We have seen increasingly dramatic headlines over the years on the risks of menopausal hormone therapy (MHT), also known as hormone replacement therapy.
An alarming study in 2002, which found an apparent increased risk of breast cancer in women who took MHT, prompted the first of these headlines.
But newer evidence has been reassuring. Its also a reminder that when considering your options, any risk associated with taking MHT needs to be balanced with the benefits.
This balance is the main thing your GP will consider when discussing whether MHT is right for you.
Read more: Making sense of menopausal hormone therapy means understanding the benefits as well as the risks
In 2002, the Womens Health Initiative study found women who took MHT had a 26% increased risk of breast cancer. This finding, which was later disputed, led to a 55% drop in MHT use in the next three years.
A reanalysis of the data showed a lower risk of breast cancer in some women.
And in 2016, a statement from the worlds leading menopause specialists said the benefits of MHT are more likely to outweigh the risks if women with symptoms start taking it before they turn 60 or within ten years after menopause.
Read more: What causes breast cancer in women? What we know, don't know and suspect
Then a study published in The Lancet in recent months suggested the risks might be greater than once thought.
However, this study combined the results of previous ones, including observational studies, which have limitations. Observational studies show associations between one factor and another, rather than one causes the other. So factors other than MHT might be at play in increasing a womans risk of breast cancer. As a result, these studies tend to overestimate the risks.
Other risks linked with MHT include thromboembolism (a type of blood clot). And in older women, theres an increased risk of stroke.
So, if you are one of approximately one-third of women aged 40-65 suffering moderate to severe menopausal symptoms, what do you need to know?
Most women experience menopause (the date of her last period) at around 45-55 years of age. Some womens periods stop before then, either spontaneously or due to some medical treatment, with varying symptoms and health risks.
However, menopausal symptoms may start before periods stop, and last on average seven to ten years. For a minority of women, symptoms can last for longer.
Physical symptoms include hot flushes, night sweats and vaginal dryness, with severe symptoms profoundly reducing womens quality of life.
MHT is available in different forms such as a tablet, skin patch, gel, and vaginal pessary or cream. These have advantages and disadvantages.
For example, some act on the whole body such as tablets, gels, and patches while others such as vaginal creams and pessaries act on the local area only. Those that act locally have no increased risk of breast cancer or thromboembolism.
Read more: Don't count on freezing ovarian tissue to delay menopause or stop your biological clock
MHT is an effective treatment for hot flushes, night sweats and vaginal dryness. Other treatments, such as bioidentical or natural hormones, have safety concerns. Others, such as phytoestrogens and many other herbal preparations, dont work.
MHT also helps prevent osteoporosis, and may help prevent colon cancer, type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease.
The balance of risks versus benefits of MHT varies from woman to woman, depending on a number of factors. Here are some hypothetical examples.
1. Gina is a healthy 52 year old with menopausal symptoms, a family history of breast cancer (her mother was diagnosed at 65), and low bone density
If Ginas menopausal symptoms are troubling her, then MHT is a reasonable option. Not only is it the most effective treatment for her symptoms, it has the added benefit for bone health. Gina will need a comprehensive assessment to decide the best type of MHT.
Breast cancer is the most feared risk of MHT. The risk depends on the type of MHT and how long its used. But that risk declines after Gina stops using it.
The Lancet paper showed that for women with a family history of breast cancer like Gina, MHT use does not further increase her breast cancer risk. But it also showed that longer use of MHT is associated with a slower decline in risk after stopping using it.
2. Sarah has menopausal symptoms, has had both ovaries removed and a hysterectomy, is obese and drinks moderately
Sarahs going through whats called a surgical menopause and has the physical symptoms that go with it, including hot flushes.
Her obesity and moderate drinking already increases her risk of breast cancer. The Lancet paper showed that the use of oestrogen only-MHT (the type of MHT shed take because of her hysterectomy) does not further add to this risk.
However, her obesity is associated with an increased risk of blood clots. As the risk of blood clots increases if she takes oestrogen in tablet form, MHT as a skin patch or gel would be the best choice.
Losing weight may also improve Sarahs hot flushes.
3. Sam went through menopause before she turned 45
One in 10 women experience menopause before the age of 45, like Sam.
This puts her at a 30% lower risk of breast cancer compared with women who experience menopause later in life.
However, early menopause is associated with a greater risk of premature death, including from heart disease as well as substantially greater risk of osteoporosis and fragility fracture in later life.
So her GP will likely advise her to take MHT until the average age of menopause. This restores her breast cancer, heart, and mortality risk to approximately what it would have been if she had not gone through an early menopause. It also reduces her risk of bone thinning (osteoporosis).
4. Lee is 65, has vaginal dryness but no more hot flushes
Vaginal symptoms, including discomfort from vaginal dryness, are common in postmenopausal women like Lee. And vaginal oestrogen preparations as a pessary are an effective and safe option.
Vaginal oestrogen acts locally so does not improve bone health and does not increase blood clots or breast cancer risk.
The decision about whether to use MHT, which form, or to consider an alternative to MHT to manage your symptoms can be a complex one.
So, its important to form a partnership with your doctor who can guide you to make an informed decision. You may need several discussions over a period of time to fully consider what is right for you.
- An exploration of factors affecting the quality of life of women with primary ovarian insufficiency: a qualitative study - BMC Blogs Network - August 11th, 2020
- Your contraceptive pill may be protecting you against the coronavirus, according to a study - Health24 - August 11th, 2020
- My friend shared what it was like to be pregnant as a transgender man in the Deep South - Upworthy - August 11th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Projected to Witness a Measurable Downturn; COVID-19 Outbr - PharmiWeb.com - August 11th, 2020
- HGH Combined With Alendronate Can Lower the Risk of Bone Fractures in Patients With Osteoporosis - Gilmore Health News - July 30th, 2020
- Global Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Insights Report 2020-2026 with COVID-19 Pandemic Analysis & New Business Solutions ... - July 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Kolkatas trans community has been locked out of healthcare and livelihood - Scroll.in - July 30th, 2020
- Teen boy forced to transition in juvenile hall in California - The Post Millennial - July 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Size and Forecast by 2026 - Owned - July 26th, 2020
- 21 ways to reduce your Alzheimer's risk, backed by research - Gwinnettdailypost.com - July 26th, 2020
- Can Hormone Therapy Prevent UTIs? - Everyday Health - July 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Condition 2018 to 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 25th, 2020
- I forgot how to cry as a man. HRT gave me a range of emotions I never thought possible - The Guardian - July 25th, 2020
- This Relief Fund is Supporting LGBTQ Immigrants During the Pandemic and They Want Your Help - Autostraddle - July 25th, 2020
- Women who detransition deserve to have their stories told - The Post Millennial - July 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy HRT Market 2019 | Prominent Factors by Industry Size, Share, Business Development Plans, Market Dynamics and Forecast to... - July 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- 'All GPs should be able to manage menopause' but can they? - RACGP - July 7th, 2020
- Dr. Richard Isaacson: The Link Between Alzheimer's and Menopause - Being Patient - July 7th, 2020
- When the ID shows a different picture than reality: Being transgender in Romania - Deutsche Welle - July 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Dynamics, Segment, and Supply Demand 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Continued care: In the face of Trump's rollback of LGBTQ-plus health care protections, Planned Parenthood isn't going anywhere - New Times SLO - July 3rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- Our Turn: Supporting survivors in the LGBTQIA community - eagletimes.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Ask the GP: I'm told I have cataracts but the idea of surgery scares me - The Irish News - July 3rd, 2020
- The New Theory About What Causes Alzheimers in Women - HealthCentral.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Being ahead of the changes that come before menopause is crucial - The Star Online - July 3rd, 2020
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner reveal the first big step that Caitlyn Jenner taken during the tran ... - Code List - July 3rd, 2020
- Week in Review: Evaluating the Efficacy of Adjunctive Therapies Used to Treat COVID-19 - Pharmacy Times - June 27th, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Global Industry Trend Analysis (2013 to 2019) and Forecast (2020 2027): Abbott Laboratories,... - June 27th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Steady Growth through 2017 to 2026 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 27th, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Announces Publication of a Peer-Reviewed Journal Article Supporting the Use of the Postcoital Test Study as a Predictor of... - June 27th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Therapeutics Market Report 2020 With (COVID-19 Impact Analysis | Esticast Research - SG Research Sphere - June 27th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Hrt Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2027: Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer... - June 27th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Most Benefits Women Under 60 - Pharmacy Times - June 24th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Global Research and Clinical Survey Report 2020 to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about Viagra for women - Yahoo Style - June 24th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Applications and Growth Factors Analysis - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Live true: My transgender life in ad-land - The Brave Group - Bizcommunity.com - June 24th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Growing Awareness about of Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Growth of CAGR - Surfacing Magazine - June 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Predictable To Witness Sustainable Evolution over 2020-2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Hitting New Highs Between the Forecast Period 2020-2027 | By Leading Players Novartis AG,... - June 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Data Breakdown by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application -... - June 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) MARKET SIZE BY APPLICATION, TYPES, END-USER, REGIONAL ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 2020 TO 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Purple Threads: Members of the LGBTQ+ community reflect on their journeys - K-State Collegian - June 21st, 2020
- Mammography Equipment Market to Record Exponential Growth Owing to High Demand Through COVID 19 Pandemic - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Perceive Substantial Growth During 2017 to 2026 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 17th, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy and Fracture Healing Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report... - June 17th, 2020
- People are surviving COVID-19 only to die of THESE deadly diseases - here's who's at risk - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy in New Jersey - Hormone Therapeutics - June 14th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Outlook By Industry Size, Share, Revenue, Regions And Top Key Players Analysis From 2020-2029 - Jewish Life News - June 14th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 ? Global Market Size, Share, Trends, Manufacturers Analysis And Growth Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life... - June 14th, 2020
- JK Rowling falsely claims an 'explosion' of girls have de-transitioned - Insider - INSIDER - June 14th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Foraying into Emerging Economies 2017 to 2026 - Medic Insider - June 12th, 2020
- (IMPACT OF COVID-19) BIO-IDENTICAL HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY MARKET 2020 BOOMING SEGMENTS; INVESTORS SEEKING GROWTH Top Key Players RevitaLife, US... - June 12th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Development Scenario and Forecast to 2027 - Jewish Life News - June 12th, 2020
- Elevated Thyrotropin Levels Associated With Severe Depression - Endocrinology Advisor - June 12th, 2020
- Mammography Equipment Market to Record Exponential Growth Owing to High Demand Through COVID 19 Pandemic - Cole of Duty - June 12th, 2020
- MTB racer Kate Weatherly shakes off transphobes with grit and grace - Outsports - June 12th, 2020
- Six ways lockdown is making the lives of trans people in Cambridge harder - Cambridgeshire Live - June 12th, 2020
- Community Link: Breast cancer risk factors and symptoms - WISHTV.com - June 12th, 2020
- Compounding Pharmacies Market Future Growth by In Depth Industry Analysis, Size, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 12th, 2020
- Bolton Wanderers fan beat cancer twice and backing campaign to help others - The Bolton News - June 12th, 2020
- Breast Ultrasound Systems Market global industry analysis and forecast 2025 interpreted by a new report - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 8th, 2020
- High Serum Levels of 'Forever Chemicals' Tied to Earlier Menopause - Medscape - June 7th, 2020
- We Cant Rely on the Systems That Everybody Else Relies On: Trans Texans Struggle With Health Care Access During COVID-19 - Texas Monthly - June 7th, 2020
- UC task force unable to reach agreement on how to move forward with Dignity Health partnerships, gives two recommendations - The Aggie - June 7th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2019-2027 - Jewish Life News - May 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Share, Demand and Current Forecast Analyzed (2018-2028) - The Cloud Tribune - May 29th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on How Innovation is Changing the Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market - Cole of... - May 29th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Expected to Deliver Dynamic Progression until 2028 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 : (COVID-19 UPDATE) Future Challenges and Industry Growth Outlook 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 27th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key... - May 27th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2029 - Germany English News - May 27th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Growth, Projections, Analysis, Trends and Forecast 2026| ALLERGAN, Novo Nordisk A/S, Sanofi,... - May 27th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Future Scope, Top Key Players And Forecast By... - Azizsalon News - May 23rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to See Ongoing Evolution 2027 | Novartis AG, Abbott Laboratories, Mylan N.V., Merck KgaA, Bayer AG, Pfizer Inc.,... - May 23rd, 2020
- Acer Therapeutics Discusses Developing COVID-19 Clinical Program, Next Steps with the FDA and Vision for 2020 in New Video Interview on SNN Network -... - May 23rd, 2020