By Naveed Rozais
While May is the official month designated to celebrate and raise awareness on mens health issues, November too has in recent years gained global popularity as a month in which to raise awareness and provoke discussion on mens health issues such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mens mental health, and mens suicide.
Known globally as Movember, the concept of Movember was initially introduced by Australian charity organisation The Movember Foundation. Movember began as a month-long initiative that encouraged men across the world to grow their moustaches in the month of November to build awareness on mens issues (Movember itself is a portmanteau of the Australian slang for moustache mo and November).
It is important that we acknowledge that men sometimes have unique needs, and their perceptions of illness and wellness may be different to what is commonly understood Counselling psychologist and psychotherapist Nivendra Uduman
This Movember, The Sunday Morning Brunch sits down with several influential Sri Lankan men for their perspective on mens health, building awareness, and what we can do to make a difference. This week, we spoke with counselling psychologist and psychotherapist Nivendra Uduman for his views on mens health issues and mens mental health.
Uduman shared that mens health is an under-discussed issue, particularly in the Sri Lankan context, and that male mental health, sexual health, and other aspects of physical health are issues that are not always addressed in our system.
It is important that we acknowledge that men sometimes have unique needs, and their perceptions of illness and wellness may be different to what is commonly understood, Uduman said, adding: Globally, we know that men tend to take their health more lightly than people of other genders, and this is often linked with alcohol use, unidentified/undiagnosed mental illness, and the stigma surrounding men seeking help.
This is no different in Sri Lanka, though there has been an increase in young men between the age range of 16-35 seeking help for mental health problems in the recent past which is very encouraging.
Below are more excerpts of his conversation with The Sunday Morning Brunch.
What are the biggest issues you feel men face in terms of health and wellness?
Men historically have had to face significant challenges with health and wellbeing throughout their lifespan for a number of reasons. Middle-aged and older men are often left out of the conversation around health and wellbeing, and their specific needs are not always addressed. Concerns around fatherhood, andropause, and post-retirement mental health are examples of conversations that are neglected in our society.
Another significant issue that intersects with all of the above is our ideas around masculinity and what it means to be a man. Something I often hear in my work with male individuals in therapy is I need to fix my problems on my own. There is resistance to being vulnerable, asking for help, expressing ones emotions, and, most importantly, soothing oneself using healthy strategies.
Ideas of being stoic, tough, and the conditioning that many men receive over the course of childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood make it difficult to acknowledge ones feelings and to accept support. We have to change the narrative around health and wellbeing. By seeking help, one is taking action and taking control over ones concerns. The powerful metaphor of putting on your oxygen mask first before helping the person next to you on an aeroplane comes to mind when I think about how, when men begin to really care for themselves, it makes it easier for them to look after those they care about and love.
What is lacking in mens mental health discussions?
This is not an easy question to answer, because we hardly have any conversations about mens health in Sri Lanka. There are advocates and people who are really passionate about making the effort every day, but these conversations are only reaching a particular segment of society. This has to be a more inclusive discussion. There are efforts when its International Mens Day or when its November every year, but I believe we need a more sustainable approach.
What can we do to provoke discussion and create safe spaces for men to talk about their health, and particularly their mental health, openly?
We have to get creative about making safe spaces for men to talk about their health and wellbeing this involves physical, psychological, and social health. There needs to be opportunities for men to create meaningful connections in their lives. A typical therapy room or a doctors office may not suffice, but taking it out into the community through sport, the workplace, support groups, and more focused awareness can really help create change.
What message do you feel is most important to share this Movember?
We need more men to come out, to speak about their experiences, and to encourage other men to care for themselves. Our healthcare system or a few advocates cannot do this alone. This has to be a collective effort. We have to combat the stigma and shame around male health and normalise the experience of caring for ones body, mind, and spirit.
Sri Lanka has several crisis hotlines for those in need of mental health support. If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal or otherwise at risk emotionally or mentally, please reach out on the following hotlines:
- Do you have symptoms of low testosterone? - KTAR.com - December 18th, 2020
- Phoenix Hormone Replacement Therapy Mental Wellness Anxiety Relief Launched - Newswire - November 30th, 2020
- Understanding the andropause. - High50 - November 28th, 2020
- Irish men urged not to ignore andropause symptoms - Agriland - November 16th, 2020
- Andropause: Not the same as menopause but needs to be addressed - The Star Online - October 30th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017