True weight loss for obese individuals is not flashy, glamorous or fit for reality television
The Biggest Loser is a weight-loss competition that originally aired on NBC in 2004. The series followed overweight to obese individuals as they competed to lose the highest amount of body weight relative to their initial size.
Although the series ran for 17 seasons, it was highly criticized for the way trainers treated the contestants and for the unrealistic weight loss methods it promoted. Contestants would exercise for numerous hours each day and would eat meticulously planned meals that were not always sufficient to restore their energy balances.
A longitudinal study in an obesity research journal followed 14 former contestants over six years. It showed that the contestants significantly damaged their metabolism after losing weight so rapidly, and they had all regained the weight.
Since the series ended in 2016, there have been radical shifts in the way society views body image and weight loss. From the rise of the Health at Every Size movement to a more general acceptance of different body types in the media, it would seem that a show like The Biggest Loser would never be popular in todays political and social climate.
The USA Network, however, decided to reboot the series, and the first episode aired on Jan. 28. The series made an effort to combat criticisms of the original, such as re-casting hosts and offering an extensive aftercare package to contestants who were eliminated, including a gym membership, a nutritionist and guidance towards a support group.
The goal of the series was rebranded as competing not only to lose weight, but [to] also improve their overall well-being, according to the USA Network.
Many, however, are not satisfied with this new take. The series has been criticized by Dr. Sandra Aamodt, neuroscientist and author of Why Diets Make Us Fat.
The Biggest Loser basically glamorizes dieting, which I consider to be quite dangerous, Aamodt said. And rebranding weight loss as wellness is a big trend.
Dr. Jennifer Kern was a contestant in the third season of the original series. She then returned to work as a medical consultant for the following two seasons.
I think it at least showed other people who are struggling with obesity that all is not lost, that they can successfully lose weight even if they have 150 pounds to lose, Kern told Insider.
She believes, however, that the format of the series as a whole is problematic. She openly criticizes fallacies the show perpetuates about massive weight-loss. In fact, she co-wrote the longitudinal study showing that re-gaining the weight for former contestants was almost inevitable.
To make a good TV show, theyre going to want to show rapid change, Kern said.
And there lies the fundamental issue with the series: True weight loss for obese and morbidly obese individuals is not flashy, glamorous or fit for reality television. While showing intense workouts and fitness challenges may make for good entertainment, it is, at best, inefficient and, at worst, dangerous for contestants trying to make better lives for themselves.
Sustained weight loss, especially for obese individuals, should include a strong focus on nutrition and include low impact excercises like walking or swimming. Yet The Biggest Loser forces contestants to perform box jumps and run miles in the first few weeks of the competition.
Based on the lack of significant changes this reboot made, it is hard to believe the series will regain the popularity it had in the early 2000s. Even worse, the contestants will probably suffer the fate of regaining the weight they lost during the competition. While the effort of rebranding the series could have been worthwhile, the execution will probably do more damage than good to those it is setting out to help.
Written by: Alyssa Ilsley firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the original here:
The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie
- Strength Training is a Healthy Hearts BFF - BELatina - February 24th, 2020
- The dark side of slimming teas | The New Times | Rwanda - The New Times - February 24th, 2020
- Greta Thunberg's mother speaks out on daughter's autism and past eating disorder: 'She was slowly disappearing' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 24th, 2020
- Record two million people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes - expressandstar.com - February 24th, 2020
- She learned to love eating -- and herself -- despite a lifetime of fat shaming - CNN - February 24th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Journey - Wyoming Tribune - February 24th, 2020
- Influencer's advice to give up drinking water is 'warped' - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Skipton station worker on mission to lose 10 stone - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - February 24th, 2020
- How to do the metabolism diet from Save Money: Lose Weight detox your body in 4 weeks! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 21st, 2020
- Want to lose more weight? Intensive therapy from dietitians can help older adults, study finds - CNN - February 21st, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: The one food you should eat more of to help burn belly fat fast - Express - February 21st, 2020
- Walking Your Way to Weight Loss? Here's How Many Minutes You Should Log on the Treadmill - msnNOW - February 21st, 2020
- 'I Started Eating 90 Percent Keto And Doing Tae BoAnd I Lost 6 Lbs. In The First Week Alone' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 21st, 2020
- 15 Celeb Weight-Loss Transformations That Will Inspire The Sh*t Out Of You - Pulse Ghana - February 21st, 2020
- Real Women Share The Most Important Factors That Helped Them Lose Weight - Women's Health - February 21st, 2020
- Can I get pregnant with PCOS? Yes, but there are risks - Business Insider Australia - February 21st, 2020
- Syracuse woman is devoted to making the world a better place through roller skating - syracuse.com - February 21st, 2020
- FOOTBALL: Play the game and lose weight - Spalding Today - February 21st, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Business Insider Australia - February 21st, 2020
- How Fittr cracked the fitness code and grew into a Rs 100 crore business - The News Minute - February 21st, 2020
- Yoga to reduce belly fat Part 1: 4 asanas that will stretch and contract your core muscles - Firstpost - February 21st, 2020
- Jessa Duggar's Followers Are Shocked That Her Husband, Ben Seewald, Majorly Changed His Look - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 21st, 2020
- Is it easier to burn off a big breakfast than a big dinner? - NHS Website - February 20th, 2020
- When the time is right to lose weight - News & Star - February 20th, 2020
- How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science - February 20th, 2020
- What Is Muscle Confusion and Can It Help You Lose Weight? - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 20th, 2020
- How This Reader Lost 5 Stone and Built a Midlife Six-Pack - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Woman who used food to fill a void after losing twins starts weight loss journey so she can have IVF - Daily Post - February 20th, 2020
- It's Mother's Time to Shine - Jezebel - February 20th, 2020
- Reducing premature death from heart disease requires a broad approach - The Spokesman-Review - February 20th, 2020
- Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Everything you need to know before doing intermittent fasting while pregnant - Health24 - February 20th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast and Transform your Body - BOXROX - February 20th, 2020
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist - GQ - February 20th, 2020
- How to do intermittent fasting safely - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Polar Bears Losing Weight, Having Fewer Cubs Due to Retreating Sea-Ice - The Weather Channel - February 19th, 2020
- The 5 food tweaks to slash hundreds of calories from your diet and boost weight loss - The Sun - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- 'I Do Keto, Intermittent Fasting, And Tae Bo WorkoutsAnd I've Lost 135 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 19th, 2020
- Sivakov pays the price for losing weight too quickly - Cyclingnews.com - February 19th, 2020
- Points for losing weight and winning games in new Lincoln football league - The Lincolnite - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off - Better Homes and Gardens - February 19th, 2020
- Proof of Weight Loss Surgery Benefits Continues to Grow with Breathing Study, says Beverly Hills Physicians - Benzinga - February 19th, 2020
- This SAS workout will make your body and mind stronger - T3 - February 19th, 2020
- DNA tests may soon reveal the optimal diet for your body down to the variety of lettuce you should be eating - MarketWatch - February 19th, 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. back to basics on the football field, drops weight for return - WBN - World Boxing News - February 19th, 2020
- Rakul Preet Singh refuses to put on weight for role: Wont do anything that harms my health - Hindustan Times - February 19th, 2020
- Westmeath mother of seven shares secret to incredible 9st weight loss - RSVP Live - February 19th, 2020
- Dr. Mitch Shulman: Heart disease in women not the same as in men - The Suburban Newspaper - February 19th, 2020
- Worried about your ageing parents? Here are 8 health signs to look out for - The Star Online - February 19th, 2020
- Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Health | gmtoday.com - Greater Milwaukee Today - February 19th, 2020
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020