Its very difficult not to laugh while talking to David Dobrik. After just a few minutes of talking, the charm and sincerity that made the low-key everyman a YouTube sensation are clear. And, sincerely: He is not a gym rat. I was supposed to work out with my trainer today, but you called so I cancelled on it, he says. So, thank God for that.
He got his start on Vine, but Dobrik is best known for his YouTube vlogs, which have gone from pranks on his friends to and giving away cars and driving around L.A. with Kylie Jenner. Over the years hes amassed almost 18 million subscribers on YouTube, spinning the aforementioned charm to a truly massive audience. However, since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Dobrik stopped making vlogs. Hes decided to pause on his YouTube channel and take some time to experiment with other platforms and stay safe from the virus.
He talked to GQ on how hes filling his days during the pandemic, dealing with the stress of the YouTube grind, and winding down with his favorite candle.
GQ: What's your average day look like during the pandemic?
David Dobrik: My average day feels like it's just day and night. During the day, I'm waiting for it to become night and then at night, I'm waiting for it to become morning. It's getting so repetitive.
Usually I wake up around 10 or 11. I work with my roommate and we'll get on some Zoom calls. And then usually they'll go out and go on a run or they'll go work in the backyard and I'll make some sort of excuse where I have to shower, or I have to do some more important things [laughs]. But there have been a lot of days in a row where I've used some excuses to skip that part of the day.
Actually, I was supposed to work out with my trainer today, but you called so I cancelled on it. So, thank God for that.
Happy I could do that for you.
Next month, you know, I'll work with the trainer next month. There's gonna be lots of months in the future. I'm not the best at working out. I absolutely hate working out. I should say that: I hate lifting weights. I hate doing sit ups. I just dont understand activities where there's no clear goal or game involved. I love, love playing basketball and soccer. I love sports for a purpose and there's a winner or a loser in that moment. There's something about lifting weights that I find it's so boring. I just end up getting so angry by the end of it.
That's so funny to me, part of me has been dying during this whole thing because I can't lift weights. I'm like: Im gonna go to the gym and I have this super structured program that I'm following. It's all about certain numbers I need to be hitting.
Why do you do it? Are you seeing serious body changes? Is it like, the second you see a little change in your body you're addicted to it now? How does that work?
I enjoy the numbers aspect of it. I love watching like the strength gains you can makebeing like last month I couldn't lift this but now I can.
What you've done is you've built a game into what you're doing. So you go and you're competing against yourself, which is cool. I could never do it [laughs].
This is a me thing. I don't think anybody's ever had this problem, but when I grip weights and I'm like "Okay, I'm benching something." I get really in my head. I think about my hand around the weight and I think about how my veins are bending around the weight, and how the inside of my hand is looking and it grosses me out so much.
I don't think Ive ever heard somebody say that before.
I really love tennis, and tennis before quarantine happened. The courts were open and I could go out with a pro to play. It's a three-in-one because you get a work out, you have fun, and you get a tan. My favorite part about coming back from tennis is looking tan. I don't know why, I just love it, it feels like an added bonus.
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- Breast cancer treatment may be less effective in obese women - TheHealthSite - July 7th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: The refreshing drink proven to stabilise blood sugar levels - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Five at-home exercises for ripped abs, according to a personal trainer - Daily Star - July 7th, 2020
- New national study into long-term health impacts of COVID-19 launched - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- 7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Tesco worker lost 7 stone and dropped five dress sizes with this diet plan - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The urinary tract - Loma Linda University Health - June 22nd, 2020