The Foods 5 Famous Chefs Never Leave the Grocery Store Without
Giada De Laurentiis, Valerie Bertinelli, and other top chefs share the everyday essentials and just-in-case goodies they always grab on grocery store runs.
If planning and executing a big grocery store run was a chore before, now it can seem like a downright feat. Navigating the aisles while social distancing and wearing a mask, adjusting your shopping list to accommodate whats actually in stock, prepping for three meals a day at homeits overwhelming for even the most experienced home cooks. But not everyone has access to grocery store alternatives, such as delivery services or boutique options, so a trip to the local supermarket remains a necessary to-do. The good news is that, once its over with, a smart grocery run always makes the week feel more manageableand (dare I say it?) a bit more enjoyable.
Ever wondered what A-list chefs like Giada De Laurentiis or Ann Burrell pick up for everyday snacking, meal prep, and feeding last-minute guests? Before the craziness of coronavirus, I chatted with a few famous chefs at the 2020 South Beach Wine and Food Festival in Miami, Fla. earlier this year. They shared which items they always reach for along the aisles of their local supermarkets. Some of them are tiny, others are indulgent, and some are just plain necessary.
RELATED: 9 Ways You Can Grocery Shop Faster (and Safely) Right Now
I happen to love grocery shopping, but sometimes you just dont have time to do it,said Valerie Bertinelli, chef, cookbook author, and the host of the Food Networks two-time Emmy Awardwinning show Valeries Home Cooking. For busy moms or women trying to eat healthy, grocery shopping can take so much time.
To lessen the blow, Bertinelli suggests getting the entire weeks meal prep out of the way in one fell swoop, if possible. Cut all your veggies so theyre ready to go, she told Real Simple. I have glass containers in my fridge so when Im hungry, or when I need to make dinner, everything is already there.
In addition to being prepared for weeknight dinners, its important to Bertinelli to be prepared for drop-in guests and sudden hunger cravings. I always have cheese and crackers on hand in case anybody just stops by, the Valeries Home Cooking author said. Miltons brand has these gluten-free crackers that I absolutely love.
Her final shopping cart must-have is small, but mighty. Philly cream cheese, the chive and onion, Bertinelli added. It goes with everythingincluding those crackers!
RELATED: 10 Healthy Pantry Essentials You Should Always Have on Hand, According to RDs
Chef Anne Burrell, host of Food Networks Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, co-host of Worst Cooks in America, Iron Chef America sous chef, and cookbook author, is always prepared to satisfy snack cravings or to feed potential impromptu guests with healthy, crowd-pleasing combos like cheese and crackers or veggies and dip.
I always have hummus, cherry tomatoes, and little Persian cucumbers because I like to snack on those, Burrell said. I always have a few varieties of cheeseI love Boars Head cheese. My number one cracker is Triscuits, I do the reduced-fat [kind], but the original flavor.
RELATED: These Are the Best Foods to Stockpile for an Emergency
De Laurentiis is a best-selling cookbook author and veteran Food Network chef and host, including her shows Giada at Home and Winner Cake All. The items she always grabs on a grocery store run? Chocolate chips, cotton swabs, and lemons. Enough said.
Molly Yeh has made quite an impact on the food scene with her stunning cakes, cookbook, and Food Network show Girl Meets Farm. Despite her penchant for decadent desserts, shes in the habit of stocking up on fresh produce, and kale in particular.
I get the big bags of kale that are pre-washed. I force myself to go through them before the expiration date by putting them into smoothies and making kale chips, Yeh told Real Simple, adding that shes much more likely to incorporate these dark, leafy greens into her diet if she can see it in her refrigerator. Its how I feel less bad about eating so much cake all the time.
RELATED: How to Support Small Farms During the Pandemic
Chloe Coscarelli knows a thing or two about vegan cooking and dining. In addition to creating the fast-casual vegan restaurant by Chloe, shes also written four vegan cookbooks with delicious plant-based recipes even the biggest carnivore will love. She shared with Real Simple some of her favorite vegan items to pick up at nearly every local grocery store.
The first and most versatile is cashews. I blend them to make everything, like cheese, cream sauce, dessert creamsits my go-to for everything, Coscarelli said. Sometimes Ill buy [cashews] in bulk.
RELATED: Make-It-Yourself Nut Butter to Try at Home Right Now
Speaking of items that can be used to make vegan cheese, Coscarelli also makes sure to pick up nutritional yeast. If you havent tried this, it looks like a seasoning salt and its absolutely delicious. Plus, it has several health benefits. I put nutritional yeast on everything, she said. She sprinkles it on popcorn, transforms it into vegan cheese, uses it to add umami to sauces, and so much more. Vegan or not, its an amazing flavor booster to pick up at the grocery store next time youre shopping. You can put it on popcorn, you can make cheese with it, you can make sauces.
RELATED: 6 Delicious Dinner Ideas from a Grocery List So Compact, It Fits on a Post-It Note
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Eating right and playing well The Island - The Island.lk - September 29th, 2020
- Prebiotics 101: Discover Why Prebiotic Fiber Is The Most Important Thing Missing From Your Diet - CBS Houston - September 29th, 2020
- Amsterdam and Helsinki launch algorithm registries to bring transparency to public deployments of AI - Best gaming pro - September 29th, 2020
- How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet? - MedicineNet - September 23rd, 2020
- James Cracknell is running for five days without food to prove we don't need carbs - is he right? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Opinion | Going against the grain: Debunking celiac disease misconceptions - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blue Origin gets ready to test its suborbital spaceship with COVID-19 safety in mind - GeekWire - September 23rd, 2020
- What We Miss Most About Going to the Movies - Collider.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Want to Lose Weight Running? Experts Explain How to Achieve Your Goals Faster (and Safely) - Yahoo! Voices - September 22nd, 2020
- The Best Fish Scalers to Clean Your Catch - Robb Report - September 22nd, 2020
- Heart Failure in Primary Care: Do's and Don't's - Medscape - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Gaston Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- Why can't I go into my child's school, what is happening with SQA Exams? North-east council release FAQ guide to help parents - Aberdeen Evening... - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to increase cancer mortality The Cancer Letter - The Cancer Letter - September 22nd, 2020
- How to be second wave savvy and what not to repeat from the first lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Boonville Daily News - September 18th, 2020
- The 7 Health Benefits of Eating More Tofu, and How to Enjoy It - The Beet - September 18th, 2020
- Is VR the Future of Corporate Training? - Harvard Business Review - September 18th, 2020
- City seeking input on safety improvements to Linn Street in West End - WCPO - September 18th, 2020
- What is a 'reverse diet' and can it help you to maintain your goal weight? - Health24 - September 8th, 2020
- How to Use Public Transit Safely During the Pandemic - One Green Planet - September 8th, 2020
- Brits ignore PMs diet plea as spending on takeaways surges - City A.M. - September 8th, 2020
- Healthy success for Pocklington-based slimming consultant - Pocklington Post - September 8th, 2020
- Tips on how to stay safe and not spread COVID-19 on this Labor Day Weekend - Berkeleyside - September 8th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper cut open a 'bubble wrap' growth the size of a grapefruit on a patient's back - Business Insider India - September 6th, 2020
- Vancouver teacher praises benefits of taking kids outside of classroom to learn - CBC.ca - September 6th, 2020
- From a bald budgie to a fat goldfish your pet queries answered - The Sun - September 6th, 2020
- 'Gross cruelty' towards the consignment of sheep and cattle headed for the Middle East - IOL - September 6th, 2020
- How Much Weight Loss Can You Achieve In Three Months? - Women's Health - September 5th, 2020
- These simulations show how face shields and valved masks allow clouds of respiratory droplets to escape - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- My ex just admitted he avoided sex because he has erectile dysfunction. Was I wrong to end things over our lac - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- Anxious with anticipation? | News, Sports, Jobs - The Sentinel - Lewistown Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Vegetarians suffer from iron deficiency anaemia and other myths about the micronutrient deficiency busted - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- Understanding the hidden risks of recreational marijuana - Houston Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Debunking the soy-estrogen problem and other soy myths - ZME Science - September 4th, 2020
- The 8 Best Diet Plans Sustainability, Weight Loss, and More - September 1st, 2020
- Column: Be smart and safe when trying to lose weight during coronavirus pandemic - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - September 1st, 2020
- Severe Weather Warning Issued For Melbourne On Wednesday - KIIS1011 - September 1st, 2020