Obesity in the USA
We are Morgane, Pierre, Virginie and Laura, four French students of Jean Marie Le Bris, a French lyce in Douarnenez. We work like all the students in France on two subjects for what is called "TPE".
We have decided to do a study about the obesity in the United States because this subject looked very interesting and because it's a universal problem.
To find some information we used the internet, sociological books, reports and we exchanged mails with american students (we ask them different questions). We have chosen to do a website because it's easy to use, it's more visual and interesting to look at.
So here is our work :
We can see that obesity is a real problem in the USA one people for three is obese or overweight. Someone who is overweight has a "body mass index" between 25 and 30 and someone who is obese has a "body mass index" higher than 30. We can notice that children who are more concerned by obesity (in the usa) are immigrant children.
Obsity comes from different problems. Food is a big factor of obesity, of course.To nibble is a part of a new way of life of today. This new way of life comes from a new type of restaurants such as fast food restaurants, more people don't move like before, they don't practise a lot of physical activities because their comfort is more important. To eat is a way to escape from stress, from sadness. Obesity is more important in the working-class because they don't have a good salary and they can't take care of their health so much.
The consequences of obesity are different. Health can be destroyed but they are social consquences too, obese people don't like their body, they have a negative image of themselves. But the look of other people isn't positive either.There is a lot of discrimination.
To fight against this obesity some people imagine different solutions. The main idea is to use the media, to do campains, to inform. The government can do things too like a tax in not healthy products but it's more difficult, some companies accept to change their methods. But some amrican consummer association do not agree with these propositions because they think that it is the opposite to the individual freedom.
Obesity is not only an american problem, today it's increasing all ever the world. To fight against obesity il possible but it will take a long time.
L'obsit aux Etats-Unis
Nous sommes quatre lves du lyce Jesn-Marie Le Bris Douarnenez: Laura, Virginie, Pierre et Morgane. Nous travaillons, comme tous le slves de 1re de France sur un projet: Travail Personnel Encadr et nos matires concernes sont l'anglais et les SES.
Nous avons dcid de prendre le sujet sur l'obsit aux USA car il nous semblait interessant et c'est un problme universel.
Pour trouver des informations nous avons utilis internet, des livres sociologiques, des reportages et nous avons correspondu avec des lves amricains. Nous avons choisit de prsenter notre travail sur un site internet car c'est facile utiliser, plus visuel et plus interessant regarder.
Voici notre travail:
On peut voir que l'obsit est un rel problme aux Etats-Unis, une personne sur trois est en surpoids ou obse. Une personne en surpoids a un indice de masse corporelle comprit entre 25 et 30 et un obse suprieur 30. On remarque galement que les enfants les plus concerns par l'obsit sont des enfants d'immigrs.
L'obsit provient de diffrents problmes. La nourriture est, bien sr, un grand facteur de l'obsit. Grignoter fait parti d'un nouveau mode de vie d'aujourd'hui. Ce nouveau mode de vie se traduit aussi par un nouveau type de restaurants : "fast food", les gens bougent moins qu'avant, ils pratiquent moins d'activits sportives car leur confort augmente.De plus, manger est devenue une manire d'chapper au stress et la tristesse. On constate un taux plus important d'obsit chez les classes sociales les moins leves car ils n'ont pas les moyens de consommer de la nourriture saine et de surveiller leur sant.
Les consquences de l'obsit sont varies. Les personnes obses rencontrent de nombreux problmes de sant mais galement des problmes sociaux, elles ont du mal a accepter leur corps , ils ont une image trs ngative d'eux-mme. Cependant le regard des autres n'est pas toujours valorisant non plus, il existe de nombreuses formes de discrimination lies l'obsit.
Pour lutter contre l'obsit, il existe de nombreuses solutions. L'ide principale est d'utiliser les mdias, pour faire des campagnes, pour informer. Le gourvernement peut galement agir, par exemple, en instaurant une taxe sur les produits gras mme si ce n'est pas facile. Certaines compagnies acceptent de modifier leurs recettes afin de les rendre plus quillibres. Cependant certaines associations de consommateurs amricaines ne sont pas d'accords car elles stiment que ces propositions nuisent la libert individuelle.
L'obsit n'est pas un problme uniquement amricain, aujourd'hui elle augmente partout dans le monde. Lutter contre l'obsit est possible mais va prendre du temps avant qu'elle ne diminue.
Aujourd'hui l'obsit est un problme de sant mondial, c'est la premire pidmie non virale avec plus de 300 millions de personnes obses dans le monde. Le taux d'obsit ne cesse d'augmenter partout mais il est plus important aux Etats-Unis qu'ailleurs.
Comment peut-on analyser le phnomene de l'obsit aux Etats-Unis ?
Ce site vous permettra de vous rendre compte de l'ampleur de ce problme (rubrique constat), de comprendre d'o vient l'obsit (rubrique causes), quelles en sont les consquences (rubrique consquences) et comment ragissent les Etats-Unis face cela (rubrique solutions).
Nous y avons ajout un tmoignage, et bien-sr un lexique et nos sources.
Today obesity is a worldwide health problem, it's the first non viral epidemic, there are 300 millions of obese people in the world.The levelof obesityisincreasing all over the worldbut it is the most important in the United States.
How can we study the problem of obesity in the United States?
This website will show you first how big this problem is (part 1), then it will help you to understand where obesity comes from (part 2), and what the consequences are (part 3) and finally how the United-States deals with it (part 4).
We have included too a moving story about a young obese and, of course, a glossary and our sources.
TPE obesity in the USA.
- The Human Body: A Gift and a Responsibility - BYU Speeches - May 14th, 2019
- Obesity - National Institute of Environmental Health Services - April 30th, 2019
- Home Page - Obesity Action Coalition - April 27th, 2019
- Let's Reverse Obesity Building a Community to Reverse ... - March 21st, 2019
- Cycling and obesity | Just Williams - March 21st, 2019
- Wired for Obesity: Genes Involved in Development Can ... - March 21st, 2019
- Atheism and obesity - Conservapedia - March 21st, 2019
- The Obesity Nightmare - March 21st, 2019
- Levels of Obesity (Tips.Net) - March 21st, 2019
- BMI Related Disease - BMI Calculator - March 12th, 2019
- What is obesity? - CNN Video - March 12th, 2019
- Obesity & BMI - Our World in Data - March 9th, 2019
- Obesity Statistics - Worldometers - February 8th, 2019
- Obesity Treatment - February 8th, 2019
- The Energy Drink Epidemic - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Missionary Health Preparation - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Provident Living | Word of Wisdom and Physical Health - February 6th, 2019
- Good HealthA Key to Joyous Living - Barbara B. Smith - February 6th, 2019
- Overweight and Obesity (for Parents) - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity - Causes - NHS - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity: The Journal of The Obesity Society - December 29th, 2018
- Obesity: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Tests & Preventions - December 9th, 2018
- Obesity | National Institute of Food and Agriculture - November 3rd, 2018
- World Rankings: Obesity Rates by Country (July 2017) - November 3rd, 2018
- Obesity | NIDDK - November 1st, 2018
- National Obesity Rates & Trends The State of Obesity - November 1st, 2018
- Obesity Rates & Trend Data The State of Obesity - October 8th, 2018
- 2nd International Conferennce on Nutritional Science & Obesity - September 24th, 2018
- Obesity and Cancer Fact Sheet - National Cancer Institute - September 2nd, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Medical News Today - July 25th, 2018
- Obesity and overweight - who.int - July 11th, 2018
- Obesity: Causes, Complications & Diagnosis - June 24th, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Obesity Action Coalition - June 24th, 2018
- Obesity epidemic grows in adults; perhaps levels off in ... - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity Is Lowering the Life Expectancy in the U.S. | Time - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity, overweight tied to shorter life, more years with ... - March 25th, 2018
- Journal of Childhood Obesity |Open Access Journals - March 24th, 2018
- CDR's New Interdisciplinary Certification in Obesity and ... - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity ProCon.org - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity - NHS.UK - March 22nd, 2018
- Why are Americans Obese? | PublicHealth.org - March 13th, 2018
- Obesity Epidemic Definition, Statistics, Causes & Facts - February 5th, 2018
- About NIH Obesity Research (Obesity Research) - February 1st, 2018
- Obesity: Get the Facts on Guidelines and Statistics - January 25th, 2018
- Overweight and Obesity | National Heart, Lung, and Blood ... - January 22nd, 2018
- Obesity - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 31st, 2017
- Obesity - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - December 11th, 2017
- Obesity - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Complications ... - November 1st, 2017
- Obesity Facts, and When to Seek Help - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- West Virginia leads nation in obesity rates - The Montgomery Herald - September 6th, 2017
- CDC Data Show Obesity Among US Adults Remains High - AAFP News - September 6th, 2017
- Study: Nearly 32 percent of NC residents obese | Local News ... - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Connection Between Sleep And Obesity Is Enigmatic - American Council on Science and Health - September 6th, 2017
- Rare obesity disease player Rhythm Pharma sets out in search of a $115M IPO windfall - Endpoints News - September 6th, 2017
- Obesity epidemic at new high, costs $150B a year, hurts ... - September 5th, 2017
- Disease of Obesity - American Society for Metabolic and ... - September 5th, 2017
- Kansas only state to reduce adult obesity rate in 2016 - Dodge City Daily Globe - September 5th, 2017
- Don't blame food stamps for obesity in America - GreenwichTime - Greenwich Time - September 5th, 2017
- More than 1 of 4 New Yorkers is Obese in New Study while Overall Obesity Rise is Leveling Off - WAER - September 5th, 2017
- More obesity operations could help thousands of Britons, surgeons say - Treehugger - September 5th, 2017
- Weight's Over: Arkansas's Obesity Rank Jumps To 3rd In New Report - KASU - September 5th, 2017
- Take a stand against childhood obesity - BizTimes.com (Milwaukee) - September 5th, 2017
- Dietitian hopes to help lower state's obesity rate - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - September 4th, 2017
- Obesity report: One-third of US adults are beyond overweight - WDEF News 12 - September 4th, 2017
- Dust particles may contribute to obesity, study shows - Duke Chronicle - September 4th, 2017
- September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month - Greensburg Daily News - September 3rd, 2017
- Colorado Obesity Rate Increases - Still Lowest in the Nation - Kiowa County Press - September 3rd, 2017
- Apollo bags CE mark for longer-term obesity balloon - FierceBiotech - September 3rd, 2017
- Hold that corn dog. Minnesota obesity is on the rise - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 2nd, 2017
- American obesity report: 1 in 3 adults are beyond overweight ... - Chicago Tribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Scientists Discovered a Protein that Could Lead to a Treatment for ... - Futurism - September 2nd, 2017
- UK needs to perform thousands more obesity operations, say ... - The Guardian - September 2nd, 2017
- Can obesity rates be reversed? - The Business Journals - September 2nd, 2017
- Do You Live In the Fattest State In America? - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- Early pregnancy weight gain may increase risk of childhood obesity - The Boston Globe - August 29th, 2017
- High Calorie Foods May Increase Cancer Risk Regardless Of Obesity Status, Study Finds - CBS Philly - August 29th, 2017
- ESC: Is Low BMI a Bigger Problem than Obesity After PCI? - MedPage Today - August 29th, 2017
- The obesity myth: experts tackle a big problem to deliver new solutions - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 29th, 2017
- Obesity and Pregnancy - ACOG - August 27th, 2017