If youre in menopause or perimenopause, youre probably no stranger to a hot flash.
Sometimes lightly referred to as power surges, hot flashes send a rush of heat through your upper body.
If theyre especially strong, hot flashes can cause red blotches on your skin, a racing heart, and sudden, drenching sweats. And for many people, hot flashes are accompanied perhaps even caused by anxiety.
A hot flash is a sudden feeling of intense heat that isnt caused by something external.
Were not exactly sure why a hot flash starts.
It may be that changing estrogen levels disrupt your bodys thermoregulation (ability to warm up or cool down). As a result, the blood vessels near your skin open up and your skin temperature suddenly rises (though your core temperature doesnt).
After the flush, sweat evaporates from your skin, delivering a welcome cooling sensation. The swift change can literally leave you feeling dizzy.
Yes and yes.
The relationship between anxiety and hot flashes may be a chicken and egg situation.
In one older study, researchers followed 436 premenopausal women for 6 years and found that anxiety was not only a symptom of hot flashes, but that people with anxiety were 3 to 5 times more likely to have hot flashes.
When researchers returned to that same cohort in 2016 to analyze their symptoms at the 14-year mark, they were able to confirm the strong relationship between anxiety and hot flashes.
In the 2016 study, researchers distinguished between affective anxiety (emotional worry) and somatic anxiety (anxiety with physical symptoms such as stomach upset, headache, fast heart rate, and dizziness).
People whose anxiety was emotional didnt have a greater risk of hot flashes. But having physical anxiety symptoms was a strong indication that hot flashes would happen throughout menopause.
Researchers in a 2008 study suggest theres a connection between childhood abuse or neglect and the tendency to have hot flashes during menopause. They concluded that the effects of child abuse persisted well into midlife.
A number of other conditions and behaviors can increase the likelihood that youll experience hot flashes.
Heres what we know:
Menopause is often described as a roller coaster ride. Your anxiety levels can peak and plunge as your bodys hormone production fluctuates.
While you may not be able to do much about the up-and-down hormones, you can certainly take advantage of proven anxiety-reducing strategies.
Here are some options to consider:
When hot flashes become night sweats, and anxious thoughts lead to insomnia, sleep may be delayed or interrupted.
The relationship between sleep disturbance, anxiety, and menopause is well-researched.
Talk with a healthcare professional about ways to make sure you get the recommended amount of rest every night.
Theres no such thing as outrunning menopause. However, a growing body of evidence does suggest that physical movement both prevents and treats anxiety.
Both cardio (aerobic exercise) and strength training are recommended during menopause not only because they reduce anxiety, but because they can keep you from losing bone strength and gaining extra weight as your body changes.
Menopause can raise a number of thorny issues changes to your body image, sex life, and identity; dealing with the shift in fertility; and reacting to the societal expectations around menopause.
And those are just a few things that can arise.
People in many cultures feel additional anxiety about discussing symptoms openly.
You may find it helpful to talk about your symptoms and any other menopause-related issues with an online or in-person therapist. Cognitive behavioral therapy has been found to be especially effective for treating anxiety.
If one-on-one therapy doesnt appeal to you, you might see whether theres a support group devoted to menopause or anxiety issues nearby.
If looking back on the hormonal upheaval of your teenage years fills you with compassion, lavish lots of care upon yourself now.
Eat rainbows of healthy vegetables and muscle-building protein which are vital as you get older.
Take time and space to create things. Numerous studies have shown that art, music, drama, and dance help people prevent and manage stress.
And consider taking a mindfulness course. In a 2012 study involving 110 women in menopause, those who learned to notice the sensations in each part of their bodies, to meditate, and to perform gentle stretching exercises were bothered less by hot flashes than those who did not.
If your hot flashes are barely noticeable, you may decide to accept them as unpleasant but natural.
If, on the other hand, hot flashes are keeping you up at night, causing you severe anxiety, or otherwise interfering with your work or home life, there are a range of treatment options for you to consider.
Hormone replacement is sometimes recommended as a way of reducing symptoms of menopause.
Hormone therapy balances the levels of estrogen and progesterone in your body. Theyre often prescribed at low doses for short periods to avoid causing other health problems.
Its important to understand that hormone replacement therapy has risks. People who take estrogen and progesterone during or after menopause may have a higher risk of certain kinds of cancer, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and dementia.
There is some evidence, though, that early use of hormone therapy (within the first 10 years after menopause) can be beneficial and may not present as many health risks as researchers once thought.
Specific combinations of hormones can also lower the risks associated with hormone therapy.
If youre thinking about hormone replacement to reduce your anxiety or hot flashes, talk with your healthcare provider about your medical history to decide whether its appropriate for you.
If hormone replacement therapy isnt the right choice for you, your healthcare provider might prescribe one of these medications to relieve your menopause symptoms:
Zumba is your friend. Or several brisk laps in the pool, if cool water sounds better.
When researchers in one study tracked hot flashes among menopausal women participating in a 16-week cardio fitness regimen, they found that those who exercised experienced fewer hot flashes as a result.
This may be because the brisk exercise improved circulation and boosted the bodys ability to regulate its temperature.
Although solid research on the effectiveness of natural remedies for menopause symptoms is limited, theres some evidence that black cohosh and evening primrose oil may help reduce the severity of hot flashes.
Some researchers have found acupuncture is an effective hot flash treatment, but the evidence is conflicting on whether or not it helps.
Before you try any natural remedy, its a good idea to talk with a doctor or healthcare provider to see if it will have an interaction with any other medication youre taking.
Managing hot flashes may be a little easier if you change some of the habits that seem to strengthen or trigger them.
You may want to try:
Hot flashes and anxiety are both common symptoms of menopause. When you have a hot flash, you may feel anxious and when youre anxious about something, you may suddenly experience a hot flash.
There are a number of medical treatments, including hormone therapy, that can reduce hot flashes and anxiety.
There are also nonmedical alternatives that may reduce anxiety and hot flashes, including lifestyle changes, natural remedies, and talk therapy.
While hormone therapy may be the most effective treatment, there are significant risks to weigh.
Menopause, anxiety, and hot flashes are all connected, so it may take a multifaceted treatment approach to resolve symptoms and ease your transition.
- MOE says 'not true' that it interfered with transgender student's hormone therapy - CNA - January 20th, 2021
- Oral contraceptives and breast cancer - Deccan Herald - January 20th, 2021
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Growth Trajectories in US, Europe and Asia-Pacific - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 20th, 2021
- How This Director Gets Her Skin So Good - The Cut - January 20th, 2021
- Global COVID-19 Diagnostics Market Size Worth USD 11.40 Billion at 7.9% CAGR; Pharmaceutical Giants Such as Abbott and Roche to Pump More Funds for... - January 20th, 2021
- Buddy to Buddy: The state of breast cancer in 2021 - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - January 20th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Industry Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Trends, and Forecast 2027:Abbott Laboratories, Wyeth, Amgen, Novartis,... - January 20th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Trend Shows a Rapid Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2027: F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Merck... - January 20th, 2021
- Coping with cervical cancer treatment - Jamaica Observer - January 20th, 2021
- Surviving while Trans: Hijras and Others Face Life Threatening Covid Problems - The Citizen - January 20th, 2021
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy market Sales, Revenue and Market Share by Countries 2020 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026| RevitaLife, US... - January 20th, 2021
- Who is Zoey Tur? How was she involved in covering the Night Stalker case? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 20th, 2021
- Smart ways of identifying stroke and treating it at the earliest: All you need to know from the expert - India Today - January 20th, 2021
- My Turn: The benefits of estrogen replacement after menopause - Concord Monitor - December 23rd, 2020
- Hearing loss, hormone therapy and menopause - Healthy Hearing - December 23rd, 2020
- Adrenal insufficiency: Definition, symptoms, and treatments - Medical News Today - December 23rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Report to Examine Manufacturing Cost Analysis, Growth, Distributors and Forecast to 2026 - Factory... - December 23rd, 2020
- 2025 Projections: Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report by Type, Application and Regional Outlook - AlgosOnline - December 23rd, 2020
- Hyperpigmentation Around Mouth: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention - Healthline - December 23rd, 2020
- Brain fog is real - Here are 5 things that could help you to lift it - Stuff.co.nz - December 23rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Business Strategies Pfizer, BioSante Pharmaceuticals and Amgen - The Monitor - December 23rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Dynamics, Segments, Size and Demand, 2017 to 2026 - The Monitor - December 23rd, 2020
- UK Ruling Protects Kids From Life-Altering Hormone Replacement Therapy - Daily Signal - December 8th, 2020
- Recent Fact.MR Research: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market, says Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - December 8th, 2020
- 2020 Current trends in Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Share, Industry Trends, Growth Insight, Share, Competitive Analysis, Statistics,... - December 8th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Mithra... - December 8th, 2020
- MedArrive launches with $4.5M seed funding, Insuretech company Centivo scores $34M and other digital health funding news - Mobihealth News - December 8th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players and Forecast 2026 -... - December 8th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Continues to Expand to Support Development and Top Players: Novartis AG, Abbott Laboratories, Mylan NV,... - December 8th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Value with Status, Trends, Top Companies and Global Analysis 2020 to 2026 - Factory Maintenance - December 8th, 2020
- Thoughtless NHS practitioners are putting the lives of children already taking puberty blockers at risk - The Independent - December 8th, 2020
- Feeling Less Sensation in Your Vulva or Vagina? 21 Causes, What to Do - Healthline - December 8th, 2020
- Latest Developments and Key Strategies of Players of Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - TechnoWeekly - November 24th, 2020
- Gay flag football family helped save this trans athletes life - Outsports - November 24th, 2020
- The Compounding Pharmacies Market To Move Away From Stagnation, Reach US$ 13366.5 Million - TechnoWeekly - November 24th, 2020
- The Compounding Pharmacies Market To Rescind With A CAGR Of 7.5% - KYT24 - November 24th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Positive Growth owing to Outbreak of COVID-19, Projects Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - November 6th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Will Experience A Noticeable Growth During The Forecast Period 2019-2026||ALLERGAN, Novo... - November 6th, 2020
- Research report covers the South & North America Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share and Growth, 2020-2025 - Zenit News - November 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Growth Opportunities, Revenue, Industry Analysis and Forecasts 2026 - TechnoWeekly - November 6th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Recent Trends, Development, Growth and Forecast 2020-2027 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- Unraveling the mystery and symptoms of menopause - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - November 6th, 2020
- The Prostate Cancer Hormone Replacement market to be in conjunction to growth from 2019 to 2029 - KYT24 - November 6th, 2020
- The importance of knowing your skin type | Sponsored - Bend Bulletin - November 6th, 2020
- The Compounding Pharmacies Market To Hit The 20/20 Vision With A CAGR Of 7.5% - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to croon growth from 2020 to 2030 KYT24 - KYT24 - November 6th, 2020
- Topical Dispenser Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights... - November 6th, 2020
- 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce risk of breast cancer - The Sentinel-Echo - October 31st, 2020
- Slow and Even Reverse Skin Aging with Proper Skin Hygiene - Pamplin Media Group - October 31st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy and menopause | | tctimes.com - Fenton Tri County Times - October 31st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Share, Statistics, Demand and Revenue, Forecast 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis On Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Based On Types And Application - Aerospace Journal - October 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status And Application Forecast To 2027 - TechnoWeekly - October 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Future Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 30th, 2020
- Study Updates Risks for Breast Cancer Associated With HRT - HealthDay - October 30th, 2020
- 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce risk of breast cancer - Times Tribune of Corbin - October 30th, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to witness explicit growth from 2019 and 2029 - PRnews Leader - October 30th, 2020
- Why author Val McDermid recommends drinking pale ale to help with menopause symptoms - Press and Journal - October 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Archives - Stock Market Vista - October 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2018 to 2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Driven by Rising Incidences of Hormonal Imbalance Disorders - PRnews Leader - October 28th, 2020
- Japan Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2019-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Menopause: How to cope with it? - The Yucatan Times - October 28th, 2020
- New virtual clinic aims to provide accessible, inclusive health care to LGBTQIA+ North Carolinians - Yes! Weekly - October 28th, 2020
- Project Home: BIPOC Trans Artists At Odds With Non-Profit Over Future Of SFs Red Victorian Hotel - CBS San Francisco - October 28th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Crisis on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand and Consumption Growth, Predicts Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 25th, 2020
- Thoughts of Breast Health in Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Yahoo Singapore News - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Determined By Manufacturing Summary, Business Profile And Estimate To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market anticipates revenue will hit up to XX% CAGR by 2026: Segmentation by Revenue, Gross margin, Industrial Analysis,... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market By Manufacturers, Development Strategy, Upcoming Trends and Huge Growth By 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hammerling-Hodgers: Don't delay if you have any signs of breast cancer - Florida Today - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Dr. Zainab Mogul-Ashraf (Dr. Z) of Hebe Medical Spa - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global Analysis By Application, End-User, Market Share, Demand, Supply, Technological Trends And Forecast Till... - October 21st, 2020