There's new evidence that the high-fat, low carb keto diet might have benefits for reproductive health.
In new case reports, two men with obesity who lost weight on a very low calorie keto diet saw significant improvements in both sperm count and quality, according to research from the Universidade de SoPaulo, Brazil, presented at the 2020 European and International Obesity Congress,
In the first case, the patient lost nearly 60 pounds in the three-month dieting period, dropping his body fat percentage from 42% to 34%. Subsequently, his sperm quality improved by nearly 100%, based on the percentage of motile sperm in a test sample. His testosterone levels also more than doubled.
The second case report was of a patient who lost less weight, 20 pounds in three months, dropping from 26% to 21% body fat. His sperm quality also improved, but he saw even more significant benefits to sperm count, with over 100 million more sperm tested in the final sample, an increase of nearly 30%. Interestingly, his testosterone levels decreased slightly.
These results were based on the dieting plan called Pronokal, a highly-studied commercial weight loss method launched in Spain in 2004, which differs from traditional keto in that it's both low-carb (fewer than 50 grams a day) but also limited to 800 calories a day.
Two patients is hardly a large enough sample size to draw broader conclusions about keto and sperm count. But existing evidence supports the notion that low-carb diets could have benefits for sexual health, as increasing fat consumption appears to support healthy sperm levels.
Previous research has also linked higher levels of dietary fat intake to increased testosterone.
One caveat to these findings is that extremely restrictive diets can have side effects, particularly in the long term, and very low calorie diets in particular should only be done with medical supervision.
It's also not only the keto diet specifically that's linked to better sperm count, quality, and other measures of fertility.There's evidence healthy dietary changes of any sort can boost sexual health.
The Mediterranean diet, for instance, has been linked to improvements in erectile dysfunction. In a 2004 study, a healthy diet and exercise program helped improve erectile dysfunction in obese men.
A 2019 study found eating processed foods was linked to poor sperm count, while eating more fish and veggies was linked to better sperm count, which is also related to sex drive and overall sexual function.
The DASH diet, which limits red meat and full-fat dairy in favor of fruits, veggies and whole grains, is also linked to higher sperm count, according to research.
That suggests that the benefits may be less related to any one dietary pattern, such as keto, and more about improvements to overall health that affect every area of the body.
There's now evidence that junk food like pizza and chips could reduce your sperm count, but eating fish and veggies may improve it
A vegan diet can boost erections, according to a new Netflix documentary. Here's the reality.
Going on a low-carb diet could be more effective for weight loss than cutting calories, especially for people with insulin resistance
- Wellness Wednesday with a sneak peek of Fall-Tastic Showdown - ABC 4 - October 22nd, 2020
- High Testosterone in Premenopausal Women Linked to NASH - Hep Treatment News - October 18th, 2020
- Muscle loss can cause a range of health problems as we age but it can be prevented - The Conversation UK - October 18th, 2020
- Managing the menopause: symptoms, treatments and advice from the experts - harpersbazaar.com - October 18th, 2020
- Help Pennington with soldiers' study (lots of exercise, little sleep and food) and pocket $7,500 - The Advocate - October 13th, 2020
- The Hidden Reason Why You Can't Lose Weight, from an Expert - The Beet - October 13th, 2020
- Testosterone and weight loss: the evidence - October 3rd, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic September 25 - Medical News Today - September 25th, 2020
- 5 Celebrities Who Got Really Sick After Going on an All-Meat Diet - One Green Planet - September 20th, 2020
- Low testosterone: 12 signs and symptoms - September 16th, 2020
- Missed or irregular periods? Here's how to manage PCOS during the pandemic - PINKVILLA - September 11th, 2020
- The One Thing That's Giving Your Competitor The Edge - SwimSwam - September 10th, 2020
- Best Home Remedies For PCOS: Five Kitchen Ingredients to Help Combat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - India.com - September 8th, 2020
- Whats Really The Best Way To Maintain A Healthy Weight Over 50? - British Vogue - September 6th, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 6th, 2020
- 16 benefits of working out in the morning - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 treatment and diagnosis research started in unlikely places. As it should have. - NBC News - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Benefits of Testosterone - IMC Grupo - August 15th, 2020
- How long does it take to build muscle? - CNET - August 13th, 2020
- Investigation and management of erythrocytosis - CMAJ - August 12th, 2020
- Maybe its low testosterone? - The Durango Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Prorganiq: A Cure from the Nature - Zee News - July 30th, 2020
- Benefits Of Avocado: Avocado will add energy to the physique of males, this fashion must be consumed - Pledge Times - July 24th, 2020
- Kenergy Scientific, Inc. Announces That It Has Acquired MedSmart Group, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2020
- How to Fight PCOS with Diet and Nutrition - Scientific American - June 30th, 2020
- Can you still get pregnant if you have PCOS? - The Standard - June 30th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Applying this seed-based oil to your scalp may promote hair growth - Express - June 30th, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Steuben Courier - June 23rd, 2020
- Superstar steroid may fight COVID, but has nothing to do with muscles - The Province - June 23rd, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Jackson County Newspapers - June 19th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Creative Loafing Tampa - June 16th, 2020
- The Coming Out of a Transgender Scientist - The MIT Press Reader - June 15th, 2020
- Ashwagandha: 8 Reasons To Include It In Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - June 13th, 2020
- Identical twins compared vegan diet with meat-eating and exercise - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- Here's What Eating 12 Eggs a Day Did to This Guy's Body - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Sasapost (Egypt): you go to gym? These supplements are not as important and useful as you think - The KXAN 36 News - February 24th, 2020
- What is prostate cancer? Signs and symptoms of Bill Turnbulls condition - The Sun - February 24th, 2020
- Cut Mass, Not Muscle: The Basics of a Cutting Diet - Greatist - February 10th, 2020
- What I learned talking to 120 women about their sex lives and desires - The Guardian - February 10th, 2020
- Wh(e)y Protein? - The Indian Express - February 4th, 2020
- PERFECT HAIR-OLOGY - The News International - February 4th, 2020
- Is weight loss possible with PCOS? Foods to avoid and proven to help - Insider - INSIDER - February 4th, 2020
- After the Game Is Over - Harvard Medical School - February 2nd, 2020
- David Freeze: Robin and Isaac, on the way to better health - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - February 1st, 2020
- Bodybuilder dies of liver damage due to excessive intake of steroids, was preparing for competition in T - Mumbai Mirror - February 1st, 2020
- 11 ways hormonal imbalances affect your health - The Standard - February 1st, 2020
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? - Men's Journal - January 20th, 2020
- Testosterone deficiency in men with Type 2 diabetes: pathophysiology and treatment. - UroToday - January 20th, 2020
- What women should know about their reproductive system as they age - ABC News - January 20th, 2020
- In case you are shedding your sexual want, it can be as a result of those causes - Health Writeups - January 20th, 2020
- 7 Things That Happen to Our Skin, Bodies and Hair During Menopause - NewBeauty Magazine - January 15th, 2020
- Fasting and Breakfast - Is Eating in the Morning Good - Men's Health - January 15th, 2020
- How your height can predict your risk of cancer and heart disease - The Irish News - January 10th, 2020
- The best workout to do depending on what time of day it is - cosmopolitan.com - January 10th, 2020
- 9 Exercise Myths That Have Been Debunked by Science - Interesting Engineering - January 9th, 2020