Obesity in the USA
We are Morgane, Pierre, Virginie and Laura, four French students of Jean Marie Le Bris, a French lyce in Douarnenez. We work like all the students in France on two subjects for what is called "TPE".
We have decided to do a study about the obesity in the United States because this subject looked very interesting and because it's a universal problem.
To find some information we used the internet, sociological books, reports and we exchanged mails with american students (we ask them different questions). We have chosen to do a website because it's easy to use, it's more visual and interesting to look at.
So here is our work :
We can see that obesity is a real problem in the USA one people for three is obese or overweight. Someone who is overweight has a "body mass index" between 25 and 30 and someone who is obese has a "body mass index" higher than 30. We can notice that children who are more concerned by obesity (in the usa) are immigrant children.
Obsity comes from different problems. Food is a big factor of obesity, of course.To nibble is a part of a new way of life of today. This new way of life comes from a new type of restaurants such as fast food restaurants, more people don't move like before, they don't practise a lot of physical activities because their comfort is more important. To eat is a way to escape from stress, from sadness. Obesity is more important in the working-class because they don't have a good salary and they can't take care of their health so much.
The consequences of obesity are different. Health can be destroyed but they are social consquences too, obese people don't like their body, they have a negative image of themselves. But the look of other people isn't positive either.There is a lot of discrimination.
To fight against this obesity some people imagine different solutions. The main idea is to use the media, to do campains, to inform. The government can do things too like a tax in not healthy products but it's more difficult, some companies accept to change their methods. But some amrican consummer association do not agree with these propositions because they think that it is the opposite to the individual freedom.
Obesity is not only an american problem, today it's increasing all ever the world. To fight against obesity il possible but it will take a long time.
L'obsit aux Etats-Unis
Nous sommes quatre lves du lyce Jesn-Marie Le Bris Douarnenez: Laura, Virginie, Pierre et Morgane. Nous travaillons, comme tous le slves de 1re de France sur un projet: Travail Personnel Encadr et nos matires concernes sont l'anglais et les SES.
Nous avons dcid de prendre le sujet sur l'obsit aux USA car il nous semblait interessant et c'est un problme universel.
Pour trouver des informations nous avons utilis internet, des livres sociologiques, des reportages et nous avons correspondu avec des lves amricains. Nous avons choisit de prsenter notre travail sur un site internet car c'est facile utiliser, plus visuel et plus interessant regarder.
Voici notre travail:
On peut voir que l'obsit est un rel problme aux Etats-Unis, une personne sur trois est en surpoids ou obse. Une personne en surpoids a un indice de masse corporelle comprit entre 25 et 30 et un obse suprieur 30. On remarque galement que les enfants les plus concerns par l'obsit sont des enfants d'immigrs.
L'obsit provient de diffrents problmes. La nourriture est, bien sr, un grand facteur de l'obsit. Grignoter fait parti d'un nouveau mode de vie d'aujourd'hui. Ce nouveau mode de vie se traduit aussi par un nouveau type de restaurants : "fast food", les gens bougent moins qu'avant, ils pratiquent moins d'activits sportives car leur confort augmente.De plus, manger est devenue une manire d'chapper au stress et la tristesse. On constate un taux plus important d'obsit chez les classes sociales les moins leves car ils n'ont pas les moyens de consommer de la nourriture saine et de surveiller leur sant.
Les consquences de l'obsit sont varies. Les personnes obses rencontrent de nombreux problmes de sant mais galement des problmes sociaux, elles ont du mal a accepter leur corps , ils ont une image trs ngative d'eux-mme. Cependant le regard des autres n'est pas toujours valorisant non plus, il existe de nombreuses formes de discrimination lies l'obsit.
Pour lutter contre l'obsit, il existe de nombreuses solutions. L'ide principale est d'utiliser les mdias, pour faire des campagnes, pour informer. Le gourvernement peut galement agir, par exemple, en instaurant une taxe sur les produits gras mme si ce n'est pas facile. Certaines compagnies acceptent de modifier leurs recettes afin de les rendre plus quillibres. Cependant certaines associations de consommateurs amricaines ne sont pas d'accords car elles stiment que ces propositions nuisent la libert individuelle.
L'obsit n'est pas un problme uniquement amricain, aujourd'hui elle augmente partout dans le monde. Lutter contre l'obsit est possible mais va prendre du temps avant qu'elle ne diminue.
Aujourd'hui l'obsit est un problme de sant mondial, c'est la premire pidmie non virale avec plus de 300 millions de personnes obses dans le monde. Le taux d'obsit ne cesse d'augmenter partout mais il est plus important aux Etats-Unis qu'ailleurs.
Comment peut-on analyser le phnomene de l'obsit aux Etats-Unis ?
Ce site vous permettra de vous rendre compte de l'ampleur de ce problme (rubrique constat), de comprendre d'o vient l'obsit (rubrique causes), quelles en sont les consquences (rubrique consquences) et comment ragissent les Etats-Unis face cela (rubrique solutions).
Nous y avons ajout un tmoignage, et bien-sr un lexique et nos sources.
Today obesity is a worldwide health problem, it's the first non viral epidemic, there are 300 millions of obese people in the world.The levelof obesityisincreasing all over the worldbut it is the most important in the United States.
How can we study the problem of obesity in the United States?
This website will show you first how big this problem is (part 1), then it will help you to understand where obesity comes from (part 2), and what the consequences are (part 3) and finally how the United-States deals with it (part 4).
We have included too a moving story about a young obese and, of course, a glossary and our sources.
TPE obesity in the USA.
- Lower Childhood Obesity Rates in NJ Linked to Nutrition Program - NJ Spotlight - November 22nd, 2019
- Obese teens' quality of life improves after weight loss surgery - Reuters - November 22nd, 2019
- Recently discovered protein may play key role in obesity and metabolic disease - News-Medical.net - November 22nd, 2019
- Novo Nordisk and UNICEF announce new partnership to help prevent childhood overweight and obesity - UNICEF - November 22nd, 2019
- The Influence of Sex and Pre-operative Obesity on Biomechanics Two Years After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Longitudinal Cohort Study - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2019
- Obesity Risk Linked to Mutations in MRAP2 Gene, Study Says - Genetic Obesity News - November 22nd, 2019
- Two-thirds of men in Ireland are overweight or obese, report finds - Irish Times - November 22nd, 2019
- Summit aims to reduce obesity in Mississippi - WJTV - November 22nd, 2019
- Study of 20-year-olds says obesity more likely among women - The Times - November 22nd, 2019
- New Book Offers Insight into the Lives of the Extremely Obese - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- This protein that appears to play an important role in obesity, metabolic disease - Hindustan Times - November 22nd, 2019
- New studies point to benefits of weight-loss surgery for teens with severe obesity - News-Medical.net - November 20th, 2019
- 'Hyperpalatable' Defined as Foods Driving the Obesity Epidemic - Medscape - November 19th, 2019
- UC-Boulder 'encouraging' obesity with 'weight bias' workshop, conservative group says - Campus Reform - November 19th, 2019
- Free Decatur Event Will Address Being Overweight and Obesity Sat. - Decatur, GA Patch - November 19th, 2019
- Average US BMI on the rise despite increasing weight loss efforts - Medical News Today - November 19th, 2019
- Sleeve Gastrectomy Beneficial at Lower BMI; Call to Lower Threshold - Medscape - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity in Childhood Linked to Reduced Cortical Thickness, Executive Functioning - Psychiatry Advisor - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity-related cancers on the rise in younger Canadians: study - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2019
- Number of people with obesity doubles in 20 years - Open Access Government - November 19th, 2019
- Addressing the unmet needs of people living with obesity - Philippine Star - November 19th, 2019
- The way to tackle the child obesity epidemic? Teach cooking in schools - Telegraph.co.uk - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity And Obstetric Anesthesia: Current Insights | LRA - Dove Medical Press - November 18th, 2019
- 10 Things to Know About... Obesity - Entertainment.ie - November 18th, 2019
- How to Get Started Exercising When You're Living With Obesity - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 18th, 2019
- Here's Where New York Ranks Among Nation's Most Obese States - Daily Voice - November 18th, 2019
- UN spotlights 'explosive' obesity rates, hunger in Latin America and Caribbean - UN News - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity almost doubles in 20 years to affect 13 million people - The Guardian - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity and Bone Fractures in PWS Children Tied to High Blood Levels of Protein, Study Says - Prader-Willi News - November 17th, 2019
- UN calls for urgent action to curb rise in hunger and obesity in Latin America and Caribbean - YubaNet - November 17th, 2019
- Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens Who Cant Lose Weight Any Other Way - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- News digest cancer waiting times, complementary treatments, obesity and a NASA-style training for cancer patients? - Cancer Research UK - Science... - November 17th, 2019
- Holistic, Patient-Centred Approach Needed to Tackle Obesity - Medscape - November 17th, 2019
- Americans Are Dieting, But Obesity Is On The Rise - wjimam.com - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity almost doubles in 20 years - British Heart Foundation - November 17th, 2019
- UNT professor researching link between air pollution and obesity - Denton Record Chronicle - November 17th, 2019
- Rise in number of obese cats and dogs forcing vets to install heavy lifting equipment - The Independent - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Type of Exercise to Ward Off Obesity, According to Science - Men's Journal - November 17th, 2019
- Rise in number of obese dogs force vets to bring in heavy lifting gear to treat the over-sized pets - The Telegraph - November 17th, 2019
- The Human Body: A Gift and a Responsibility - BYU Speeches - May 14th, 2019
- Obesity - National Institute of Environmental Health Services - April 30th, 2019
- Home Page - Obesity Action Coalition - April 27th, 2019
- Let's Reverse Obesity Building a Community to Reverse ... - March 21st, 2019
- Cycling and obesity | Just Williams - March 21st, 2019
- Wired for Obesity: Genes Involved in Development Can ... - March 21st, 2019
- Atheism and obesity - Conservapedia - March 21st, 2019
- The Obesity Nightmare - March 21st, 2019
- Levels of Obesity (Tips.Net) - March 21st, 2019
- BMI Related Disease - BMI Calculator - March 12th, 2019
- What is obesity? - CNN Video - March 12th, 2019
- Obesity & BMI - Our World in Data - March 9th, 2019
- Obesity Statistics - Worldometers - February 8th, 2019
- Obesity Treatment - February 8th, 2019
- The Energy Drink Epidemic - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Missionary Health Preparation - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Provident Living | Word of Wisdom and Physical Health - February 6th, 2019
- Good HealthA Key to Joyous Living - Barbara B. Smith - February 6th, 2019
- Overweight and Obesity (for Parents) - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity - Causes - NHS - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity: The Journal of The Obesity Society - December 29th, 2018
- Obesity: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Tests & Preventions - December 9th, 2018
- Obesity | National Institute of Food and Agriculture - November 3rd, 2018
- World Rankings: Obesity Rates by Country (July 2017) - November 3rd, 2018
- Obesity | NIDDK - November 1st, 2018
- National Obesity Rates & Trends The State of Obesity - November 1st, 2018
- Obesity Rates & Trend Data The State of Obesity - October 8th, 2018
- 2nd International Conferennce on Nutritional Science & Obesity - September 24th, 2018
- Obesity and Cancer Fact Sheet - National Cancer Institute - September 2nd, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Medical News Today - July 25th, 2018
- Obesity and overweight - who.int - July 11th, 2018
- Obesity: Causes, Complications & Diagnosis - June 24th, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Obesity Action Coalition - June 24th, 2018
- Obesity epidemic grows in adults; perhaps levels off in ... - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity Is Lowering the Life Expectancy in the U.S. | Time - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity, overweight tied to shorter life, more years with ... - March 25th, 2018
- Journal of Childhood Obesity |Open Access Journals - March 24th, 2018
- CDR's New Interdisciplinary Certification in Obesity and ... - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity ProCon.org - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity - NHS.UK - March 22nd, 2018