The decision to start hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a big step for many women. Some wonder about the benefits of HRT, while others worry about possible effects from the treatment. Almost every woman who considers hormone replacement therapy appreciates information on the pros and cons of the therapy.
Approximately 80 percent of women who go through menopause experience symptoms and about one-fourth of these women experience severe symptoms of menopause. The symptoms of menopause can be more severe than many women anticipate, and symptoms can last longer than expected too. Night sweats and hot flashes can last for more than seven years in more than half of all women!
Doctors often prescribe hormone replacement therapy to treat moderate to severe menopause symptoms. Despite the benefits of HRT, only a small percentage of women in menopause use hormone replacement therapy.
Menopause is a time that marks the end of menstrual cycles. It means that a woman can no longer bear children because her ovaries, which produce eggs, no longer produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone, and a woman stops ovulating.
Menopause generally begins when a woman is in her late 40s or early 50s. The average age of menopause is 51 in the United States.
Symptoms of menopause can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. These symptoms can often interfere with a womans daily life. Menopause symptoms primarily include hot flashes, sleep problems due to night sweats, and vaginal changes, primarily dryness. Symptoms vary according to the levels of estrogen and progesterone, which tend to fluctuate as the ovaries stop functioning.
Hormone replacement therapy provides a number of benefits for women, especially for women suffering from symptoms of menopause. First, hormone replacement therapy helps women feel better. HRT also protects against bone loss and many other health conditions.
Hormonal fluctuations during peri-menopause cause uncomfortable symptoms HRT can alleviate those symptoms to help women feel more comfortable. Hormone replacement therapy is exceptionally good at relieving hot flashes, particularly at night.
HRT can improve vaginal health. Decreased moisture production can cause vaginal dryness. Loss of elasticity, coupled with vaginal dryness, can cause pain and even slight bleeding during intercourse. Reduced sensation may affect libido as well. Hormone therapy can help relieve dryness and increase moisture and sensation, making sex more pleasurable. Loss of tissue elasticity can affect the vagina and urethra, which is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside world. Loss of elasticity here can cause sudden, frequent and strong urges to urinate. It can even cause urinary incontinence, which is the leaking of urine from the bladder. Women in menopause may even have urinary tract infections (UTIs) more frequently. Hormones help maintain elasticity and muscle tone in the bladder and urethra, helping resolve embarrassing symptoms.
HRT protects bones. Estrogen, produced by the ovaries, helps keep bones strong. Estrogen decreases sharply when a woman reaches menopause and this leaves her vulnerable to osteoporosis, a condition characterized by weak bones. Osteoporosis increases the risk of bone fractures of the hip and spine. In fact, one in every two women over the age of 50 will suffer a bone fracture due to osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation. Hormone replacement therapy restores estrogen to levels high enough to protect bones from osteoporosis and fractures. Maintaining estrogen levels after menopause essentially stops bone loss.
Hormone replacement therapy can protect women from other health problems too. Estrogen is important to heart health, for example, so when estrogen drops because of menopause, the risk of heart problems increases. HRT can even reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Hormone replacement therapy can even present unexpected benefits that everyone can love. These HRT benefits include boosted collagen production, increased skin thickness, and decreased wrinkles that defy the signs of aging. Hormone replacement therapy even lowers the percentage of body fat and decreases fat around hips and thighs.
As with all medications, hormone replacement therapy does present a risk of side effects. The main concern for women is an increased cancer risk. This is where the type of hormones used is key. Synthetic progesterone, marketed under the brand name Provera, for instance, increases breast cancer risk.
However, bio-identical progesterone actually decreases breast cancer risk as well as an endometrial cancer risk. The use of estrogen therapy may cause the uterus to grow, which increases the risk of uterine cancer; but this is only if a woman does not take progesterone to counter the effects of estrogen on the uterus.
Because of the potential for side effects, the choice to undergo hormone replacement therapy should be done only with a physician trained in bioidentical hormones. Not synthetic hormones, which can be risky. Working with a professional who can provide a personal assessment of healthcare wants and needs is helpful. A doctor can prescribe a personalized hormone replacement therapy to fit a patients needs, reduce their symptoms, improve their quality of life, and decrease their risk for virtually every degenerative disease of aging.
Want to find out if youre at risk for hormone decline? First, take our scientifically based hormone decline risk assessment completely free (takes no more than 5 minutes).
After completing it, you will find out your risk level for hormone decline and, most importantly, how to proceed with beating your symptoms.Click hereto take the male version, andclick hereto take the female version.
Then, if youre interested in learning more about our comprehensive Age Management & Hormone Optimization program,contact us through this formto schedule your free consultation, or call us at323-874-9355.
Go here to read the rest:
The Pros & Cons of Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women
- In the Wrong Body - Teen Girl to Teen Boy - Deutsche Welle - February 24th, 2020
- How to survive the menopause despite UK's shortage of vital HRT drugs - Mirror Online - February 24th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Forecast and Opportunities 2020 Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer, Mylan Laboratories - News Parents - February 24th, 2020
- 'I will euthanise myself before I go into aged care': how aged care is failing LGBTI+ people - The Conversation AU - February 24th, 2020
- Want to Transition? There's an App for That - VICE - February 24th, 2020
- Everything you hear about breast cancer is not true - Gulf Today - February 24th, 2020
- How Hormone Replacement Therapy Increases Energy Levels - February 18th, 2020
- Once and for all: Hormone replacement is good for women ... - February 18th, 2020
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Cancer - National Cancer ... - February 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Results & Side Effects - February 18th, 2020
- 9 Side Effects Of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) - February 18th, 2020
- NovaGenix Hormone Therapy & Anti Aging Clinic in Jupiter ... - February 18th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy Doctors in Georgia, Testosterone ... - February 18th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy Formulations Offer Different Levels of Heart Protection - Everyday Health - February 18th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Analysis, Industry Size, Share, Trends, Application Analysis and Growth Opportunities Forecast... - February 18th, 2020
- Has Marvel Featured a Prominent #Trans Character Under The Radar for a Year-And-A-Half? - Bleeding Cool News - February 18th, 2020
- Hormon replacement therapy Market Comprehensive Analysis Along With Leading Growth Drivers, Recent Development, Trends and Restraints - Sound On Sound... - February 18th, 2020
- The dire state of sexual and reproductive health education in schools - Health-e News - February 18th, 2020
- Why your heart needs extra love and care during menopause - WLTX.com - February 10th, 2020
- What Is At Stake In The FDA's Action Against HRT - Anti Aging News - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Fulton - Providing a High-Quality of Care for His Patients for Over 20 Years -Simpatra.Health - PR.com - February 10th, 2020
- My future mother-in-law wants me to get a job but Im transitioning and stressed out: Ask Ellie - Toronto Star - February 10th, 2020
- Progesterone During Pregnancy Could Prevent Thousands of Miscarriages - Healthline - February 5th, 2020
- Women faces months waiting for out-of-stock hormone replacement therapy treatments - Evening Standard - February 3rd, 2020
- Evaluate stance on hormone replacement therapy due to risks - The Straits Times - February 3rd, 2020
- Heart Disease Risk Grows as Women Move Through Menopause - Newswise - February 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Display Lucrative Growth Opportunities Until 2028 - MENAFN.COM - February 3rd, 2020
- Finasteride Market to trace exponential gain till 2025; boosted by the alopecia treatment industry - Technology Magazine - February 3rd, 2020
- The menopause isnt so scary that young women need to sign up for costly surgery - The Guardian - February 3rd, 2020
- Child rapist having the time of his life preparing for womens prison after claiming to be trans - Lifesite - February 3rd, 2020
- Hot flushes and HRT: everything you need to know about the menopause explained - The National - February 3rd, 2020
- Putting the spotlight on womens cardiac health - The Daily Star - February 3rd, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market Size : Increase in Government Initiative to Boost the Market by 2027 - Med News Ledger - February 3rd, 2020
- Age Healthier and Live Happier with Biote - FOX 31 Denver - January 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market key Insights Based on Product Type, End-use and Regional Demand Till 2028 - MENAFN.COM - January 28th, 2020
- Qatar- HMC's Thyroid Unit records increase in malignant cancer cases diagnosed each year - MENAFN.COM - January 28th, 2020
- Why the link between the menopause and Alzheimer's isn't all bad news for midlife women - Telegraph.co.uk - January 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Witness a Highest Growth in Near Future | Eli Lilly, Abbott, Pfizer, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Expedition 99 - January 28th, 2020
- Healthier living and happier living with Biote - Techno EA - January 28th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Drive Amazing Growth by 2025 | Pfizer, BioSante Pharmaceuticals and Amgen - News Ledger 24 - January 28th, 2020
- From licking donuts to smuggling illegal drugs, these are arrests of ridiculous celebrities - Up News Info - January 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market by Scope, Growth Prospective, Application & Forecast - Vital News 24 - January 24th, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) - NHS - January 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Witness Highest Growth In Near Future | Amgen, Inc., Novo Nordisk, Eli Lily Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Lucrative Opportunities - Melanian News - January 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Segmented by Application, Growth, Trends, Regions & Forecast to 2027 - Melanian News - January 22nd, 2020
- At US$ 13366.5 Mn Reached Compounding Pharmacies Market With 7.5% CAGR Value In The Year of 2025 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Trump-appointed judge rules trans people have no right to be called by their personal pronouns - LGBTQ Nation - January 22nd, 2020
- What Is Perimenopause And How Young Can It Start? : Shots - Health News - NPR - January 19th, 2020
- Hormone replacement is helping patients stay healthy later in life. - WWLTV.com - January 19th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Touching New Level A Comprehensive Study With Key Players Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- A New Bill Is Trying to Criminalize Lifesaving Healthcare for Trans Teens - Tonic - January 19th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market : Trends and Future Applications - Fusion Science Academy - January 19th, 2020
- Hypertension Starts Years Earlier in Women Than Men, Serial BP Shows - TCTMD - January 19th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Set to Record Exponential Growth by 2025 with Top Key Players-Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer, Mylan... - January 19th, 2020
- Xemself, Eirself, and Verself: U.S. Appeals Court Wont Go There - Forbes - January 15th, 2020
- 'Why We Can't Sleep' Can't Convince - Book and Film Globe - January 15th, 2020
- Home - Happy Hormone Cottage - January 13th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy After Hysterectomy - January 13th, 2020
- Male Hormone Replacement Therapy | Endocrinology | Dartmouth ... - January 13th, 2020
- North America Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Expected to Generate a Value of US $4.7 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - January 13th, 2020
- We Are A Safe Space: Center In Beaver County Aiming To Help LGBTQ Community And Break Stigmas - CBS Pittsburgh - January 13th, 2020
- Bayer and Dar Bioscience Announce Exclusive Licensing Agreement for US Commercial Rights to Ovaprene , an Investigational Hormone-Free, Monthly... - January 13th, 2020
- Recent Growth in Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (Hrt) Market Quantitative and Qualitative, Innovation in Technology, Expected to Witness Rapid... - January 13th, 2020
- Continuing to break the taboo around menopause in 2020 - Echo Live - January 13th, 2020
- Thinking of menopausal hormone therapy? Here's what you can expect from your GP - The Conversation AU - January 12th, 2020
- CHP's Dr. Stoepker helping to change the landscape of accessible health care for LGBTQ infividuals | - theberkshireedge.com - January 12th, 2020
- Protagonist Therapeutics Initiates Phase 2 Study of Novel Hepcidin Mimetic PTG-300 in the Treatment of Patients with Hereditary Hemochromatosis |... - January 8th, 2020
- BAVENCIO Significantly Improved Overall Survival in Patients With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma - PRNewswire - January 8th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Perspective with Study of Leading Players and Revenue to Significant Growth Forecast by 2030 - Instanews247 - January 8th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Analysis by Recent Developments and Research 2020 to 2026 - Market Research Sheets - January 6th, 2020
- The Top Five News Stories In Iceland Of 2019 - Reykjavk Grapevine - January 6th, 2020
- Cathy, 31, tells of the agony she suffered as she went through menopause at just 13 - The Sun - January 6th, 2020
- Republican politician introduces law to ban trans athletes from playing on teams that match their gender identity - PinkNews - January 6th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Report 2019 Significant Trends and Factors Driving the Market Development Forecast to 2025 - Market... - December 31st, 2019
- Pregnant women can reduce their blood clot risk on flights - Japan Today - December 31st, 2019
- Experts offer tips to help pregnant women traveling by air reduce risk of blood clots - PhillyVoice.com - December 31st, 2019
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Pegged for Robust Expansion During 2017 2027 - Market Reports Observer - December 31st, 2019
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Global Sales, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin Forecast To 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019