You have probably heard of the menopause in women, but did you know men go through a similar hormonal change as they age? The male menopause, or andropause, is often triggered when men reach their 40s.
In fact, as many as 30 per cent of men can expect some sort of physical change to their bodies when they reach this age. But with such little exposure to information, this sudden shift in mental attitude and physical ability can come as a real shock.
The male menopause is the name given to an age-related change in the hormone levels of men. There are several factors which could cause a person to enter this stage of their life.
Some of the most common include:
Increasing SHBG levels
Reduced pituitary function
Reduced production of testosterone by the testicles
Increasing insulin resistance/onset of diabetes.
In all of these cases, its the dramatic reduction in the amount of testosterone the body produces which causes the menopause to kick in. While these factors wont affect everyone as they age, it can have a huge impact on individuals who do see a dip in production.
Testosterone is a hormone which has been closely associated with the concept of being manly for decades. And while things are a little less black and white than that, its certainly true that the amount a man produces will have a direct impact on his behaviour and physical and mental health.
There are a host of areas which are controlled by the amount of testosterone in your body. Those include:
Heart: Testosterone increases your cardiac output, while also helping to keep the coronary and peripheral blood flow smooth and continuous.
Brain: Cognition, memory and feeling are all affected by testosterone in the brain, as well as a mans sex drive.
Kidneys: Red blood cell production decreases when theres less testosterone in your system. This happens because erythropoietin production is halted or reduced.
Muscles: The mass and strength of your muscles are directly impacted by the amount of testosterone in your body.
Sexual organs: Sperm production and prostate health are both directly affected by a lack of testosterone. Erectile dysfunction is also not uncommon.
With so many parts of the male anatomy affected by testosterone, its not hard to see why some people see the male menopause as a genuine threat for their later years.
Male menopause is commonly used as a title because it affects men as they age, and has similar symptoms to the female menopause. But is it the same?
In truth, not quite. The term is something of a misleading tag line. While there is a very real change which happens to some men at a certain point in their life, the name itself encompasses a lot of different conditions.
The one key link between them all? A large dip in that all-important testosterone. While some people see the term as a simple way of describing the loss of this hormone, others would suggest that inaccurately grouping these conditions under one umbrella is a risky practice.
The minor controversy over the name stems from the fact that this, unlike female menopause, is not something which all men will naturally experience in their lives.
Its very common for a mans testosterone levels to decrease by as much as one per cent every year after the age of 40. This is not the same as late-onset hypogonadism or androgen deficiency, which can see a much larger sudden dip in levels.
Its for this reason some medical professionals like to steer clear of the term male menopause altogether. Its natural for testosterone levels to lower, but extreme cases are a condition in and of themselves.
So, is the male menopause real? Well, yes and no. While you wont definitely experience this drastic shift in hormone levels, theres roughly a one-in-three chance you could. Just dont take the slightest change in levels when youre 50 to mean youre going through the change.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the sudden loss of such a core hormone can have a huge impact on someones mental health. Lets take a closer look at how someone might struggle if they find themselves experiencing the male menopause.
Owing to the importance of testosterones role in your brain, therell be very direct and noticeable changes to your general attitude. While this wont always be negative, there are circumstances and symptoms which can lower your mood:
Memory loss: As you age, your cognitive function begins to decrease. This is what triggers memory loss in most older people. Some studies have recently linked this dip in memory retention to lowered levels of testosterone.
Concentration levels: Its not that youll necessarily find yourself distracted more often, but rather just struggle to follow the flow of a normal conversation. Being distracted is natural, but if youre finding it a struggle to keep up in one-on-one chats, you may want to get assessed.
Sex drive: The libido is one of the key areas of the mind which is affected by a loss of T-levels. While it wont necessarily be as a result of problems maintaining an erection, this can also be a factor.
You might begin to feel like a different person if youre experiencing the male menopause. Remember, if youre ever having dark thoughts its important to talk about it with someone you trust.
Sometimes the fallout from other issues someone experiences during the male menopause will cause them to have further problems in the future. These secondary, indirect, conditions can be just as damaging as those which are caused as a direct medical result of your situation.
See the original post:
The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner
- Do you have symptoms of low testosterone? - KTAR.com - December 18th, 2020
- Phoenix Hormone Replacement Therapy Mental Wellness Anxiety Relief Launched - Newswire - November 30th, 2020
- The Movember Series: Must make safe spaces for men to talk about their health: Nivendra Uduman - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 28th, 2020
- Understanding the andropause. - High50 - November 28th, 2020
- Irish men urged not to ignore andropause symptoms - Agriland - November 16th, 2020
- Andropause: Not the same as menopause but needs to be addressed - The Star Online - October 30th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017