The recipe for six-pack abs isnt all that complicated: Crank out an abs workout, eat a nutrient-rich diet, and consume fewer late-night pizzas in a single sitting. The undisputed holy grail of mens fitness is good for more than just an extra boost of confidence whenever you have cause to peel off your shirt, too. The best way to avoid injury, whether in the gym, at home, or at the workplace, is by building a strong core, says Edwin Wealth, NASM-CPT and trainer at Equinox. Want to do yoga better? Run faster? Squat heavier? Carry the groceries without wincing? It all begins with your core.
But alas, this process doesnt happen overnight. And by now, the washboard abs industrial complex has produced such a dizzying volume of exercises, tricks, and gizmos promising to transform your midsection into a Hemsworth brothers midsection that even after youve settled on a strategy, its hard not to wonder whether all that diligence and discipline is really making a difference.
Good news: Thanks to some of the best trainers in the country, were going to help you out. Below are their favourite abs exercises, along with a few pro tips to ensure that youre executing each one perfectly. Incorporate them la carte into your existing routineor, if youre feeling ambitious, turn all six into an abs workout circuit. Try two sets of each movement, resting for 30 seconds between each set.
Do it: Lying face down on the ground, prop yourself up into a forearm plank position. Make sure your elbows are aligned underneath your shoulders, and that your hands are balled up in fists. Your forearms should be parallel to one another. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds per set.
Trainer tip: You know planks, right? Its easy to go through the motions here. Dont do it. The key is to squeeze your entire bodyquads, glutes, core, back, and fistsas tight as possible while taking diaphoretic breathes throughout the hold, says Wealth. No matter how many times youve done it, this exercise is as difficult as youre willing to make it.
Do it: Lay face up on the floor with arms straight above your shoulders. To start, bring your knees directly over your hips and bend at the knee so that your calf forms a 90-degree angle with your thigh. Next, simultaneously lower your left arm above your head while straightening your right leg and sending it towards the floor. Pause, return to the starting position, and then repeat on the opposite side. Do 14 alternating reps to complete one set.
Trainer tip: Make sure your lower back stays in contact with the floor, and try to keep your breathing as regular as possible, says Denzel Allen, a StrongFirst trainer in San Francisco. I like this movement because it helps to train left-right coordination between the upper and lower extremities, which can help improve cognitive function, too.
Equipment: None. (No excuses.)
Do it: Get into a cannonball-type shape on your back, hugging your knees into your chestyes, just like youre at the pool at summer camp again. Simultaneously extend your legs and arms outwards into a hollow position, pressing your lower back to the floor. Hold for five seconds before curling up again, and complete five reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Engage as much as possible during the extension phase, and use the cannonball for recovery, suggests Ashley Wilking, Nike master trainer and a trainer at Rumble Boxing. Just don't completely let go. Think of it like youre holding a crunch!
Equipment: Single medium-weight dumbbell.
Do it: Stand with your feet hip-width apart and hold a dumbbell in your right hand, palm facing inwards towards the torso. Keep your back straight, activate your core, and then bend to the side as far as possiblebut only at the waist. Hold for one second at the bottom of your range of motion, and return to start for one rep. Do between 12 and 20 reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Be smart when you pick the weight, says Wealth. It shouldnt feel impossible. Using reasonable weights will help you focus on keeping your abs tight during the exercise for maximum results. And keep that tempo nice and slow. The real six-pack is not the lift itselfits the burning sensation you feel along the way.
Equipment: Barbellno weights, though. For now.
Do it: With your feet shoulder-width apart, lift a barbell off the rig, centering it evenly across your shoulders. (This version of the squat targets the core, not the legs, and so you should be using far less weight than you would for a traditional back squat.) Send your glutes back like youre lowering into a chair, bending at the knees as deeply as possible. Press through your heels to return to the starting position for one rep. Do 12 reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Think about maintaining tension in your abs throughout the entire movement, says Wealth. Once you have the movement mastered, you can add additional weights to the barbell. By going up in small increments, though, youll stay injury-free.
Do it: Think of this as an upside-down dead bug. Start in a tabletop position, with your shoulders over wrists and hips over knees. Engage your core while simultaneously lifting your right arm and left leg. Your foot should be flexed as you kick back, and your palm should face in towards your body. Pause for one second when your arm and leg are at the same height as your torso, and then bring your elbow and knee to touch underneath the body. Repeat on the other side for one rep, and do five reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Be careful not to hyperextend your elbows! Maintaining a slight bend fires up those triceps, says Wilking. Keep the neck long by looking down and a few inches in front of you, and use the exhale portion of each breath to create tension.
How to lose weight & build muscles like this guy who transformed his body to get rid of a constant back pain
How to lose weight like this guy who lost 27 kgs following a calorie deficit diet & exercising at home
The best back exercises: the only workout you need for that perfect V-shape torso
More on Fitness
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- 7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard - June 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of David Dobrik, Who is Skipping Workouts and Eating Watermelon Sandwiches - GQ - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Tesco worker lost 7 stone and dropped five dress sizes with this diet plan - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The urinary tract - Loma Linda University Health - June 22nd, 2020
- We know what to eat for a good heart, but what about when to eat? - The New Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Alton Telegraph - June 21st, 2020
- Sleep, eat, exercise and repeat: De-clutter your mind to maintain mental well-being - Economic Times - June 21st, 2020
- Kids as young as eight showing signs of adult diabetes due to poor diet and lack of exercise, study war - The Sun - June 21st, 2020
- Father's Day 2020: Expert Gives 6 Health Tips That All Fathers Must Follow - Doctor NDTV - June 21st, 2020
- You dont have to lose weight in lockdown: the social media stars on a body positive mission - Evening Standard - June 21st, 2020
- Kiara Advani: Diet and exercise secrets of the Bollywood star to stay fit REVEALED - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2020
- How bacteria in your gut interact with the mind and body - Health24 - June 21st, 2020
- Guy Follows Mike Tysons Insane Diet And Workout Routine And One Of The Meals Includes 6 Bananas - BroBible - June 21st, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: From Shilpa Shetty to Kareena Kapoor, these Bollywood divas swear by yoga... - Hindustan Times - June 21st, 2020
- Were in the Era of Peak Fitness TrackingHeres How to Keep That Relationship Healthy - Well+Good - June 21st, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: Avoid one type of drink to get rid of the harmful belly fat - Express.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Is weight loss faster if you add a fasting diet to cardio? - T3 - June 20th, 2020
- Industry VoicesEnsuring long-term brain health in the time of COVID-19 - FierceHealthcare - June 20th, 2020
- There is no perfect diet that works for every metabolism or body type - New Scientist News - June 20th, 2020
- How much water should you drink in a day? - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Salma Hayek has the perfect fast and effective workout - HOLA USA - June 20th, 2020
- This core exercise will help you get rid of belly fat - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020