Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
on September 15, 2018
Since going keto means greatly reducing carbs, and since carbs are the bodys primary source of fuel, you might be wondering what your options are when it comes to how to exercise while in ketosis.
The good news is that while there are some things to keep in mind, exercise is totally possible on the ketogenic diet and even has some big benefits health- and energy-wise. These are important to know when wading through any misconceptions or poorly-understood topics around low carb eating and working outsuch as how to build muscle on keto or how many carbs you can actually eat on keto when you exercise often.
First, lets note that the traditional view of weight losssimply eating less and exercising longer, often with long bouts of cardiois outdated and unsustainable. In order to see real results when it comes to losing weight and getting leaner, what you eat really matters. A great place to start is checking out a guide on sourcing meat, dairy, and seafood. Therefore, paying attention to the quality of your ketogenic diet itself, and maintaining a steady state of ketosis, is the most important first step you can take. To see if you are actually in a metabolic state of ketosis, testing your ketone levels is vitally important.
However, exercise also has many benefits for your health. Its good for the heart, builds muscle to keep you lean and toned, and strengths the bones. Thankfully, exercise can completely fit into your routine while eating for ketosis. You just need to keep in mind a few simple considerations:
Nutritional needs vary depending on the type of exercise performed. Workouts styles are typically divided into four types: aerobic, anaerobic, flexibility, and stability.
Aerobic exercise, also known as cardio exercise, is anything that lasts over three minutes. Lower intensity, steady-state cardio is fat burning, making it very friendly for the keto dieter.
Anaerobic exercise is characterized by shorter bursts of energy, such as from weight training or high-intensity interval training. Carbohydrates are the primary fuel for anaerobic exercise, so fat alone cant provide enough energy for this type of workout.
Flexibility exercises are helpful for stretching out your muscle, supporting joints, and improving muscle range of motion. Increasing your flexibility can help prevent injuries caused by shortening of the muscles over time. Yoga and simple after-workout stretches are good examples of this.
Stability exercises include balance exercises and core training. They help improve your alignment, strength muscles, and control of movement.
When youre in ketosis, the workout intensity matters as well:
When youre in ketosis, youre using fat as your primary energy source. This can make high-intensity exercise, namely anaerobic exercises, more difficult at the beginning of the diet. But theres a solution:
If you do exercise that is more intense, such as working out more than three days a week and at high intensity, like sprinting or weightlifting, youll need to adjust your keto diet to fit your carb needs for your amount of exercise. Simply sticking to the standard ketogenic diet likely wont be enough in this case.
A good rule of thumb is to eat 15-30 grams of fast-acting carbs, such as fruit, within 30 minutes before your workout and within 30 minutes after. This will ensure you provide your muscles with the proper amount of glycogen to perform during the training and also recover. It allows the carbs to be used exactly for this purpose and prevent any risk of leaving ketosis.
The difference between each ketogenic diet type depends on carbohydrate intake.
Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): 20-50 grams of net carbs per day
Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): 20-50 grams or less of net carbs taken 30 minutes to 1 hour before exercise, best for athletes with high-intensity activities
Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): Eating low-carb keto for several days, then eating higher-carb for a couple of days
Other than this change, you can continue with the standard keto diet ratios during the rest of the day, and a normal keto diet should be fine for low or moderate aerobic, flexibility, and stability exercises.
The good news is that as the body adapts to low-carb eating and using fat for fuel (which typically takes around 2-3 weeks), exercise performance value can greatly increase. Since the body isnt getting carbs for energy, it must turn to the secondary form: fat. This can change how the body utilizes energy when working out, as the preferred source for muscles, glycogen, isnt as present without carbohydrate intake.
However, the longer someone remains on a low-carb, ketogenic diet, the body goes through whats known as keto-adaptationbecoming more efficient at burning fat and using ketones for fuel. This adaptation plays a powerful part in more efficiently burning fat during exercise.
It might seem like ketosis is a hindrance to long-term exercise, but it actually has shown to provide significant benefits:
Besides what we know today, we also have records showing the power of ketosis for movement and peak physical performance.
Although ketosis might get a bad rep in terms of exercise due to popular carb-heavy philosophies, the truth is the diet has a healthy place within a regular low or moderate exercise routine and can easily be adapted to fit the lifestyles of those who are more active. It just takes a little tweaking to find what works best for you.
Read more from the original source:
Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet
- What's the best way to lose fat- diet or exercise? - Belfast Live - June 1st, 2020
- Latest Scientific Findings on Weight Loss Opportunities and Diet Risks - SciTechDaily - June 1st, 2020
- 'Fat burning zone'? The best way to exercise to burn fat - Jakarta Post - June 1st, 2020
- These 3 workout and diet weight loss tips for men are so easy but they actually WORK - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- We tried Ring Fit Adventure on Nintendo Switch and it is a REAL workout. Turns out weight loss CAN be fun - T3 (Australia) - June 1st, 2020
- Tom Schwartz: The Real-Life Diet of the 'Vanderpump Rules' Star Who Is Making Questionable Smoothie Decisions in Quarantine - GQ - June 1st, 2020
- Watch How This Guy Trained to Get Six-Pack Abs in Just 6 Weeks - menshealth.com - June 1st, 2020
- Three SIMPLE weight loss tips that actually work - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- Best weight loss exercises for every body type, according to fitness expert - Daily Star - June 1st, 2020
- Heather and Terry Dubrow Reveal the Perks of Their New Dubrow Keto Fusion Diet: Alcohol and Fruit! - Us Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- The Supplements to Take Before, During and After Your Workouts - LIVESTRONG.COM - June 1st, 2020
- Garth A. Rattray | The frustration of patients' non-adherence - Jamaica Gleaner - June 1st, 2020
- You can get a six pack in 15 minutes without even leaving your living room with this workout - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- Cycling and illness: Can intense training increase the risk of catching a virus? - Cycling Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Diabetes type 2 - the best exercise to avoid high blood sugar symptoms - Express - June 1st, 2020
- World No Tobacco Day: Ways to use this lockdown as a catalyst to quit smoking - National Herald - June 1st, 2020
- Can Milk And Dairy Products Prevent Age-Related Bone Loss? Here's The Truth - NDTV Food - June 1st, 2020
- How to live longer: The best diet hailed by health experts to increase life expectancy - Express - June 1st, 2020
- How People Are Practicing Healthier Behaviors in the Face of COVID-19 - Healthline - June 1st, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Montreal Gazette - June 1st, 2020
- When to start a diet: 7 reasons why now is a good time from a dietitian - TODAY - May 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts reveal the best time to drink apple cider vinegar - Express - May 26th, 2020
- This Guy Tried the Workout and Diet That Helped Navy SEAL David Goggins Lose 100 Pounds in 3 Months - menshealth.com - May 26th, 2020
- Losing Sleep During COVID-19? Tips on How and When to Exercise - Healthline - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer - the best breakfast food to prevent early death and boost weight loss - Express - May 26th, 2020
- To Fight Covid-19, Dont Neglect Immunity and Inflammation - The New York Times - May 26th, 2020
- Certain exercises linked to improved blood flow in key brain regions - SlashGear - May 26th, 2020
- How to structure a healthy diet while you're working from home during the coronavirus pandemic, according to n - Business Insider India - May 26th, 2020
- Michael Phelps Eating And Exercise Regime Proves He's Half Man, Half Amazing - Men's Health - May 26th, 2020
- Virus has made healthy eating more costly - just when we need a better diet - Bryan-College Station Eagle - May 26th, 2020
- Pre-Workout Diet: Five Foods To Eat Before You Hit The Treadmill - NDTV Food - May 26th, 2020
- Is it safe for Joe Maddon and Dave Roberts to manage teams? - Los Angeles Times - May 26th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Stay Fit While Maximizing Technology - HealthTechZone - May 26th, 2020
- Women need to exercise as they age, doctor says - Taipei Times - May 26th, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Cochrane Times Post - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer: The best exercise to boost heart health and increase life expectancy - Express - May 26th, 2020
- Yes, You Can Lose Weight Walking as Little as 30 Minutes a Day - but There's a Catch - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- 6 benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy - TheHealthSite - May 26th, 2020
- World Digestive Health Day Q&A with Dr Megan Rossi and Poo-pourri - ResponseSource - May 26th, 2020
- Obesity in mice prevented by disabling gene - Medical News Today - May 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: 3 things that helped Adele lose 22 kilos, according to her personal trainer - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - The Conversation UK - May 24th, 2020
- A Meal With Craig Burton, putting diet facts on the table - The Phuket News - May 24th, 2020
- Diabetic? Tips to keep your blood sugar levels in check amid pandemic - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, Vegan for 10 Years, Says "I'm In the Best Shape Ever" - The Beet - May 24th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of TimTheTatman, Who's Intermittent Fasting and Trying to Stay Healthy - GQ - May 24th, 2020
- 15 Tips To Stay Consistent On A Healthy Diet From Nutritionist - NDTV - May 24th, 2020
- Young Indiana wrestlers find ways to stay fit amid pandemic - The Herald Review - May 24th, 2020
- Skincare: Common mistakes we make during the lockdown and different ways to deal with it - PINKVILLA - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Kiowa County Press - May 24th, 2020
- As obesity's link to COVID-19 grows, one family that lost 24-year-old daughter diets together - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2020
- Overcome the coronavirus meat shortage by adopting one of the world's healthiest diets - CNN - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: This is the best time to eat to burn belly fat - but expert issues warning - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Once N95 masks are available, should I wear one?' and other coronavirus questions answered by Wisconsin health experts - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 22nd, 2020
- This Guy Threw Away Junk Food, Cut Back on TV, and Lost 80 Pounds - menshealth.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Perspective: The Exercise We're Missing Out On - WNIJ and WNIU - May 22nd, 2020
- I'm heading out into this newly opened Wisconsin. What do I need to know? Our experts are here to help. - Marshfield News-Herald - May 22nd, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 25p fruit that could prevent deadly symptoms of hypertension - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Full-body home workouts for weight loss: 4 effective exercises that will help you burn belly fat - Times Now - May 22nd, 2020
- The diet secret that Salma Hayek is prepared before a big event - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- 'I Spent My Early 30s Masking My Eating Disorder with Fad Diets and Over-Exercising' - Yahoo Style - May 22nd, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for May 22 - Mumbai Mirror - May 22nd, 2020
- Associations of Midlife Blood Pressure Responses to Exercise with the Risk of Disease in Later Life - Bel Marra Health - May 22nd, 2020
- Lockdown could be a great time to try the keto diet and this keto meal plan could really help with weight loss - T3 - May 22nd, 2020
- Before you go back out in public, read the immunity checklist - Houston Chronicle - May 22nd, 2020
- Understanding PCOS And Its Patriarchal Standards Of Femininity - Feminism in India - May 22nd, 2020
- Rugby star Sonny Bill Williams talks diet, fasting and training in lockdown - Voxy - May 22nd, 2020
- Why am I so tired? How to deal with exhaustion during pandemic - TODAY - May 22nd, 2020
- What the health? Doctor prescribes tips for wellness in his new book - The Spokesman-Review - May 22nd, 2020
- World Hypertension Day: Managing hypertension during a global health crisis - The Indian Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Take care of your hair with this night routine - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- Adele seen driving to the gym as she keeps up her gruelling exercise regime after seven stone weight loss - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- The UK Lockdown Diet Report: Brits Struggling As They Pile on the Pounds, Reveals The 1:1 Diet by Cambridge Weight Plan - PR Newswire UK - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Love Your Health: Infertility, Diet And Exercise. Is There A Link? - Greeneville Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Greg Bell: The simple health choices that help Utahns fight COVID-19 - Deseret News - May 15th, 2020
- Immunity building: Ensure your diet is full of these essential nutrients - The Indian Express - May 15th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding admits to previous 'unhealthy relationship with food' - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- What Happens When You Run a 5K Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 15th, 2020
- International Day of Families 2020: 5 tips to ensure a healthy, balanced diet for your family - Times Now - May 15th, 2020