Obesity in the USA
We are Morgane, Pierre, Virginie and Laura, four French students of Jean Marie Le Bris, a French lyce in Douarnenez. We work like all the students in France on two subjects for what is called "TPE".
We have decided to do a study about the obesity in the United States because this subject looked very interesting and because it's a universal problem.
To find some information we used the internet, sociological books, reports and we exchanged mails with american students (we ask them different questions). We have chosen to do a website because it's easy to use, it's more visual and interesting to look at.
So here is our work :
We can see that obesity is a real problem in the USA one people for three is obese or overweight. Someone who is overweight has a "body mass index" between 25 and 30 and someone who is obese has a "body mass index" higher than 30. We can notice that children who are more concerned by obesity (in the usa) are immigrant children.
Obsity comes from different problems. Food is a big factor of obesity, of course.To nibble is a part of a new way of life of today. This new way of life comes from a new type of restaurants such as fast food restaurants, more people don't move like before, they don't practise a lot of physical activities because their comfort is more important. To eat is a way to escape from stress, from sadness. Obesity is more important in the working-class because they don't have a good salary and they can't take care of their health so much.
The consequences of obesity are different. Health can be destroyed but they are social consquences too, obese people don't like their body, they have a negative image of themselves. But the look of other people isn't positive either.There is a lot of discrimination.
To fight against this obesity some people imagine different solutions. The main idea is to use the media, to do campains, to inform. The government can do things too like a tax in not healthy products but it's more difficult, some companies accept to change their methods. But some amrican consummer association do not agree with these propositions because they think that it is the opposite to the individual freedom.
Obesity is not only an american problem, today it's increasing all ever the world. To fight against obesity il possible but it will take a long time.
L'obsit aux Etats-Unis
Nous sommes quatre lves du lyce Jesn-Marie Le Bris Douarnenez: Laura, Virginie, Pierre et Morgane. Nous travaillons, comme tous le slves de 1re de France sur un projet: Travail Personnel Encadr et nos matires concernes sont l'anglais et les SES.
Nous avons dcid de prendre le sujet sur l'obsit aux USA car il nous semblait interessant et c'est un problme universel.
Pour trouver des informations nous avons utilis internet, des livres sociologiques, des reportages et nous avons correspondu avec des lves amricains. Nous avons choisit de prsenter notre travail sur un site internet car c'est facile utiliser, plus visuel et plus interessant regarder.
Voici notre travail:
On peut voir que l'obsit est un rel problme aux Etats-Unis, une personne sur trois est en surpoids ou obse. Une personne en surpoids a un indice de masse corporelle comprit entre 25 et 30 et un obse suprieur 30. On remarque galement que les enfants les plus concerns par l'obsit sont des enfants d'immigrs.
L'obsit provient de diffrents problmes. La nourriture est, bien sr, un grand facteur de l'obsit. Grignoter fait parti d'un nouveau mode de vie d'aujourd'hui. Ce nouveau mode de vie se traduit aussi par un nouveau type de restaurants : "fast food", les gens bougent moins qu'avant, ils pratiquent moins d'activits sportives car leur confort augmente.De plus, manger est devenue une manire d'chapper au stress et la tristesse. On constate un taux plus important d'obsit chez les classes sociales les moins leves car ils n'ont pas les moyens de consommer de la nourriture saine et de surveiller leur sant.
Les consquences de l'obsit sont varies. Les personnes obses rencontrent de nombreux problmes de sant mais galement des problmes sociaux, elles ont du mal a accepter leur corps , ils ont une image trs ngative d'eux-mme. Cependant le regard des autres n'est pas toujours valorisant non plus, il existe de nombreuses formes de discrimination lies l'obsit.
Pour lutter contre l'obsit, il existe de nombreuses solutions. L'ide principale est d'utiliser les mdias, pour faire des campagnes, pour informer. Le gourvernement peut galement agir, par exemple, en instaurant une taxe sur les produits gras mme si ce n'est pas facile. Certaines compagnies acceptent de modifier leurs recettes afin de les rendre plus quillibres. Cependant certaines associations de consommateurs amricaines ne sont pas d'accords car elles stiment que ces propositions nuisent la libert individuelle.
L'obsit n'est pas un problme uniquement amricain, aujourd'hui elle augmente partout dans le monde. Lutter contre l'obsit est possible mais va prendre du temps avant qu'elle ne diminue.
Aujourd'hui l'obsit est un problme de sant mondial, c'est la premire pidmie non virale avec plus de 300 millions de personnes obses dans le monde. Le taux d'obsit ne cesse d'augmenter partout mais il est plus important aux Etats-Unis qu'ailleurs.
Comment peut-on analyser le phnomene de l'obsit aux Etats-Unis ?
Ce site vous permettra de vous rendre compte de l'ampleur de ce problme (rubrique constat), de comprendre d'o vient l'obsit (rubrique causes), quelles en sont les consquences (rubrique consquences) et comment ragissent les Etats-Unis face cela (rubrique solutions).
Nous y avons ajout un tmoignage, et bien-sr un lexique et nos sources.
Today obesity is a worldwide health problem, it's the first non viral epidemic, there are 300 millions of obese people in the world.The levelof obesityisincreasing all over the worldbut it is the most important in the United States.
How can we study the problem of obesity in the United States?
This website will show you first how big this problem is (part 1), then it will help you to understand where obesity comes from (part 2), and what the consequences are (part 3) and finally how the United-States deals with it (part 4).
We have included too a moving story about a young obese and, of course, a glossary and our sources.
TPE obesity in the USA.
- Did the House Speaker Fat Shame the President? - National Review - May 21st, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: Americas Diet Takes Its Toll - Worth - May 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Or Weight Gain Or Obesity Is Not Affected By Proximity Of Your House To Restaurants Or Gym; Says Study - NDTV Food - May 21st, 2020
- Obesity not related to how close you live to fast food restaurants or gyms. Heres why - Hindustan Times - May 21st, 2020
- Thin gene that controls weight could help cure obesity - inews - May 21st, 2020
- Obesity and Covid-19: Researchers find major risk for deadly blood clots in the lungs - Health24 - May 21st, 2020
- We must win obesity war for the NHS: Third of COVID-19 deaths linked to diabetes - Express - May 21st, 2020
- Association between obesity-related anthropometric indices and multimorbidity among older adults in Shandong, China: a cross-sectional study. -... - May 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: More than 100 very obese patients are hospitalised with coronavirus - Independent.ie - May 21st, 2020
- PolitiFact: Donald Trump doesnt meet the definition of morbidly obese - Tampa Bay Times - May 20th, 2020
- Telephone coaching helped pregnant women with overweight or obesity manage gestational weight gain - Kaiser Permanente Division of Research - May 20th, 2020
- $5.75M grant to help researchers study role of obesity in development of pancreatic cancer - UCLA Newsroom - May 20th, 2020
- Battle Fatty Liver Disease and Obesity, Inform Cost-Effective Treatment Decisions: Echosens Articulates Value of Non-Invasive Diagnostic Tool,... - May 20th, 2020
- Wearing a Weighted Vest Alters Weight Loading and Improves Body Composition in Patients With Obesity - Endocrinology Advisor - May 18th, 2020
- Salivary Amylase Gene Copy Number Is Associated with the Obesity and I | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - May 18th, 2020
- Different Fatty Acid Composition Observed in Oocytes of Women With Overweight or Obesity - Endocrinology Advisor - May 18th, 2020
- Common sense health: Obese patients at higher risk of COVID-19 complications - The Bakersfield Californian - May 18th, 2020
- People get fatter as their country gets richer - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - May 18th, 2020
- Coffee Linked To Lower Body Fat Among Women, May Have Anti-Obesity Properties - Study Finds - May 18th, 2020
- Hospital admissions where obesity was a factor in London rise while research links severe coronavirus with weight - Hampstead Highgate Express - May 18th, 2020
- Hackney hospital admissions where obesity is a factor rise while study finds link between Covid-19 and weight - Hackney Gazette - May 18th, 2020
- Gene therapy reduces fat and builds muscle in mice - BioNews - May 18th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Obesity Management 10-Year Market Forecast and Trends Analysis Research Report -... - May 18th, 2020
- Slimming World welcomes Boris Johnson's pledge to tackle obesity - PoliticsHome.com - May 18th, 2020
- Obesity, stigma and vulnerability to Covid-19 - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- New report highlights the impact of obesity on WA health system - Australasian Leisure Management - May 17th, 2020
- Obese people are more at risk from coronavirus - and Teesside has a problem - Teesside Live - May 17th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Britain's fattest town exposed: 300 takeaway shops and 1-in-5 kids dangerously obese - Daily Star - May 17th, 2020
- Obesity Found Protective in mCRPC - Renal and Urology News - May 17th, 2020
- Statement Finds Healthy Eating Behaviors in Childhood Reduce Risk of Adult Obesity, Heart Disease - Pharmacy Times - May 17th, 2020
- Semaglutide 2.4 mg demonstrates superior and sustained weight loss versus placebo and in addition a 17.4% weight loss after 68 weeks in STEP 4 trial -... - May 17th, 2020
- Obesity Is Top Underlying Condition for Severe COVID-19 - Heavy.com - May 17th, 2020
- Psilocybin May be the Key to Treating a Range of Health Issues, Including Obesity - Baystreet.ca - May 17th, 2020
- Covid-19 is the new reality as lockdown exit gets closer - Hindustan Times - May 17th, 2020
- Study finds different types of human white fat cells - Medical News Today - May 17th, 2020
- New research confirms straw could be valuable weapon in fight against equine obesity - Horse & Hound - May 17th, 2020
- Obesity predicted to cost WA $610 million per year by 2026 - WAtoday - May 17th, 2020
- Alcoholism drug linked to dramatic weight loss in obesity study - SlashGear - May 15th, 2020
- Report: Boris Johnson thinks obesity was behind Covid hospitalisation - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 15th, 2020
- Repurposed drug helps obese mice lose weight, improve metabolic function - National Institutes of Health - May 15th, 2020
- Beyond sugar and salt reformulation: The case for 'positive nutrition' targets to help curb obesity - FoodNavigator.com - May 15th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Thinks Coronavirus Hospitalized Him Because He's Clinically Obese - The Daily Beast - May 15th, 2020
- Obesity and coronavirus whats the link? - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Obesity predicted to cost WA $610 million per year by 2026 - The Age - May 15th, 2020
- Hospital admissions for obesity in Cornwall reach record high - Cornwall Live - May 15th, 2020
- Obesity Can Shift Severe COVID-19 to Younger Age Groups - Medscape - May 12th, 2020
- Latest evidence on obesity and COVID-19 - Medical News Today - May 12th, 2020
- This is why people with obesity are more likely to die from coronavirus - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2020
- Study: Teen Obesity, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure May Lead to Prematurely Aged Arteries - Pharmacy Times - May 12th, 2020
- Gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle in sedentary mice on unhealthy diets - FierceBiotech - May 12th, 2020
- At least 400 people have died from coronavirus in Wisconsin. Here's what trends are emerging. - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 12th, 2020
- Allurion Expands Digital Offering For Patients and Providers in Response to COVID-19 - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Malnutrition leading cause of death and ill health worldwide report - The Guardian - May 12th, 2020
- Guidelines issued to prevent stigmatisation of obesity patients awaiting surgery - Irish Medical Times - May 12th, 2020
- Obesity leads to more than 12,000 admissions to Dorset hospitals in a year - Bournemouth Echo - May 12th, 2020
- Telling obese people to slim is no insult it could be a life-saver when it comes to coronavirus - The Sun - May 12th, 2020
- Latest evidence on obesity and COVID-19 - India Gone Viral - May 6th, 2020
- FIUs Dr. Aileen Marty On New Studies Suggesting COVID-19 Is Aerosolized And The Obesity Factor - CBS Miami - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus linked to greater risk of life-threatening infection in people with obesity - The Conversation UK - May 6th, 2020
- Teens, Genes, and Food Choices: What Contributes to Adolescent Obesity? - National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) - May 6th, 2020
- Why COVID-19 kills some people and spares others. Here's what scientists are finding. - Livescience.com - May 6th, 2020
- After Losing Her Father to Obesity, This Woman Took Her Inheritance and Started a Gym - Black Enterprise - May 6th, 2020
- Obese Britons may be forced to remain in lockdown after lifting of coronavirus restrictions - 9News - May 6th, 2020
- Fecal transplants may help combat obesity and diabetes: Know more about this new treatment - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Tackling obesity is more important than ever during the coronavirus crisis - The Grocer - May 6th, 2020
- Matt Hancock orders urgent probe into why coronavirus deaths in obese and ethnic minorities are so high - The Sun - May 6th, 2020
- Evidence obesity is a risk factor for serious illness with coronavirus is mounting even if you're young - The Conversation AU - May 2nd, 2020
- Obesity prevented in mice treated with gene-disabling nanoparticles - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - May 2nd, 2020
- UK Scientists Are Urgently Investigating The Link Between Obesity And The Coronavirus - BuzzFeed - May 2nd, 2020
- Obesity and high blood pressure in children could affect artery thickness later in life - msnNOW - May 2nd, 2020
- Higher thrombus risk in men with obesity in adolescence - Times of India - May 2nd, 2020
- Study suggests that wearing weighted vests could reduce obesity - New Atlas - May 2nd, 2020
- Screen Time and Obesity - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - May 2nd, 2020
- Obese adults facing Medicaid expansion gap - University of Georgia - May 2nd, 2020
- Letter: County obesity, food deserts need to be addressed - The Republic - May 2nd, 2020
- Obese people and males are at greater risk of dying from coronavirus: UK study - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - May 2nd, 2020
- Opinion | Who's fighting the obesity and diabetes pandemics? - Niagarathisweek.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Simming Memoirs Part IX: The return of King Sim Obesity II - Grand Prix 247 - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 is hitting some patients with obesity particularly hard - Science News - April 29th, 2020