The best snacks for weight loss are those that contribute to your overall health goals.
Image Credit: PeopleImages/E+/GettyImages
When trying to lose weight, we typically think about how we need to eat less, or that we need to cut out certain types of foods from our diet. Snacking often gets lumped into this line of thinking: "I need to snack less" or "I need to stop snacking altogether."
It's easy to see why snacking gets a bad rap. Salty snacks (potato chips and pretzels), desserts (doughnuts and cookies), candy (chocolate bars and gummy bears) and sweetened beverages (soda and sugary coffee drinks) are what we're predominately snacking on, according to a May 2016 article published in Advances in Nutrition.
But eating between meals doesn't have to mean stalled weight loss or even weight gain. Snacking can actually help you lose weight and eat a more nutrient-rich diet if you choose healthier options.
The key to healthy snacking while losing weight is balancing what you're eating at breakfast, lunch and dinner with your in-between meal noshes. Focusing on these three factors will help you avoid making common snacking mistakes:
Did you know that keeping a food diary is one of the most effective ways to manage your weight? Download the MyPlate app to easily track calories, stay focused and achieve your goals!
5 Best Snacks When Youre Trying to Lose Weight
These are delicious and healthy snacks to consider if you're trying to shed some pounds.
Yogurt is an optimal choice for snacking because it's pre-portioned, nutrient-dense and deliciously versatile you can go savory or sweet. It's also packed with satiating protein: A cup of regular yogurt has about 9 grams of protein and Greek yogurt contains more than 20 grams of protein, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
When shopping for yogurt, opting for plain with no added sugar is your best bet. If you do choose a flavored yogurt, look for one that is lower in added sugars and keep in mind the recommended limits on added sugars women should consume no more than 25 grams of added sugar per day, while men shouldn't get more than 36 daily grams, according to the American Heart Association.
If you go with a plant-based option and there are many look for one with added protein and limited added sugars.
Nuts in general can aid in weight loss. Case in point: A September 2019 analysis published in BMJ Nutrition, Prevention & Health found that consuming just a half-serving of nuts (about 24 pistachios or 12 almonds) each day is linked to a lower risk of obesity.
Pistachios are unique, however, because they're often found in-shell, and a June 2011 study published in Appetite found that the shells help to slow down the speed at which you snack, resulting in fewer calories consumed overall.
But all pistachios in or out of the shell make for a healthy, fiber- and protein-rich snack. If you're craving something salty, skip the potato chips and pretzels and try pistachios instead.
3. Pulses: Beans, Peas and Lentils
Did you know eating pulses like black beans and green peas may help you lose weight, without even trying? A May 2016 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that including pulses in your daily diet led to small yet significant weight loss, whether or not that was the intention.
Don't worry, this doesn't mean you need to start snacking on a can of black beans (but if that's your thing, have at it). When it comes to snack time, try roasting chickpeas at home (they're crunchy like chips), dipping veggies in hummus or even picking healthier packaged options like roasted fava, lupini or chickpeas from the store.
If you struggle with eating enough fruits and veggies, smoothies are an easy way to sneak them in. Aim for adding at least one serving of fruit and one serving of vegetables in each smoothie. This can be a cup of raw spinach, an apple or a cup of berries or riced cauliflower. Avoid common smoothie mistakes like adding in tons of sweeteners from sweetened nut milk or flavored yogurts.
We know fruits and vegetables can help us lose weight; they're high in fiber and are nutrient-dense while remaining low in calories. Despite this, we still don't eat enough. Only 13 percent of Americans meet the daily recommended intake of fruit and about 9 percent consume enough vegetables, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Apples are where it's at when it comes to fruit and weight loss, according to a September 2015 analysis published in PLOS Medicine. The researchers tapped apples (followed by berries) as one of the top fruits for managing your weight.
Need more convincing? A paper from Obesity Reviews, published in March 2017, found that ursolic acid a compound found in apple peels is linked to an increase in thermogenesis (calorie burn), improved physical fitness and increased muscle mass.
So why the nut butter? Well, it tastes good, for starters. But the healthy fats found in nuts and nut butter can also support your weight-loss goals. Dietary fats slow our digestion, so we feel fuller longer. But keep portion size in mind. One to two tablespoons is a healthy portion when it comes to snacking.
3 Snacks to Avoid for Weight Loss
If you're trying to lose weight, limit these popular snack foods.
We love our salty snacks, and potato chips appear to be the fan-favorite. They currently rank number one in this snack food category, according to a January 2020 article published by the Institute of Food Technologists.
Potato chips are beloved for their salty crunch, but they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to their nutritional attributes. First, they're high in sodium, which is something Americans consume too much of as it is, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
They're also void of any real vitamin and mineral offerings. Potato chips contain some potassium and vitamin C because of the potato, but they lack fiber and protein, two key nutrients when it comes to weight loss.
We drink a lot of soda. Sugar-sweetened beverages, including soda, are one of the most consumed snack foods, per a May 2016 study published in Advances in Nutrition.
There's nothing redeeming about soda. A 12-ounce bottle has about 37 grams of added sugar about 50 percent more than women should consume in an entire day.
Sipping on diet soda as a way to quell your hunger isn't a healthy weight-loss strategy either. We shouldn't ignore our hunger cues. Instead, try eating one of the healthy snacks above, which will truly help satisfy your hunger while delivering healthy nutrients to your body.
About 50 percent of our diet comes from carbohydrates, but high-quality carbs like whole grains and fruit make up less than 10 percent of our entire diet. The remaining 40 percent or so comes from refined grains like sugary cereals, baked goods and white bread.
If grabbing a scone or muffin is your go-to snack, think about a healthier option like fruit and nuts or yogurt instead. This will help to cut down on added sugars, too.
Read the original:
The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet - November 9th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020