The secret lies in following a simple lifestyle, eating simple, exercise, stop worrying, meditation and a regular skin and hair care programme, writes Suparna Trikha
I find most people today find ageing to be a malady, seeking solutions in jars and bottles, potions and lotions of promises of timeless youth and beauty. If there were such a remedy, believe me, the discoverer would have become a multi-billionaire ten times over!
Ageing is something that affects everyone in todays world. I find that even the late 35 year olds start worrying about ageing, little realising that their worry itself could lead to a stray wrinkle here or there.
So where lies the answer to ageless beauty? Is it in the use of never ending beauty products? Or in the new age injectables like Botox and the miracles of plastic surgery and fillers?
How does one find the answer to the elixir of youth and eternal glowing skin?
My answers would perhaps be conservative. Not that I completely believe that the old age rishis and munis had flawless skins and did not age while meditating in the jungles, but to a very large extent it definitely makes me ruminate about their lifestyles.
Many years ago, when I was in college, my mother had organised for a group of people to visit Indonesia on an educational and cultural tour. A certain Professor Bendre who was heading the JJ School of Art at that time also accompanied her with his wife. Mrs Bendre must have been in her 50s and looked no more than to be in her late 20s! Except for her graying hair, her dusky skin was flawless and taut. Her timeless beauty remains ingrained in my mind to date. The secret to this was perhaps the simple diet that she followed she only ate fresh fruits, dry fruit and juices.
I have travelled quite extensively in my younger years and met people from various walks of life. Once I met a young 92 year old Colonel, retired from the Kumaon regiment. He had a perfect eye sight, walked straight and did all his driving and gardening himself. He was a living legend of sorts and passed on very recently at the age of 102! His secret, as he shared, was meditation in the morning, breakfast of a king, lunch of a prince and dinner of a pauper. Although that did not stop him from having his two whiskies every evening! He enjoyed being one with nature, pottering around in his herb garden, planting his favourite rosemary, chamomile, lettuce, etc. At 102, that was quite an achievement.
So besides my natural remedies, I always tell people (who come asking for suggestions to slow the ageing process) to follow a simple lifestyle, eat simple, exercise, destress, stop worrying, meditate and of course follow a regular skin and hair care programme.
We abuse our bodies and minds so much that we spend double the amount of time trying to find solutions to undo the damage we have already done.
The other day, I was sitting with the chairman of a well known domestic airline whose skin looked completely dehydrated. As I was trying to offer solutions to the problem, I noticed that his exquisite chamber overlooked a plush green expanse of never ending trees and beautifully trimmed bushes and the rarest of the flowers. There was a huge window to overlook this but no balcony to breathe in the fresh air. Hydrating your skin with fresh air and keeping it away from the maladies of air conditioning is so important.
So to make things easier for you, the answer to ageless youth and beauty is a combination of good health, simple diet, exercise, less stress and a regular skin care programme which would mean taking care of ones skin from an early age.
I am astounded at mothers who tell their daughters at 13 to not bother about their skin as now was not the time. I know for sure that the same mothers 10 years down would run to dermatologists to find a fix for their daughters acne marks since that might affect the marriage proposals.
Skin care must be a lifestyle just like brushing your teeth in the morning which we are taught to do from the age of 2 years. Infact, you would be surprised to know that a 5 minutes of skin cleansing, toning and moisturising routine takes you a long way as to what our skin will look like later in the day.
Lots of fresh raw food, plenty of water, regular exercise, sleep, destressing whenever you get the time to do so, regular skin care, meditation is what will define how you are going to look like at 90.
The writer is a nature care, beauty expert
Originally posted here:
The art of ageing gracefully - Daily Pioneer
- Tips on using diet and exercise to prevent heart disease - WISHTV.com - February 19th, 2020
- Exercise Makes It Easier To Maintain A Healthy Diet, Doesnt Cause Increased Appetite - Study Finds - February 19th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet scores another win for longevity by improving microbiome - KTVZ - February 19th, 2020
- As Wave of Baby Boomers Enter Retirement, Journey Capital and SilverPoint Senior Living Team Up to Build Modern Senior Living Communities - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2020
- Personal trainers given tools to spot 'red flags' of eating disorders - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 19th, 2020
- How to eat, sleep, train and boost your mood during your menstrual cycle - Telegraph.co.uk - February 19th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to combine intermittent fasting & keto to lose weight, as per this guy who lost 33 kg - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- Joel Reece encourages students to know their eating habits and avoid excessive refined carbohydrates - Ke Alakai - February 15th, 2020
- What Really Happens to Your Body When You Lose 10 Pounds - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 15th, 2020
- Gearing up for my annual battle with cabin fever - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - February 15th, 2020
- Various classes offer students and community opportunities to practice mindfulness - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 15th, 2020
- What we can all learn from Henry Cavill's health and wellbeing rituals - harpersbazaar.com - February 15th, 2020
- Using the bodys natural cycle to improve shift workers health - Medical News Today - February 15th, 2020
- Disordered Eating and Compulsive Exercise in Collegiate Athletes: Applications for Sport and Research - United States Sports Academy Sports Journal - February 15th, 2020
- Springfield Hospital Looks To Sever Ties With Clinics In Bankruptcy Plan - Vermont Public Radio - February 15th, 2020
- Following a keto diet could weaken your bones and increase your risk of injury - Luton Today - February 15th, 2020
- Start your Health Journey with Live Well Exercise Clinic - North Shore News - February 15th, 2020
- NewsRadio 1120 KMOX Released an Interview With STL Beds Owners and Family Members Dave and Doug Belleville - PR Web - February 15th, 2020
- Leg Cramps on Keto: Causes, Treatment, and More - Healthline - February 15th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for February 14 - Mumbai Mirror - February 15th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani Reveals 15 Things She Does To Look So Young - TheThings - February 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about carbs - 9Honey - February 15th, 2020
- The Best Diet And Fitness Tips Kate Middleton Swears By - Women's Health - February 12th, 2020
- Is there a connection between diabetes and heart health? - Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- FHN News: 20 tips for a healthy heart this Valentines Day - Freeport Journal-Standard - February 12th, 2020
- Bob Roper | The fires of California: Past the tipping point? - YubaNet - February 12th, 2020
- This Research-Backed Trick Can Help Healthy Eating Stick - Runner's World - February 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: Do this much exercise each week to increase your life expectancy - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Steps to Improve and Maintain Your Heart Health - DeKalb Daily Chronicle - February 12th, 2020
- This Man Lost 82 Pounds Through Fasting and Tackling the Carnivore Diet - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Reducing the Risks - outsmartmagazine.com - February 12th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting is the best diet for weight loss, but the Mediterranean diet is easier to stick to and healthier overall, study finds - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- What is the alkaline diet and can it lead to weight loss? - ABC News - February 12th, 2020
- Embracing Your Postpartum Body And Ignoring The Pressure To "Bounce Back" - GirlTalkHQ - February 12th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield fitness: This Morning presenter reveals how he stays in shape - Express - February 12th, 2020
- Diabetes support group's good start The Voice - The Spalding and South Holland Voice - February 12th, 2020
- Lifestyle secrets of some of the worlds oldest people - Daily Nation - February 12th, 2020
- Executives reveal which fad diets actually work - The Australian Financial Review - February 12th, 2020
- A Cigarette in One Hand and a Fitbit on the Other - Medscape - February 12th, 2020
- These 4 Industries Trending for Growth This Year - Small Business Trends - February 9th, 2020
- Beyond Drug Therapy: Comprehensive lung cancer treatment approach at Ohio State integrates diet, exercise, physical therapy and relaxation techniques... - February 9th, 2020
- The power of aerobic exercise - The New Times - February 9th, 2020
- Lose visceral fat: How to get rid of the dangerous belly fat - four steps to follow - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Expert reveals fat-busting diet plan - what can you eat? - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Happy Meals: Making Positive Change To Diet Also Helps Ward Off Depression - Study Finds - February 9th, 2020
- What is the effect of optimism on diet quality? - Medical News Bulletin - February 9th, 2020
- Lifestyle secrets of some of the world's oldest people - nation.co.ke - February 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What parents should know and do - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - February 9th, 2020
- Psychiatric practice opened in The Mill - observer-me.com - February 9th, 2020
- Add Fat to Diet the Healthy Way by Avoiding These Common Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 9th, 2020
- Save Money: Lose Weight: Are the Eat Yourself Healthy and Pegan diet easy to follow? - Express - February 9th, 2020
- Compare popular diets in one place with the help of a nutritionist - ABC News - February 9th, 2020
- Taylor Swift And The Gray Area Of Disordered Eating - BuzzFeed News - February 9th, 2020
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 20 kg with the help of this diet & CrossFit routine - GQ India - February 9th, 2020
- Charlize Theron Credits Pilates And A Plant-Based Diet For Her Oscar-Worthy Physique - Women's Health - February 9th, 2020
- Changing Careers Later in Life By Furthering Your Education and Wellness - FE News - February 9th, 2020
- Vitagene DNA will give you a diet plan genetically tailored to you - Deseret News - January 29th, 2020
- Charlize Theron Losing Weight From Diet & Exercise Routine - Radar Online - January 29th, 2020
- How to lower blood pressure with a heart-healthy diet and exercise - INSIDER - January 29th, 2020
- The benefits of including dairy in your diet - Thecountypress - January 29th, 2020
- Lorraine Kelly weight loss: ITV star used one trick to drop two dress sizes - what was it? - Express - January 29th, 2020
- Charlize Theron Losing Weight From Diet & Exercise Routine - The Bulletin Time - January 29th, 2020
- Sleep and Muscle Growth: Why You Need Sleep to Get Fit - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 29th, 2020
- Universal Kidney Arteriosclerosis Screenings Critically Important for People with Lupus Nephritis - Lupus Foundation of America - January 29th, 2020
- How to improve your mental health with proper diet and yoga - News Landed - January 29th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Lilly's Blood Sugar Combo Pill Approved - PharmaLive - January 29th, 2020
- Socialise your way to good health - The New Indian Express - January 29th, 2020
- Four In Ten Have Suffered From Work Burnout - Spin1038 - January 29th, 2020
- 'Meal Prepping And Discovering CrossFit Helped Me Escape A Vicious Cycle Of Emotional Eating' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- This is how Yale researchers say to approach the Keto diet - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Dementia care: Drinking this fruit juice may reduce your risk of developing the condition - Express - January 29th, 2020
- Diet Demand Analyzes Weight Loss Surgery: List of Pros and Cons - Yahoo Finance - January 28th, 2020
- Improve Brain Health with Diet, Exercise and Less Stress - EVENT NEWS - January 28th, 2020
- Keep it simple: 4 small lifestyle changes that will improve your health - KSL.com - January 28th, 2020
- Which exercises help sculpt your abs, and how to do them at home - INSIDER - January 28th, 2020
- Drs. Oz & Roizen:Treating chronic dry mouth; the relationship between exercise and lower cancer risk - The Union Leader - January 28th, 2020
- Jobs leaving half of workers too tired to exercise - Irish Examiner - January 28th, 2020
- 'The Biggest Loser' is back on TV. Get ready for ramped-up fat-shaming and dangerous diets. - NBCNews.com - January 28th, 2020
- From headaches to heart disease: How your diet can improve your health - Global News - January 28th, 2020
- Study Sees Rise in Lonely Americans, and the Workplace Might Play a Part - Occupational Health and Safety - January 28th, 2020