Comments about being bad and taking leftover dessert or eating another portion, or claims about having to make it up later with exercise just grate on me," she says.
"I usually just respond with a shrug and a food has no moral value, but it depends on the day. Sometimes Im just so tired of it that it seems pointless to even try.
While many dread returning to work after the holiday season, other peoples New Year's resolutions can add another layer of anxiety. Common resolutions are weight or health-based join a gym, diet and, although not harmful in and of themselves, the way they are brought into the workplace can be.
Dieting and body image talk are triggering for people who have had or who have an eating disorder they may trigger a relapse into eating and/or weight and shape preoccupations and behaviours such as binge eating, fasting or purging," says Professor Phillipa Hay, foundation chair of mental health at Western Sydney University.
Michelle Sperling, the Butterfly Foundations national manager of treatment and support, notes the issues that can arise from diet and negative body image talk in the workplace.
Negative comparison between colleagues regarding weight, shape, appearance or even the meals they are eating is something that can occur as a result of such conversations in an office environment," Sperling says.
"We know that when people make negative comparisons as such, they are more likely to engage in dangerous eating and exercise behaviours.
Allison, who works in the legal industry, has been questioned about why she is eating something weird at lunch so many times that she usually opts to eat at her desk instead, a move Sperling says isn't uncommon.
People isolate themselves at mealtimes from colleagues or they avoid work events so they arent left feeling uncomfortable.
Jasmine, who works in the financial services industry, has a colleague who opts to not eat lunch at all, but still joins her coworkers in the break room to talk to them about how bad their food is and why she cant eat it. So many people complained that HR eventually intervened, but the negative diet talk has continued.
I feel fine," she says of the comments. "But some people felt uncomfortable, so now they just dont go into the break room as much.
Given the ubiquity of New Years resolutions, what can be done to avoid the negative impact of diet talk in the workplace?
Professor Hay suggests information on eating disorders and potential negative impacts of diet and body image talk in the workplace should be included in workplace safety training for all staff, given at least one in 20 Australians will deal with an eating disorder in their lifetime.
Professor Hay also suggested workplaces where there may be a higher risk of disordered eating, such as dance companies, undergo eating disorder and mental health first aid training.
For Sperling, it is managers who should be creating a culture where employees aren't talking about weight, shape or appearance, and instead focus more on how a person is feeling.
Sperling also stressed the importance of fostering a body neutral environment, which could include putting up signs in the office that promote body acceptance, hosting events that celebrate body positivity, and holding workshops for staff regarding the impact of negative diet and body image talk in the workplace.
Butterfly Foundation National Helpline 1800 33 4673.
Go here to read the rest:
The problem with talking about your 'naughty' afternoon snack at work - The Age
- Weight loss story: This guy followed the Keto diet and lost 11 kilos in just 2 months! This is his diet - Times of India - February 24th, 2020
- Five ways to improve flexibility - The Guardian - February 24th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 6 easy ways to burn visceral fat, feel fitter and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - February 24th, 2020
- The importance of checking your blood pressure regularly - FOX 31 Denver - February 24th, 2020
- Staying heart healthy: What you need to know at the end of Heart Health Month - KRDO - February 24th, 2020
- Two Million People Could Be Diabetic In The Next 5 Years: Know The Best Preventive Tips For Keeping Type 2 Diabetes Away - Doctor NDTV - February 24th, 2020
- Signs Of Heart Disease When There Are No Obvious Symptoms - KERA News - February 24th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet scores another win for longevity by improving microbiome - CNN - February 24th, 2020
- The Sirtfood Diet: The 411 On Adeles Weight Loss Method - Momtastic - February 24th, 2020
- Signal of high blood pressure that you can find surprisingly in your hair - NewsDio - February 24th, 2020
- Prevention is key to maintaining a healthy heart - centraljersey.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Human Condition: When that long walk for exercise takes you to the ice cream parlor - The Advocate - February 22nd, 2020
- The Old Guy: Loving support for a partner with health concerns - SILive.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Foods That Help Ease Menopausal Symptoms - Everyday Health - February 22nd, 2020
- The Full List of Foods You Can Eat on the Noom Diet - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Kelly Ripa, 49, Quit Drinking and Eats an Alkaline Diet to Look and Feel Her Best - Prevention.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Mark Spitz: The Real-Life Diet of the Legendary Swimmer Who Still Does Imaginary Races Against Michael Phelps - GQ - February 22nd, 2020
- Father Forced His 9-Year-Old Daughter to Adopt Strict Diet and Exercise Regimen - Distractify - February 22nd, 2020
- Looking to Build a Stronger Butt? Here Are 5 Foods to Eat (and 2 to Avoid) - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 22nd, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: The alternative exercise proven to reduce harmful belly fat - Express - February 22nd, 2020
- Fad of Matching Diet to DNA Ineffective, New Study Shows - The Great Courses Daily News - February 22nd, 2020
- Chin up vs pull up: what's the difference, muscles worked and WHAT IS THE BEST ONE? - T3 - February 22nd, 2020
- Flexitarian diet: All you need to know about this balanced diet option - Republic World - Republic World - February 22nd, 2020
- The Irish Times view on the Mediterranean diet: good for the gut - The Irish Times - February 22nd, 2020
- Benefits, fun can be found by getting fit in a group - The Robesonian - February 22nd, 2020
- DNA Diet Hailed as Key to Weight Loss, But Don't Bet Your Genes On It - Celebrity Health & Fitness - February 22nd, 2020
- Tips on using diet and exercise to prevent heart disease - WISHTV.com - February 19th, 2020
- Exercise Makes It Easier To Maintain A Healthy Diet, Doesnt Cause Increased Appetite - Study Finds - February 19th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet scores another win for longevity by improving microbiome - KTVZ - February 19th, 2020
- As Wave of Baby Boomers Enter Retirement, Journey Capital and SilverPoint Senior Living Team Up to Build Modern Senior Living Communities - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2020
- Personal trainers given tools to spot 'red flags' of eating disorders - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 19th, 2020
- How to eat, sleep, train and boost your mood during your menstrual cycle - Telegraph.co.uk - February 19th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to combine intermittent fasting & keto to lose weight, as per this guy who lost 33 kg - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- Joel Reece encourages students to know their eating habits and avoid excessive refined carbohydrates - Ke Alakai - February 15th, 2020
- What Really Happens to Your Body When You Lose 10 Pounds - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 15th, 2020
- Gearing up for my annual battle with cabin fever - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - February 15th, 2020
- Various classes offer students and community opportunities to practice mindfulness - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 15th, 2020
- What we can all learn from Henry Cavill's health and wellbeing rituals - harpersbazaar.com - February 15th, 2020
- Using the bodys natural cycle to improve shift workers health - Medical News Today - February 15th, 2020
- Disordered Eating and Compulsive Exercise in Collegiate Athletes: Applications for Sport and Research - United States Sports Academy Sports Journal - February 15th, 2020
- Springfield Hospital Looks To Sever Ties With Clinics In Bankruptcy Plan - Vermont Public Radio - February 15th, 2020
- Following a keto diet could weaken your bones and increase your risk of injury - Luton Today - February 15th, 2020
- Start your Health Journey with Live Well Exercise Clinic - North Shore News - February 15th, 2020
- NewsRadio 1120 KMOX Released an Interview With STL Beds Owners and Family Members Dave and Doug Belleville - PR Web - February 15th, 2020
- Leg Cramps on Keto: Causes, Treatment, and More - Healthline - February 15th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for February 14 - Mumbai Mirror - February 15th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani Reveals 15 Things She Does To Look So Young - TheThings - February 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about carbs - 9Honey - February 15th, 2020
- The Best Diet And Fitness Tips Kate Middleton Swears By - Women's Health - February 12th, 2020
- Is there a connection between diabetes and heart health? - Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- FHN News: 20 tips for a healthy heart this Valentines Day - Freeport Journal-Standard - February 12th, 2020
- Bob Roper | The fires of California: Past the tipping point? - YubaNet - February 12th, 2020
- This Research-Backed Trick Can Help Healthy Eating Stick - Runner's World - February 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: Do this much exercise each week to increase your life expectancy - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Steps to Improve and Maintain Your Heart Health - DeKalb Daily Chronicle - February 12th, 2020
- This Man Lost 82 Pounds Through Fasting and Tackling the Carnivore Diet - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Reducing the Risks - outsmartmagazine.com - February 12th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting is the best diet for weight loss, but the Mediterranean diet is easier to stick to and healthier overall, study finds - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- What is the alkaline diet and can it lead to weight loss? - ABC News - February 12th, 2020
- Embracing Your Postpartum Body And Ignoring The Pressure To "Bounce Back" - GirlTalkHQ - February 12th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield fitness: This Morning presenter reveals how he stays in shape - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Diabetes support group's good start The Voice - The Spalding and South Holland Voice - February 12th, 2020
- Lifestyle secrets of some of the worlds oldest people - Daily Nation - February 12th, 2020
- Executives reveal which fad diets actually work - The Australian Financial Review - February 12th, 2020
- A Cigarette in One Hand and a Fitbit on the Other - Medscape - February 12th, 2020
- These 4 Industries Trending for Growth This Year - Small Business Trends - February 9th, 2020
- Beyond Drug Therapy: Comprehensive lung cancer treatment approach at Ohio State integrates diet, exercise, physical therapy and relaxation techniques... - February 9th, 2020
- The power of aerobic exercise - The New Times - February 9th, 2020
- Lose visceral fat: How to get rid of the dangerous belly fat - four steps to follow - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Expert reveals fat-busting diet plan - what can you eat? - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Happy Meals: Making Positive Change To Diet Also Helps Ward Off Depression - Study Finds - February 9th, 2020
- What is the effect of optimism on diet quality? - Medical News Bulletin - February 9th, 2020
- Lifestyle secrets of some of the world's oldest people - nation.co.ke - February 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What parents should know and do - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - February 9th, 2020
- Psychiatric practice opened in The Mill - observer-me.com - February 9th, 2020
- Add Fat to Diet the Healthy Way by Avoiding These Common Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 9th, 2020
- Save Money: Lose Weight: Are the Eat Yourself Healthy and Pegan diet easy to follow? - Express - February 9th, 2020
- The art of ageing gracefully - Daily Pioneer - February 9th, 2020
- Compare popular diets in one place with the help of a nutritionist - ABC News - February 9th, 2020
- Taylor Swift And The Gray Area Of Disordered Eating - BuzzFeed News - February 9th, 2020