Deepa and Allen had had it with their unhealthy lifestyle. Being friends, they started on their new health regime together, right from controlling food portion sizes to counting calories to cutting out binge weekends. They even joined the same gym. Allen chose to weight / strength train, which he would supplement with cardio. Deepa felt weights are not for girls and decided to stick to the treadmill, cycle and cross-trainer bike.
A month on, Deepa had lost three kilos, and Allen just one. Allen was a bit disappointed, but his gut feeling said he was on the right track. Deepa was jubilant, and kept giving Allen the I told you so look, irritating him no end.
Advertisement opens in new window
Three months later, it was Alle's turn to laugh (which he didn't). Deepas weight loss hadstagnated. However, Allen was five kilos lighter and was looking a lot leaner and muscular. Hisstamina and strength had improved, and his blood pressure and cholesterol levels had decreased.
What happened here?
More Muscle Burns More Fat
Many physiological reasons helped Allen lose weight. The biggest factor was that he acquired muscle mass with weight and strength training. What appeared to be a loss of one kilo of body weight in the first month was actually a loss of two kilos of fat and gain of one kilo of muscle.Meanwhile, Deepa lost three kilos of fat and muscle combined, but didnt gain any new musclefibres.
How does that matter?
Well, increased basal metabolism is probably the most obvious advantage of acquiring muscles. Simply put, the more muscle you carry, the more calories you burn. So, as Allen built more muscle, the rate at which he burnt calories went up.
Advertisement opens in new window
Muscle is denser than fat. A kilo of muscle takes less space than a kilo of fat. The density of muscle is 1.06 kilo/liter of space while fat is 0.9196 kilo / litre of space. So when Allen lost 10 kilos of fat and gained 5 kilos of muscle, though he lost only 5 kilos on the scale, he had actually become about 6.1 litre smaller.
This is also why you must stop taking your weighing scale as the absolute measure. Learn to trust your mirror and how you feel in your body.
Strength Training Doesnt Make Women Mannish Allen tried to convince Deepa to strength train. She had her reservations. She wanted to look like Katrina Kaif, not Arnold Schwarzenegger. She was scared that her body would develop extreme bulges that would ruin her femininity.
Nothing is farther from the truth. Women cannot look or be as muscular as men because they have relatively minor quantities of testosterone in their bodies. The stereotypical image of the female a bodybuilder that you see on the Internet is, more often than not, of models who chronically (mis)use androgenic compounds, which are synthetic versions of testosterone.
Advertisement opens in new window
The Truth of the MatterIn reality, strength training is more important for women than men. It increases bone density andreduces the risk of osteoporosis. It elevates endorphins, which improves mood and reduces stress. It also enhances body composition, hence self-esteem.
The challenge is to approach strength training without preconceived notions. Strength training is not synonymous with bodybuilding or powerlifting. It is a training model that builds health, fitness and performance in everyday people like us. Exercise is indispensable in this day and age. And if you have to choose, strength training is perhaps the best option.
We will be back next week on how to start a strength-training program. Keep watching thisspace!
Go here to see the original:
The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- Here's What Eating 12 Eggs a Day Did to This Guy's Body - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Sasapost (Egypt): you go to gym? These supplements are not as important and useful as you think - The KXAN 36 News - February 24th, 2020
- What is prostate cancer? Signs and symptoms of Bill Turnbulls condition - The Sun - February 24th, 2020
- Cut Mass, Not Muscle: The Basics of a Cutting Diet - Greatist - February 10th, 2020
- What I learned talking to 120 women about their sex lives and desires - The Guardian - February 10th, 2020
- Wh(e)y Protein? - The Indian Express - February 4th, 2020
- PERFECT HAIR-OLOGY - The News International - February 4th, 2020
- Is weight loss possible with PCOS? Foods to avoid and proven to help - Insider - INSIDER - February 4th, 2020
- After the Game Is Over - Harvard Medical School - February 2nd, 2020
- David Freeze: Robin and Isaac, on the way to better health - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - February 1st, 2020
- Bodybuilder dies of liver damage due to excessive intake of steroids, was preparing for competition in T - Mumbai Mirror - February 1st, 2020
- 11 ways hormonal imbalances affect your health - The Standard - February 1st, 2020
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? - Men's Journal - January 20th, 2020
- Testosterone deficiency in men with Type 2 diabetes: pathophysiology and treatment. - UroToday - January 20th, 2020
- What women should know about their reproductive system as they age - ABC News - January 20th, 2020
- In case you are shedding your sexual want, it can be as a result of those causes - Health Writeups - January 20th, 2020
- 7 Things That Happen to Our Skin, Bodies and Hair During Menopause - NewBeauty Magazine - January 15th, 2020
- Fasting and Breakfast - Is Eating in the Morning Good - Men's Health - January 15th, 2020
- How your height can predict your risk of cancer and heart disease - The Irish News - January 10th, 2020
- The best workout to do depending on what time of day it is - cosmopolitan.com - January 10th, 2020
- 9 Exercise Myths That Have Been Debunked by Science - Interesting Engineering - January 9th, 2020
- 10 Realistic Fitness Goals for 2020, And How to Actually Meet Them - InsideHook - January 8th, 2020
- 7 ways sleep deprivation is killing your health and career - Ladders - January 6th, 2020
- ANTONIA HOYLE reveals everything DOES go wrong at 40 but heres how you can fight back - Herald Publicist - December 16th, 2019
- Effects of Over-exercising on your body and brain. - Business Insider India - December 16th, 2019
- Just 30 Minutes of Exercise Could Be As Beneficial as an Hour, New Research Finds - Men's health UK - December 14th, 2019
- 5 healthy drinks to consume in the winter time | Latest world and US news and updates with bytebell.com - Byte Bell - December 11th, 2019
- Cryotherapy arrives in Sonoma - Sonoma Index-Tribune - December 8th, 2019
- What Causes Belly Fat and How to Get Rid of It - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 7th, 2019
- Diabetes may cause infertility in men; here are some precautionary measures - Business Standard - December 1st, 2019
- I can go for more than five months without my periods. Is it normal? - nation.co.ke - December 1st, 2019
- Ottawa Marathon third-place finisher provisionally suspended for EPO - Canadian Running Magazine - November 27th, 2019
- Teen Mom star Mackenzie McKee talks dramatic weight loss - Monsters and Critics - November 17th, 2019
- Dr. Wayne Bardin, 85, Innovative Researcher on Birth Control, Dies - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- Foods that flop your show in the bedroom - Jamaica Observer - November 17th, 2019
- Investigation on Oregon project following report of abuse - News Landed - November 17th, 2019
- Powerbuilding Basics How To Get Big And Strong At The Same Time - FitnessVolt.com - November 17th, 2019
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - October 20th, 2019
- Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019
- Testosterone Weight Loss Case Study: 20 # Lost with ... - March 6th, 2019
- How Increasing Testosterone Helps Weight Loss In Men Over 40 - November 23rd, 2018
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017