The decision to start hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a big step for many women. Some wonder about the benefits of HRT, while others worry about possible effects from the treatment. Almost every woman who considers hormone replacement therapy appreciates information on the pros and cons of the therapy.
Approximately 80 percent of women who go through menopause experience symptoms and about one-fourth of these women experience severe symptoms of menopause. The symptoms of menopause can be more severe than many women anticipate, and symptoms can last longer than expected too. Night sweats and hot flashes can last for more than seven years in more than half of all women!
Doctors often prescribe hormone replacement therapy to treat moderate to severe menopause symptoms. Despite the benefits of HRT, only a small percentage of women in menopause use hormone replacement therapy.
Menopause is a time that marks the end of menstrual cycles. It means that a woman can no longer bear children because her ovaries, which produce eggs, no longer produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone, and a woman stops ovulating.
Menopause generally begins when a woman is in her late 40s or early 50s. The average age of menopause is 51 in the United States.
Symptoms of menopause can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. These symptoms can often interfere with a womans daily life. Menopause symptoms primarily include hot flashes, sleep problems due to night sweats, and vaginal changes, primarily dryness. Symptoms vary according to the levels of estrogen and progesterone, which tend to fluctuate as the ovaries stop functioning.
Hormone replacement therapy provides a number of benefits for women, especially for women suffering from symptoms of menopause. First, hormone replacement therapy helps women feel better. HRT also protects against bone loss and many other health conditions.
Hormonal fluctuations during peri-menopause cause uncomfortable symptoms HRT can alleviate those symptoms to help women feel more comfortable. Hormone replacement therapy is exceptionally good at relieving hot flashes, particularly at night.
HRT can improve vaginal health. Decreased moisture production can cause vaginal dryness. Loss of elasticity, coupled with vaginal dryness, can cause pain and even slight bleeding during intercourse. Reduced sensation may affect libido as well. Hormone therapy can help relieve dryness and increase moisture and sensation, making sex more pleasurable. Loss of tissue elasticity can affect the vagina and urethra, which is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside world. Loss of elasticity here can cause sudden, frequent and strong urges to urinate. It can even cause urinary incontinence, which is the leaking of urine from the bladder. Women in menopause may even have urinary tract infections (UTIs) more frequently. Hormones help maintain elasticity and muscle tone in the bladder and urethra, helping resolve embarrassing symptoms.
HRT protects bones. Estrogen, produced by the ovaries, helps keep bones strong. Estrogen decreases sharply when a woman reaches menopause and this leaves her vulnerable to osteoporosis, a condition characterized by weak bones. Osteoporosis increases the risk of bone fractures of the hip and spine. In fact, one in every two women over the age of 50 will suffer a bone fracture due to osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation. Hormone replacement therapy restores estrogen to levels high enough to protect bones from osteoporosis and fractures. Maintaining estrogen levels after menopause essentially stops bone loss.
Hormone replacement therapy can protect women from other health problems too. Estrogen is important to heart health, for example, so when estrogen drops because of menopause, the risk of heart problems increases. HRT can even reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Hormone replacement therapy can even present unexpected benefits that everyone can love. These HRT benefits include boosted collagen production, increased skin thickness, and decreased wrinkles that defy the signs of aging. Hormone replacement therapy even lowers the percentage of body fat and decreases fat around hips and thighs.
As with all medications, hormone replacement therapy does present a risk of side effects. The main concern for women is an increased cancer risk. This is where the type of hormones used is key. Synthetic progesterone, marketed under the brand name Provera, for instance, increases breast cancer risk.
However, bio-identical progesterone actually decreases breast cancer risk as well as an endometrial cancer risk. The use of estrogen therapy may cause the uterus to grow, which increases the risk of uterine cancer; but this is only if a woman does not take progesterone to counter the effects of estrogen on the uterus.
Because of the potential for side effects, the choice to undergo hormone replacement therapy should be done only with a physician trained in bioidentical hormones. Not synthetic hormones, which can be risky. Working with a professional who can provide a personal assessment of healthcare wants and needs is helpful. A doctor can prescribe a personalized hormone replacement therapy to fit a patients needs, reduce their symptoms, improve their quality of life, and decrease their risk for virtually every degenerative disease of aging.
Want to find out if youre at risk for hormone decline? First, take our scientifically based hormone decline risk assessment completely free (takes no more than 5 minutes).
After completing it, you will find out your risk level for hormone decline and, most importantly, how to proceed with beating your symptoms.Click hereto take the male version, andclick hereto take the female version.
Then, if youre interested in learning more about our comprehensive Age Management & Hormone Optimization program,contact us through this formto schedule your free consultation, or call us at323-874-9355.
Go here to read the rest:
The Pros & Cons of Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women
- Hormone therapy tied to Alzheimer's risk, study says, but ... - October 10th, 2019
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) | healthdirect - October 2nd, 2019
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) - mymedsuk.com - October 1st, 2019
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Renew Health ... - May 24th, 2019
- Hormone Replacement Therapy New York - NY Vitality - April 30th, 2019
- 2027 Hormone Replacement Therapy Market New Principle And ... - April 16th, 2019
- Trans* Florida Hormone Replacement Therapy - April 14th, 2019
- Tampa Hormone Replacement Therapy - Tampa Rejuvenation - April 14th, 2019
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) - NHS inform - April 14th, 2019
- Youth Institute BHRT | Bioidentical Hormone Replacement ... - March 25th, 2019
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Optimal Health - March 12th, 2019
- Hormone Replacement Therapy in New Jersey - HealthGains - December 12th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy San Antonio - December 10th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: Who Is a Candidate ... - December 10th, 2018
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy - The Menopause ... - December 10th, 2018
- The Pros & Cons of Hormone Replacement Therapy for Primal ... - December 10th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | INTEGRIS - December 10th, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for ... - BioTE Medical - December 4th, 2018
- What to Know Now About Hormone Replacement Therapy - December 4th, 2018
- Menopause - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2018
- West Palm Beach, Florida - Hormone Replacement Therapy in ... - November 27th, 2018
- Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy in Florida | Genemedics - November 27th, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy in Washington ... - November 2nd, 2018
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy | BHRT | BioTE ... - November 2nd, 2018
- Hormone Health | Benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Menopause treatment | womenshealth.gov - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement - Absolute Pharmacy - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy :Yes or No?: How to Make an ... - October 1st, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy | Natural Bio Health - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women | Natural Bio Health - October 1st, 2018
- Hormonal Therapy for Treating Breast Cancer | Breastcancer.org - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - San Antonio, TX - Infertility ... - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy in Norman, Oklahoma | BHC - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Greensboro - Coley Cosmetic - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Baton Rouge, Lafayette - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Therapy Clinic San Antonio | HRT for Women & Men - October 1st, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy | Your Wellness Center - August 25th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Replacement & HGH Injections - August 25th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) | International ... - August 25th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Hormonal Imbalance Treatment - April 28th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Doctors in New York - HRT ... - April 20th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Ideal Physician Weight Loss - March 29th, 2018
- Hormone replacement therapy - NHS Direct Wales - March 23rd, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | HRT | Menopause | MedlinePlus - March 4th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Hormone Doctor | Elite HRT - January 10th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Cincinnati, OH | Blue Ash HRT - December 7th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Your Wellness Center - December 7th, 2017
- HRT: Hormone replacement therapy Q&A - WebMD Boots - December 3rd, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Natural Alternatives Dr ... - November 2nd, 2017
- hormone replacement therapy - North American Menopause ... - November 2nd, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Menopause - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men: What to Know - September 27th, 2017
- Vaginal estrogen not tied to cancer or heart disease risks - Reuters - September 7th, 2017
- Making your way through Menopause - WOWT - September 7th, 2017
- Menopause updates - ModernMedicine - September 6th, 2017
- Edina clinic ranked in top 10 in state - The Sun Current - September 6th, 2017
- 10 questions every woman should ask about menopause - New York Daily News - September 4th, 2017
- Does Post-Menopausal Hormone Replacement Heighten Sexual Function? - MedPage Today - September 4th, 2017
- 'Trans identities are identities, and not a condition,' says advocacy ... - CBC.ca - September 4th, 2017
- Hormone pellets offer menopause symptom relief - WZVN-TV - September 4th, 2017
- Novo Nordisk A/S (NYSE:NVO) Closed 7.1% Above Its 50 Day Moving Average - Modern Readers - September 4th, 2017
- 10 Transgender People Share What They Wish They Knew Before Transitioning - SELF - August 29th, 2017
- Queer Student Union revamps for fall semester - College Heights Herald - August 29th, 2017
- Transgender bathroom battle could be headed back to Supreme Court - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- Wales' first transgender healthcare clinic set for Cardiff - BBC News - August 26th, 2017
- A tale of transition - QNotes - August 26th, 2017
- Transgender YouTubers had their videos grabbed to train facial recognition software - The Verge - August 23rd, 2017
- How I regenerated along with 'Doctor Who' - Syfy - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- Being on the brink of puberty is scary and expensive for this transgender kid and her family - KRCU - August 23rd, 2017
- HRT skin patch 'has less stroke risk' than pills, study - Gears Of Biz - August 21st, 2017
- Being on the brink of puberty is scary and expensive for this transgender kid and her family - KBIA - August 21st, 2017
- Md. Medicaid should cover trans-specific care - Baltimore Sun - August 13th, 2017
- What's the Cultural Impact of Transgender Characters on TV? - Newsweek - August 13th, 2017
- Transitioning: Controversy, corrections and new-found peace, Misty Lane is finally finding happiness with herself - Douglas Budget - August 13th, 2017
- Niwot author pioneers interventions for Autoimmune Disease - Left Hand Valley Courier - August 13th, 2017
- Why Some Are Saying Marijuana May Increase Stroke And Heart Failure - The Fresh Toast - August 11th, 2017
- Top five misconceptions about menopause - Starts at 60 - August 11th, 2017
- Women more at risk of stroke. - Story | WeAreCentralPA | WTAJ - WTAJ - August 11th, 2017
- Jillian Bearden Starts the Colorado Classic as the First US Transgender Woman in a Pro Tour - Bicycling - August 10th, 2017
- Stroke Rates Drop for US Men, But Not Women - Sioux City Journal - August 10th, 2017