Some 66 per cent of men in Ireland are overweight or obese, according to a new report from the Department of Health.
This figure is down slightly from 70 per cent reported two years ago.
The statistics were compiled from a survey undertaken by the Department of Health which show the situation is worse for older men, who are more likely to be overweight or obese.
A representative sample of 7,413 people aged 15 and older living in Ireland were interviewed between September 2018 and September 2019 for the research.
The results show only 34 per cent of men aged between 25 and 34 have a normal weight, compared to 47 per cent of women.
Overall just over a third of Irish adults, some 37 per cent are of normal weight, in 2019, the survey said. Half of those surveyed were achieving the recommended level of physical activity.
This years survey included sleep and sun protection as new areas of study.
Survey participants reported getting, on average, 7.1 hours sleep on an average weeknight. The new data on sun protection shows that 92 per cent of participants reported using some form of protection when exposed to the sun for more than 30 minutes, with sunscreen and sunglasses being the most commonly used forms of protection.
According to Minister of State with Responsibility for Health Promotion Catherine Byrne the levels of overweight and obesity in the general population remains a great cause for concern.
There is no room for complacency she said. In recent years Government has introduced evidence-based policies and a range of initiatives and actions to tackle both obesity and physical inactivity, and implementation of these remains a priority. This years survey shows a small increase in the number of people meeting the guidelines on physical activity, which is encouraging, she said.
The Healthy Ireland Survey adds to the data collected in the previous surveys published from 2015 - 2017 provided researchers with an up-to-date picture of the health of the nation and reports on many lifestyle behaviours.
- No link between caesarean delivery and obesity, research finds - The Guardian - December 6th, 2019
- Limited Eating Times Could Be a New Way to Fight Obesity and Diabetes - EcoWatch - December 6th, 2019
- Harvard Scientists Develop Method to Limit Fat Absorption as Treatment for Obesity | News - Harvard Crimson - December 6th, 2019
- Water retention can make you look fat: Know how to get rid of obesity caused by oedema - TheHealthSite - December 6th, 2019
- Obesity Can Reduce Effectiveness of Heart Drugs - Newsmax - December 5th, 2019
- Director of public health highlights north-east's obesity problem - Press and Journal - December 5th, 2019
- Study explores relationship between obesity and gum disease - Yahoo India News - December 5th, 2019
- Promote Healthy Growth and Prevent Obesity in Children - UAPB News - December 5th, 2019
- The true costs of obesity - Medical Economics - December 4th, 2019
- MRI Reveals Brain Damage Linked With Obesity in Teens - MedPage Today - December 4th, 2019
- New study explores the effect of obesity on non-surgical periodontal care - News-Medical.net - December 4th, 2019
- Study shows obese, overweight have tougher time fighting the flu - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - December 4th, 2019
- Why scientists are studying hibernation to tackle obesity - Medical News Today - December 4th, 2019
- Project CommUNITY: Childhood obesity and its impact on Oklahoma children - KOCO Oklahoma City - December 4th, 2019
- Teen obesity may damage parts of the brain that regulates appetite, emotion - Radiology Business - December 4th, 2019
- Obesity: In The Absence Of Healthy Foods, This New Therapy Found By Scientists Could Help Manage Obesity - NDTV Food - December 4th, 2019
- Healthy Living: Great Ways to Fight Childhood Obesity - 9&10 News - December 4th, 2019
- New review assesses patients' perspectives of clinical consultations related to weight - News-Medical.net - December 4th, 2019
- Australia's favourite giraffe, Harold, will help to tackle preschool obesity on the Gold Coast - The Sector - December 4th, 2019
- The Heavy Truth About Fat Shaming And Obesity - GirlTalkHQ - December 4th, 2019
- Decline in early childhood obesity in WIC families - StMaryNow.com - December 4th, 2019
- Telling parents of young children they're overweight, obese bad for their health - Stuff.co.nz - December 4th, 2019
- Is obesity an addiction? Ross Walker investigates - Starts at 60 - December 4th, 2019
- Better late than never? New Zealand government finally responds to industry's anti-obesity plan - FoodNavigator-Asia.com - December 4th, 2019
- Obesity is an epidemic Why haven't we responded accordingly? | TheHill - The Hill - December 1st, 2019
- Antiarrhythmic Drug Response My Be Affected by Obesity: Study - DocWire News - December 1st, 2019
- Inflammation triggered by obesity may cause brain damage - SlashGear - December 1st, 2019
- MRI Scans Reveal What Obesity Does to the Brains of Teens - Newsweek - December 1st, 2019
- Decline in obesity of some young children attributed to improvements in WIC food package - FoodNavigator-USA.com - December 1st, 2019
- Flu Shot Doesn't Work As Well For Obese And Overweight People : Shots - Health News - NPR - December 1st, 2019
- The other ED to worry about Diabetes+obesity=Erectile dysfunction - Yahoo India News - December 1st, 2019
- The Croydon doctor who raps about knife crime, obesity and violence on NHS staff - MyLondon - December 1st, 2019
- Obesity Associated With Worse Working Memory in Women But Not Men - Endocrinology Advisor - December 1st, 2019
- These 8 foods are the biggest cause of childhood obesity - Times of India - December 1st, 2019
- Greece has second highest rate of child obesity in EU | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - December 1st, 2019
- Anti-Obesity Day 2019: What Causes Childhood Obesity? Tips For Parents To Help Their Children Maintain A Healthy Weight - NDTV News - December 1st, 2019
- Marion County participating in program to fight child obesity - WBTW - December 1st, 2019
- Obesity and food standards top election priorities -... - Footprint - December 1st, 2019
- INMB: Potential Link Between Obesity and Neuroinflammation Shown in Mouse Model of Alzheimer's - Zacks Small Cap Research - December 1st, 2019
- News digest Heart health risks, immunotherapy trials, prostate cancer urine test and living with cancer - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - December 1st, 2019
- Rising alarms of childhood obesity in W.Va. - Beckley Register-Herald - November 23rd, 2019
- RA Treatment: Influence of Sex, Drugs, and Obesity - MedPage Today - November 23rd, 2019
- Surprising protein discovery could revert some severe obesity issues - Siliconrepublic.com - November 23rd, 2019
- Emotional toll of obesity - Telegraph India - November 23rd, 2019
- Health bureaucrats hit the road with 'transformative' new plan to tackle obesity - Sydney Morning Herald - November 23rd, 2019
- Two-thirds of men in Ireland are overweight or obese, report finds - The Irish Times - November 23rd, 2019
- LETTER: Should we blame parents for overweight children? - TheChronicleHerald.ca - November 23rd, 2019
- Letters: Innovate to tackle obesity | Letters - The Grocer - November 23rd, 2019
- Lower Childhood Obesity Rates in NJ Linked to Nutrition Program - NJ Spotlight - November 22nd, 2019
- Obese teens' quality of life improves after weight loss surgery - Reuters - November 22nd, 2019
- Recently discovered protein may play key role in obesity and metabolic disease - News-Medical.net - November 22nd, 2019
- Novo Nordisk and UNICEF announce new partnership to help prevent childhood overweight and obesity - UNICEF - November 22nd, 2019
- The Influence of Sex and Pre-operative Obesity on Biomechanics Two Years After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Longitudinal Cohort Study - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2019
- Obesity Risk Linked to Mutations in MRAP2 Gene, Study Says - Genetic Obesity News - November 22nd, 2019
- Summit aims to reduce obesity in Mississippi - WJTV - November 22nd, 2019
- Study of 20-year-olds says obesity more likely among women - The Times - November 22nd, 2019
- New Book Offers Insight into the Lives of the Extremely Obese - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- This protein that appears to play an important role in obesity, metabolic disease - Hindustan Times - November 22nd, 2019
- New studies point to benefits of weight-loss surgery for teens with severe obesity - News-Medical.net - November 20th, 2019
- 'Hyperpalatable' Defined as Foods Driving the Obesity Epidemic - Medscape - November 19th, 2019
- UC-Boulder 'encouraging' obesity with 'weight bias' workshop, conservative group says - Campus Reform - November 19th, 2019
- Free Decatur Event Will Address Being Overweight and Obesity Sat. - Decatur, GA Patch - November 19th, 2019
- Average US BMI on the rise despite increasing weight loss efforts - Medical News Today - November 19th, 2019
- Sleeve Gastrectomy Beneficial at Lower BMI; Call to Lower Threshold - Medscape - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity in Childhood Linked to Reduced Cortical Thickness, Executive Functioning - Psychiatry Advisor - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity-related cancers on the rise in younger Canadians: study - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2019
- Number of people with obesity doubles in 20 years - Open Access Government - November 19th, 2019
- Addressing the unmet needs of people living with obesity - Philippine Star - November 19th, 2019
- The way to tackle the child obesity epidemic? Teach cooking in schools - Telegraph.co.uk - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity And Obstetric Anesthesia: Current Insights | LRA - Dove Medical Press - November 18th, 2019
- 10 Things to Know About... Obesity - Entertainment.ie - November 18th, 2019
- How to Get Started Exercising When You're Living With Obesity - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 18th, 2019
- Here's Where New York Ranks Among Nation's Most Obese States - Daily Voice - November 18th, 2019
- UN spotlights 'explosive' obesity rates, hunger in Latin America and Caribbean - UN News - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity almost doubles in 20 years to affect 13 million people - The Guardian - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity and Bone Fractures in PWS Children Tied to High Blood Levels of Protein, Study Says - Prader-Willi News - November 17th, 2019
- UN calls for urgent action to curb rise in hunger and obesity in Latin America and Caribbean - YubaNet - November 17th, 2019
- Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens Who Cant Lose Weight Any Other Way - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- News digest cancer waiting times, complementary treatments, obesity and a NASA-style training for cancer patients? - Cancer Research UK - Science... - November 17th, 2019
- Holistic, Patient-Centred Approach Needed to Tackle Obesity - Medscape - November 17th, 2019