The recipe for six-pack abs isnt all that complicated: Crank out an abs workout, eat a nutrient-rich diet, and consume fewer late-night pizzas in a single sitting. The undisputed holy grail of mens fitness is good for more than just an extra boost of confidence whenever you have cause to peel off your shirt, too. The best way to avoid injury, whether in the gym, at home, or at the workplace, is by building a strong core, says Edwin Wealth, NASM-CPT and trainer at Equinox. Want to do yoga better? Run faster? Squat heavier? Carry the groceries without wincing? It all begins with your core.
But alas, this process doesnt happen overnight. And by now, the washboard abs industrial complex has produced such a dizzying volume of exercises, tricks, and gizmos promising to transform your midsection into a Hemsworth brothers midsection that even after youve settled on a strategy, its hard not to wonder whether all that diligence and discipline is really making a difference.
Good news: Thanks to some of the best trainers in the country, were going to help you out. Below are their favourite abs exercises, along with a few pro tips to ensure that youre executing each one perfectly. Incorporate them la carte into your existing routineor, if youre feeling ambitious, turn all six into an abs workout circuit. Try two sets of each movement, resting for 30 seconds between each set.
Do it: Lying face down on the ground, prop yourself up into a forearm plank position. Make sure your elbows are aligned underneath your shoulders, and that your hands are balled up in fists. Your forearms should be parallel to one another. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds per set.
Trainer tip: You know planks, right? Its easy to go through the motions here. Dont do it. The key is to squeeze your entire bodyquads, glutes, core, back, and fistsas tight as possible while taking diaphoretic breathes throughout the hold, says Wealth. No matter how many times youve done it, this exercise is as difficult as youre willing to make it.
Do it: Lay face up on the floor with arms straight above your shoulders. To start, bring your knees directly over your hips and bend at the knee so that your calf forms a 90-degree angle with your thigh. Next, simultaneously lower your left arm above your head while straightening your right leg and sending it towards the floor. Pause, return to the starting position, and then repeat on the opposite side. Do 14 alternating reps to complete one set.
Trainer tip: Make sure your lower back stays in contact with the floor, and try to keep your breathing as regular as possible, says Denzel Allen, a StrongFirst trainer in San Francisco. I like this movement because it helps to train left-right coordination between the upper and lower extremities, which can help improve cognitive function, too.
Equipment: None. (No excuses.)
Do it: Get into a cannonball-type shape on your back, hugging your knees into your chestyes, just like youre at the pool at summer camp again. Simultaneously extend your legs and arms outwards into a hollow position, pressing your lower back to the floor. Hold for five seconds before curling up again, and complete five reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Engage as much as possible during the extension phase, and use the cannonball for recovery, suggests Ashley Wilking, Nike master trainer and a trainer at Rumble Boxing. Just don't completely let go. Think of it like youre holding a crunch!
Equipment: Single medium-weight dumbbell.
Do it: Stand with your feet hip-width apart and hold a dumbbell in your right hand, palm facing inwards towards the torso. Keep your back straight, activate your core, and then bend to the side as far as possiblebut only at the waist. Hold for one second at the bottom of your range of motion, and return to start for one rep. Do between 12 and 20 reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Be smart when you pick the weight, says Wealth. It shouldnt feel impossible. Using reasonable weights will help you focus on keeping your abs tight during the exercise for maximum results. And keep that tempo nice and slow. The real six-pack is not the lift itselfits the burning sensation you feel along the way.
Equipment: Barbellno weights, though. For now.
Do it: With your feet shoulder-width apart, lift a barbell off the rig, centering it evenly across your shoulders. (This version of the squat targets the core, not the legs, and so you should be using far less weight than you would for a traditional back squat.) Send your glutes back like youre lowering into a chair, bending at the knees as deeply as possible. Press through your heels to return to the starting position for one rep. Do 12 reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Think about maintaining tension in your abs throughout the entire movement, says Wealth. Once you have the movement mastered, you can add additional weights to the barbell. By going up in small increments, though, youll stay injury-free.
Do it: Think of this as an upside-down dead bug. Start in a tabletop position, with your shoulders over wrists and hips over knees. Engage your core while simultaneously lifting your right arm and left leg. Your foot should be flexed as you kick back, and your palm should face in towards your body. Pause for one second when your arm and leg are at the same height as your torso, and then bring your elbow and knee to touch underneath the body. Repeat on the other side for one rep, and do five reps for one set.
Trainer tip: Be careful not to hyperextend your elbows! Maintaining a slight bend fires up those triceps, says Wilking. Keep the neck long by looking down and a few inches in front of you, and use the exhale portion of each breath to create tension.
How to lose weight & build muscles like this guy who transformed his body to get rid of a constant back pain
How to lose weight like this guy who lost 27 kgs following a calorie deficit diet & exercising at home
The best back exercises: the only workout you need for that perfect V-shape torso
More on Fitness
- Aerobic exercise, improved diet could slow memory problems in nursing home residents - News - McKnight's Long Term Care News - December 2nd, 2019
- Diet, Exercise, and Apologize to Your Sister: A Prescription for Long-Term Health - Tennessee Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Susanna Reid weight loss: GMB host cut one thing from diet plan to shed 1st 7lb - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Back pain remedies: Exercise, diet, and numerous other ways to prevent back pain - Republic World - Republic World - December 2nd, 2019
- Donald Trump Challenged to Go Vegan in January for $1 Million Donation to Veterans - Newsweek - December 2nd, 2019
- UNC athletes find allies in effort to avoid eating disorder risks - The Daily Tar Heel - December 2nd, 2019
- How to live 40 percent longer | Health - Williston Daily Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- What is Diet Culture and 4 Steps to Navigate It - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- Midlife Fitness Files: Michael Mosley on creating the 5:2 diet and reversing his diabetes - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat: Best Exercise To Have Fantastic Abs - International Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- The Power of Point of Care in the Marketing Channel - DTC Perspectives Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- Thought for Food: Walter Willett on Diet for Personal and Planetary Health - The Good Men Project - December 2nd, 2019
- Can Green Coffee Really Help You Lose Weight? Find The Answer Here - NDTV News - December 2nd, 2019
- $1 Million Offer to President Trump: Go Vegan for January and the Veterans Will Receive $1M - VEGWORLD Magazine - December 1st, 2019
- Medical News Today: Possible reasons weight loss is not working - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Grueling gym routines, restrictive diets, and no dating: K-pop stars tell us about the dark side of their industry - Business Insider - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants being thrown under the bus - Peace Arch News - December 1st, 2019
- Excessive hygiene: Can this be a bad thing? - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise could increase life expectancy - Express - December 1st, 2019
- Michelle McManus weight loss: Singer used this diet plan to shed impressive 10 stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 18 kgs without hiring a personal trainer or a dietician - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 1st, 2019
- Learn to say 'no' as well as ho-ho this holiday season - theday.com - December 1st, 2019
- Serena Williams Cheats on Her Diet in a Truly Indulgent Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 1st, 2019
- The Eating And Exercise Habits Behind Elsa Pataky's Seriously Strong Physique - Women's Health - December 1st, 2019
- Exercise will help you lose belly fat, but do away with associated myths first - TheHealthSite - December 1st, 2019
- Jamie Oliver weight loss: TV chef ditched one food to shed an astounding two stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- High blood pressure: Add this green fruit to your breakfast to lower your reading - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How to master intuitive eating during the toughest time of the year - Inverse - December 1st, 2019
- How to recover from Thanksgiving - KRON4 - December 1st, 2019
- Mike Sorrentino Shocked Family With His Post-Prison Weight Loss - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2019
- Chichester ranks in second place in a survey to find the healthiest town - Chichester Observer - December 1st, 2019
- Weight Loss With Swimming: THIS is why swimming is the BEST weight loss exercise - PINKVILLA - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants 'being thrown under the bus' - BCLocalNews - December 1st, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Include this 55p food in your diet to lower your blood sugar - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How one woman lost 95 pounds and still got her Taco Bell fix - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Circulation - South Florida Reporter - December 1st, 2019
- Miranda Lambert Gets Candid About Struggling With Ups and Downs in Weight - countryliving.com - November 29th, 2019
- 'The Bachelor': Cassie Randolph Reveals Her Skincare, Diet, and Workout Routine - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 29th, 2019
- Heart-Healthy Diet May Improve Brain And Memory Functioning; Study - NDTV Food - November 29th, 2019
- 10 Most Expensive Diets Only Celebrities Can Afford | TheRichest - TheRichest - November 29th, 2019
- High blood pressure in the morning: What does it mean? - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2019
- How to lose weight according to a doctor who lost 53 kgs by following this systematic approach to weight loss - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 29th, 2019
- Fitness column: Put stretching in its proper place to tackle workout priorities - Edmonton Journal - November 29th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Eating this tasty treat could help lower blood sugar - Express - November 29th, 2019
- Now is the Time for Black Men to Get Serious about Their Health - Milwaukee Courier Weekly Newspaper - November 29th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Taking this supplement could help lower your reading - Express - November 29th, 2019
- The keto diet: what to know about the extreme diet phenomenon - Vox.com - November 27th, 2019
- Lorraine Kelly weight loss: ITV star drops two dress sizes by cutting out one thing - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Fear of dementia overtakes cancer for older Australians, as new study looks at lifestyle and diet options - ABC News - November 27th, 2019
- Conor McGregor Cheats on His Diet in the Best Way Possible - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 27th, 2019
- Gut microbes may predict whether exercising will prevent diabetes - New Scientist News - November 27th, 2019
- My journey to ditch the fad diets and lower my stress this is what worked - NBC News - November 27th, 2019
- Michigan Veteran Runs 22 Hours to Support Others Living with PTSD - runnersworld.com - November 27th, 2019
- Best Exercise for Diabetes: THESE workouts with medication and a healthy diet can help you to fight diabetes - PINKVILLA - November 27th, 2019
- Importance of early detection for colorectal cancer - WANE - November 27th, 2019
- Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino's Family Was 'Shocked' When They Saw His Prison Weight Loss - PEOPLE.com - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: Eating this sweet snack could increase life expectancy - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Plant-Based Diet Linked to Improved Cognitive Health - One Green Planet - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise found to be best for increasing life expectancy - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Carthage hospital offers information and a free dinner - NNY360 - November 27th, 2019
- Is there such a thing as the perfect exercise for overall health? - Sydney Morning Herald - November 27th, 2019
- Vegan and fitness expert Stefanie Moir on how to become stronger, healthier and happier - The National - November 27th, 2019
- Risk factors, and the right foods to eat to keep bones healthy - PotomacLocal.com - November 27th, 2019
- How many calories are in that Thanksgiving meal? (And what does it take to burn it off?) - USA TODAY - November 27th, 2019
- Heart attack: The winter drink that could stave off the life-threatening condition - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Weight loss: Lose 10 pounds in one week with this simple at home fitness workout - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Dementia: Playing this game may prevent the development of symptoms - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Americans Still Eat Too Many Processed Carbs, But What About Runners? - runnersworld.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best snacks to eat that burn fat while you sleep revealed - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Weight loss: Here's why you must consume amla juice to get rid of the belly fat! - Times of India - November 27th, 2019
- TimelyAnd Highly RelevantInsights From Healthcare Innovator And Leader: The Late Bernard Tyson - Forbes - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: Best diet to increase life expectancy - how often should you eat? - Express - November 27th, 2019
- What Experts Really Think About the Biggest Wellness Trends of 2019 - POPSUGAR - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss Surgery is the Most Powerful Weapon There is Against Obesity, says West Medical - PR Web - November 27th, 2019
- Participants needed for clinical trial sponsored by Alzheimer's Association in Winston-Salem - WXII12 Winston-Salem - November 27th, 2019
- McClary column: Meat or no-meat: That is the question - South Strand news - November 27th, 2019
- Plant-Based Diet Linked to Improved Cognitive Health - Market Research Feed - November 27th, 2019
- Belly Fat Diet: 6 Ayurvedic Herbs That Can Speed Up Belly Fat Loss - Doctor NDTV - November 27th, 2019
- A pill for loneliness isn't the answer to our modern "epidemic" - Quartz - November 27th, 2019
- Thom Evans fitness: The three things the X Factor star does to stay in shape - Express.co.uk - November 27th, 2019