LifestyleFood and DrinkThe celebrity chef is back with a new TV show and book, and hopes he can guide others who want to lose weight and eat better
Friday, 17th January 2020, 10:42 am
Before Tom Kerridge answers a question of any description, he slides over a curious little gift box and says in his West Country chime, These are for you, by the way. Inside are four energy balls covered in desiccated coconut. They taste of carrot cake and are some way removed from those found in health shops, which tend to be bitty and dry and reminiscent of what grandmothers feed squirrels.
Kerridge has put a little weight back on recently, so is on a health kick. A nation watched in hungry admiration when the chef told of how he shifted 12 stone yes, an entire Jason Atherton having topped out at 30 stone at the age of 40. He knew then that he needed to make a change: I had a family, and I knew I needed to do it for them, not just myself.
I was self-indulgent and hedonistic before. These days I love nothing more than taking my son to the park. Seeing his face and spending time with him is the greatest feeling there is.
Despite running two-Michelin-starred pub The Hand & Flowers in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, a second one-star venue, The Coach, nearby, as well as grill restaurants in London and Manchester, Kerridge denied himself carbs, went teetotal, and found time to go swimming every day.
Six years on, its fair to say that, while he was a well-known chef before, losing the weight meant another level of popularity. Here was a relatable everyday bloke who, he says, would otherwise be driving a van or working on a building site, but had forged a prestigious career as a celebrity chef. Yet he concedes that his life has become a touch paradoxical: his meteoric rise has meant a great deal of media work, meaning he doesnt have time to go swimming every day any more.
My world is more disjointed now. Theres not so much structure, he explains. I suppose its a catch-22: Im so lucky to be able to have this career and do this work, but Im travelling a lot, staying at hotels, and its made it much harder to stick to my routine.
A 6ft 2in gentle giant of a man, Kerridge is determined to avoid slipping back into bad habits and this time hes doing things differently. Theres no cold turkey dramatics, no shunning carbs resolutely or swimming for hours only balance and realistic, lower-calorie food.
I had to make big changes to kick-start things before, he says. Thats what worked for me and got me to a better position. Now I focus on calorie-counting and Im realistic about meal planning. I take the time to make delicious dinners and treat things in moderation I might have a small portion of chips, but I wont go crazy. I eat a lot of salads, grilled fish. We can all make these choices and then every now and then have a burger.
When Kerridge first stripped off the pounds, he found himself getting into weightlifting. I managed to get up to 185kg on the deadlift. But training to that extent made me need to eat much more, which obviously brought other problems.
Now he mixes cardio with weight training, and while he concedes that calorie-counting doesnt work for everyone, it does for him, and he hopes he can help to guide others from a chefs perspective.
What I was doing [with my diet] before wasnt sustainable, he admits. My life is food. Im around it every day and I love it Im tasting things and experimenting with new dishes. I cant avoid certain foods. I dont want to be militant about how I live. But what I can do is to exercise some control, and thats much easier if I think about dishes and work out weekly plans.
Kerridge explains these values in his new book, Lose Weight and Get Fit, and the BBC show that accompanies it. It is filmed in his home town of Gloucester and is somewhat of a homecoming: the personal trainer helping the chef and 11 volunteers on the show was his best man; and the fitness programme is taught at Hartpury College, where his heroes of Gloucester rugby club train.
Kerridge suggests that simple, home-cooked dishes such as spicy steak and charred corn tacos, and chicken, miso and mushroom ramen will appeal to a broad spectrum of society.
I want people to feel safe and comfortable, he says. My recipes are approachable. I think part of my appeal is that people can relate to me. Even my Michelin-starred restaurants are pubs. Ive always wanted to be as accessible as possible, and thats the same of my cookbooks. The food is obviously very different to what you get in the Hand & Flowers or The Coach, but its what I like to cook at home. Ive been fortunate to travel and pick up ideas. I wouldnt do them in my restaurants, as theyre not my style, but they are still really tasty.
Kerridge says that shooting the programme in Gloucester made translating his new food from book to screen all the more joyful. Its warm. Everyones in it together, which is great. We all had a common goal, so theres real companionship.
Sentimentality aside, Kerridge remains a chefs chef, and is just as focused on his pubs and grills as he ever was. He says Britains burgeoning food industry is exciting to be a part of and his latest venture, The Bull & Bear in Manchester, is going far better than he anticipated.
The food scene now is fantastic, he says. We have some of the best produce in the world. There are some amazing chefs doing fantastic things. I love the restaurant scene up and down the country. Its wonderful to be part of the buzz.
And his naughty streak is still in there somewhere. If he found himself sitting down to a hypothetical final meal without repercussions, he says, hed have an enormous fish and chips haddock with curry sauce, tartare sauce, gravy, and 24 cans of Stella. You wont find that on many diet plans.
Lose Weight & Get Fit by Tom Kerridge is published by Bloomsbury Absolute, priced 22. The accompanying TV show airs on BBC2 at 8.30pm on Wednesdays.
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020
- Mum's amazing transformation after shedding half her body weight in just a year - Stoke-on-Trent Live - February 9th, 2020
- 'Losing 7.5 stone has made me a new man' - Councillor from Fulwood tells of a pivotal year shedding weight - Lancashire Post - February 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting A Trendy New Way To Diet, But Researchers Say More Studies Need To Be Done - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- The Truth About Losing Weight With Weed - VICE - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy, effective way - Insider - INSIDER - February 8th, 2020
- Health experts weigh in on cutting weight for sports - WTOL - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This teacher lost more than 20 kilos in just 6 months! Heres how she did it - Times of India - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight on a budget 5 simple tips to help shed the pounds without spending them - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- You CAN eat pizza and lose weight, expert says the 8 best options from Wetherspoons to Dominos if youre on - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Scientific weight loss study by CSIRO reveals key to losing weight and keeping it off - Have a Go News - February 8th, 2020
- How Running Helped This Guy Get Sober and Drop 50 Pounds - Men's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Is cardio the best way to lose weight? Personal trainers bust the myth - Irish Examiner - February 8th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Travis works hard to lose weight to fulfill his goal of giving his wife a real wedding - MEAWW - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss: Increasing this one thing is the key to burning belly fat, says expert - Express - February 8th, 2020
- Desperate bridesmaid asks how to lose 1.5st just weeks before the wedding because its too late to get a d - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Obese man mocked and 'judged' in McDonald's loses half his body weight - Liverpool Echo - February 8th, 2020
- Hamilton gran who struggled to put on her own socks loses over five stone - Daily Record - February 8th, 2020
- VA Department and Virta Health Focus On Reversing Diabetes with Keto Diet - Myhealthyclick - February 8th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the keto diet - ABC Local - February 8th, 2020
- Make the Lose Weight and Get Fit Chicken pancakes: Tom Kerridge reinvents a favourite! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, according to experts - Health24 - February 8th, 2020
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020