You don't need to go to the gym every day or go on a strict diet to lose weight. Here are some top weight loss tips from 'The Diet Doctor' Moodi Dennaoui and PT and former Survivor contestant Tegan Haining.
Are you better off going for a long, slow jog? Or a short, fast run?
THE problem with exercise as a weight loss strategy is many of us use it as a way justify an extra slice of pizza or another glass of wine.
But as it turns out, how hungry you are post workout depends on how intense or how long that workout really was.
A recent study published in Journal of Endocrinology recruited 16 healthy, fit young men (sorry, no women due to controlling for the effects of womens menstrual cycles). Participants were split into two groups: One group focused on intensity, ranging from an easy jog for 55 minutes (50% of their maximum capacity) to a more vigorous pace for 36 minutes (75% of maximum capacity), until they burned around 600 calories.
The second group focused on length with a run for 45 minutes at a steady pace on one day, followed by a run for 90 minutes at the same pace on another day (70% of maximum capacity). Throughout the experiment, both groups ate standard meals and levels of ghrelin a hormone thought to influence appetite was measured. Generally speaking, when ghrelin levels rise, so does hunger.
Results reveal that our appetites certainly are strange, influenced by many factors beyond hormones and burning calories. In general, exercise lowered ghrelin (making people less hungry) with the effects being more pronounced when runs were vigorous (above 75% maximum capacity) and longer (90 minutes) compared to gentler jogging or briefer runs (45 minutes).
Interestingly, hormones remained suppressed one-hour post workout when workouts were the longest. Whats more, those who ran for 90 minutes reported feeling less hungry compared to those who carried out short, intense workouts, who soon felt peckish, despite still having low levels of ghrelin in their blood.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Granted the study was small and did not follow up whether participants had replaced the calories they had burned post workout, but this study shows that some types of exercise may be better than others at blunting appetite and potentially aiding in weight management. That is, you may wish to increase the duration of each session if you want to whittle the waistline.
WHY YOURE HUNGRY AFTER A WORKOUT
Its true that were not all the same when it comes to weight loss and there are individual differences in the effect exercise has on appetite. Despite it boiling down to the type of workout youre doing (intense vs. low-intensity sessions), studies show that the level of fitness also impacts appetite.
In other words, the less fit you are, the more famished youll be. Thats because your body and brain havent gotten used to your workout habit yet, suggesting that a regular exercise habit might help us to regulate our appetites better.
Another reason is dehydration. Many times our bodies mistake thirst for hunger, so if youre not drinking enough water throughout your workout, hunger may be intensified.
Lets remember exercise has many other benefits irrespective of weight loss: elevated mood, immune boosting, reduced blood pressure, and improved fitness, to name a few.
Current Australian physical activity guidelines recommend 150-300 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity or 75-150 minutes of vigorous activity a week.
Australians are nowhere near active enough, and for someone trying to keep their weight in check, guidelines recommend adults increase to 300 minutes (five hours) or 60 minutes of moderate intensity activity on most days of the week.
Kathleen Alleaume is an exercise and nutrition scientist and author of Whats Eating You?
- Turnip Health Benefits: Weight Management, Liver Protection, More - Medical Daily - December 9th, 2019
- Weight-loss surgery between pregnancies tied to better outcomes - Reuters - December 9th, 2019
- Introduction and Need of the Weight Management Pet Food | Market Analysis and Trends - Montana Ledger - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best probiotics to lose weight easily! - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Dietitians Say to Meal Prep These 3 Plant-Based Proteins on Sunday to Lose Weight All Week - POPSUGAR - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: Peanuts can help you lose weight - here is how to include them in your diet - Times Now - December 9th, 2019
- 5 Reasons Why A Plant-Based Diet Is Great For Your Health - International Business Times - December 9th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Value Share, Analysis and Segments 2017 to 2026 - Weekly Spy - December 9th, 2019
- Why Fiber Is the Real Weight Loss MVP and How to Get More - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 9th, 2019
- Latest study on Weight Loss & Diet Management Market Size and 2025 Predication Report - The Market Stats News - December 9th, 2019
- ARFID: Symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2019
- James Martin weight loss: TV chef cut this from diet plan to shed a whopping six stone - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Karyopharm Reports New and Updated XPOVIO (Selinexor) Data in Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma at the American Society of Hematology 2019... - December 9th, 2019
- Do ice baths help in muscle recovery and weight loss? - Firstpost - December 9th, 2019
- Medifast Inc (NYSE:MED) Receives Average Recommendation of Hold from Brokerages - Mitchell Messenger - December 9th, 2019
- Brushing teeth frequently will lower the risk of heart failure: Study - ANI News - December 9th, 2019
- 10 Years of Teen Mom: A Look at the O.G. Journeys - E! NEWS - December 9th, 2019
- How to manage a fatty liver? - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Growth, Insights Analysis, Forecasts to 2025 GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Nutrisystem, Atkins Nutritionals,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight loss: Top snacks to help you shape up revealed - which has fewest calories? - Express - December 3rd, 2019
- What Is The Best Time To Eat Dinner To Avoid Weight Gain? Here's The Answer Revealed - Doctor NDTV - December 3rd, 2019
- Latest Research | Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019 Growth, Share Analysis and Business Strategy By Top players : Ajinomoto Co. Inc.,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Massive growth of Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019: Major Players- GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Nutrisystem, Atkins Nutritionals, Vivus,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Analysis by Top Companies, Driver, Existing Trends and Global Forecast by 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Loss And Diet Management Products And Services Market Emerging Trends and Global Demands 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market, by Segmentation: Based on Product, Application and Region 2018 to 2028 - Space Market Research - December 3rd, 2019
- How to use chia seed water for weight loss - The Indian Express - December 3rd, 2019
- Exhaustive Study on Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019-2028 Potentially Growing Significant Business Opportunities with Top Companies -... - December 3rd, 2019
- From Weight Loss to Heart Health, Here's Why You Must Eat Pistachios This Winter - Krishi Jagran - December 3rd, 2019
- DietDemand Experts Advise on Best Weight Control Practices Over Thanksgiving Weekend - StreetInsider.com - November 29th, 2019
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Introduces New Book by World-Renowned Weight Management Expert - Newswise - November 29th, 2019
- Global Weight Management Market 2025: Top Competitive Players Herbalife International, Inc., NutriSystem, Inc., Weight Watchers International, Inc. -... - November 29th, 2019
- BioCorRx on growth fast-track with robust pipeline, programs for substance use recovery, weight loss - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 29th, 2019
- Kindred Biosciences Receives FDA Approval of Zimeta(TM) (dipyrone injection) for the Control of Pyrexia in Horses - P&T Community - November 29th, 2019
- DA Davidson Weighs in on Weight Watchers International, Inc.s Q4 2019 Earnings (NASDAQ:WW) - TechNewsObserver - November 29th, 2019
- How Jamun seeds can be helpful in controlling diabetes - Times of India - November 29th, 2019
- Six low-carb yet tasty breakfast options you should try - NewsBytes - November 29th, 2019
- For Long Term Weight Loss, Focus On Healthy Habits Not Numbers - NPR - November 29th, 2019
- DietDemand Experts Advise on Best Weight Control Practices Over Thanksgiving Weekend - Financialbuzz.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Changing Market Trends, New Business Opportunities Analysis and Forecast with Revenue Growth 2019-2025 -... - November 27th, 2019
- Digbi Health's Gut Biome and DNA-Based Weight Loss and Diabetes Management Program Launches with Blue Shield of California - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss Most Likely to Improve -Cell Function in Patients With Obesity, IFG - Endocrinology Advisor - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Changing Market Trends, New Business Opportunities Analysis and Forecast with Revenue Growth 2019-2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 27th, 2019
- Yes, you can avoid weight gain over the holidays! - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - November 27th, 2019
- Carlsbad wrestlers Najera and Fuentes share Thanksgiving diets - Carlsbad Current Argus - November 27th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss: 6 Easy Ways To Naturally Eat Less Without Feeling Starved - Doctor NDTV - November 27th, 2019
- Kindred Biosciences Receives FDA Approval of Zimeta (dipyrone injection) for the Control of Pyrexia in Horses - TheHorse.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Management Market to Develop Rapidly by 2017 to 2026 - Space Market Research - November 27th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Insights, Future Scope, Business Opportunities, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook 2028 - Industry... - November 27th, 2019
- What The Advance Of CWD Means For Wisconsin's Elk - WisContext - November 27th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Business Tactics, Company Profile & Growth Forecast Till 2028 - Industry Planning - November 27th, 2019
- Heart attack: Doing this exercise for less than an hour a week may slash your risk - Express - November 27th, 2019
- With A Rebrand And A New App, Will WW International Rebound In 2020? - The Motley Fool - November 23rd, 2019
- Medifast: Gaining Profits from Losing Weight - Moneyshow.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'This Is Us': Toby Just Took the Weight Loss Thing Too Far, and Fans Can't Take It - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2019
- Turnips: Nutrition, Calories, and Benefits - Healthline - November 23rd, 2019
- Include chickpea to your breakfast to lose weight quickly - Times of India - November 23rd, 2019
- Fat-shaming obese people will not help them lose weight. Here is what experts want you to know - TODAYonline - November 23rd, 2019
- Body Shape Management Market Outlooks, Future Forecasts, Key players , and Competitive Analysis 2025 | Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health &... - November 23rd, 2019
- Obesity Management in People with Diabetes - National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) - November 21st, 2019
- Weight management market anlysis 2019-2026 | Evaluation of Recent Industry Developments and Opportunity Assessment - The Chicago Sentinel - November 21st, 2019
- Monitoring Weight in Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Treated With Ibrutinib - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 21st, 2019
- How to protect yourself from chronic wasting disease in deer - PennLive - November 21st, 2019
- Not Just Weight Loss Intermittent Fasting Can Help You Lead Longer, Healthier Life Too; Know Other Health Benefits Of Following This Diet - NDTV News - November 21st, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Diets Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2025 - Statsflash - November 21st, 2019
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: This Diet May Help You Fight Flu As Well, Says Study; Know Other Amazing Health Benefits Of Keto Diet - Doctor NDTV - November 21st, 2019
- Sipping water throughout the day is the key for weight loss, says new research - Wales Online - November 21st, 2019
- Boiling or steaming: Which method is better to cook veggies? - Times of India - November 21st, 2019
- The Latest Weight Loss Pills That WorkAnd the Ones That Don't - msnNOW - November 17th, 2019
- If You Do Intermittent Fasting, Here's What Doctors Suggest If You're Not Losing Weight - POPSUGAR - November 17th, 2019
- Grant will explore low vision's impact on healthy lifestyle behaviors - UAB News - November 17th, 2019
- Sipping water throughout the day is the key for weight loss, says new research - MyLondon - November 17th, 2019
- Three north country residents honored at 'Health Hero' luncheon - NNY360 - November 17th, 2019
- Elderly should be 'offered weight loss surgery to help control diabetes' - inews - November 17th, 2019
- Weight Management: Get Helpful Tips - November 9th, 2019
- CentraCare Weight Management | Central Minnesota Weight Loss - October 4th, 2019
- Weight Management at Stormont Vail Health : Personalized Plan ... - October 4th, 2019
- Weight Management Center - Gatewood | Wake Forest Baptist Health - October 4th, 2019
- Weight management - Health and wellbeing - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management - Metro Health Hospital - September 14th, 2019