MY pet has a big build or my pet has a lot of fur certainly are statements of denial. Fat camouflaged as fur is still fat. The ideal dog or cat has a tucked-in tummy and the ribs are easy to feel, but not visible.
If the waistline is lost and you can feel a layer of fat over the ribs it is a sure sign of trouble.
Medical side effects
As in humans, pets also risk medical complications when they are overweight.
Excess weight puts more stress on the joints, which causes your pet pain, reduces their mobility and can result in lameness. This becomes a vicious cycle, as less activity causes more weight gain and more stress on already aching joints.
Excess body weight causes insulin resistance in pets too.
Respiratory and heart problems
A fat pets heart has to work much harder to pump blood to where it is needed, and there is a lot more fat to get through. Excess fat in and around the chest cavity also makes breathing a lot more difficult.
Surgical and anaesthetic risk
If your pet has to have surgery or receive medication, drug doses become less accurate as it is difficult to estimate the patients lean mass. In fat pets, cardiac and respiratory suppression is greater under anaesthetic. Surgery becomes more difficult and takes longer to complete.
Studies conducted on groups of pets showed pets that were fed a restricted diet to keep them lean, lived two years longer than groups of pets who were overfed.
Dieting dos and donts
If your pet is classified as obese, you will need your vets help to treat it. Typically a vet will place your pet on a prescription obesity diet with reduced calories. This kind of diet will be formulated to keep your pet feeling fuller for longer. It also helps to maintain lean muscle while using up fat cells.
Your vet will require regular weigh-ins and guide you on how to correctly feed and exercise your pet. Feeding less of your pets usual diet is not advised as this can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. If you feed your pet less of its usual diet your pet may lose weight, but will start having skin and other malnutrition problems due to these deficiencies.
A cookie or a piece of cheese may seem like a little treat, but its like a whole meal for dogs. Just one little cookie as fed to a dog around the weight of 10kg is the human caloric equivalent of one whole hamburger for an average sized woman.
Thirty grams of cheddar cheese is the equivalent of two and a half hamburgers. In cats, 30g of cheddar cheese is the equivalent of two and a half burgers. One cup of milk is the equivalent of three hamburgers and not only causes weight gain but can also lead to an upset stomach. Too many unhealthy snacks add up fast!
Exercise is essential
Unfortunately light diets are not enough. They may well prevent weight gain in less active animals, but ultimately exercise is the only route to aid in weight loss. The main cause of obesity is the imbalance between the energy that goes in and the energy expended in daily activities.
All pets need exercise, but these days our pets mirror our sedentary lifestyles. Our yards have become smaller and we spend less time exercising them, if at all. A large yard does not replace a good walk on the leash or an encouraged game of fetch in the park.
Rewarding good behaviour
Treats can form part of a healthy diet relationship. A good idea is to use part of your pets daily food ration, such a kibbles, as a treat. Only treat when you are training, playing games or encouraging good behaviour. It is not necessary to treat your pet every time, as attention is just as a valuable resource and an affectionate pat on the head or a hug will also be gladly received.
Killing with kindness
It cannot be stressed enough that the extra treats and the extra weight are causing lasting damage to your pets internal organs, bones and joints. Sadly some of these consequences can never be remedied even with a change in diet and exercise.
Its best to instill healthy routines and nutritional meals in your pets life from the start. Feeding a pet scraps from the table encourages them to beg and makes it harder for you to say no to their begging and cute puppy eyes. You might feel sorry for your pet, but you are doing them more harm than good, and making sure they do not beg at the dinner table from the start is the best thing you can do for them.
If you are concerned about your pets weight to get a professional opinion from your nearest vet, who will be able to help you with correct feeding and exercise schedules.
Vinkel and Koljander.
Paw five! Woof!
Follow this link:
The dangers of obesity in pets - Kathorus Mail
- Don't Give Up: 9 Ways to Reinvent Your 2021 Diet, Fitness Resolutions - Healthline - January 12th, 2021
- How to Lose Belly Fat | Belly Fat Exercises and Diet - esquire.com - January 12th, 2021
- Kate Middleton's diet and exercise: her fitness secrets revealed - New Idea - January 12th, 2021
- 5 Diet Pill Ingredients That Actually Work For Weight Loss - South Florida Caribbean News - January 12th, 2021
- The best esports exercise and diet plan by the Head of Performance at EXCEL ESPORTS - T3 - January 12th, 2021
- Low-carb, no sugar, no fat: the fad diets popular in the 20th century - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- Robert Pattinson 'Batman' Workout and Diet Plan - Men's health UK - January 12th, 2021
- 7 At-Home Exercises You Need To Add In Your Journey From FAT-TO-FIT - Tech Geeked - January 12th, 2021
- Actor Ethan Suplee, on His Abs, Weight Loss, and Mental Strength - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2021
- Skip the diet and dating goals? You should make this your New Year's resolution - USA TODAY - January 12th, 2021
- Ingenuine workout and diet plans have made fitness freak Vaughn Cohen the best fitness trainer in Marbella, Europe. - Datasource Hub - January 12th, 2021
- Weight loss: "I climbed 60 flights of stairs regularly and got in shape" - Times of India - January 12th, 2021
- The 17 Best Longevity Tips Experts Taught Us in 2020 - Well+Good - January 12th, 2021
- Improve HDL and LDL with TLC - Bel Marra Health - January 12th, 2021
- 'I've Maintained My 61-Pound Weight Loss For 8 Years By Setting These S.M.A.R.T. Goals' - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 9th, 2021
- New Year, New Wellness Goals - UPMC - January 9th, 2021
- COVID keeping you from the gym? No problem - Indianapolis Recorder - January 9th, 2021
- Stay Fit in Your 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and Beyond - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - January 9th, 2021
- 806 Health Tip: A Few Diets To Try In The New Year - mix941kmxj.com - January 9th, 2021
- Nutrition and mental health: Is there a link? - Medical News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Ensure Healthy Thyroid Function With These Expert Recommended Diet Tips - NDTV - January 9th, 2021
- How to get fit: Get fit for 2021 with the best workouts and diet tips - T3 - January 9th, 2021
- One 5-Minute Workout Can Melt Belly Fat, Says Study - Eat This, Not That - January 9th, 2021
- Meet the bacteria that might help treat diabetes - Medical News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Make These Changes In Your Diet And Lifestyle To Fight Symptoms Effectively - NDTV - January 9th, 2021
- Diabetes + Obesity = Diabesity: All You Need To Know About This Metabolic Dysfunction - India.com - January 9th, 2021
- Make these diet and lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of cancer - TheHealthSite - January 9th, 2021
- The Diet Plans To Suit All Shapes And Sizes, From 5/2 To Fasting Via Veganism - The Sportsman - January 9th, 2021
- 'After Starting A Low-Carb, High-Protein Diet, I Lost 85 Pounds And Got Rid Of So Many Cravings' - Women's Health - January 5th, 2021
- The One Test to Get If You're Worried About Your Heart Health - The Beet - January 5th, 2021
- US News ranks the best diets for weight loss, other health benefits for 2021 - WTOP - January 5th, 2021
- Health and fitness essentials to help you tackle your New Year's resolution - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- On Waitlist for Liver Transplants, Women Die More Often Than Men - HealthDay News - January 5th, 2021
- Five experts, five tips: GPs on keeping well mentally and physically - The Irish Times - January 5th, 2021
- This Guy Followed a Plant-Based Diet and Lost 180 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 5th, 2021
- What is intuitive eating? The anti-diet that wants to repair your relationship with food - Her.ie - January 5th, 2021
- Weight management goals to set this year - The Citizen - January 5th, 2021
- High-Calorie Food In Winters: Why To Avoid It And Expert-Suggested Alternatives - NDTV Food - January 5th, 2021
- Could a supplement be as effective as exercise at protecting health? - Medical News Today - January 3rd, 2021
- Diet & exercise should be on your New Year's Resolution list - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- The Case for Keto review why a full-fat diet should be on the menu - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- Aussie fitness guru Tiffiny Hall reveals how to lose that final five kilos - 9Coach - January 3rd, 2021
- In Exercised, Harvard professor Daniel Lieberman looks at why exercise, despite its aggravations, is worth it - The Boston Globe - January 3rd, 2021
- Cold weather or winter headaches - What causes them? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- Jessica Alba Swears by Pilates, HIIT, and Hot Yoga for Strong, Sculpted Abs at 39 - Prevention.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Looking to Be Healthier in the New Year? These Tips Will Help - South Florida Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Zion Williamson Changed His Diet After a Disappointing Rookie Year: All the Sauce, the Bacon, That StuffHe Cant Have That - Sportscasting - January 3rd, 2021
- Belfast weight-loss expert offers five top tips for fitness and diet in 2021 - Belfast Live - January 3rd, 2021
- Resolutions: Small, steady change to lifestyle is better than dieting, expert says - The Augusta Chronicle - January 3rd, 2021
- How to boost your immune system in weeks and maintain it long-term - BusinessGhana - January 3rd, 2021
- Dementia: Weight training exercises could help protect the brain against Alzheimers - TechnoCodex - January 3rd, 2021
- 5 New Year's Resolutions for Better Gut Health - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 3rd, 2021
- 5 ways to get fitter than ever, include exercise in 2021 - Times Now - January 3rd, 2021
- 7-day bodybuilding meal plan: Benefits, nutrition, and grocery list - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Skipping These Foods Can Be Dangerous for Your Mental Health, Study Says - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- The warrior diet: Pros, cons, how to follow it, and example meal plan - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Ray Wetterlund III : You're only one workout away from a good mood - Thrive Global - December 27th, 2020
- The Biking Workout That Hit 10,000 Miles in a Year - The Wall Street Journal - December 27th, 2020
- What is the best diet for women? Options and research - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Cut back on meat for a week with this 7-day vegetarian meal plan recommended by a registered dietitian - Business Insider India - December 27th, 2020
- The 6 Best Diets That Will Make You Live Longer, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- The best nutrition to start 2021 - Sportstar - December 27th, 2020
- How to boost your immune system in weeks and maintain it long-term - Insider - INSIDER - December 27th, 2020
- Drew Barrymores Fitness Routine Isnt Perfect, but This Was Still a Really Healthy Year - Prevention.com - December 27th, 2020
- Bloated, full, sluggish: Is fasting the answer to festive feasting? - Sydney Morning Herald - December 27th, 2020
- Follow These Home Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation - TechnoCodex - December 27th, 2020
- Best way to create healthy New Year's Resolution for 2021 - Mumbai Live - December 27th, 2020
- The best diet is the diet you can stick to - Seacoastonline.com - December 27th, 2020
- How what you are eating is affecting how you sleep - The Irish Times - December 27th, 2020
- Soda Habits That Are Shortening Your Life, According to Science - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- How to live longer: Walking pace may influence your life expectancy - how fast to walk - Express - December 27th, 2020
- The pillars of mental health: Good sleep, exercise, and healthy diet - Yahoo News UK - December 20th, 2020
- Weight loss: "I had dalia every night for dinner and got my pre-pregnancy body back" - Times of India - December 20th, 2020
- What a cutting diet is and how to follow it - Medical News Today - December 20th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise is key in easing joint pain - IOL - December 20th, 2020
- Americans promise to eat healthier 4 times a month but never follow through - Study Finds - December 20th, 2020
- Sabudana health benefits: 8 compelling reasons why you must include Sabudana (Sago) in your diet - Times of India - December 20th, 2020
- Winter Health Tips: Add Onion And Garlic To Your Diet To Prevent Cough And Cold, Says Nmami Agarwal - NDTV Doctor - December 20th, 2020
- A 20-Minute Workout to Sculpt Your Arms and Chest (See Ya, Armpit Fat) - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 20th, 2020
- Sleep, food, or exercise: Which has the biggest impact on mental health? - Stuff.co.nz - December 13th, 2020