If youre looking to lose weight while promoting heart health, you may have come across the 3-Day Cardiac Diet.
This eating pattern provides a simple meal plan and claims to help you lose up to 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in only 3 days. However, it has been heavily criticized for being overly restrictive, ineffective, and dangerous.
This article evaluates the effectiveness and downsides of the 3-Day Cardiac Diet.
BOTTOM LINE: The 3-Day Cardiac Diet is highly restrictive and unsustainable, and its not based on science. Although it may lead to weight loss, weight regain is likely once you resume a normal diet.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet is said to boost weight loss and enhance heart health.
Also known as the Birmingham Diet, its rumored to have been developed at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, although theres no evidence to support this. Some say it was created to help people with heart disease lose weight before surgery.
Proponents claim that it can help you lose up to 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in just 3 days.
The plan sets strict rules for which foods you should consume for 3 consecutive days during the week. During the remaining 4 days, you can enjoy whichever foods youd like.
This cycle should be repeated at the beginning of the next week as many times as necessary until you reach your goal weight.
The meal plan provides detailed information about which foods to eat at which meals, as well as the amounts of each food permitted. During the 3 days, no other ingredients are allowed, nor can any substitutions can be made.
Meals revolve primarily around toast and a source of protein. The calorie count is extremely low, at 8001,000 calories per day.
The diet sets no guidelines for lifestyle changes, such as physical activity or hydration.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet requires dieters to follow a strict meal plan for 3 consecutive days and a normal diet for the remainder of the week.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet sets strict limits on foods you can eat during specific meals. Meals generally consist of a protein source paired with fruits, vegetables, toast, or saltine crackers.
Salt and pepper are the only permitted spices. For dessert, vanilla ice cream is allowed once per day during dinner.
No other ingredients or substitutions are allowed.
The foods you can eat on the 3-Day Cardiac Diet are:
If a food doesnt appear in the list above, you can assume that its banned on the diet.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet limits you to a tiny selection of fruits, vegetables, dairy products, proteins, and grains.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet claims to help you drop 10 pounds (4.5 kg) quickly while improving heart health.
Because the diet is very restrictive and limits the amount of food you can eat, its very low in calories and may lead to short-term weight loss.
Keep in mind that almost any diet with a daily calorie count of 8001,000 will lead to a drop in body weight. Thats because youd be consuming fewer calories than your body burns, which would result in weight loss.
However, cutting calories too much may lead to side effects like hunger, nausea, headaches, and fatigue (1).
Furthermore, the diets restrictions only apply for 3 days of the week. You eat a normal diet during the other 4 days, meaning that your weight may fluctuate widely.
As such, the diet may be unsustainable in the long run and lead to weight regain once you resume a normal diet. Thats because it fails to promote long-term lifestyle changes or healthy eating habits (2, 3).
Although no evidence supports the notion that the 3-Day Cardiac Diet benefits heart health, it limits most processed foods, which may be beneficial.
That said, while it cuts out most processed and high sugar foods, it allows large portions of ice cream, beef franks, white bread, and diet soda, all of which have been linked to adverse cardiovascular outcomes (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9).
According to a large study in over 105,000 people, those who ate more ultra-processed foods had a higher risk of heart disease over an average of 5 years (10).
Still, the 3-Day Cardiac Diet is only followed for short bursts, with no guidelines for what to eat during the rest of the week. Thus, additional research is needed to determine how other components of the diet may affect heart health.
Although the 3-Day Cardiac Diet may lead to short-term weight loss and limits many processed foods, its short-term, restrictive nature likely nullifies these benefits.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet is linked to several potential downsides and side effects.
One of the biggest drawbacks of the 3-Day Cardiac Diet is that very little evidence supports it.
No solid studies back its claims that you can lose 10 pounds (4.5 kg) rapidly or improve heart health on this diet. In fact, it eliminates many foods that support heart health, including whole grains and many fruits, vegetables, and legumes (11).
This eating plan can be classified as a crash diet that isnt based on sound science.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet includes a very limited selection of foods in small amounts.
Substitutions arent permitted, making the diet difficult to follow if you have any dietary restrictions or particular food preferences. It may also be challenging for adventurous eaters or those who enjoy experimenting in the kitchen.
Furthermore, you may run the risk of nutrient deficiencies if you follow several cycles of the diet, especially because the diet cannot be tailored to people with different body sizes, activity levels, or nutritional needs.
Remember that the diet provides an average of 8001,000 calories per day, which is well below the amount that most adults need (6).
This can not only leave you feeling hungry but also cause you to experience fatigue, nausea, and headaches (1).
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet requires that you carefully measure foods and adhere to strict guidelines, which may be difficult and time-consuming.
Additionally, its highly restrictive and doesnt offer any flexibility, which can encumber social situations, travel, and family meals.
Furthermore, some of these restrictions may promote an unhealthy relationship with food.
Thus, its likely more challenging to maintain in the long run, compared with other eating plans.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet is highly restrictive, dangerous, and difficult to follow. Plus, it isnt backed by research.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet provides strict food and meal composition guidelines.
Keep in mind that no substitutions or additional ingredients are permitted. Salt and pepper are allowed, but other seasonings, herbs, and spices arent.
You can drink black coffee or tea with breakfast, while diet soda is allowed in some variations of the diet.
Here is a sample meal plan for the 3-Day Cardiac Diet:
The sample menu above details some of the 3-Day Cardiac Diets limited meal options.
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet is geared toward people looking for an easy way to lose weight and improve their heart health.
However, its not only unsupported by research but also associated with a slew of potential side effects. It dangerously restricts calories, may promote unhealthy eating habits, and possibly lead to weight regain over time.
Instead, a well-rounded diet rich in nutritious ingredients is a better option for improved heart health and weight management. For best results, be sure to pair your diet with a healthy lifestyle and regular physical activity.
Read the original:
The 3-Day Cardiac Diet: Effectiveness, Downsides, and Menu - Healthline
- The biggest weight loss transformations of 2020 - Fox News - December 31st, 2020
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Insider - INSIDER - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- 12 Side Effects of Eating Oatmeal, Say Dietitians | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 31st, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market insights from profiling key companies based on financial position, product portfolio, and... - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Top Leading Companies, Consumption, Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends Forecast to 2027|- Ajinomoto Co,... - December 31st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Johnson Health Tech,... - December 31st, 2020
- Upgrade your weight loss plan by adding these winter foods to your diet - Times Now - December 22nd, 2020
- Balance by BistroMD review: Pros and cons - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Shows Boosted Growth Rate in Forecast to 2026 | Coherent Market Insights - The Monitor - December 22nd, 2020
- Keto Weight Loss: What to Expect After 1 Week - Healthline - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Global Status and Business Outlook 2020 to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 20th, 2020
- Talking to Kids about Weight: What the Internet Says and Why Researchers Are Wary - DrexelNow - Drexel Now - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Per - GroundAlerts.com - December 20th, 2020
- Intellihealth: Integrates Population Management with Primary Care to Enhance Weight Loss Outcomes - MedicalResearch.com - December 20th, 2020
- The Healthiest Diets of 2020, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 | (COVID 19 Analysis) Offered In New Most recent Research Report with... - December 20th, 2020
- MannKind and Vertice to Co-Promote Thyquidity (levothyroxine sodium) Oral Solution - GlobeNewswire - December 20th, 2020
- Associations of time-restricted eating with health-related quality of life and sleep in adults: a secondary analysis of two pre-post pilot studies -... - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Market Feed - November 27th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Weight Watchers,... - November 27th, 2020
- 3 Important Things to Lower Weight Loss Surgery Risks - TheHealthMania - November 27th, 2020
- 12 Ways To Prevent Holiday Weight Gain This December - Longevity LIVE - November 27th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Egg White Powder Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Grade, Distribution Channel, and... - November 27th, 2020
- SWIFt Study: Weight-loss strategy aims to prioritise the 'health' of our healthcare workers - Monash Lens - November 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- Stress Weight Loss: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention - Greatist - November 25th, 2020
- Age is not a barrier to losing weight, study finds - Atlanta Journal Constitution - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research... - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - November 25th, 2020
- Add more plant-based options to your diet with this healthy 7-day flexitarian meal plan - Insider - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of Covid-19 On Women Weight Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 25th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Health and Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Weight... - November 25th, 2020
- SavvyWP.com Highlights the Importance of Weight Management Over the Holiday Season - The News Front - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Khabar South Asia - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2018 to 2028 - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Collagen Market Worth $7.53 billion by 2027- Exclusive Report Covering Pre and Post COVID-19 Market Analysis by Meticulous Research - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Devices Market Report 2020 Significant Trends and Factors Driving the Market Development Forecast to 2027 - ICOTodayMagazine - November 24th, 2020
- Weight Management Market With Top Countries data : Evolving Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis 2026 | Herbalife International Inc., NutriSystem... - November 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: I gave up my biggest addiction Maggi and lost 20 kilos in 5 months with diet control and workout! - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- High-protein total replacement diet helps burn fat: Here's how you can switch to it for effective weight loss - Times Now - November 24th, 2020
- Advances in the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease - The BMJ - November 24th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR by 2026 : Weight Watchers, Abbott Nutrition, The Coca-Cola, Pepsico,... - November 24th, 2020
- Could people achieve remission of type 2 diabetes without needing to lose weight? - On Medicine - BMC Blogs Network - November 24th, 2020
- Online Weight Loss Programs Market will surge to the highest levels By 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 24th, 2020
- Kaleb Wesson: 'I can operate the pick-and-pop at the highest level' - Hoops Hype - November 24th, 2020
- What Is the Healthiest Bread? - msnNOW - November 24th, 2020
- Winning isn't always about taking first, sometimes it's about being there at all - Williston Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- 5 Tips to work your way out of a food rut - TheHealthSite - November 5th, 2020
- Menopause Weight Gain: Is It Inevitable? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 5th, 2020
- Innerme's Organic Plant-Based Sports Nutrition Supplements Debuted This Month at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports... - October 22nd, 2020
- Trends Of Weight Management Packaged Foods Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- INNOVIOM Debuted Tranquini and Wowie Relaxation Beverages at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports Nutrition Program for... - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market to 2026: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - News by Decresearch - October 22nd, 2020
- There's a New Reason You Can't Lose Weight, According to Science - Best Life - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market 2020-2026 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights. -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected To Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 22nd, 2020
- Bongmi Group launches InFasting App - A Powerful and Effective New Digital Intermittent Fasting Tool - PRNewswire - October 22nd, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Aerobic Vs. Anaerobic: Which Is Better For Weight Loss And Performance? - generationiron.com - October 21st, 2020
- This Weight Loss Method Could Add Years to Your Life, New Study Finds - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss & Weight Management Market 2020 Size, Share, Regional Growth, Trends, Methods, Applications, Equipment vendors, Business Prospects and... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Management Supplements Market by Industry Trends, Statistics, key Companies Growth and Regional Forecast by 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Growth And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Companies, Types,... - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market to Register Steady Growth During 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Forecasts To 2027: Global Industry Growth, Share, Size, Trends And Segmentation Report - Stock Market Vista - October 21st, 2020
- The best time to walk for weight loss - Times of India - October 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman loses 5st and credits belly fat loss to this simple diet - Express - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market at a Rapid Growth Pace Until 2027 With Top Companies to Watch Out in COVID 19: Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - October 16th, 2020
- Pain Management, Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Drinking Less Alcohol - News18 - October 16th, 2020
- Doing This Each Morning Is The Key To Weight Loss - KYR News - October 16th, 2020
- How Weight Management Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - October 16th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Yale Clinical and Translational Research Accelerator collaborate to explore potential benefits of digital health technologies... - October 16th, 2020
- Livongo to Release Results for the Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2020 - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Walking At This Time Can Help You Lose More Weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Products Market Overview and Scope 2020 to 2025 | FinancialContent Business Page - Financial Content - October 16th, 2020