In an ideal world, it would be easy to lose weight. You'd try a new eating plan, go for a run, and that'd be that. While reality is slightly more complicated, running is still an effective way to lose weight, though how fast you shed those pounds depends on a number of factors.
Weight loss is a matter of simple math. You need to be in a calorie deficit, or consume fewer calories than you burn, in order to see results. The number of calories you burn in a day - also called total energy expenditure - is made up of resting energy expenditure (the calories needed for basic body functions), energy used during digestion, and energy used during physical activity. Running can help increase the calories burned part of the equation, inching you closer to the roughly 3,500-calorie deficit you'd need to create in order to lose one pound of fat. (The rate at which that happens will vary, but it's generally considered safe to lose one to two pounds per week.)
Unfortunately, there's no linear relationship between running and weight loss, because energy expenditure is based on a number of individual factors like age, sex, genetics, activity level, and more. But that doesn't mean running isn't effective for those looking to drop a few pounds. Here's why it's a great workout and how you can optimize your runs to get results.
The best type of workouts are ones you like and that you can stick to on a regular basis. Running is one exercise that requires very little equipment or money to get started. At a minimum, you need a good pair of running shoes, a stretch of road, and a little motivation. But that's just one reason it can be helpful in shifting the number on the scale.
"Pound for pound, running is one of the most efficient forms of exercise that exists," Nate Helming, cofounder of the training community The Run Experience and strength coach for the exercise tracking app Strava, told POPSUGAR. "Unlike, say, cycling where you only have to push on the pedals and can coast easily on downhills, in running, there are zero breaks - uphill, downhill, flats. That's because you not only have to produce positive forces to launch yourself up and off the ground but produce negative forces that catch and support you with every footfall and landing."
John Thornhill, an ACE-certified personal trainer and master trainer at fitness brand Aaptiv, added that "running is an excellent addition to your overall fitness routine because it strengthens your cardiovascular system, and depending on your intensity, running expands both your aerobic and anaerobic capacity."
That said, no matter how many miles you run, if you proceed to refuel afterward with several pumpkin spice doughnuts, you're not likely to reap the benefits. You've probably heard the saying, "You can't outrun a bad diet." It's important to consider both what you eat and how you move when you're trying to lose weight.
Related: Always Wanted to Be a Runner? This 4-Week Training Plan Will Help Build Your Endurance
4-Week Running Plan For Beginners
Because everyone's body is different, we expend energy differently. "Calorie burn is dependent upon each individual's intensity, age, and general health. On average, for every 10 minutes of running, you can burn anywhere from 80 to 110 calories," Thornhill told POPSUGAR.
Here's some additional good news: being a beginner may actually help you burn more calories. "The newer you are to something, the less mechanically efficient you are at it, meaning the more you'll be working to run that mile," Helming said.
If you're new to running, you're not likely to get off the couch and immediately run a 5K. For beginners, Thornhill suggests trying a walk-to-run program to build consistency before you increase the intensity and duration of your runs. (Aaptiv has several audio-based walking, walk-to-run, and race-training programs for all levels.)
As for the frequency of your workouts, "depending on your experience level, running three to four days a week is optimal with recovery days in between," Thornhill explained. "As your running time increases, be sure that you are foam rolling, stretching, recovering, and hydrating adequately."
Related: When I First Started Running, I Couldn't Make It a Block- Now I Run Half-Marathons
How I Worked Up to Running Half-Marathons
We're an on-demand generation, used to getting everything immediately or with a push of a button, but remember that healthy, sustainable weight loss is a long game. You'll need to listen to your body and not push it beyond its limits.
"Many people start running because they want to get fit. But often, they aren't fit enough to run without injury or burnout. And there's nothing more discouraging than starting a program only to drop out a few weeks in," Helming said. "The key to any fitness and weight loss goal lies not in any individual exercise or session. It lies in your ability to keep showing up, day after day, week after week, and banking a whole heap of them. It's about building a new lifestyle around healthy habits. But none of this can be built effectively if your Achilles feels like it's going to snap off after every run."
To maximize your runs for weight loss, you'll need to work to prevent injury and mix things up as much as possible to keep your body from going into autopilot. Here are some ways to do just that:
While running can be a great addition to help along your weight-loss journey, remember that it's not a magic bullet. "In my experience, the ticket to long-lasting weight loss and health is centered around building a lifestyle that includes varied physical exercise that both feels good on the body and that you look forward to doing on a regular basis," Helming said, adding that the exercises you do should vary in difficulty.
"Different movements and modes should be explored, but running is a great pillar to center your efforts around. And you should keep doing it each and every week," he said. "While initially, it will require some serious willpower to get started, it can and will become easy and automatic! Complement this approach with good sleep, regular hydration, and fresh, healthy, local food with ingredients your grandmother would recognize, and you'll be well on your way."
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Eating right and playing well The Island - The Island.lk - September 29th, 2020
- Prebiotics 101: Discover Why Prebiotic Fiber Is The Most Important Thing Missing From Your Diet - CBS Houston - September 29th, 2020
- Amsterdam and Helsinki launch algorithm registries to bring transparency to public deployments of AI - Best gaming pro - September 29th, 2020
- How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet? - MedicineNet - September 23rd, 2020
- James Cracknell is running for five days without food to prove we don't need carbs - is he right? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Opinion | Going against the grain: Debunking celiac disease misconceptions - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blue Origin gets ready to test its suborbital spaceship with COVID-19 safety in mind - GeekWire - September 23rd, 2020
- What We Miss Most About Going to the Movies - Collider.com - September 23rd, 2020
- The Best Fish Scalers to Clean Your Catch - Robb Report - September 22nd, 2020
- Heart Failure in Primary Care: Do's and Don't's - Medscape - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Gaston Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- Why can't I go into my child's school, what is happening with SQA Exams? North-east council release FAQ guide to help parents - Aberdeen Evening... - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to increase cancer mortality The Cancer Letter - The Cancer Letter - September 22nd, 2020
- How to be second wave savvy and what not to repeat from the first lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Boonville Daily News - September 18th, 2020
- The 7 Health Benefits of Eating More Tofu, and How to Enjoy It - The Beet - September 18th, 2020
- Is VR the Future of Corporate Training? - Harvard Business Review - September 18th, 2020
- City seeking input on safety improvements to Linn Street in West End - WCPO - September 18th, 2020
- What is a 'reverse diet' and can it help you to maintain your goal weight? - Health24 - September 8th, 2020
- How to Use Public Transit Safely During the Pandemic - One Green Planet - September 8th, 2020
- Brits ignore PMs diet plea as spending on takeaways surges - City A.M. - September 8th, 2020
- Healthy success for Pocklington-based slimming consultant - Pocklington Post - September 8th, 2020
- Tips on how to stay safe and not spread COVID-19 on this Labor Day Weekend - Berkeleyside - September 8th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper cut open a 'bubble wrap' growth the size of a grapefruit on a patient's back - Business Insider India - September 6th, 2020
- Vancouver teacher praises benefits of taking kids outside of classroom to learn - CBC.ca - September 6th, 2020
- From a bald budgie to a fat goldfish your pet queries answered - The Sun - September 6th, 2020
- 'Gross cruelty' towards the consignment of sheep and cattle headed for the Middle East - IOL - September 6th, 2020
- How Much Weight Loss Can You Achieve In Three Months? - Women's Health - September 5th, 2020
- These simulations show how face shields and valved masks allow clouds of respiratory droplets to escape - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- My ex just admitted he avoided sex because he has erectile dysfunction. Was I wrong to end things over our lac - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- Anxious with anticipation? | News, Sports, Jobs - The Sentinel - Lewistown Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Vegetarians suffer from iron deficiency anaemia and other myths about the micronutrient deficiency busted - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- Understanding the hidden risks of recreational marijuana - Houston Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Debunking the soy-estrogen problem and other soy myths - ZME Science - September 4th, 2020
- The Foods 5 Famous Chefs Never Leave the Grocery Store Without - Yahoo! Voices - September 4th, 2020
- The 8 Best Diet Plans Sustainability, Weight Loss, and More - September 1st, 2020
- Column: Be smart and safe when trying to lose weight during coronavirus pandemic - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - September 1st, 2020
- Severe Weather Warning Issued For Melbourne On Wednesday - KIIS1011 - September 1st, 2020