August 2, 2017
Models, athletes and celebrities swear by the ketogenic keto diet to help shed those unwanted pounds. The keto diet encourages eating more cheese, butter and bacon; its a low-carb, high-fat diet akin to the Atkins Diet created in 1972 by cardiologist Robert C. Atkins. The latest fad diet has amassed a following of devoted supporters, including Tim Tebow, LeBron James and Kim Kardashian, but does it really work?
Carol Johnston, professor and associate director of the nutrition program in the School of Nutrition and Health PromotionThe School of Nutrition and Health Promotion is part of the College of Health Solutions. at Arizona State University, explains why the low-carb, high-fat diet is so popular, how it works, and what dieters should be eating to lose weight.
Question: Does the science behind the keto diet make sense? Would nearly eliminating carbs while increasing fat consumption help a person to lose weight?
Answer: The short answer is yes. There is mounting evidence that suggests calorie restricted, low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets are effective for weight loss, and the keto diet is an extreme version of this. Low-carb diets can be more satiating, allowing dieters to feel full longer, eat less, and thus experience greater weight loss success. However, calorie restricted, high-carb diets are also effective for weight loss.
Overwhelmingly, the most important factor in weight loss success is diet adherence. In research trials, most individuals who lose weight regain most of it within a year, regardless of which diet they were on. The downside of many of the fad diets you see today is the lack of emphasis on long-term lifestyle changes, which is necessary for long-term weight loss success.
Q: In your opinion, why is this diet so popular?
A: The keto diet is popular because it is easy to follow and on the surface seems effective. In the first few days after starting the keto diet, a person can experience a significant loss of water weight. When carb intake is restricted for a few days, glycogen stores in the muscle are reduced. Glycogen is responsible for water retention, so when its levels fall, so do our water levels. To the average person, the diet appears to be working. The number on the scale is going down. But, since most of this weight lost is water weight, it will return when the person consumes carbs again. While most people rely on scales to monitor weight loss and think any weight loss is good, the goal is actually to lose fat, which isnt always reflected on the scale. Additionally, the elevated levels of satiety feeling full may help people stick to the diet longer and experience greater weight loss success.
The keto diet encourages eating more cheese, butter and bacon.
Q: Is the keto diet healthy?
A: Keto diets have safely been used as an effective therapy for epilepsy for years. There are some risks associated with an extremely low-carb, high-fat diet, including elevated blood triglycerides (linked to elevated cardiovascular risk), increased urinary uric acid (which may lead to the formation of kidney stones), and lethargy. Adults on a low-carb diet are also at risk for adverse impacts to their bone health.
Q: Were always hearing about the evils of carbohydrates when it comes to losing weight. How important are carbs to our health and what role do they play in weight loss?
A: Carbs play a critical role in our health. We get energy either by burning glucose from carbs, or by burning fat. The keto diet focuses on the latter. Though carb-restricting diets are popular, carbs are actually less likely to convert into body fat than dietary fat.
Carbs are important for our brain and muscle health. Our brains rely entirely on glucose for energy productionthey cant get it from fatmaking the consumption of some carbs necessary. Our muscles can use either glucose or fat for energy, but during high-intensity exercise, they prefer glucose.
When we eat more carbs than we need, they convert to body fat, which contributes to obesity. In general, average Americansthose with a relatively sedentary lifestyleconsume more carbs and calories than they actually need. Athletes, on the other hand, need to keep their carb intake elevated to support their energy output. Balance between energy intake and output is key to maintaining a healthy weight.
Q: For people who are trying to lose weight what foods should they avoid? What foods should they include in their diet?
A: Energy dense-foods should be avoided (gravies, dressings, sauces, sweets, pastries, cakes, cookies, sugary drinks, etc.) and low energy, nutrient-rich foods should be prominent in the diet (unprocessed plant foods, low fat dairy and lean, unprocessed meats).
Q: What should people know about the effectiveness or safety of fad diets like Atkins, keto, liquid diets, paleo, calorie restriction, etc.?
A: Any diet that restricts calories will typically result in weight loss if a person sticks with it. What is important when following a calorie-restricted diet (about 500 less calories per day) is that it has healthful attributes a diet composed of plant-based, unprocessed foods with low fat content such as the Mediterranean diet. (Note, 500 calories equates to two 12 ounce sodas and a large chocolate chip cookie!)
Photos courtesy of Pixabay.com
Read the original here:
The Keto diet: Is eating more fat the key to weight loss? - Arizona State University
- Intuitive Eating to Lose Weight: Your Set Point First - Thrive Global - December 10th, 2019
- Incredible weight loss stories happen here - KGUN - December 10th, 2019
- Weight loss: 5 ways to lose your facial face - Times of India - December 10th, 2019
- Want to lose weight? Diet and exercise are not enough - TheHealthSite - December 10th, 2019
- George Foreman says excess weight will cost Andy Ruiz Jr. in rematch vs. Anthony Joshua - USA TODAY - December 10th, 2019
- Rice and beans, no chocolate and fast walking: the secrets of Kate Garraways midlife body - Telegraph.co.uk - December 10th, 2019
- 25 Inspiring Weight-Loss Transformation Before And Afters - Women's Health - December 10th, 2019
- Unexplained weight loss? Heres what the cause could be - All4Women - December 10th, 2019
- Health and Wellness: How to eat right for weight loss : SDV - The Standard - December 10th, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 25 kgs by combining these two smart diet hacks sans the gym - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 10th, 2019
- Is Eliminating Sugar the Only "Diet" We Should Be Taking Seriously? - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 10th, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 42 kgs by implementing these changes in his life instead of dieting - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 10th, 2019
- Study reveals maintaining lost weight more important than losing more - Devdiscourse - December 10th, 2019
- Shed those pounds, and get rid of unwanted hair with the team at Cratos Health - FOX21News.com - December 10th, 2019
- Australian woman reveals how being overweight affected her sex life and how she lost 63kg - 7NEWS.com.au - December 10th, 2019
- Courageous Henlow man who lost both legs and an arm in explosion will take part in Invictus Games - Biggleswade Today - December 10th, 2019
- To Lose Weight, Cut the Fad Diets and Stick to the Basics, Expert Says - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - December 6th, 2019
- Do these 5 things at every meal to lose weight - New York Post - December 6th, 2019
- The Biggest Loser Revamp is About Being Healthy, Not Losing Weight - Screen Rant - December 6th, 2019
- Weight loss surgery enables a Pinehurst banker to be both half and twice the woman she used to be - Sandhill Sentinel - December 6th, 2019
- Jenna Jameson Says She Gained 20 Lbs. After Taking a Break from Keto to 'Live My Best Carby Life' - PEOPLE Great Ideas - December 6th, 2019
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was 'humbled' by struggle to lose baby weight - Page Six - December 6th, 2019
- Not Seeing Results With Keto? This M.D. Says "Sneaky Carbs" May Be To Blame - mindbodygreen.com - December 6th, 2019
- Ajwain water for weight loss: Heres how you should prepare it for better results - Times of India - December 6th, 2019
- How to lose weight and get fit like this 43-year-old Ironman triathlete and open water swimmer - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 6th, 2019
- From the editor: Finding the best weight management products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - December 6th, 2019
- Boxing: Joshua Lightens the Load as Ruiz Jr Piles on the Pounds - The New York Times - December 6th, 2019
- McDonald's McFlurry Bulldog from Walsall scoops top prize in slimming contest - Birmingham Live - December 6th, 2019
- Eat all daily meals 'within 10 hours' to shed weight - The Times - December 6th, 2019
- Where Does Protein Fit in a New Year Diet? - Technology Networks - December 5th, 2019
- Weight loss: One woman lost a remarkable six stone with this plan - what did she eat? - Express - December 5th, 2019
- 5 Medical Conditions That Cause Weight Loss Without Trying - International Business Times - December 5th, 2019
- 'I Joined Weight Watchers After A Devastating MiscarriageAnd I Found My Joy And Confidence Again' - Women's Health - December 5th, 2019
- Is High-Protein Diet Beneficial For All Of Us? The Answer Will Surprise You - NDTV Food - December 5th, 2019
- Katie Price 'loses a stone in two weeks' and is 'barely eating' over bankruptcy stress - Mirror Online - December 5th, 2019
- Poha for weight loss: The delicious and healthy snack for quick weight loss - Times of India - December 5th, 2019
- Gemma Collins reveals secret to 3st weight loss is storing her food shop in the boot of her car - The Sun - December 5th, 2019
- Weight change between pregnancies is linked to having premature and large at birth babies - Mirage News - December 5th, 2019
- Five Ways To Build Your Innovation Muscles In The New Year - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Fitness facilities have the potential to 'be the leading providers of weight loss solutions' - Australasian Leisure Management - December 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 32 kgs by following an easy cardio routine - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 5th, 2019
- Eating your last meal at 2pm may help to lose weight 'because it suppresses appetite' - Stock Daily Dish - December 5th, 2019
- Portland in the snow, in a wheelchair - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - December 5th, 2019
- Gym routines you should adopt during the festive season - The Standard - December 5th, 2019
- MAFS star Jules on getting married and losing - NEWS.com.au - December 5th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Drinking this type of water could lower blood sugar - Express - December 5th, 2019
- My 600-lb Life: What Happened to Annjeannette Whaley and Vianey & Allen? Where Are They Now? - Earn The Necklace - December 5th, 2019
- Experience: I had apple cider vinegar every morning for 56 days, and this is what happened - Firstpost - December 5th, 2019
- The Christmas Ad That Rode Off With 9% Of Pelotons Share Value - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Nutritional fact or fiction? Everything meal replacement companies hope you'll take their word for - Dailyuw - December 2nd, 2019
- Brain receptor that regulates body temperature may also be the key to rapid weight loss - News-Medical.net - December 2nd, 2019
- Best supplements for joints: Taking this supplement could significantly reduce joint pain - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: Six ways to speed up fat loss & the best portion sizes to shed pounds - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- Its not hard to eat healthy around the holidays - The Columbus Dispatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: This easy plan will help you burn belly fat according to personal trainer - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- 10 ways to tell your partner to lose weight without hurting them - The Nation Newspaper - December 2nd, 2019
- Tips on eating healthy around the holidays - Massillon Independent - December 2nd, 2019
- Want Real Weight Loss? Here Are Three Things You Should Give Up - Medical Daily - December 2nd, 2019
- What Motivated 'Good Morning America's' Tory Johnson To Lose 62 Pounds - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 2nd, 2019
- 1st Gen Idol Kim Hyung Jun Of Taesaja Talks About Job As A Delivery Person And His Happiness - soompi - December 2nd, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 36 kgs by eliminating these three things from his diet - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 2nd, 2019
- Protein-Rich Diet: Is It Harmful For People With Kidney Problems? This Study Finds Out - NDTV Food - December 2nd, 2019
- Sizing Up Your Mental Health - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: I lost 10st after getting so fat I got wedged in a seat on the Tube to work - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- This is an interesting way to lose weight in winter - News Track English - December 2nd, 2019
- Younger Women Should Start Now to Defend Against Heart Attacks - catcountry1073.com - December 2nd, 2019
- From Weight-Loss to Wellness: Has The Diet Really Died? - The Bull and Bear - December 2nd, 2019
- To Your Good Health: A flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu - Arizona Daily Star - December 2nd, 2019
- Brush your teeth not twice, but thrice a day: Experts say it may help cut heart failure risk by 12% - Economic Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: Top tips to lose weight by improving your digestion - Express - November 28th, 2019
- Aaron Washer Update on My 600 Lb. Life - Heavy.com - November 28th, 2019
- Experts offer tips to avoid gaining that holiday weight - Summit Daily News - November 28th, 2019
- Enjoy the holiday feast; unless you're a wrestler cutting weight - Post Register - November 28th, 2019
- How to lose weight & build muscles like this guy who followed an easy yet quantifiable regime to get ripped - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 28th, 2019
- An Increasing Number of Americans Weigh 200 Poundsand Say They Are OK With It - Newsweek - November 28th, 2019
- Holly Willoughby weight loss: How did the daytime TV star trim down? - Express.co.uk - November 28th, 2019
- Waitress loses 125lbs to fulfil her grandfather's dying wish - Somerset Live - November 28th, 2019
- Losing almost 12 stone cured my diabetes... and saved my life - The Sunday Post - November 28th, 2019
- Alfred Dawes | Severe obesity: The harsh truth | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - November 28th, 2019
- Technology Advances in Reducing Lower Back Pain - HealthTechZone - November 28th, 2019