Diabetes: Living a healthy lifestyle is the most effective way to keep diabetes away. It is important to eat healthy, homemade foods, and maintain a physically active lifestyle by exercising regularly.
Diabetes prevention: Eat more fibre-rich foods to keep diabetes away
Two million more people could be affected with diabetes in the next five years, thanks to the national obesity crisis. The total number of people with pre-diabetes have increase to two million in a year, from an average of 1.3 million. Pre-diabetes is a condition in which one is at the brink of developing type 2 diabetes and must take urgent action to prevent it. These alarming figures were released by National Health Service, England. The NHS began recording cases of pre-diabetes two years ago.
According to the latest figures, 1,969,610 people are suffering from the condition. Around 5.6% of these people are under the age of 40 and 42% are middle-aged, between the ages 40 and 64. According to professor Mike Lean, these numbers represent a "a slippery slope". According to him, the numbers are huge and are only getting higher. These two million are the tip of the iceberg, he said.
Type 2 diabetes is a condition which affects millions of people worldwide. It is essentially characterised by high blood sugar levels. If left uncontrolled, type 2 diabetes can affect your vision, kidneys, heart health and much more. Before one is diagnosed with diabetes, there's a period where blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough to be diagnosed with diabetes. This is a condition known as prediabetes.
Living a healthy lifestyle is the most effective way to keep diabetes away. It is important to eat healthy, homemade foods, and maintain a physically active lifestyle by exercising regularly.
Also read:Diabetes And Coffee: What Is The Effect Of Caffeine On Blood Sugar Levels?
1. You need to refrain from consuming refined sugar in all forms. Also, stay away from refined carbs to prevent diabetes. Both of these result in rapid release of sugar in the bloodstream, putting you at risk of diabetes.
2. Exercising regularly and including strength training in your daily routine can regulate blood sugar levels and reduce risk of developing diabetes. Exercise improves insulin sensitivity of your cells. When you exercise, you need lesser insulin to keep your blood sugar levels under control.
Being regular at exercising is important to keep diabetes awayPhoto Credit: iStock
3. If you are overweight or obese, then you are at risk of diabetes. Weight loss is therefore important for you to prevent diabetes and prediabetes. A healthy diet combined with regular exercise is the most effective and sustainable way to lose weight.
4. Quit smoking as it increases risk of numerous deadly diseases. Smoking and being exposed to second-hand smoke has been linked to development of type 2 diabetes.
Also read:Diabetics, Here Are 5 Dangerous Ways Smoking Is Harming You
5. Take care of your portion sizes to prevent diabetes. It is also an effective way to keep your weight under check. Eating too much food at a time can result in high blood sugar and insulin in people with diabetes.
Also read:Portion Size: Does It Matter?
6. Include more fibre-rich foods as they can prevent sudden spike in blood sugar levels. Fibrous foods like fresh fruits and vegetables can be beneficial for your gut health and weight management.
7. Avoid sedentary lifestyle behaviours like regular consumption of alcohol, sitting at one place for long periods of time, etc. Avoid consuming processed, packaged, junk and deep fried foods as much as possible.
Avoid sedentary lifestyle habits like regular alcohol consumption to keep diabetes awayPhoto Credit: iStock
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
- Weight loss shock: Woman shed 3st and carved toned abs in just eight weeks with this diet - Express - March 30th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy at Home During the Coronavirus Lockdown - EcoWatch - March 30th, 2020
- We can get through this: How to manage your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic - MarketWatch - March 30th, 2020
- Have a headache? The top 7 triggers - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - March 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the cheap breakfast juice to lower your chances of hypertension - Express - March 30th, 2020
- Wellness Tools: Good Food, Exercise, And Gratitude - Outlook India - March 30th, 2020
- Trials find invasive surgery is no better than medication at reducing heart attack risk - News-Medical.Net - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of the L.A. Chargers' Austin Ekeler, Whos Streaming His Workouts Like a Gamer - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Danny Trejo, Who's Banging Out Two-a-Days In Isolation - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- Diet and Exercise: Choices Today for a Healthier Tomorrow - March 27th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy (and Sane) While You Ride Out COVID-19 - Men's Journal - March 27th, 2020
- Get the Facts on Eating for Health And Boosting Your Immune System Naturally - Brownsville Herald - March 27th, 2020
- How essential oils can boost immunity and support health - ABC 4 - March 27th, 2020
- How to stay healthy at home during the coronavirus lockdown - DW (English) - March 27th, 2020
- Make the glass half full - Leadercourier-times.com - March 27th, 2020
- Working from home, Part 3: Managing the challenges of teleworking with kids at home - The Lane Report - March 27th, 2020
- Beating Covid-19: Risk avoidance and better health and diet solution - Bangkok Post - March 27th, 2020
- The secrets of the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- So is the diet with which Adele has lost more than 45 kilos - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- With games on hold, Michigan's health and welfare team takes charge - The Athletic - March 27th, 2020
- 10 Ways to Stick With Your Weight-Loss Goals When Youre Stuck at Home - LIVESTRONG.COM - March 27th, 2020
- My Diet To Beat The Lockdown Blues - Outlook India - March 27th, 2020
- 21-Day Lockdown: 10 Diet And Workout Tips That You Can Follow - NDTV News - March 26th, 2020
- An Exclusive With Dr. Sailaja Reddy on Building Immunity Through Diet and Exercise In Response to Coronavirus - India New England - March 26th, 2020
- Exercising discretion over lockdown rules - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Take It In: Control weight with meal timing, exercise - The Triton - March 26th, 2020
- 10-minute core and abs home workout to keep you fit during this lockdown - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- 8 Health Benefits Of Cherries, According To Nutritionists - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating Tofu And Plant Based Foods Is Associated With Lower Risk Of Heart Disease - Bel Marra Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating tofu linked to a lower risk of heart disease, says study - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- Is takeout safe right now? Should we do laundry daily? Sherrill and experts field pandemic questions in telephone town hall - Morristown Green - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood? Analyze the diet with the that Adele she lost 45 pounds - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- High Blood Pressure: Here's How Walking Can Help You Fight Hypertension; Other Tips To Lower Blood Pressure Numbers - Doctor NDTV - March 26th, 2020
- Many Young Athletes With Exercise-Induced Laryngeal Obstruction Are Misdiagnosed - Bicycling - March 26th, 2020
- 'My heartthrob days are over': Joe Wicks on health, happiness and training the nation - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Maintaining Your Wellbeing During Times of Stress - News Of The Area - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood; the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Understanding acute and chronic inflammation - Harvard Health - March 21st, 2020
- How to Workout and Train Effectively on a Vegan or Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- 5 Most Common Reasons People Give Up On Their Diet - Taste Terminal - March 21st, 2020
- Food: Seven reasons you're not losing weight - HeraldScotland - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Stuck at home? Heres what mental health experts say you should do to take care of your emotiona - MassLive.com - March 21st, 2020
- 'Wake up, millennials: Now is the time to prioritize your mental health,' therapist says of coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 21st, 2020
- Ring the Alarm: COVID-19 Presents Grave Danger to Communities of Color - Colorlines - March 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: Fitness experts offer advice for fighting off the Quarantine 15 - Peace River Record Gazette - March 21st, 2020
- Keeping the heart healthy - sidneydailynews.com - March 21st, 2020
- How to boost your immune system and fight the coronavirus - Christian Post - March 21st, 2020
- High blood pressure: This simple exercise has been linked to lower blood pressure - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Immunity boosters to make you #CoronaSafe - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Build your immunity and take some control with tips from wellness experts - Buffalo News - March 21st, 2020
- Working Out on Keto: All You Need to Know - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Foods that beat fatigue: What to eat and other diet tips - Medical News Today - March 19th, 2020
- Exercise at Home to Avoid the Gym During COVID-19 Outbreak - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Treating Schizophrenia with Individualized Care - TippNews DAILY - March 19th, 2020
- Participants named in Go Red for Women heart-health makeover - Rome Sentinel - March 19th, 2020
- Health and Beauty News: Practice these diet tips to save your waistline during self isolation - Euro Weekly News - March 19th, 2020
- The most effective method to get thinner and get fit in 2020: 20 simple tips, diet hacks and exercise schedules to assist you with beginning - Globe... - March 19th, 2020
- 12 Burning Questions About Intermittent Fasting, Answered - Everyday Health - March 19th, 2020
- How Exercise Reduces Cabin Fever (Plus Home Workouts to Get Started) - BarBend - March 19th, 2020
- Nutrition For Women: Should It Be Different? - iAfrica.com - March 19th, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar: How much of the tonic should you drink to burn fat fast? - Express - March 19th, 2020
- Increase in cases of colorectal cancer in young adults - Medical News Bulletin - March 19th, 2020
- Ways To Boost Your Immunity On A Plant-Based Diet - Plant Based News - March 19th, 2020
- How to lose water weight and lead a healthier lifestyle - Business Insider Australia - March 19th, 2020
- Work From Home Tips: Beat The Laziness With These Tips To Stick To Your Health Routine By Nmami Agarwal - Doctor NDTV - March 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Manage Stress During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - March 19th, 2020
- Sports Nutrition in 2020: Plant proteins and beyond - Nutritional Outlook - March 19th, 2020
- Obesity is a chronic disease: heres how to fight it - Philippine Star - March 19th, 2020
- The Workout Routine and Intuitive Diet of a CrossFitter Turned World Champ Weightlifter - POPSUGAR - March 15th, 2020
- Weight loss: Burn belly fat and carve six pack abs in these six steps - what can you do? - Express - March 15th, 2020
- The best foods to boost your immune system and how to get more of them into your diet - Telegraph.co.uk - March 15th, 2020
- Even if you are virus-free, COVID-19 is affecting your health. Here's what to do - Scope - March 15th, 2020
- Forget expensive creams, its healthy living that can make your skin glow - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 15th, 2020
- What is OMAD diet: Why eating one meal a day isn't recommended by experts - Insider - INSIDER - March 15th, 2020
- Vance AFB upgrades health protection condition in face of coronavirus - Moore American - March 15th, 2020
- Sticking to cardiac rehab boosts survival chances after a heart attack - Medical News Today - March 15th, 2020
- 325th Fighter Wing Commander Declaration of HPCON A - WJHG-TV - March 15th, 2020
- A healthy diet can reverse the bad effects of smoking, stress - Free Malaysia Today - March 15th, 2020
- A nutritionists guide to a better nights sleep - Evening Standard - March 15th, 2020
- What is considered obese and why it doesn't always mean poor health - Business Insider Australia - March 15th, 2020