weight-Loss Transformations That Will Inspire The Sh*t Out Of You - Pulse Ghana - February 21st, 2020
- Real Women Share The Most Important Factors That Helped Them Lose Weight - Women's Health - February 21st, 2020
- Can I get pregnant with PCOS? Yes, but there are risks - Business Insider Australia - February 21st, 2020
- Syracuse woman is devoted to making the world a better place through roller skating - syracuse.com - February 21st, 2020
- FOOTBALL: Play the game and lose weight - Spalding Today - February 21st, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Business Insider Australia - February 21st, 2020
- How Fittr cracked the fitness code and grew into a Rs 100 crore business - The News Minute - February 21st, 2020
- Yoga to reduce belly fat Part 1: 4 asanas that will stretch and contract your core muscles - Firstpost - February 21st, 2020
- Jessa Duggar's Followers Are Shocked That Her Husband, Ben Seewald, Majorly Changed His Look - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 21st, 2020
- Is it easier to burn off a big breakfast than a big dinner? - NHS Website - February 20th, 2020
- When the time is right to lose weight - News & Star - February 20th, 2020
- How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science - February 20th, 2020
- What Is Muscle Confusion and Can It Help You Lose Weight? - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 20th, 2020
- How This Reader Lost 5 Stone and Built a Midlife Six-Pack - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Woman who used food to fill a void after losing twins starts weight loss journey so she can have IVF - Daily Post - February 20th, 2020
- It's Mother's Time to Shine - Jezebel - February 20th, 2020
- Reducing premature death from heart disease requires a broad approach - The Spokesman-Review - February 20th, 2020
- Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Everything you need to know before doing intermittent fasting while pregnant - Health24 - February 20th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast and Transform your Body - BOXROX - February 20th, 2020
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist - GQ - February 20th, 2020
- How to do intermittent fasting safely - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Polar Bears Losing Weight, Having Fewer Cubs Due to Retreating Sea-Ice - The Weather Channel - February 19th, 2020
- The 5 food tweaks to slash hundreds of calories from your diet and boost weight loss - The Sun - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- 'I Do Keto, Intermittent Fasting, And Tae Bo WorkoutsAnd I've Lost 135 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 19th, 2020
- Sivakov pays the price for losing weight too quickly - Cyclingnews.com - February 19th, 2020
- Points for losing weight and winning games in new Lincoln football league - The Lincolnite - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off - Better Homes and Gardens - February 19th, 2020
- Proof of Weight Loss Surgery Benefits Continues to Grow with Breathing Study, says Beverly Hills Physicians - Benzinga - February 19th, 2020
- This SAS workout will make your body and mind stronger - T3 - February 19th, 2020
- DNA tests may soon reveal the optimal diet for your body down to the variety of lettuce you should be eating - MarketWatch - February 19th, 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. back to basics on the football field, drops weight for return - WBN - World Boxing News - February 19th, 2020
- Rakul Preet Singh refuses to put on weight for role: Wont do anything that harms my health - Hindustan Times - February 19th, 2020
- Westmeath mother of seven shares secret to incredible 9st weight loss - RSVP Live - February 19th, 2020
- Dr. Mitch Shulman: Heart disease in women not the same as in men - The Suburban Newspaper - February 19th, 2020
- Worried about your ageing parents? Here are 8 health signs to look out for - The Star Online - February 19th, 2020
- Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Health | gmtoday.com - Greater Milwaukee Today - February 19th, 2020
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020