A waitress shed 125lbs after her grandfather begged her to lose weight on his deathbed.
Jessica Reid, 25, was tipping the scales at a staggering 284lbs - 20st, 2lbs - when she heard her granddad Robert Crosss dying wish.
The veteran, who passed away at 95, urged his granddaughter to drop the weight and get in shape.
The waitress said: His dying wish was for me to get in shape and to be in good health.
He never bought up my weight before because he knew I was so sensitive about it and he thought I was beautiful anyway.
But on his deathbed, he said: Jessie, I want you to take care of your health and get in shape.
After he told me that, I decided it was time to take care of myself.
He wanted me to have a better life so my feelings werent hurt.
Jessica, who is 5ft11in, lost the 8st, 9lbs weight in just over a year and now weighs a healthy 160lbs [11st, 4lbs].
She used to struggle into size 18 [UK size 22] clothing but now she fits into a petite size six [UK size 10].
I have been heavy my whole life, Jessica said.
Everything revolved around food, we were eating out constantly.
I grew up on Shirley Temples [a sugary drink] and chicken fingers.
Food became my outlet.
The waitress suffered bullying at school on account of her large size.
She said: Facebook pages were made about me, people would hack into my social media account and say nasty things.
It was mostly about my weight.
I was bullied for being heavier.
I was never popular in high school or middle school.
They could call me a cow and tell me to lose weight.
I didnt want to step on the scales because I knew I weighed over 200 pounds.
Jessicas weight struggle became even worse when she turned 21 and started drinking sugary, calorie-laden cocktails.
She blamed downing Bahama Mamas - made of coconut rum, syrup and fruit juices - for piling on even more pounds.
She said: I put on more weight when I started drinking.
Every night after drinking, I would get Jack In The Box tacos or chicken wings.
I was constantly eating carbs and fried food.
Jessica tried to diet but she admitted that she was never able to stick to a healthy eating plan.
She said: I tried so many times.
My half brother is really into healthy eating and he tried to help me.
But I could never stay on track.
Food was an addiction for me.
It was how I coped with my emotions and boredom.
If I was bored, I would eat.
I had been doing it ever since I was a child.
But in May 2016, Jessicas grandfather Robert passed away after having a pacemaker fitted.
On his deathbed in a hospice, he begged her to lose weight and she finally started to face up to her food issues.
She said: It still took me a couple of months after he passed away to realize that I needed to change my life completely.
It wasnt until about August that I started to change my eating habits.
I went to the grocery store and bought lots of vegetables.
I slowly weaned myself off the bad things, I threw out all the garbage and I replaced it with fresh fruit and vegetables.
In August, Jessica swapped her daily diet of McDonalds, bags of chips and takeout pizza for healthy foods like salmon, vegetables and protein bars as snacks.
She also cut back on alcohol and only drank on special occasions.
As soon as she lost her first 10 pounds, she enrolled at a bootcamp in Yuma, Arizona, where she was living at the time.
She said: It was a six-week bootcamp and it was for an hour three times a week.
It was mostly cardio and full body workout like sit ups, kettlebell swings and push-ups.
I lost about 17 pounds and a total of seven inches around my waist.
She discovered Crossfit, a fitness program involving squats, weightlifting, gymnastics and running.
For my first month of Crossfit, I hated it.
But I knew I had to keep pushing myself.
She admitted that she struggled when her weight loss slowed down and hit a plateau.
I lost 90 pounds and I was waiting to hit the 100 pound mark and it took so long.
It took a month and a half to lose that 10 pounds.
My friends told me that I had to keep going and that I would get there.
On November 2017, just after Thanksgiving, Jessica hit her target weight of 160 pounds.
It was amazing," she said.
It was a whole lifestyle change, it wasnt a diet.
This is how I live every day now.
I dont even weigh myself anymore, I know Im fit and I eat healthy so Im not worried anymore.
She added that friends dont even recognize her following the incredible transformation.
People dont recognize me all the time," she said.
In October 2017, I went to Florida to visit some friends and they said they didnt even realize it was me.
Ill post transformation pictures on my social media and my new friends cant believe I was ever that big.
Clothes shopping is so much easier now.
Since losing the weight, Jessica has noticed she has loose skin but she is happy to show it off.
She said: "I have some loose skin and it doesn't bug me.
"I flaunt it.
"I wear crop tops and bikinis, I don't care."
She works out three to four times a week and eats healthily almost all the time - but she does allow herself one cheat meal per week.
Usually I indulge on a Sunday and Ill eat chicken wings or whatever else I feel like.
But the best part of her weight loss has been the change in her mindset.
She said: Im a whole new person now.
I had no confidence before, I was always really depressed.
Now Im very positive.
I wake up every morning thinking I want to be a better person than I was yesterday.
"I feel like my granddad pointed me in the right direction and he is with me all the time."
Continue reading here:
Waitress loses 125lbs to fulfil her grandfather's dying wish - Somerset Live
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020
- 22 Ways to Lose Weight Without Breaking a Sweat - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Woodlands business owner aims to teach proper dieting for weight loss - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2020
- What 10 Obesity Experts Wish You Knew About Weight Loss - Prevention.com - January 15th, 2020
- Truth About Kate Middleton Starving Herself, Losing Weight While Trying To Get Pregnant - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online - January 15th, 2020
- How To Lose Belly Fat: Avoid One Drink Regarded By Many As Healthy - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- Mum thought diet was making her lose weight - but it was breast cancer - Derbyshire Live - January 15th, 2020
- Is it your New Year's Resolution to lose weight, and lead a healthier lifestyle? - Leyton Orient FC - January 15th, 2020
- What is the DASH Diet? Guidelines for Losing Weight on the DASH Diet - Parade - January 15th, 2020
- Best breakfast for easy weight loss - eat this protein-fuelled food to lose weight fast - Express - January 15th, 2020
- How to lose weight in 6 months, according to this guy who lost 30 kgs by following this healthy plan - GQ India - January 15th, 2020
- Len Romes Local Health: Are you keeping to your resolution? - WYTV - January 15th, 2020
- 'I Counted Calories And Stuck To The 80-20 Rule To Lose WeightAnd I've Lost Over 150 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 4th, 2020
- Healthy Actions: Lets start the new year off on the right exercise foot - Akron Beacon Journal - January 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: What is the best way to slim down? Expert reveals top tips - Express - January 4th, 2020
- Blown your resolutions already? Tips for getting what you really want. - Seattle Times - January 4th, 2020
- Simon Cowell delighted with appearance following 20lbs weight loss - ABC FOX Montana - January 4th, 2020
- Tennis ace Jelena Dokic shows off incredible weight loss transformation after losing 53kg in 18 months - New Idea - January 4th, 2020
- How Keto and Walking Helped This Guy Lose Nearly 90 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Could this be the last diet you'll ever need to do? - The Times - January 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Matcha Tea to Lose Weight - LatestLY - January 4th, 2020
- Full cream milk vs toned milk: Which one is better? - Times of India - January 4th, 2020
- How to lose weight and get fit in 2020: 20 easy tips, diet hacks and workout routines to help you get started - GQ India - January 4th, 2020
- Four stone weight loss has changed the life of Tipperary woman Paula - TipperaryLive.ie - January 4th, 2020
- 'Inspirational' mum transforms her life after long battle to lose weight and quit smoking - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - January 4th, 2020
- The New Year's Resolution that usually fails within the first month - Jacaranda FM - January 4th, 2020
- Why dieting can lead to loneliness - From the Grapevine - January 4th, 2020
- The Smart Equestrian's List to Brightening the Winter Blues - TheHorse.com - January 4th, 2020
- Getting fit, losing weight now easier at the Family Y - The Augusta Chronicle - January 2nd, 2020
- Man who lost 200lbs gives tips on losing weight, keeping it off - WISN Milwaukee - January 2nd, 2020
- Tipperary group celebrate year of great weight loss with Chatty Man Alan Carr - TipperaryLive.ie - January 2nd, 2020
- Best cars for achieving your New Years resolutions - Boston Herald - January 2nd, 2020
- Tyler Whitman From 'Million Dollar Listing' Reveals the One Big Weight Loss Move to Make for 2020 - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 2nd, 2020
- 5 reasons why you should try running and the best running gear you'll need - T3 - January 2nd, 2020
- NY's resolution to lose weight; study finds fasting could add years to life - KFI AM 640 - January 2nd, 2020
- Mark Labbett weight loss: The Beast drops three stone by cutting out one thing from diet - Express - January 2nd, 2020
- If You're Trying to Lose Weight, Should You Try Whole30? Here's What Registered Dietitians Say - POPSUGAR - January 2nd, 2020
- 'I thought I'd be in a wheelchair forever' - how weight loss has transformed this Blackpool mum's life - Blackpool Gazette - January 2nd, 2020